Thread: 12/2014 - Garden Condos

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

12/2014 - Garden Condos

I've searched for a thread on the Garden Condos in Sosua, but came up empty. I know I've read a little about it in some trip reports but don't remember much.

Anyone have any info they could share? Good, bad, or ugly.

Thanks in advance.
    Vida es buena....

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Re: Garden Condos

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    I've searched for a thread on the Garden Condos in Sosua, but came up empty. I know I've read a little about it in some trip reports but don't remember much.

Anyone have any info they could share? Good, bad, or ugly.

Thanks in advance.
    I liked it there. Your speed. OK with guests but not a "in your face" kinda place. Quite a few ex-pats live there.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    I liked it there. Your speed. OK with guests but not a "in your face" kinda place. Quite a few ex-pats live there.

Thanks. I'll assume it's relatively quiet there then?

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

My buddy Ira (former co-owner of coaches corner) and Brian from Cafe Cubano both live there and like it, but know that mongers are more tolerated than appreciated, especially if you're switching up chicas every day. I've heard the property manager is kind of a bitch.

otoh, the apartments that I've seen are nice, the grounds are nice and it's just close enough to everything to walk everywhere but just far enough away from the middle of things to be pretty quiet.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Below I have listed my review from last months trip:

Garden Condos

Garden Condos was a recommendation of Balcoach who knows the manager. I was able to get $35.00 per night for a 1 bed room apartment. Unfortunately they wanted $800.00 per month for long term stays which disqualified Garden Condos as a place to stay in retirement.

Garden Condos are set on beautiful grounds with a pool and handsome landscaping. During my stay there was no cleaning because the cleaning lady only comes 1 day a week. There was air conditioning only in the bedroom, the cable worked well with American channels. I was unable to check the WI FI due to my computer not working.

The condos were nice but IMHO not worth $800.00 per month.

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Re: 12/2014 - Garden Condos

I was there last week, nice place.

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was fortunate enough to get hooked up with a great place via Seville this go around, but I've still got this place on my radar. I checked it out and am impressed. Thanks to all of you above for the input.

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,163 Times in 5,856 Posts

I was fortunate enough to get hooked up with a great place via Seville this go around, but I've still got this place on my radar. I checked it out and am impressed. Thanks to all of you above for the input.
    I met this summer with agents/owners. I was looking for 1 bedroom monthly rentals during peak season. The quote was about $950 per month. The advantage is security, pool and excellent location. 1 bedrooms are quite small. Casa Manana was quoted at $600 per month, a lot of space, no security and further away. I have got friends at both properties. Let me know if you need contact information for Garden rentals.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    Below I have listed my review from last months trip:

Garden Condos

Garden Condos was a recommendation of Balcoach who knows the manager. I was able to get $35.00 per night for a 1 bed room apartment. Unfortunately they wanted $800.00 per month for long term stays which disqualified Garden Condos as a place to stay in retirement.

Garden Condos are set on beautiful grounds with a pool and handsome landscaping. During my stay there was no cleaning because the cleaning lady only comes 1 day a week. There was air conditioning only in the bedroom, the cable worked well with American channels. I was unable to check the WI FI due to my computer not working.

The condos were nice but IMHO not worth $800.00 per month.

I know your post post is dated at this point, but I thought I'd update for others with some information I obtained on some recent multiple inquiries at Garden Condos.

Long term rates appear to run in the $500-$650 range........if you come to agreement during the off season. Still not sure on short term.

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I stayed recently at GC, so I can confirm $500 long tem is possible. Also short term monthly rates during peak season are up.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 527 Posts

if you do not find long term rates suitable, we have one bedroom long term at $525. per month, and studios at $425. including cleanings, cable and wifi
    www.sosuavacationrentals.com

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to donquixote For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,376 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    I stayed recently at GC, so I can confirm $500 long tem is possible. Also short term monthly rates during peak season are up.
    Whew! Crazy prices up there. I pay $450 a month for a really nice 3bd/2bath apartment in a new double gated urbanization. You can find nice 3bd/2bath apts. all over Santo Domingo for 450-600 a month.

And you guys are talking about a ROOM for that much? Holy cow!
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Whew! Crazy prices up there. I pay $450 a month for a really nice 3bd/2bath apartment in a new double gated urbanization. You can find nice 3bd/2bath apts. all over Santo Domingo for 450-600 a month.

No such deals in SOS to my knowledge. The only way to get 3 beds at this price level is to rent a house.

