Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08/2014 - Street smarts for the North Coast / Cabarete

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

08/2014 - Street smarts for the North Coast / Cabarete

A friend of mine in Cabarete wrote the following "guide to surviving Cabarete" I don't agree with some of things and it makes the place sound much worse than it is. Some of us pick the worst things that happen and some pick the best... I happen to enjoy the North Coast and have a great time here, but the following list from my friend has something of value to the people on the board...

Damien's Guide to Surviving Cabarete
    Some notes from living in Cabarete for 8 years, and travelling the world for 20.

1. If you go out on Cabarete beach into crowds, make sure everything of value is tied to you with string. Wallet, Keys, Phone. Most of the hookers are also pickpockets, and some of them are really good. This especially applies to Semana Santa, the easter festival, when gangs of pickpockets come into town.
    2. Do Not take your credit card or ID with you when you go out. All you need is some cash. Take a photocopy of your ID if you have to.
    3. Do Not wear jewelry when you go out, it can be ripped off your body.
    4. If you are walking home and a Dominican chick approaches you, wanting to get close, hold a lit cigarette between you and her so she keeps her distance. If she is touching you, you are likely being pickpocked. Do Not let strangers get close enough to touch you.
    5. Do Not leave your brand new iPhone on the table. This is worth more than a month's wages for a dominican, and someone will be tempted to swipe it.
    6. If you are drunk and its getting close to closing time and a local girl is coming onto you, its probably not because you are especially charming or handsome, but rather because you have money. Best to clarify what she wants ahead of time.
    7. This can be a violent place. When dealing with angry or hostile people, keep your distance, and dont take your eyes off them. Keep your hands in front of you, at a level between your belly button and your ribcage, fingers touching or overlapped, with the backs of your hands facing outwards. This is a non-aggressive ready stance.
    8. Dominican women have special protections under the law. If you get into a fight with one, its better not to leave any marks. A punch in the tit is extremely painful and leaves no marks.
    9. If you are walking home along the beach late at night, walk by the waters edge - that way, you only have to keep an eye out on one side, and most dominicans cant swim, so you can escape by swimming away if you have to. You are better off paying 50 pesos to a moto concho who will take you home.
    10. Moto conchos can be your friends. Each pickup spot is run by a different gang. Pick one gang and give them your loyalty. They will give you theirs.
    11. Do Not give your actual drivers license to a policeman. They know exactly how much it will cost to replace, and can hold it to ransom. Always give them a photocopy.
    12. Do Not give anyone your passport. Ever. Some car rental places will insist on it. Find one that doesnt.
    13. Just say no to drugs. The Dominican government sent out agents to make street buys around the counrty, then tested what they bought. They found that the purity of street drugs was in the 3-5% range. You will have more fun drinking redbull.
    14. Do Not try to be polite. If you try to reply nicely to every street hustler or beach vendor, you will lose your voice and your mind. Just shoo them away like flies. For anyone who is persistent, say Dont Talk to Me! "No me hablan", or Drop It! "Suelta eso". If you say "No Gracias", you are signaling that you are a naive tourist in need of special attention.
    15. If youre staying in an all-inclusive and you go out at night, dont wear your wrist band - it just marks you as a naive tourist and you will get special attention from the vendors, hustlers and whores.
    16. Muffler burns, dominican tattoos, are extremely common. Put your left foot on the ground and swing your right off the bike. I used fresh aloe plant to treat mine, but be careful, aloe stains everything green.
    17. If youre riding a motorbike, plan to fall off at some point. Wear jeans and shoes and stuff that will protect your body. Dont go faster than you are willing to fall off or crash at - you are on vacation, no need to hurry. Wear your helmet.
    18. If you are driving and run over a dog or other animal, keep going. If you stop, some local will claim the animal is theirs and demand compensation. Its better to avoid such confrontations.
    19. If you are being quoted prices in US dollars, you are likely being ripped off.
    20. The best way to negotaiate is an impromptu dutch auction. Name your price, about 1/4 to 1/2 of their asking price, and then lower it every 10 seconds until they accept or walk away. This is best done with a partner who is pulling you away, increasing the time pressure on the vendor.
    21. If you are talking to a chick and she says she has a boyfriend, the best response is "I have one too, but he thinks I am gay". Note well: item 7.

