Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 07/2014 - Really? Spirit??

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

Re: 07/2014 - Really? Spirit??

How many of you got the FREE 8,000 miles by telling your complaints to Spirit??? I did!!!!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    How many of you got the FREE 8,000 miles by telling your complaints to Spirit??? I did!!!!!
    I only got the 15,000 miles for their CC, 6 times.

Thanks

I am certainly not going to argue that Spirit is a good airlines but in certain circumstances you can save a lot of money flying them. I live in South Florida and two times this past spring I flew to SDQ for $150.00 including their brutal baggage fees. I used 2,500 FF miles each way. I took a cab to Boca Chica and spent $50 per night for my hotel. Total cost of transportation (including taxi and $10 tourist fee) was $200. 3 nights in a hotel $150. That's hard to beat.

As others have suggested read the rules on their website carefully. However I do agree with the others that Spirit can be unreliable with respect to delays and cancelling flights. The delays can make things very difficult if you are connecting in Ft. Lauderdale. In other words anything more than a direct flight can be risky. The other problem is that with Spirit when something goes wrong it goes really wrong. Their customer service is terrible and if you get cancelled or they lose your bag your fucked.

If the prices are similar I take Jet Blue or American out of Miami. But if I can save a lot of $$$ I take Spirit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoseTalapia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

I ask for free vouchers worth $$ at united which also turn into miles

kevy and I had to spend an extra day in bkk this spring when Tokyo had a snow day

so I asked for my hotel cost and lost wages and cost of an extra day at parknfly combined with my used car salesman charm I got a voucher for $250 off any flight for the next year

so we booked a one way to vegas for sept for under an extra 100 bucks and we will also get 5,004 ff miles for the flight

( using aeroplan ff miles to get home)

kevy wins though as he got 2 nights free in a 4 star marriott hotel and I get to pay $120 in the dumpy hotel next door.......... but both rooms come with breakfast for two so we will be first at one and last at the other
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor JDR of Medellin View Post
    American cancelled a few flights and never called me.

There are guidelines and they all follow them.

I use spirit and will not be stopping any time soon.
    They didn't call me when they cancelled mine either. But they did send me an email. Which I received on mine cell phone and was able to plan accordingly. That's the difference.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    They didn't call me when they cancelled mine either. But they did send me an email. Which I received on mine cell phone and was able to plan accordingly. That's the difference.
    I don't get e mails thru my cell so I show up and they tell me at 5am its cancelled. I over hear some flight attendants talking about how the flight was empty so the cancelled.

I did get on the flight to Santiago and did get there but they all lie. Difference is American can put you on another flight to another city if you don't back down.

To me, saving $200 is worth the minor spirit bullshit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Maybe you don't care about saving $200 or more but I know I like saving it.

All my 6:30 am flights from NY got to Medellin on time every time.
    If it means getting shitty service, no, I don't care about saving $200. I guess that's a fundamental difference in viewpoint.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If it means getting shitty service, no, I don't care about saving $200. I guess that's a fundamental difference in viewpoint.
    Service is the same.

They all board the planes the same way, they all get in line for take off.

When you buy your ticket, you know that drinks are extra, baggage is extra. There are no suprises when you get there, in my opinion.

There must be 50 different airlines so you guys that don't like Spirit, never have to fly them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Why in the he'll would I do that? That would mean committing myself to more shitty service. That's like going to a restaurant, getting a horrible meal, complaining to the manager, and getting compensated with a voucher for more of their shitty food.

I've complained to Spirit and have been offered vouchers. At that point I generally tell them to kiss my ass.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Why in the he'll would I do that? That would mean committing myself to more shitty service. That's like going to a restaurant, getting a horrible meal, complaining to the manager, and getting compensated with a voucher for more of their shitty food.

I've complained to Spirit and have been offered vouchers. At that point I generally tell them to kiss my ass.
    Its more like going to Burger King and thinking you are at Ruth Chris Steak House.

I understand exactly what you mean. I would never fly coach to Thailand, only sleeper class for me.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Its more like going to Burger King and thinking you are at Ruth Chris Steak House.

I understand exactly what you mean. I would never fly coach to Thailand, only sleeper class for me.
    Not exactly. Because by the time Spirit finishes charging you for things other airlines like American and Copa provide for free, your ticket ends up being just as expensive.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not exactly. Because by the time Spirit finishes charging you for things other airlines like American and Copa provide for free, your ticket ends up being just as expensive.
    That is so not trru. Last time going to Meddy, I paid about $500 whereas Jetblue was about $700 and American about $800.

