Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12/2014 - Amber Cove ??? How long will this last ???

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,078 Posts

Re: 12/2014 - Amber Cove ??? How long will this last ???

Travel writers should be shot on sight. I've lost track of the number of times I visited "an iconic sight" to see a polished turd.
    The writer who wrote the Lonely Planet Guide for one of the South American countries admitted that he had never been there once people proved it.
    The cruise passengers are going to be underwhelmed by a lot of the DR and probably miss some of the best places since Carnival did not get a big slice of the action.
    I'll stick to my own research and let the travel guides rot on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by minkyboodle View Post
    I flew back on 9/2 and sat with two travel writers who had been flown in with a large group from carnival. They were very impressed sounds like Carnival and the North Coast are really pushing with all they have on this. They spoke of guided tours etc sounds like there will be very protected excursions.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to distantvoyeur For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,474 Times in 2,511 Posts

I agree that relying on "travel writers" is folly. I was more just interested in their impressions of the dog and pony show they had been given. Seemed like they were happy don't know whats thats worth though....

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to minkyboodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

I flew back on 9/2 and sat with two travel writers who had been flown in with a large group from carnival. They were very impressed sounds like Carnival and the North Coast are really pushing with all they have on this. They spoke of guided tours etc sounds like there will be very protected excursions. These people were very insulated from the goings on around them. They were very impressed. I can't remember the number of dollars they mentioned carnival is gambling on this but it was very very large. Talking to them made me a bit more optimistic for the people of the North Coast but as before, I don't see it impacting Sosua much. Can't remember all the details I was wiped from my trip, but they are definitely pushing publicity for the October opening.
    85 million - holy crap I didnt think it was that much.

Here is new article I just found on USA Today....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...cove/71699378/

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    85 million - holy crap I didnt think it was that much.

Here is new article I just found on USA Today....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...cove/71699378/
    There is no way on this earth this is an 85 million dollar investment. Maybe 85 million pesos.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    There is no way on this earth this is an 85 million dollar investment. Maybe 85 million pesos.
    That is a Carnival Corp press release stating that amount. They are a public company so they cant really lie about things like that.

I agree though where did all that money get spent - 85 million USD damn....

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,078 Posts

85 million dollars invested with kick backs, bribes and overruns

85 millions pesos of actual work

That would add up.....

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to distantvoyeur For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Looks like it is just an exclusive beach. Do you know where Lighthouse mountain is? Go on a recon mission Cam

Visit the private Coconut Cove Beach property for an authentic beach experience. Experience the un-spoiled natural beauty of one of Puerto Plata’s hidden beaches. Enjoy the view of the beautiful blue ocean and white capped waves while lounging on the beach or take a dip in the warm Caribbean Sea,an indescribable feeling of total relaxation. Explore the rest of the property; take a short trek to the lighthouse mountain for a breathtaking pano-ramic view of the land, sea and the island’s coast line. Amenities include: beach cabana's, beach bar, waiter service, beach chairs, volleyball court, bathrooms, lockers, bar and covered seating area. Adjacent to the bluff, there will be hanging chairs and hammocks for guests to relax.
    Make that the Atlantic Ocean, Santo Domingo is on the Caribbean Sea. Does not sound so exotic in a travel brochure.
    Last edited by snoozer; 09-08-2015 at 11:12 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,474 Times in 2,511 Posts

Question Re: 12/2014 - Amber Cove ??? How long will this last ???

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on the ground about this, the possibility of the bulldozing and building of the beach Plaza and Parking. Personally, I love Sosua Beach just the way it is, but it seems to cruise port seems to be bringing these plans to the head. I really have no idea of facts on the ground, just what I see online though...

Sosua Doesn't Meet the Standard Yet (Sosua News)

[Excerpt]

But the president of ADSS, Mr. Andrés Pastoriza indicated that 95% of the differences have been resolved and that a solution soon will be found. Within two weeks, President Danilo Medina will visit the region and a complete plan for the modernization of Sosúa will be ready. The Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia has pledged that 300 million pesos has been made available to realize these plans for the establishment of the two shop plazas on the beach and a parking area.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to minkyboodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on the ground about this, the possibility of the bulldozing and building of the beach Plaza and Parking. Personally, I love Sosua Beach just the way it is, but it seems to cruise port seems to be bringing these plans to the head. I really have no idea of facts on the ground, just what I see online though...

