Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 05/2014 - Prepaid cellphones - new rules

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Re: 05/2014 - Prepaid cellphones - new rules

Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    If you have not already registered your phone, when you hit the ground in the next month and before you register it...you might still be able to use it to receive calls and texts but not make calls and texts. Had I owned an Orange sim, I could have registered it in most company stores, but that is not the case for Claro where you have to go to their main regional office. I am going to get a second sim in my dual sim card phone (Orange or Viva). I wonder what kind of signal Viva has up on the north coast? I will have to ask around... Anyways below is my phone/DR story...

I drove from Cabarete to Puerto Plata to register my pre paid phone and do some other things about five days before the June 12 deadline. They registered it for me in the computer and all seemed fine for two days after the deadline. However on June 16th the phone stopped working. I could still receive phone calls and texts but could not make phone calls or make a text. I went to the Claro offices in Cabarete and Sosua and they both told me my phone was activated and should work but that they could not help me and I had to go back to Puerto Plata to the main office to find out what happened. I went to the main office for the second time a few days later and waited in line for about 45 minutes. A nice woman registered my phone and told me it would take about 30 minutes to be re-activated. I asked what happened and she did not know...she just said "something happened" So I left hoping I would not have to return. Fortunately the second time the phone actually started to work in about 15 minutes or so after leaving the office.
    I have one claro number that is on a monthly plan so no problem there. I have an Orange sim and another Claro sim that are not registered in my name. Neither has stopped working yet. No way I am going to Puerto Plata and do that wait in line BS. If it comes down to it I will just get new sim cards in my name.
    Enjoy it while you can.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    I have one claro number that is on a monthly plan so no problem there. I have an Orange sim and another Claro sim that are not registered in my name. Neither has stopped working yet. No way I am going to Puerto Plata and do that wait in line BS. If it comes down to it I will just get new sim cards in my name.
    The last sim card I bought was 100 pesos or maybe it was 300 pesos. Either way, not worth a special trip to POP unless you need to keep your number.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

I was just there June 23rd. My cell and orange sim worked just fine. I made calls, received calls, text, etc. Does that mean they just haven't gotten to my sim card number yet??

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    I was just there June 23rd. My cell and orange sim worked just fine. I made calls, received calls, text, etc. Does that mean they just haven't gotten to my sim card number yet??
    I think it depends. I bought an Orange sim on the beach last year, not registered to me or anyone else. That was cancelled around June 25 or so. I have a Claro Sim that is not registered to me but is registered to some chica I have never met. I have received messages to "validate" my number several times but it has not been blocked in any way. Still works fine; for now.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,716 Times in 4,467 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    my phone also worked until last week but no biggie. I would rather get a new one than go to pop like mentioned earlier.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SrSuerte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

I just got back.
    Was there June 26-July 2 and here is how it worked out for me.

I have a claro sim card that I originally bought and registered with my passport at the Claro store by Bailey's a couple of years ago.
    I have been keeping it active by topping it off through callingmart.com every 60 days and it has been working fine and I have never lost any of my accumulated balance.

Upon my arrival on the 26 it was active and showing I still had my balance but my phone would not let me make and receive calls, send text messages or use data for internet.

I initially made the decision that I would not incur the time or cost drive to Puerto Plata and get it registered at the Claro store there.

I went to the Orange store in Sosua by Banco Popular to get a new sim and was not able to get one because their system for registering foreign passport numbers was not functional that day and was told to come back the next day.

The next day they told me it was working for a short time but was again not functioning and I would not be able to purchase and register a sim card with them until it started working again.

Frustrated I decided to go to the Claro store by Bailey's to see if there were any options. I was thinking perhaps I could get a new sim card and than transfer my balance to the new account and do all of this without having to go to PP to register it.

As luck would have it I happened to have a Dominican amiga with me that I trust somewhat and the gentleman allowed me to register my phone number off from her cedula.

Presto, 20 minutes later my phone was working fine.
    I could make and receive calls, send and receive texts and access the internet and my complete balance on my account was available to me.

