Thread: 12/2014 - Unlocking an I-phone in Boca Chica

Thanks

12/2014 - Unlocking an I-phone in Boca Chica

I have an old I phone 5 that I want to have unlocked for use in the DR. Does anybody know if the phone stores on or near Duarte unlock I-phones and if they do how much do they charge? I have been quoted $50-$60 here in South Florida.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoseTalapia For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Re: Unlocking an I-phone in Boca Chica

Quote Originally Posted by JoseTalapia View Post
    I have an old I phone 5 that I want to have unlocked for use in the DR. Does anybody know if the phone stores on or near Duarte unlock I-phones and if they do how much do they charge? I have been quoted $50-$60 here in South Florida.
    who is the carrier? what model? sometimes you can call the carrier and they can unlock the phone if you are a customer in good standing for a period of time......
    phone needs to be a sim card iPhone.......you'll probably be out of luck if you have a CDMA iPhone from like Verizon.......
    hopefully your carrier is AT&T.......easiest and cheapest to unlock.........

you can can get it unlocked on Ebay and then hook it up to iTunes after the company has done their thingy and presto you have an unlocked iPhone
    the unlock code prices range from $10bucks to $70 bucks......
    depends on who the carrier is.......the IMEI number needs to be clean and not blacklisted.....

prior to November 2013 I was getting the unlocking codes for iPhones for $2 bucks!
    then Apple became idiots in Nov 13 and were trying to kill the iPhone resale market but boosting new sales......
    thus cutting off the servers that they guys could get the codes off of.......oh well

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    who is the carrier? what model? sometimes you can call the carrier and they can unlock the phone if you are a customer in good standing for a period of time......
    phone needs to be a sim card iPhone.......you'll probably be out of luck if you have a CDMA iPhone from like Verizon.......

you can can get it unlocked on Ebay and then hook it up to iTunes after the company has done their thingy and presto you have an unlocked iPhone
    the unlock code prices range from $10bucks to $70 bucks......
    depends on who the carrier is.......the IMEI number needs to be clean and not blacklisted.....

prior to November 2013 I was getting the unlocking codes for iPhones for $2 bucks!
    then Apple became idiots in Nov 13 and were trying to kill the iPhone resale market but boosting new sales......
    thus cutting off the servers that they guys could get the codes off of.......oh well

Not a technical guru here, but I got a CDMA iPphone 4S unlocked earlier this year with my carrier Verizon. It took about 15 minutes over the phone. I upgraded a month or so earlier, so that may have helped in having no hassle.
    Vida es buena....

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Not a technical guru here, but I got a CDMA iPphone 4S unlocked earlier this year with my carrier Verizon. It took about 15 minutes over the phone. I upgraded a month or so earlier, so that may have helped in having no hassle.
    iPhones aren't my thing and usually a CDMA phone doesn't work on GSM networks which is what most countries have..........like the DR.......no CDMA in the DR
    unless the phone is a dual phone...... a CDMA and GSM World Phone......some phones handle both......
    basically if a phone has a sim card(not a UICC sim card ) it can be unlocked.......most of the time
    if a phone doesn't have a sim card......it's a CDMA phone.....and worthless in the DR cause you need to put in the Orange or Claro sim card for it to work........sure someone will chime in...........

but basically unlocking a phone in Florida will be a lot cheaper than most third world countries......plus you will be getting the gringo price and not the local price in the DR....maybe

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I was told by the German cell phone guy on Pedro C, the one near where the Shark Bar in Sosua used to be and a lot of guys seem to use..
    (this has nothing to do with Boca Chica I know, but just as a reference)

that
    1)- ALL Verizon phones now come UNLOCKED
    2)- CDMA, non GSM phones no longer work on CLARO (see roaming exception below)
    you need a real SIM card in the phone, or forget it..
    I'm assuming that both Carriers ( Orange and Claro) are on the GSM network now..
    at Least for their Domestic #s..
    You can ROAM with Verizon, which I also have done with no issues on a CDMA Ihone 4 ..
    but supposedly you dont need to unlock phones anymore if they are from Verizon & GSM "capable" ( like the Samsung galaxy, or Iphone 4S as examples)..

so ** if you bring down a CDMA Iphone, or Droid phone , they will NO longer be able to work in the DR (with a local DR # like 829 or 809)..
    cant be unlocked, cant be used.. so i was told..