I have argued with my friends for other locations where it can be done, like Pto Pta or Juan Dolio, for example, and there are several negatives to it. They lived in those locations long term, and the negatives expressed by them are:

a) Much smaller scene for the purpose of this forum
    b) Less friends, expats and frequent visitors
    c) Higher crime level

I would like to know more detailed information about rentals in your area, apartment and villas.

It's all relative. My utilities bill is around a thousand per month, crazy. One of my friends rents in downtown 3 bd for $11,000 per month, again crazy.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think the optimum term here is relativity. Deals can be found anywhere but local 'economics' has a huge influence on said market. Unfortunate, but true.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

I think the optimum term here is relativity. Deals can be found anywhere but local 'economics' has a huge influence on said market. Unfortunate, but true.
    in Toronto news today they just said a 2 acre lot with a house was just purchased for over 6 million dollars and the new owner is going to tear down the house and build a new 21,000 square foot mansion................ expensive building lot ...............
    but just like chica prices its all relative to what the buyer has and what he wants to pay I guess

link

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incom...-houseWEB4.jpg

Toronto rapper Drake appears to be behind plans to build an imposing 21,000-square-foot mansion in the city’s Bridle Path area, and is applying for exemptions to zoning bylaws to construct a dream home complete with a basketball court and a pool in the basement and a covered terrace for a hot tub on the roof.

The plans, on file with the city, include a 44-foot-by-94-foot basketball court, along with a gym, a pool and a hot tub in front of a large TV projection screen, a bar flanked by special chambers labelled “chilled champagne” and “chilled wine,” a music and screening room, and a spa and tub retreat with a massage room.

There are also rooms set aside for “important artifacts‎” and a jersey museum, not far from his linen closet. And that’s just in the basement.

The two-acre property on Park Lane Circle, where a smaller home now standing is to be torn down, was purchased by a numbered Nova Scotia based company for $6.7-million last September.
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,376 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    No such deals in SOS to my knowledge. The only way to get 3 beds at this price level is to rent a house.

I have argued with my friends for other locations where it can be done, like Pto Pta or Juan Dolio, for example, and there are several negatives to it. They lived in those locations long term, and the negatives expressed by them are:

a) Much smaller scene for the purpose of this forum
    b) Less friends, expats and frequent visitors
    c) Higher crime level

I would like to know more detailed information about rentals in your area, apartment and villas.

It's all relative. My utilities bill is around a thousand per month, crazy. One of my friends rents in downtown 3 bd for $11,000 per month, again crazy.
    I live in west Santo Domingo, in a relatively new urbanization with controlled access. My building is part of a group of buildings that also have controlled access, so it is virtually crime free.

I live in the complex called Brisas de las Colinas. It's an upper middle class setup. Built to US standards, so there is strong water pressure, adequate drainage, buildings receive preventative maintenance and fiber optic internet.

There is regular trash collection, emergency power for common areas, and giant cisterns for ample water supply. It's a 24/7 electric circuit, so all of us just have inverters- just in case. There is also community propane included in the maintenance fee, which I believe is 3000 pesos a month.

There is excellent 24 hour security. You can see the guard station with controlled access near the circle drive. There are security stations in key areas, and armed roving security on motorcycles and vehicles. In other words, we have most of the comforts of exclusive areas, at a much lower price.

Because of the desirability of our area, the construction company who built our complex decided to build more.

You can see some of the new buildings in the picture. Since this picture was taken, all of the ones under construction were finished, and there are 5-6 more going up now. Almost all were sold before construction started, many by existing residents who are buying them to rent out.

I pay 21K a month now for my first floor apartment.

I pay 2.5-3k a month for electricity, depending on how much I use A/C and the projector. I have a timer on my water heater, so it's on only 15 minutes a day.

The road at the top is Prolongacion 27 de Feb. We are 1/2 kilometer from Pinturas, which is Ave. Luperon and 27 de Feb. Barely visible at the top left is the entrance to the 6 November expressway, which takes me to work and the new circumvention around Santo Domingo. That passes the toll booth on Autopista Duarte to Santiago, which knocks an easy 1/2 hour off the trip up north.

Living there means I avoid all of the traffic and tapones of day to day life. If I want to go in the city, I take 27 Feb, and I can be at any of the malls in about 15-20 minutes. It would be difficult to be better located.

All of the west side of Santo Domingo on Ave. Luperon is fairly new. Luperon also has lots of shopping and supermarkets, including JUMBO and La Sirena. Across the street from JUMBO on Gustavo Mejia Ricart, there are tons of apartment complexes that are only a few years old, and they go from 18-20k all the way up to upper class areas and apartments.

I am not a fan of city living by any stretch, but this place makes it bearable.

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

Most of these retired guys need to live in Whore towns.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to JDR For This Useful Post:

Thread Information