Thread: 07/2014 - Caribe Tours: Recent fatalities in accidents! :(

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

07/2014 - Caribe Tours: Recent fatalities in accidents! :(

When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cool Re: Caribe Tours: Recent fatalities in accidents! :(

There have been 2 major accidents involving Caribe Tours in the last week or so with many serious injuries and many deaths reported.

DR1 has a thread on it as well but it is all over the place....conflicting reports but it sure gives one an idea of the current issues. It also raises some questions such as how many of these, perhaps more minor but still, that go un(der)reported????

I love travelling all over the island and do it often but....I may have to just fly into different locals, stay much closer/not travel as widely and go to different places on each trip.

Not sure yet.....

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,102 Times in 1,088 Posts

Re: Caribe Tours: Recent fatalities in accidents! :(

with 10 times more deaths per 100k motor vehicules a year in the DR compared to Canada. its always very dangerous to be on these roads, no matter what vehicule.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Statistically Speaking (imo) You are still much better off in a BUS, than in a Car you are driving..
    For example, If you look closely, other motorists Yield an Enormous amount of " respect" for lack of a better word, when that big bus comes through..

Im not sure why specifically, whether they are picturing Families and children on board, or just because they dont want to get HIT by a Big Bus...
    The drivers seem to be VERY VERY good, imo.. I have watched them closely..these dudes know how to drive, they dont get picked for that job for nothing..
    imo, very professional

Driver Fatigue could be at Play here, (maybe they drive too many hours ?) or maybe just some other reasons..

but assuming they are bad drivers ? Not me.. I would need to see evidence of that.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Laughing Re: Caribe Tours: Recent fatalities in accidents! :(

Agreed, but it always appeared to me that the HUGE busses seemed to have a much better track record than the obviously questionable Guaguas and Publicos.

That "dream" is dead to me now.

I'm also pretty sure that I do no wish to be driving around the DR, at least not by myself.

I've been lucky enough to have friends with vehicles that are also good drivers who like to explore and I also often have driven, usually on the north coast or around Juan Dolio/Boca Chica, often at night, but avoiding The Capital and even Santiago, although I have driven in Santiago and the traffic sucks donkey ass.

Quote Originally Posted by michel3275 View Post
    with 10 times more deaths per 100k motor vehicules a year in the DR compared to Canada. its always very dangerous to be on these roads, no matter what vehicule.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Publicos in DR are probably the most dangerous things to be in. In the world. after the motoconchos.

Quote Originally Posted by Siochana View Post
    Agreed, but it always appeared to me that the HUGE busses seemed to have a much better track record than the obviously questionable Guaguas and Publicos.

That "dream" is dead to me now.

I'm also pretty sure that I do no wish to be driving around the DR, at least not by myself.

I've been lucky enough to have friends with vehicles that are also good drivers and I also often have driven, usually on the north coast or around Juan Dolio/Boca Chica, often at night, but avoiding The Capital and even Santiago, although I have driven in Santiago and the traffic sucks donkey ass.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Publicos in DR are probably the most dangerous things to be in. In the world. after the motoconchos.
    Altough i use them every day from sabaneta to sosua. i havent been on a motoconcho for at least a year. Walking increases my life expectancy. Both because of accidents and health

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Tough to call this one.

The 6 de Noviembre highway is a death trap. That's the same one where the two tractor trailers were "racing" after they had been drinking. There are so many accidents on it, they usually don't even get reported.

CT Drivers are usually very good, and so are drivers with large corporations like Cemento Santo Domingo. Both have to go through pretty rigorous training before they can get behind a wheel.

Not too many CT accidents have been determined to be the fault of the driver. It's usually somebody else that does something stupid that causes the accident.

Without knowing any details, I bet the third vehicle (a "platano pickup truck) pulled out in front of one of the two others, got hit, and whichever one hit that vehicle veered into the path of the other.

How many times have you seen a slow vehicle pull out in front of a speeding vehicle? I see it probably a dozen times a day. The driver usually doesn't have a clue about other vehicles around them; they pull out and expect everyone else to avoid them.