Sosua Doesn't Meet the Standard Yet (Sosua News)

[Excerpt]

But the president of ADSS, Mr. Andrés Pastoriza indicated that 95% of the differences have been resolved and that a solution soon will be found. Within two weeks, President Danilo Medina will visit the region and a complete plan for the modernization of Sosúa will be ready. The Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia has pledged that 300 million pesos has been made available to realize these plans for the establishment of the two shop plazas on the beach and a parking area.
    This is the same plan they had over a year ago.
    Heck they said they had the bulldozers all ready to go a year ago September but than the beach vendors put up a stink and it all fizzled away for awhile.

I showed the same article to my friend who has a bar on the beach last week and they were not aware of any kind of agreement or differences being resolved.

So again it is more than likely sosusanews blowing hot air.

As with every project in the DR I will believe it when I see it.

But there were some tourism officials in town touring the beach right before the cruise ship arrival on October 6
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    This is the same plan they had over a year ago.
    Heck they said they had the bulldozers all ready to go a year ago September but than the beach vendors put up a stink and it all fizzled away for awhile.

I showed the same article to my friend who has a bar on the beach last week and they were not aware of any kind of agreement or differences being resolved.

So again it is more than likely sosusanews blowing hot air.

As with every project in the DR I will believe it when I see it.

But there were some tourism officials in town touring the beach right before the cruise ship arrival on October 6
    I'd be willing to bet that one day, all the "renters" will be given a notice....... they have X amount of days to clear their stuff out (and it probably won't be very much time), and they'll just bulldoze it when they're damn well ready to. The renters can put up as much of a stink as they want, there is serious money behind this, and that's all that matters!
    They'll do it quick without much notice to keep trouble down.

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Playa Alicia is being used for private beaching for all cruise passengers. Last Tuesday, Sosua was graced with 15 total passengers that enjoyed an exclusive Sosua beach experience at Pl. Alicia. I was told that 2 or 3 tourist decided to head to Sosua beach on their own via a port taxi. They were met at Sosua Beach by several Cestar police and given the VIP treatment. I can't imagine how much this day out In DR cost these tourist, but I'm sure the taxi guy was smiling from ear to ear. Now I know the numbers will increase as more and more cruises arrive in Amber Cove, but it will still need a ship to be in port for more then 8 hours for Sosua or Cabarete to really feel the impact.

http://sosuanews.com/mobi.php?id=4220&article=1
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that one day, all the "renters" will be given a notice....... they have X amount of days to clear their stuff out (and it probably won't be very much time), and they'll just bulldoze it when they're damn well ready to. The renters can put up as much of a stink as they want, there is serious money behind this, and that's all that matters!
    They'll do it quick without much notice to keep trouble down.

Oh i think your right about that one

whats really sad if the numbers are true spending 300 million rd on a project for what ultimately will amount to benefiting a pretty limited number of tourists

seems like the 300 million could be spent in a much better manner that would benefit the quality of life for alot of dominican people but maybe they would waste it to

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Oh i think your right about that one whats really sad if the numbers are true spending 300 million rd on a project for what ultimately will amount to benefiting a pretty limited number of tourists

seems like the 300 million could be spent in a much better manner that would benefit the quality of life for a lot of Dominican people but maybe they would waste it to
    They have been promising this 300 mil for years now, just like the funds that were put aside for a major Sosua public hospital 4 yrs ago. If you know the way things work around here, 100 mil was already spent on road work, etc for the city. 200 mil for the greedy assholes that were elected, which leaves nothing in the coffers for future development. No es mi culpa

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    Some notes on the excursions:

1. "Paradise Island" is Cayo Arena. Cayo Arena is absolutely stunning. Everyone should try to go there once before it disappears within 5-10 years due to global warming
    2. It sucks that Lifestyles whored itself out for day passes for cruisers. I might cancel my membership if every time I want to go I have to deal with a shipload of gringos
    3. I hope they rehabilitated the Fortaleza. Last time I was there it was a complete wreck
    4. I'm interested in the reaction of the Punta Rucia landowners to all their new visitors. There's lots of very rich people that bought very nice oceanfront homes on Punta Rucia very specifically because not that many people go to it. If there are suddenly busloads of tourists going to the beach, there's going to be some upset, powerful Dominicans.
    5. What the fuck is Coconut Cove? What's the actual name of that resort?
    6. There's an excursion to Sosua. That should be interesting!
    http://www.carnival.com/shore-excurs...h-lunch-445008

I see you getting your hustle on Mano.... Lunch with Santiago Insider...Jajaja. 60 dollars isnt a bad price for a ride to STI. lunch and a trip to the cigar factory...