Orange was always on the GSM network.. just as AT&T has been for some time here in the USA..

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Re: 12/2014 - Unlocking an I-phone in Boca Chica

There you guys go getting technical on me again.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    There you guys go getting technical on me again.
    hey I've unlocked hundreds of phones over the last 2 years......here and in Jamaica........and mi still learning......never ending mi think.....but computers are worse

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, my phone was an AT&T phone. I switched providers so I dont think AT&T will do me any favors.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoseTalapia For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies, my phone was an AT&T phone. I switched providers so I dont think AT&T will do me any favors.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=-70sZjeBrMV

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

The non Sim card phone can be unlocked and used with a company called vive I believe. I know it's a company with green advertising. Just ask.
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

piece of cake...doesn't matter if you are still with At&T or not..you can still unlock the iPhone by buying the unlock code(it's a code that can only be used for that particular iPhone)
    just go to Ebay and buy the At&T iPhone unlock code........as long as your phone is clean(not blacklisted for non payment, stolen, etc)........you will be all set........
    you will need the IMEI number from the phone.......this can be found in the "About Phone" in settings.......it's a 15 digit set of numbers
    triple check the IMEI number when entering it to the Ebay Unlock company.......this is about the only way you can screw up an unlocking.....
    just connect your iPhone to your computer..........and open up device on iTunes(download it if you don't have it on your computer) when the Ebay unlock company gives you the green light.....
    they do all the work....contacting AT&T and then Apple.......takes a day usually.......unlike getting codes for any other kind of phone, which can be minutes in some instances
    (if the Ebay company can't get you the unlock code......they will refund your monies........usually it works)
    now any Sim card in the world will work in your iPhone as long as long as it's active(has credit)...

here is one company on Ebay that does them for $9.50! the next cheapest company wants like $17.99........like mi said......AT&T are the easiest and cheapest iPhones to unlock

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-Official-Factory-Unlock-SIMLock-Code-Service-for-AT-T-ATT-iPhone-5-4S-4-3GS-/121469157790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4820419e

Last edited by SeaWeed; 12-29-2014 at 09:16 AM.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

It does not matter.
    As long as you were a customer in good standing when you left and the phone was an AT & T phone and it has not been reported stolen they will unlock it for nothing.

Just go to the website that was listed above and submit a request.
    It sometimes takes a few days for them to get back to you that it is available to be unlocked.

Than you do a restore through itunes and you should get a message that it has been unlocked.

Once you get to the DR all you will need is a sim card and some minutes and you will be good to go.

Also if you want to keep your number and any remaining time you will need to continue to top it off but there are websites like callingmart.com that you can use to keep it active when you are away.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgunz View Post
    The non Sim card phone can be unlocked and used with a company called vive I believe. I know it's a company with green advertising. Just ask.

The non sim iphone 4 from Verizon can be unlocked through Claro but they have to do a process of flashing it to the network.
    There is a place in Charamicos by the stoplight and the bus stop that will do it but they charge a few hundred pesos, it takes awhile cause not all of the csr there can do it and it might not work as some phones will brick up.

Verizon would not unlock it for various reasons so this was the only option.

I think Viva might work to if you can find someone to flash it for you but I don't know of to many viva stores around.

Orange will not do it as they say it will not work with them.

Best option is to not deal with these phones at all and use one with a sim.

Luckily I think that iphone 4 from Verizon was the only model made without the sim so there are not to many of them around but they are not worth buying if you see them do to the hassle of getting it working.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    It does not matter.
    As long as you were a customer in good standing when you left and the phone was an AT & T phone and it has not been reported stolen they will unlock it for nothing.

Just go to the website that was listed above and submit a request.
    It sometimes takes a few days for them to get back to you that it is available to be unlocked.
    good luck with that.......tried this many times and got nothing back from AT&T........for months

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    good luck with that.......tried this many times and got nothing back from AT&T........for months
    There is no reason that it should not work.

Did you get a confirmation number when you did it because with that number you can check on the status of the process.

I have unlocked my last 2 iphones that way and they got back to me within a few days both times.
    But I am a current customer with them so maybe that makes a difference.

