Thread: 10/2014 - Dominican Cities and Towns

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

10/2014 - Dominican Cities and Towns

Not sure if something like this is already posted, (I didn't bother searching on the site, but most likely something similar is)... Any here is s list the cities and towns in the Dominican Republic... Most of us may know the major cities but some you may be reading for the first time ever... Something that may come in handy for those trying to travel on an excursion from city to city on a trip, or maybe do a multi-city flight. Which means, fly into one city, do a tour, travel to another city with an airport and get your flight home from that now closer city and back home, much easier...

http://www.thedominicanrepublic.net/CitiesandTowns.htm

Provinces, Cities, Towns in the Dominican Republic
    The Dominican Republic is divided into twenty-nine provinces or regions, and the National District ~ which is in effect the thirtieth province. In addition, there are really two major cities in the country ~ Santo Domingo de Guzman, which is the nation's capital and most heavily populated city ~ Santiago de Los Caballeros, the second largest city located in the northwest portion of the country, close to what can be called the nation's "tobacco region".

The Provinces of the Dominican Republic ~
    Capitals of each Province and Major Towns
    AZUA ~ Located directly west of the capital, Azua's coastline is on the southern or Caribbean sea side of the country

Capital City: Azua

Major Towns: Estebania, Las Charcas, Padre Las Casas, Peralta, Sabana Yegua, Tabara Arriba, Yamas de Viajama
    BAORUCO ~ Located in the western part of the country, this province is land locked and situated close to the border with Haiti.

Capital City: Neiba

Major Towns: Galvan, Los Rios, Postrer Rio, Villa Jaragua
    BARAHONA ~ Located in the southwest portion of the country, Barahona borders the Caribbean Sea and has been an area that the government has slated for future tourist development. An airport capable of handling International Jumbo jets sits idle in Barahona, awaiting new tourist traffic.

Capital City: Barahona

Major Towns: Cabral, El Penon, Enriquillo, Las Salinas, Paraiso

DAJABON ~ Located in the northwest corner of the country, bordering Haiti and the Monti Cristi district

Capital City: Dajabon

Major Towns: Loma de Cabrera, Partido, Restauracion
    DISTRITO NACIONAL ~ The capital district of the country, located on the southern costaline. Aside from being the home to the nation's capital city, The city of Haina - a major sea port and point of entry for many automobiles and other goods entering the country, is also located within the National District

Capital City: Santo Domingo (de Guzman)

Neigborhoods or subdivisions of Santo Domingo
    Within the city proper ~ West of the river Ozama ~ Close to business districts and government offices:

Arroyo Hondo, Bella Vista, Ciudad Colonial or Zona Colonial, Ciudad Universitaria, El Cacique, Gazcue, Herrera, Honduras del Norte, Julieta Morales, La Fe, La Julia, Los Millones, Los Prados, Los Restauradores, Luperon, Mirador Norte, Naco, Paraiso, Piantini, Quisqueya.

East of the River Ozama ~ La Zona Oriental and other sections heading east towards Las Americas Airport and Boca Chica:

Alma Rosa, Cancino, Charles de Gaul or "Charlie", Isabelita, Faro A Colon, Las Americas, Los Mameyes, Los Mina Norte, Los Mina Sur, Los Tres Ojos, Los Trinitarios, Mendoza, Villa Duarte, Villa Faro, San Souci

Other Areas Part of the Nactional District include:
    Boca Chica Beach & Las Americas International Airport

DUARTE ~ A landlocked province in the northeast. A section of Duarte borders the Samana province.

Capital City: San Francisco de Marcoris

Major Towns: Arenoso, Castillo, Las Guaranas, Pimentel

ELIAS PINA ~ Located almost equidistant from both coastlines, bordering Haiti.

Capital City: Comendador

Major Towns: Banica, El Llano, Hondo Valle, Pedro Santana

EL SEIBO ~ Located in the northeast corner of the country, southeast from Samana Peinsula.

Capital City: El Seibo

Major Towns: Miches (Playa Miches)

ESPAILLAT ~ Located on the northern coastline, bordering the Puerto Plata district.

Capital City: Moca

Major Towns: Gaspar Hernandez, Jamao al Norte, Jose Contreras, Rio San Juan, San Victor

HATO MAYOR ~ Located on the eastern portion of the country, Hato Mayor shares the Bay of Samana with it's neighbor directly due north, Samana.