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Usually I agree with Mr. Happy but I would have to disagree this time.

As you know somebody always has their hand out... I would probably say its spread out between print and media promotion, buying the land, clearing the debris, so the ships can dock, the road work, a few new ships and of course " the normal facilitating payments".

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The first cruise ship has arrived

With great interest of many government officials, tourist and traffic police and the military, Tuesday October 6th the first cruise ship 'Victory' arrived at the cruise port of Maimón (Amber Cove). There were dozens of buses of the Metro company ready to take passengers to various destinations. Sosúa is also hopefully awaiting for this cruise ship passengers. Ilana Neumann, according to our source, has made Playa Alicia available for this purpose. This beach is located next to the park Mirador. Waterfront restaurant will create additional parking space for the buses.

Carnival Victory

The beach will not be accessible during the visit of the cruise ship visitors to other bathers. Of course, the cruise ship guests will be received with top service and all respect.

Damn they are gonna close the beach off just for the Cruise Ship passengers.. Looks like the touts and chicas gonna be ass out.

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    The first cruise ship has arrived

With great interest of many government officials, tourist and traffic police and the military, Tuesday October 6th the first cruise ship 'Victory' arrived at the cruise port of Maimón (Amber Cove). There were dozens of buses of the Metro company ready to take passengers to various destinations. Sosúa is also hopefully awaiting for this cruise ship passengers. Ilana Neumann, according to our source, has made Playa Alicia available for this purpose. This beach is located next to the park Mirador. Waterfront restaurant will create additional parking space for the buses.

Click to see pic Carnival Victory

The beach will not be accessible during the visit of the cruise ship visitors to other bathers. Of course, the cruise ship guests will be received with top service and all respect.

Damn they are gonna close the beach off just for the Cruise Ship passengers.. Looks like the touts and chicas gonna be ass out.
    I hope the locals as well as the regular tourists raise a stink about this.

That is a public beach and as such should always be available to everyone

It's amazing what kind of whores the public officials become when chasing a dream.

More proof that doing things to benefit the local people and the tourists that have been supporting the town for many years is often only lip service.

34. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I hope the locals as well as the regular tourists raise a stink about this.

That is a public beach and as such should always be available to everyone

It's amazing what kind of whores the public officials become when chasing a dream.

More proof that doing things to benefit the local people and the tourists that have been supporting the town for many years is often only lip service.
    I'm okay with them using playa alicia for the cruise ship people. Maybe they will decide that is a better and cheaper option than razing everything on Sosua beach to build those tourist plazas. It would leave more money for them to pocket while leaving the beach I enjoy so much alone.
    Enjoy it while you can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,482 Times in 10,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    I'm okay with them using playa alicia for the cruise ship people. Maybe they will decide that is a better and cheaper option than razing everything on Sosua beach to build those tourist plazas. It would leave more money for them to pocket while leaving the beach I enjoy so much alone.

Exactly !!!!×
    " Expect The Best, Be Prepared For The Worst, Fuck What Others Think, And Do Your Own Thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    I am ok with them using it to but not ok with them making it a private beach just for the cruise ship people who are only here for a few short hours a couple times a week if that while everyone else is there many more days.

Their dollar should be no more valuable than mine. Sure they might drop a little dinero in the few hours they are there but I spend much more in the course of 7-10 days than they ever will

There will never be enough of them cruisers come to matter but the Dominican officials seem to be masters in stupidity sometimes

For some reason they must have some great fear that the passengers need to be protected from everyone else.

I like the way the current Sosua beach is.

There is charm there and it would be all gone with a newly rebuilt structure plus the vendors would have to increase prices so much it would not be worth going there to spend the afternoon any longer.

39. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information