Now granted the account is not registered to me but I don't really care as I will be able to use it as before and if it ever gets shut down I will do something else.

The amiga is on Orange and has no idea what my balance is so my balance should be safe

Problem solved and all without a trip to PP.

This method may not work for everyone but it worked for me

So there are options
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

12. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

I had that exact same issue JD....I was like wtf no store would give me a sim card...the airport or all stores in boca.

My amiga put it on her account and I got a sim also....

Not good....Hope they fix those computers

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

Thanks, JD and Hunter for the update. I will be in Boca Sunday. And was planning just to get a new number in my name.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

I am with Orange. When I arrived about a week ago, I went to the store next to Banco Popular. I stood in the line for 45 minutes, my turn an they told me the passport system was not working, come back in 3 days. I went back last Friday and big surprise, the system was still not working, he said to come back on Monday. I left there and went to Playero to get some food. I noticed there was no one at the Orange booth there so I asked the girl if she could fix my sim....she said yes. She looked at my card and it was registered to some Dominican guy. She said she could change it over but she needed things like, an address, the last 3 numbers I had called and it would take about an hour. I asked her if I could buy a new sim instead....10 minutes later I had a new card and number registered to my passport.

Note: a buddy went today to the Orange store in Playero and they told him the passport system is down there.....
    Give me a chair on a beach....hand me a beer....have some chicas hanging around....oh happy days!!

C.I.S.O.C.

18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    I just got back.

I have a claro sim card that I originally bought and registered with my passport at the Claro store by Bailey's a couple of years ago.
    I have been keeping it active by topping it off through callingmart.com every 60 days and it has been working fine and I have never lost any of my accumulated balance.

Upon my arrival on the 26 it was active and showing I still had my balance but my phone would not let me make and receive calls, send text messages or use data for internet.

I initially made the decision that I would not incur the time or cost drive to Puerto Plata and get it registered at the Claro store there.

I went to the Orange store in Sosua by Banco Popular to get a new sim and was not able to get one because their system for registering foreign passport numbers was not functional that day and was told to come back the next day.

The next day they told me it was working for a short time but was again not functioning and I would not be able to purchase and register a sim card with them until it started working again.

Frustrated I decided to go to the Claro store by Bailey's to see if there were any options. I was thinking perhaps I could get a new sim card and than transfer my balance to the new account and do all of this without having to go to PP to register it.

As luck would have it I happened to have a Dominican amiga with me that I trust somewhat and the gentleman allowed me to register my phone number off from her cedula.

I could make and receive calls, send and receive texts and access the internet and my complete balance on my account was available to me.

Now granted the account is not registered to me but I don't really care as I will be able to use it as before and if it ever gets shut down I will do something else.

The amiga is on Orange and has no idea what my balance is so my balance should be safe

So there are options
    Well, yes, you have a cell and it works.
    But, legally the cell and # is hers. Who cares.
    When you make a call and receive a call, guess who shows up
    on the display window? Your chica amiga.
    But WTF it works.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twodogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Question, if it is a prepaid number in someone's name and has low balance, are there any risks? Here is NA it's called a fuckphone sort of.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Well, yes, you have a cell and it works.
    But, legally the cell and # is hers. Who cares.
    When you make a call and receive a call, guess who shows up
    on the display window?
    Your chica amiga.
    But WTF it works.
    I guess I don't understand what you mean by a display window?

I would not say the cell phone legally belongs to her and never will.
    It is the sim card which contains the number and not the phone that is registered to her.
    That sim card can be moved to any phone that it will fit and it will work instantly.

The phone works and it was done with little hassle which was my goal and I accomplished that.

Just letting others know there are options.

Clearly this method is not going to work for everyone as I would not do it with just any chica off the street.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

I guess I don't understand what you mean by a display window?

I would not say the cell phone legally belongs to her and never will.
    It is the sim card which contains the number and not the phone that is registered to her.
    That sim card can be moved to any phone that it will fit and it will work instantly.

The phone works and it was done with little hassle which was my goal and I accomplished that.