A surprisingly large number of people have taken objection to this list as an insult to Dominicans or bad press for Cabarete.

When I wrote this list, I was thinking, "Here is some good advice for newcomers", not "hahahaha, this is going to piss a lot of people off"

Let me be clear, there is an actual real Cabarete story behind every single one of these peices of advice. I or someone I personally know, had an unpleasant experience, which might have been avoided by following this advice.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,102 Times in 1,088 Posts

Re: 08/2014 - Street smarts for the North Coast / Cabarete

A little extreme!
    he's making it look like every dominican is about to rob or kill you. And to shoo everybody like flies hmmmm
    Many times i wonder why some people move to dominican republic if they hate dominicans and\or are scared of them so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    A friend of mine in Cabarete wrote the following "guide to surviving Cabarete" I don't agree with some of things and it makes the place sound much worse than it is. Some of us pick the worst things that happen and some pick the best... I happen to enjoy the North Coast and have a great time here, but the following list from my friend has something of value to the people on the board...

Some notes from living in Cabarete for 8 years, and travelling the world for 20.

1. If you go out on Cabarete beach into crowds, make sure everything of value is tied to you with string. Wallet, Keys, Phone. Most of the hookers are also pickpockets, and some of them are really good. This especially applies to Semana Santa, the easter festival, when gangs of pickpockets come into town.
    2. Do Not take your credit card or ID with you when you go out. All you need is some cash. Take a photocopy of your ID if you have to.
    4. If you are walking home and a Dominican chick approaches you, wanting to get close, hold a lit cigarette between you and her so she keeps her distance. If she is touching you, you are likely being pickpocked. Do Not let strangers get close enough to touch you.
    5. Do Not leave your brand new iPhone on the table. This is worth more than a month's wages for a dominican, and someone will be tempted to swipe it.
    6. If you are drunk and its getting close to closing time and a local girl is coming onto you, its probably not because you are especially charming or handsome, but rather because you have money. Best to clarify what she wants ahead of time.
    7. This can be a violent place. When dealing with angry or hostile people, keep your distance, and dont take your eyes off them. Keep your hands in front of you, at a level between your belly button and your ribcage, fingers touching or overlapped, with the backs of your hands facing outwards. This is a non-aggressive ready stance.
    8. Dominican women have special protections under the law. If you get into a fight with one, its better not to leave any marks. A punch in the tit is extremely painful and leaves no marks.
    9. If you are walking home along the beach late at night, walk by the waters edge - that way, you only have to keep an eye out on one side, and most dominicans cant swim, so you can escape by swimming away if you have to. You are better off paying 50 pesos to a moto concho who will take you home.
    10. Moto conchos can be your friends. Each pickup spot is run by a different gang. Pick one gang and give them your loyalty. They will give you theirs.
    11. Do Not give your actual drivers license to a policeman. They know exactly how much it will cost to replace, and can hold it to ransom. Always give them a photocopy.
    12. Do Not give anyone your passport. Ever. Some car rental places will insist on it. Find one that doesnt.
    13. Just say no to drugs. The Dominican government sent out agents to make street buys around the counrty, then tested what they bought. They found that the purity of street drugs was in the 3-5% range. You will have more fun drinking redbull.
    14. Do Not try to be polite. If you try to reply nicely to every street hustler or beach vendor, you will lose your voice and your mind. Just shoo them away like flies. For anyone who is persistent, say Dont Talk to Me! "No me hablan", or Drop It! "Suelta eso". If you say "No Gracias", you are signaling that you are a naive tourist in need of special attention.
    15. If youre staying in an all-inclusive and you go out at night, dont wear your wrist band - it just marks you as a naive tourist and you will get special attention from the vendors, hustlers and whores.
    16. Muffler burns, dominican tattoos, are extremely common. Put your left foot on the ground and swing your right off the bike. I used fresh aloe plant to treat mine, but be careful, aloe stains everything green.
    17. If youre riding a motorbike, plan to fall off at some point. Wear jeans and shoes and stuff that will protect your body. Dont go faster than you are willing to fall off or crash at - you are on vacation, no need to hurry. Wear your helmet.
    18. If you are driving and run over a dog or other animal, keep going. If you stop, some local will claim the animal is theirs and demand compensation. Its better to avoid such confrontations.
    19. If you are being quoted prices in US dollars, you are likely being ripped off.
    20. The best way to negotaiate is an impromptu dutch auction. Name your price, about 1/4 to 1/2 of their asking price, and then lower it every 10 seconds until they accept or walk away. This is best done with a partner who is pulling you away, increasing the time pressure on the vendor.
    21. If you are talking to a chick and she says she has a boyfriend, the best response is "I have one too, but he thinks I am gay". Note well: item 7.