If it was the same or $10 cheaper, they wouldn't be sold out.

First I look at the other two and before you pay at the end of the Spirit process, you can hit cancel.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

This ongoing Spirit Air Debate is pretty funny,, but I agree with DC , if a company gives you shitty service, more than 1x, and others complain also, why give them another chance to fuck with your vacation.. even if they give you a free flight. or vouchers, its a matter of Principle.
    There are people here who travel like 10x a year ( God Bless them)
    , and others who travel only ONCE a year.. as indicated in some reports recently..

Now let’s be real,, IF you had ONE vacation a year, you carefully scheduled it, you packed all your stuff, you are all AMPED UP,,

would you then really give Spirit a chance to fuck it up just to save $200 or whatever .
    Guys even talk about BOOKING 6 months in advance, cuz they cant take a chance of NOT getting a ticket for their Scheduled days..
    they dont even care if the ticket price drops.. We dont bust their balls , do we ?

But I can totally see somebody who is RETIRED, or semi-retired, and has all the free time in the world. ( not mentioning names)... and the cheaper ticket has VALUE.. makes perfect sense..

Does anyone remember Peoples Express... ?? that was about as Budget as it came.. but somehow their SERVICE was TOP NOTCH..
    How did they manage to do it, and Spirit obviously cant... even with Computers, and all the modern technology..
    NOT NOTIFYING a customer of a Cancelled Flight is INEXCUSABLE..
    Not flying them, not even for free...

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post
    Now let’s be real,, IF you had ONE vacation a year, you carefully scheduled it, you packed all your stuff, you are all AMPED UP,,
    Take it further, you need to save $200 by taking Spirit? You shouldn't be going there.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Does anyone remember Peoples Express... ?? that was about as Budget as it came.. but somehow their SERVICE was TOP NOTCH..
    How did they manage to do it, and Spirit obviously cant... even with Computers, and all the modern technology..
    NOT NOTIFYING a customer of a Cancelled Flight is INEXCUSABLE..
    Not flying them, not even for free...

Spirit stock rises, and new routes are added and millions fly them.

Without Spirit, many families would go on zero vacations a year that require flying.

Family of 4 saving $1000, is alot.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

would you then really give Spirit a chance to fuck it up just to save $200 or whatever .
    Guys even talk about BOOKING 6 months in advance, cuz they cant take a chance of NOT getting a ticket for their Scheduled days..
    they dont even care if the ticket price drops.. We dont bust their balls , do we ?

American would give you the difference back in the past but that ended and when you call, they say, don't book that far in advance.

I tried to get on an earlier Delta flight home from Dr and they wanted to charge me $150. In the past, same day changes were free.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Spirit stock rises, and new routes are added and millions fly them.

Without Spirit, many families would go on zero vacations a year that require flying.

Family of 4 saving $1000, is alot.

Good for them.. Bless them.. they can keep it...
    Not for me, i got a short fuse and done need to be put on a NO FLY list cause I went ballistic on some Spirit Rep who is Lying in my face.
    so I dont put myself in that situation.
    I will gladly pay more... to be treated like a valued customer not a piece of Garbage.
    .. its nice when the lady at the counter says " nice to see you again Mr XYZ , and can we give you a free extra legroom seat today ".

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That is so not trru. Last time going to Meddy, I paid about $500 whereas Jetblue was about $700 and American about $800.

If it was the same or $10 cheaper, they wouldn't be sold out.

First I look at the other two and before you pay at the end of the Spirit process, you can hit cancel.
    I guess it depends on where you're flying from. Coming out of the DC area, I've found that I rarely save a lot of money with Spirit. The only reason I flew them this last time is because I knew I'd be traveling very light. But I still managed to somehow turn a $250 ticket into a $400 one (carryon, and seat selection). Which is close to what AA and Delta was charging. Thank god it was a direct flight. Otherwise it would have cost even more.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I guess it depends on where you're flying from. Coming out of the DC area, I've found that I rarely save a lot of money with Spirit. The only reason I flew them this last time is because I knew I'd be traveling very light. But I still managed to somehow turn a $250 ticket into a $400 one (carryon, and seat selection). Which is close to what AA and Delta was charging. Thank god it was a direct flight. Otherwise it would have cost even more.
    At the point it was almost the same price, you should have hit cancel and bought from the other guys?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

.. its nice when the lady at the counter says " nice to see you again Mr XYZ , and can we give you a free extra legroom seat today ".
    What airline said that to you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information