Just letting others know there are options.

Clearly this method is not going to work for everyone as I would not do it with just any chica off the street.
    The display window means the cel ph. screen.

To be honest with you.. The gov't just wants to have a name associated with a cel phone number. That's all it is. Obviously, they don't care what kind of cel phone it is. They want to stop the nonsense of anonymous calls.

If you make a prank call to 911, they'll check the number, and they'll see it belongs to some girl. Why would anyone be worried about that?(except the girl maybe)

The 911 fiasco is one of the main reasons for doing the whole "register numbers" shit in the first place.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    The display window means the cel ph. screen.
    Thanks I thought that's what he meant.
    In my experience the only time a name shows up with a number is if they are already in your contact list otherwise all you see is the number and no name.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

In my experience the only time a name shows up with a number is if they are already in your contact list otherwise all you see is the number and no name.
    I think Verizon and perhaps other carriers do to, have a service where you pay for it and the name comes up even if you do not have their contact info saved. It works great with companies, LLCs etc I only noticed it when the free subscription ended and considering actually adding it to my bill since i don't like to pick up phone calls from people don't know

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    I think Verizon and perhaps other carriers do to, have a service where you pay for it and the name comes up even if you do not have their contact info saved. It works great with companies, LLCs etc I only noticed it when the free subscription ended and considering actually adding it to my bill since i don't like to pick up phone calls from people don't know

Ok thanks but we were talking about the Claro phone service

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Try making some calls to anyone you know that has a newer cell. and see if her name shows up.
    Text someone you know, if you use Whatsapp or Viber and see if her name shows up.
    Obviously your # and her name will show up if you had to use 911.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twodogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Try making some calls to anyone you know that has a newer cell. and see if her name shows up.
    Text someone you know, if you use Whatsapp or Viber and see if her name shows up.
    Obviously your # and her name will show up if you had to use 911.

Bud I think you are somewhat confused.
    This is a Claro Dominican sim card not a US based sim card being used in an iphone 4s

Once you leave the Claro Dominican airspace they dont work anymore.

A text sent from Claro phone to US phone which I did when I was there in order to see that the phone was operational comes up as the name I have in my contact list on my phone.

Any other calls or text I would receive that were not in my contact list would only show the number, never a name.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't think it works that way.

Maybe on your US based phone but not in Dominicano land

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,733 Times in 1,193 Posts

(I have a claro and orange phone, my claro phone had stoped working. I had two choice:
    - Go puerto plata and make the line under my name
    - Find someone to do it for me.

I talked with motoconcho and he found some dominican with cedula to do it for me, 400 pesos and 3 minute later my phone was registred.

From what I heard at the claro store, the passport can have only 2 or 3 lines prepaid but the dominican with cedula have no limit of prepaid phone they can have on their name. Many dominican will accept to let you use their cedula for some pesos to register your phone ( I actually entered the claro store with the guy cedula by myself the guy at claro store didnt even care he just needed number of cedula). They are not losing anyhting by doing so.

And if you guys dont care about losing your number the german brother store are now again selling orange activated sim card(when the new rules had came they stoped for some days) for 100 pesos ( come with some minute on them, funny thing is i actually bought a orange sim card (for a chica) for 100 pesos and it had 125 peso on it.. i guess its mistake he sold me that one but anyway.)
    Want to buy ISOC Subscription and pay in Bitcoins?
    2 year : Bitcoin
    1 year : Bitcoin
    Bitcoin Address: 1KnSXcmWbZPcHeWxvmBPKAq71EHCRYCGjq

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to martin0siddle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

I just got back.

So there are options

Thanks again JD. When I arrived in Boca Chica Last night, my claro phone was blocked after a few years of use. I had a chica on the way to meet me. Thanks goodness for having a friend here. His phone was also block. But I used his chicas phone to set up the meet and later my chica sent a text to her, when she arrived at the hotel here in boca. This morning we went to the claro store and they said the same thing. Could not use my passport to set up a new number. So I now have a new number under my chicas cedula number. Now all is well.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information