A surprisingly large number of people have taken objection to this list as an insult to Dominicans or bad press for Cabarete.

When I wrote this list, I was thinking, "Here is some good advice for newcomers", not "hahahaha, this is going to piss a lot of people off"

Let me be clear, there is an actual real Cabarete story behind every single one of these peices of advice. I or someone I personally know, had an unpleasant experience, which might have been avoided by following this advice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

that list goes for most any Third World country.......being smart and not stupid......saying NO etc......

though punching a Chica in the tits?

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

I don't agree with a few things on that list, but this?

1. If you are walking home and a Dominican chick approaches you, wanting to get close, hold a lit cigarette between you and her so she keeps her distance. If she is touching you, you are likely being pickpocked. Do Not let strangers get close enough to touch you.

that's what I'm there for!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,916 Times in 219 Posts

thanks for for sharing, but i"ve been to cabarete coulple of times.I split my trips between sosua, Cabarete , and Santiago. I stay at hotel Magnifico towards the northern end, 5 - 10 minute walk to center of beach/strip. Ive never had a problem walking late at night to my hotel With or without a chica . I actaually feel safe in cabarete. It actually has a more Vacation Vibe to it. I enjoy the beach , the bars and the discos, especially Ojos....good latin Dance music there..

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dvdmdz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Some notes from living in Cabarete for 8 years,

Jose when you see Damien again tell him he should call his list "The Restatement of the Obvious". For a newbie the list is so-so, for an experienced traveler the list is just common sense.

I have been in the hobby for over 9 years and miraculously I have never been robbed, pick pocketed, had the shit beat out of me, had my passport or drivers license stolen, and I have been drunk on many occasions. Why do people think guys in the hobby are dumb asses? Most of the guys I have meet in my travels are smart, well spoken and have good careers, professions or successful businesses. This hobby is not cheap. Thanks for taking the time to post.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JoseTalapia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

i use my atm and credit card all the time, we have fraud protection, and travel alerts. If lose it (which i have done) I call them and we review the charges; if something is wrong they fix it. They send a replacement.

In ny a replacement id is like $20?

"If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

Number 8 is interesting. If you get in a fight with a chica, instead of punching her in the face and leaving a mark, hit her in the tit where it will be painful but not leave a mark.

Is this guy actually condoning hitting a woman? Seriously?

Best he rethink that little "nugget" of advice. I don't care where on her body it is, a man should never feel the need to resort to punching a woman.

If it happens, then as far as I'm concerned, he gets what he deserves.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Number 8 is interesting. If you get in a fight with a chica, instead of punching her in the face and leaving a mark, hit her in the tit where it will be painful but not leave a mark.

Best he rethink that little "nugget" of advice. I don't care where on her body it is, a man should never feel the need to resort to punching a woman.

#8 Punch a woman? I don't think so. Unless I'm in imminent danger. I think that position is what the OP was trying to convey.

#2 Credit cards? I can count on one hand how many times I've had a problem with a CC in the last 30 years. I use mine daily.