They do limit you to 5 unlocks per year per account.

As long as you meet the eligibility requirements there should be no reason for them not to unlock it

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/?#/

I went the route of jailbreaking a iphone 3g once and the phone was never the same after that for some reason. It got alot slower.
    But if you can get it unlocked there is no reason to jailbreak it.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Exactly..

See my prev post # 9 and scroll down..
    click and READ..
    it cant possibly be easier than that..

why would I PAY for something , I can do myself, for Free..

but to each his own..

and btw, I used to work for these Pricks... so maybe cuz I know their Policies and how to " escalate" shit the right way, there is NO way they gonna jerk me around..
    If you are in good standing, and met your Contractual requirements and the phone is not stolen... they cant refuse you..

General Eligibility Requirements for unlocking an AT&T mobile device
    Devices may qualify for unlocking if they meet the following requirements:

• The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network. For help see Device Unlock Support.
    • It must not be reported lost or stolen.
    • It's not associated with fraudulent activity.
    • All the device's service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
    • The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer's account.
    • If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer's remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.

Request your device unlock
    To unlock your phone or tablet to work on another wireless carrier's network, you must submit a request to AT&T to unlock your device from the AT&T wireless network.
    From a tablet or PC visit att.com/deviceunlock to submit your Device Unlock Request.

Unlock a phone or tablet with an AT&T Service Commitment
    In addition to the general eligibility requirements, you must meet the following requirements to unlock a phone or tablet you purchased with a Service Commitment (contract) if you're an AT&T customer:

• Your account must be in good standing with no past due amount or unpaid balance owed to AT&T.
    • You've satisfied all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment associated with the device to be unlocked, in one of the following ways:
      • Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
      • Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee
      • Prepayment of installment plan, see AT&T Next
      • Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies

Important Note If you're upgrading to a new device under AT&T's early upgrade policy you must wait the 14-day buyer's remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.

Unlock a phone or tablet without an AT&T Service Commitment
    In addition to the general eligibility requirements, you must meet the following requirements to unlock a phone or tablet purchased without a service commitment if you're an AT&T customer:

• Your device has been active on your AT&T account for at least 60 days.
    • Your account must be in good standing, with no past due amount or unpaid balance owed to AT&T.

Unlock an AT&T GoPhone
    In addition to the general eligibility requirements, your GoPhone must have been active on your AT&T account for at least 6 months of paid service.

Unlock a device due to military deployment (current A&T Customers only)
    If you received verifiable deployment notifications from the U.S. military you may be eligible to have your device unlocked prior to deployment.
    AT&T will unlock an AT&T wireless device for an active and deployed member of the military who meets the following requirements:

• You must be a current AT&T customer under contract or have a NEXT installment plan (not applicable to former customers).
    • You must provide AT&T with deployment verification. Please see cancel your wireless service due to military deployment for instructions on providing deployment verification.
    • You meet the AT&T general requirements, except those related to the device's service commitments, installment plans and early termination fees.
    • AT&T, at its sole discretion, may limit the number of devices military personnel can unlock.

If you meet the requirements, use a tablet or PC and visit att.com/deviceunlock to submit your request.

Unlock my phone; I am not an AT&T customer
    If you've never had a wireless account with AT&T however, your device is locked to and designed for use on our network, your device may be eligible for unlocking.
    If you meet the AT&T general eligibility requirements, complete the online online unlock request form to request unlock instructions for your device. Allow two business days for AT&T to process your request.

Unlock my device; I paid full retail price
    If you paid the full retail price, your device may be eligible for unlocking if you meet the AT&T general eligibility requirements.

Unlock my device I purchased online
    AT&T can send you unlock instructions upon request, provided we can reasonably obtain them from the manufacturer and you meet the AT&T general eligibility requirements.

Device Unlock Support Guide
    For additional information please refer to the Device Unlock Support Guide.

Related Solutions

Was this information helpful?

Yes
    No

Thank you for your answer.

How can we improve this article? (Optional)
    We're sorry this article didn't help. How can we improve it? (Optional)

Thanks for your feedback.

Your comments will help us provide better support.
    Please do not include any personal or account information (such as phone numbers and credit card numbers) in your feedback.

Unlock your AT&T wireless phone or tablet
    Get more support

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information