Capital City: Hato Mayor

Major Towns: El Valle, Sabana de La Mar

INDEPENDENCIA ~ Located northwest and bordering Barahona, Independencia is the home of the largest inland lake of the country ~ Lago Enriquillo & The Nacional Park Isla Cabritos. A major portion of Independencia also border the southern section of Haiti.

Capital City: Jimani

Major Towns: Duverge, La Descubierta, Mella
    LA ALTAGRACIA ~ Located on the south-eastern portion of the country, La Altagracia is home to two national parks, the famous Punta Cana resort area, and Isla Saona.

Capital City: Higuey

Major Towns: Nisibon, Punta Cana, San Rafael de Yuma
    LA ROMANA ~ Bordering La Altagracia and the Caribbean Sea, La Romana is home to the famous Casa De Campo tourist resort ~ which includes the popular tourist attraction Altos de Chavon.

Capital City: Romana

Major Towns: Guaymate
    LA VEGA ~ Located in just about the center of the country, La Vega is located in what can be called "Mountain Country". The Constanza section of La Vega is known for cooler temperatures and production of cold weather fruits, such as apples. Along with the San Juan district, La Vega offers some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the country.

Capital City: La Vega

Major Towns: Constanza, Jarabacoa, Jima Abajo
    MARIA TRINIDAD SANCHEZ ~ Located on the northern coast, east of Puerto Plata and bordering Samana ~ this province hosts a national park and the sea side resort town of Cabrera.

Capital City: Nagua

Major Towns: Cabrera, El Factor
    MONSENOR NOUEL ~ Located in truly the center of the country, Monsenor Nouel borders La Vega and also features mountainous terrain and cooler termperatures.

Capital City: Bonao

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...o-October-2014

MONTE CRISTI ~ Located in the far northwest corner, bordering Puerto Plata and the Atlantic Ocean, Monte Cristi will remind travelers more of Aruba than anyplace else. Drier climate and cactus are prominent features of this part of the country.

Capital City: Monte Cristi

Major Towns: Castanuelas, Guayubin, Las Matas de Santa Cruz, Pepillo Salcedo, Villa Vazquez
    MONTE PLATA ~ The Monte Plata province is directly due north of Santo Domingo and the National District. While the province is land locked, it does boast two small mountain ranges, and the beautiful Los Haitises National Park.

Capital City: Monte Plata

Major Towns: Bayaguana, Don Juan, Esperalvillo, Sabana Grande de Boya and Yamasa.
    PEDERNALES ~ Located in the southern most point of the country, Pedernales is home to the Jaragua National Park, Isla Beata and Isla Alto Velo. Playa Larga is one of the largest single strech of beaches that has been designated for tourist development by the government.

Capital City: Pedernales

Major Towns: Oviedo
    PERAVIA ~ Stretching from La Vega down to the Caribbean coastline, Peravia is home to two small mountain ranges in the north and the beautiful beaches of Las Salinas.

Capital City: Bani

Major Towns: Don Gregono, Mantanzas, Nizao, Rancho Arriba, Sabana Buey, Sabana Larga, San Jose de Ocoa
    PUERTO PLATA ~ Tourists are well versed with this Atlantic Ocean coast province, as it is home to numerous resorts, and the beach front towns of Puerto Plata and Sosua.

Capital City: Puerto Plata

Major Towns: Altamira, Guananico, Imbert, La Isabela, Los Hidalgos, Luperon and Sosua
    SALCEDO ~ The tiny province of Salcedo is neatly nestled between Espaillat, La Vega, and Duarte. Although smaller than it's other north coast neighbors, Salcedo is an important link as an intersection point for the highway system.

Capital City: Salcedo

Major Towns: Tenares, Villa Tapia

SANCHEZ RAMIREZ ~ Landlocked between the provinces of La Vega, Duarte, Monte Plata and Monsenor Nouel ~ This beautiful province boasts two very large fresh water lakes, with fresh water fishing as a major attraction.

Capital City: Cotui

Major Towns: Cevicos, Fantino, La Cueva, La Mata
    SAN CRISTOBAL ~ Directly due west of Santo Domingo, this province runs parallel to Peravia - and stretches from the Bonao area on down to the Caribbean coast. Autopista Duarte or Route 1, connecting Santo Domingo with Santiago, runs through the northern portion of San Cristobal.