#11 I have yet to meet an AMET that will take a copy of your license over the real deal. I have a sheet of paper that has my license, Residency, Cedula,insurance card and vehicle registration that I frequently use for ID purposes. Any time an AMET is given that sheet, they ask for the original drivers license. The rest of the copies are not a problem.

#14 Most vendors are simply waiting for you to acknowledge you have seen them. A slight shake of the head and then ignore them when they are looking at you is usually all it takes. DON'T SAY ANYTHING, if you do, they see that as the start of the negotiation process.

After reading that list and the accompanying comments, I don't think I want to go to Cabarete anymore.. LOL
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post

you do what you need to do when you need to do it.

some women are fucking crazy.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    you do what you need to do when you need to do it.

some women are fucking crazy.
    Yeah. But if you're in a fist fight, or any physical altercation, with a chica, you have FAILED!

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Yeah. But if you're in a fist fight, or any physical altercation, with a chica, you have FAILED!
    Unless that is what you paid for.

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

failed what?

Just because someone is (probably) physically weaker than you, that doesn't make them a non-threat.

chica walks up to you and puts a gun to your head and pulls the trigger you're no 'less dead' than if a man did it.

Personally, I'm all for not having to hit anybody at all, but don't go at somebody with intent to do harm if you're not prepared to get hit.

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor JDR of Medellin View Post
    Unless that is what you paid for.
    "TNT72, please pick up the white courtesy phone. TNT72..."

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

If a woman dont have a Drink in the House for me, and Mouths off with

" oh, not before Breakfast Dear"

I James Cagney them ...

Smash a Grapefruit in the Face
    ... leaves no mark and makes them Cry..

lol

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post

I James Cagney them ...

lol
    Yeah, that was a great scene. Wonder how many times Cagney had to smash the grapefruit in her face to get the take just right? Who knows, do that today and somebody calls a cop for assault.

My whole thing was to diffuse a situation that could escalate into something you don't want. With what has gone on in the recent past, I would think the need to hit a woman would be the last thing you would contemplate, whether she was crazy or not. Since the author of these "tips" is most likely referring to P4P women, pay her right then and there to leave or pay a lot more later if knuckles meet flesh.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post

I James Cagney them ...

lol
    Cagney's got nothin on Lee Marvin in "The Big Heat", pot of scalding coffee in Gloria Graham's face. ouch.

And Richard Widmark's Tommy Udo in "Kiss of Death" - best noir psycho ever!

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

Wow!!

If I would ever read this list of rules about a place I had never been to.......................... I would never go there.

This list is pretty much bull shit.......................

Or maybe the list is about any major inner city in the US...............
    If she is alive, she will fuck.

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    failed what?

Just because someone is (probably) physically weaker than you, that doesn't make them a non-threat.

chica walks up to you and puts a gun to your head and pulls the trigger you're no 'less dead' than if a man did it.

Personally, I'm all for not having to hit anybody at all, but don't go at somebody with intent to do harm if you're not prepared to get hit.
    These girls grew up in a society where only the craziest of crazies would even dream of raising a fist to their novio or esposo. If they're willing to fist fight with you, then it means they've either lost all respect for you as a man, or they're planning on setting you up. In either case you've failed. You've given them the impression that you're either not worthy of the respect due your average Dominican man, or that you're a mark. Take your pick.

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

These girls grew up in a society where only the craziest of crazies would even dream of raising a fist to their novio or esposo. If they're willing to fist fight with you, then it means they've either lost all respect for you as a man, or they're planning on setting you up. In either case you've failed. You've given them the impression that you're either not worthy of the respect due your average Dominican man, or that you're a mark. Take your pick.
    you forgot a few other options:

she's fucking crazy
    she's on drugs
    she's fucking crazy and on drugs
    and we're talking about sosua - where there are more than a few chicas with mental, emotional and/or drug issues.

and i've no doubt there are other reasons, but they probably tend to be more 'personal' in nature.

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information