Edit: I just saw the video. That's exactly what happened. Three vehicles in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,733 Times in 1,193 Posts

this not good number because the 100k motor in DR are 95% motos and 5% other while in canada its 99% cars and 1% moto... we all know moto are more deadly then others... should compare death per XXXK cars, or moto for exemple on road.. which would actually be not good number because motors in DR are active 100% of the year while in canada many month too cold/snow......

We cant compare. end of story.
    Want to buy ISOC Subscription and pay in Bitcoins?
    2 year : Bitcoin
    1 year : Bitcoin
    Bitcoin Address: 1KnSXcmWbZPcHeWxvmBPKAq71EHCRYCGjq

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to martin0siddle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martin0siddle View Post
    this not good number because the 100k motor in DR are 95% motos and 5% other while in canada its 99% cars and 1% moto... we all know moto are more deadly then others... should compare death per XXXK cars, or moto for exemple on road.. which would actually be not good number because motors in DR are active 100% of the year while in canada many month too cold/snow......

We cant compare. end of story.
    You can play with numbers all week if you want, its much more dangerous on DR roads than Canada. its a fact and thats it

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You can play with numbers all week if you want, its much more dangerous on DR roads than Canada. its a fact and thats it

Shit i wasted my 1000th post on this

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Tough to call this one.

The 6 de Noviembre highway is a death trap. That's the same one where the two tractor trailers were "racing" after they had been drinking. There are so many accidents on it, they usually don't even get reported.

CT Drivers are usually very good, and so are drivers with large corporations like Cemento Santo Domingo. Both have to go through pretty rigorous training before they can get behind a wheel.

Not too many CT accidents have been determined to be the fault of the driver. It's usually somebody else that does something stupid that causes the accident.

Without knowing any details, I bet the third vehicle (a "platano pickup truck) pulled out in front of one of the two others, got hit, and whichever one hit that vehicle veered into the path of the other.

How many times have you seen a slow vehicle pull out in front of a speeding vehicle? I see it probably a dozen times a day. The driver usually doesn't have a clue about other vehicles around them; they pull out and expect everyone else to avoid them.

Edit: I just saw the video. That's exactly what happened. Three vehicles in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Someone once told me that both Caribe and Metro send their drivers to the US for professional training. Not sure how true this is. I have traveled a fair bit on both Caribe and Metro and I agree the drivers are very good.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,833 Times in 279 Posts

I did a webpage on ways of getting around in the Dominican Republic. Even with the accidents that happen there being without a car here in Canada is a major inconvenience and I appreciate the public transportation system for getting around on the north coast. Accidents, yes they do happen and the motoconcho accidents without being fatal are frequent. http://golfvacation.8m.com/photo3_1.html

Here is what the World Health Organization said about the Dominican Republic.

Such accidents, in fact, are shaping up as a major health crisis in this 11 million-person country. The Dominican Republic is effectively the deadliest nation anywhere for drivers. For every 100,000 inhabitants in the Dominican Republic, 42 die every year from traffic accidents, according to the World Health Organization. That's 4,620 fatalities a year.

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DominicanBilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DominicanBilly View Post
    I did a webpage on ways of getting around in the Dominican Republic. Even with the accidents that happen there being without a car here in Canada is a major inconvenience and I appreciate the public transportation system for getting around on the north coast. Accidents, yes they do happen and the motoconcho accidents without being fatal are frequent. [http://golfvacation.8m.com/photo3_1.html]

Here is what the World Health Organization said about the Dominican Republic.

Such accidents, in fact, are shaping up as a major health crisis in this 11 million-person country. The Dominican Republic is effectively the deadliest nation anywhere for drivers. For every 100,000 inhabitants in the Dominican Republic, 42 die every year from traffic accidents, according to the World Health Organization. That's 4,620 fatalities a year.
    Your link is dead, Bill.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Your link is dead, Bill.
    He put the last ] in the link... When the page opens, back space it out and hit enter, his page will then pull up!

Correct link - http://golfvacation.8m.com/photo3_1.html
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: 07/2014 - Caribe Tours: Recent fatalities in accidents! :(

So.. now it turns out the driver of the pickup was drunk. What a surprise. Not much left of his ride....

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thread Information