Capital City: San Cristobal

Major Towns: Cambita Garabito, Sabana Grande de Palenque, Sabana Palenque, Villa Altagracia, Yaguate
    SAN JUAN ~ One of the larger provinces, this is true mountain country. San Juan province is home to Pico Duarte, the highest mountain range in the Caribbean. Located in the western portion of the country, just south of Santiago, it is also home to Jose Del Carmen Ramirez National Park.

Capital City: San Juan

Major Towns: Bohechio, El Cercado, Juan Herrera, Las Matas de Farfan and Vallejuelo
    SAN PEDRO DE MARCORIS ~ This Caribbean coastline province is nestled between the National District and La Romana. Although historically known as an area with a major fishing industry, Baseball legend Sammy Sosa has also made this a well known province. The San Pedro de Marcoris province is also home to the well known Juan Dolio resort area.

Capital City: San Pedro de Marcoris

Major Towns: Los LLanos, Quisqueya, Ramon Santana
    SANTIAGO ~ This large province directly south of Puerto Plata is home to the Dominican Republic's tobacco and cigar industry. In addition, the province capital Santiago de los Caballeros is often called the Dominican Republic's second city.

Capital City: Santiago (de los caballeros)

Major Towns: Janico, Navarette, San Jose de Los Matas, Tamboril and Villa Gonzalez
    SANTIAGO RODRIGUEZ ~ This province is located directly due west of Santigo and south of Monte Cristi.

Capital City: Sabaneta

Major Towns: Almacigos, Moncion
    VALVERDE ~ Nestled between Santiago, Puerto Plata, Monte Cristi and Santiago Rodriguez, this tiny province is only slightly larger than Salcedo. Like Salecedo, it connects it's much larger neighbors together.

Capital City: Mao

Major Towns: Espernaza, Laguna Salada
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Re: 10/2014 - Dominican Cities and Towns

Great list.. but it reads very funny.. having been to several of those places it leaves me very confused.. but oh well.
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgunz View Post
    Great list.. but it reads very funny.. having been to several of those places it leaves me very confused.. but oh well.
    Ive been to several as well and probably many that i've passed through and didn't even know it... One day maybe i'll take a tour across the country and check out various places...

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgunz View Post
    agreed great list. i dont like how its sorted out though in terms of layout. id like the major part to be centered with the major city and all the sub stuff below it to be different from the overall place. like i just found that duarte is the area and san francisco de macoris is the main city then the sub areas were listed.

overall though i like the list just wish it was easier to read but i can read it so its goood enough. thanks beas

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think it's not spaced out correctly.. so it makes nagua... look like a part of bonao or la vega. But it's far away... thats continued through out... its just one example. It probably copied different than the orriginal

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    Ive been to several as well and probably many that i've passed through and didn't even know it... One day maybe i'll take a tour across the country and check out various places...
    Please make sure you do a synopsis report on your travels sir...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

When I was 13 I was taken to see "Shane", a famous western.

The first hour is set on and around a homestead way out on the prairie, but there are numerous references to what is going on "in town". Being a youngster, I was anxious to see this "town", hoping for something a bit more entertaining than marital angst.

Finally Alan Ladd rides into town to confront gunslinger Jack Palance. I got lots of "shushes" when I burst out laughing in disbelief. The "town" consisted of about eight wooden buildings with nothing else for miles around. In the UK that would not qualify for the title "village". "Hamlet" would be the word. I was expecting something more like a primitive Las Vegas.

I still think of that when I read or hear Americans referring to "town". Most of the major "towns" you list are villages at best and squalid shitholes at worst. One of them we were looking for by car, only to find we had just driven through the town center without realizing.

Not a criticism of your list, Beas, for which much thanks. Just a comment on linguistic differences across the pond.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

All I did is copy and paste from the original website I found it on... In no way am I taking credit for the writeup... It's like a minor league version of Camaro's synopsis... Just thought it would be cool to post and compare the places you've been or would like to travel to...

Here is the original site if you didn't see it in post #1 - http://www.thedominicanrepublic.net/CitiesandTowns.htm

Does this look any better?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

All I did is copy and paste from the original website I found it on... In no way am I taking credit for the writeup... It's like a minor league version of Camaro's synopsis... Just thought it would be cool to post and compare the places you've been or would like to travel to...

Here is the original site if you didn't see it in post #1 - http://www.thedominicanrepublic.net/CitiesandTowns.htm

It adds to all those looking to travel around.

Thanks

Yes Beas, it makes waaaaay, more sence now!! Thank you..

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Thread Information