Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 07/2014 - Opening a Bank Account in the DR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 273 Posts

07/2014 - Opening a Bank Account in the DR

Could someone explain to me the process of opening a bank account in the DR that could be linked to a US bank account for easy money transfers?? Thank you for any insight you could provide.
    "The Brinks Truck Never Follows The Hearse"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to howudoen For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Re: Opening a Bank Account in the DR

Quote Originally Posted by howudoen View Post
    Could someone explain to me the process of opening a bank account in the DR that could be linked to a US bank account for easy money transfers?? Thank you for any insight you could provide.
    You don't. We've gone over this before.

I'm sure it can be done, but I've given up trying. I withdraw money when I need it from my US account, and deposit it in my DR account. In my case, I was trying to do it without leaving the island. My stateside bank will not transfer to my account if I am not there personally to initiate the transfer.

Most major banks here have accounts in the states set up for this type of transfer. So, if I were in the states and want to transfer money to my account in the DR, I would do a transfer to the banks account in the states with the pertinent information, and they would credit my account here.

If you're looking to fund a chica here, just have an account in the states and give her the ATH card. That way you control how much she takes out.

Since I am by no means an expert on US banking, maybe somebody here will be happy to expand on the procedure.
    Last edited by MrHappy; 07-21-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Re: 07/2014 - Opening a Bank Account in the DR

With most of the major, international banks in the US you can initiate an international wire transfer from that bank to a bank in another country. You need an account in that bank and you can do it on-line in many cases as long as you have the routing numbers and account numbers necessary. I used to use HSBC in the states and I could do all that on-line. I could even set up a repeating, monthly wire transfer.

The problem is the fees involved as it can cost you $50 for each transfer.

The best option is to go on-line and open a Charles Schwab checking account. With the Schwab debit card you can withdraw money anywhere in the world with NO FEES. Now I do what Happy does. Every month I withdraw money from my Schwab account at an ATM here in the DR and then deposit it in my bank here. It costs me nothing to do this.

I used the card recently in Kenya with no issues at all and, again, no fees. Perfect.
    Enjoy it while you can.

Thanks

What I need it for is a one shot deal for now, I want to buy a vehicle in the DR, It will be for a family member who lives there. Probably like a 2010ish Toyota Tacoma King Cab or something like that. I'm not comfortable with carrying that type of cash on an airplane.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to howudoen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

What I need it for is a one shot deal for now, I want to buy a vehicle in the DR, It will be for a family member who lives there. Probably like a 2010ish Toyota Tacoma King Cab or something like that. I'm not comfortable with carrying that type of cash on an airplane.
    Pull it out on your ATM cards.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor JDR of Medellin View Post
    Pull it out on your ATM cards.
    $15,000 to $20,000 G's out of a Dominican ATM that might take 2 months

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to howudoen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Some banks you can take out 40,000 pesos per day. So carry half the cash and take the rest out using ATM over the course of 7 days.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I could open an account in say Banco Popular when I am there, then when I come back to the states I could bank wire the money to that account and when I go back just take it out of Banco in a one shot deal correct?? I might get shot pulling out of the parking lot but I think this might be the easiest way

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to howudoen For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I could open an account in say Banco Popular when I am there, then when I come back to the states I could bank wire the money to that account and when I go back just take it out of Banco in a one shot deal correct?? I might get shot pulling out of the parking lot but I think this might be the easiest way
    Why not carry a bank check? Or, Find your vehicle, get the account number of the dealer, and deposit the money in their account?

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's why I pay Jimmy my subscription fee's so I have access to smarter brains than me. Thank you for the good ideas

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to howudoen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Why not carry a bank check? Or, Find your vehicle, get the account number of the dealer, and deposit the money in their account?
    Maybe I am wrong, but there may be a problem. I am not sure if you actually can travel with a cheque over 10K in USD. Then, it may still take 3-4 weeks to clear. Also, if you loose a banking cheque it may take you years to get it refunded.

I would verify if you can wire money directly to a dealer or your attorney's account in trust.

You can open a USD account with $500 deposit, banking letters of reference and 2 pieces of ID. Then make a SWIFT transfer. Dominican bank won't like it if you tell them it is for one time transfer. They won't open it in this case.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Maybe I am wrong, but there may be a problem. I am not sure if you actually can travel with a cheque over 10K in USD. Then, it may still take 3-4 weeks to clear. Also, if you loose a banking cheque it may take you years to get it refunded.

I would verify if you can wire money directly to a dealer or your attorney's account in trust.

You can open a USD account with $500 deposit, banking letters of reference and 2 pieces of ID. Then make a SWIFT transfer. Dominican bank won't like it if you tell them it is for one time transfer. They won't open it in this case.
    That's not the question. You can travel with anything you want. The question is........

Can they catch him carrying it?????

Remember, it's only illegal if they catch you!!!

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It's not against the law to carry more than 10K, it's against the law to not report it.

As long as you report it, you're good to go with any amount.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    It's not against the law to carry more than 10K, it's against the law to not report it.

As long as you report it, you're good to go with any amount.
    Try to board JFK-SJU with a pile of cash, declare and report You are right, though, as always.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Try to board JFK-SJU with a pile of cash, declare and report You are right, though, as always.
    I wouldn't try to do it with cash, but I did carry and report a check for 286K once from a sale of options. Nobody blinked twice.

In all fairness, that was 14 years ago.

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I got questioned for a Roll of QUARTERS once, cuz it set off the xray for my carry on..
    First and ONLY time. so i cant imagine what Cavities they would search if you brought 100K in cash in your carry on...

The punchline though with the quarters was
    She (tsa) really asked this question

" how much $ is that in that Roll of quarters" ?

it took all my restraint to not laugh in her face & say something sarcastic....

They dont seem to mind wads of CASH in your pocket though, in fact I think they expect it
    , wether its $100 bills or whatever ..
    I hightly doubt they can do the math in their heads..based in my above example alone..

you can test it by putting a couple $100 bills over like 100 or more Singles with a rubber band.. ( if you wanna you know , make it rain )

I dont think they would say anything

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 377 Posts

Im not sure that would be safe at all. Can you imagine the hassle a person would have to deal with if the wrong people found out you had that much money in an account there ?

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonew1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It all depends where are you located in the States. Banco Popular has branches in New York and you should be able to open an account there. This way there are no transfer fees in the Dominican Republic. Go to there site and look for their locator for the branch nears you.
    Live & Let Live! And Always Remember To Drink & Fuck Wisely

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to osanhopps For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osanhopps View Post
    It all depends where are you located in the States. Banco Popular has branches in New York and you should be able to open an account there. This way there are no transfer fees in the Dominican Republic. Go to there site and look for their locator for the branch nears you.
    As I mentioned before, one does not make a transfer to an account in the DR. One makes a transfer to an BPD account in the states, and they credit your account in the DR.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osanhopps View Post
    These banks are not related.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information