Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 02/2015 - Absolute. Fucking. Insanity.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,255 Times in 459 Posts

Re: 02/2015 - Absolute. Fucking. Insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    No big deal but it was actually US Airways and American that merged to become American.
    United is still on it's own after it merged with Continental.

What I was trying to say was that the flights on American that you thought were going out of FLL were actually flying out of MIA and were really the same flights.

No big deal as the airlines seem pretty much messed up these days.

Yea...whoops...I meant US Airways...hey the "u" stands for United...so I was semi close 😂😂😂👍

Since this is a thread ranting about the airlines

I have been pricing a flight on American from ORD to BKK in April.
    It is listed at 1,279 which is a pretty decent price.

Anyway every time I try to get anywhere with it on the American site it errors out or says the flight is not available
    This has been going on for almost 24 hours so I figured either the price changed or the American website is not working correctly.

Not because it is full as the plane is more than half empty right now.
    Normally this error means the price has changed.

Well not being able to get the correct price I decided to call American and find out what the deal was.

I found out the price had changed.

It went from 1,279 to over 2,400

Now that my friend is absolute insanity.

Suffice it to say that American will not be getting my business this day.

Oh I considered Delta but I would now earn around 6,500 miles for a trip that is over 18,000 miles
    that is crazy....

who has a better reward/frequent flyer program...the AA advantage club or Delta Skymiles??

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NiteStallion876 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,078 Posts

You want insanity?
    I booked a flight to Europe last year, booked in March for a flight in September. March it was $1,033. April it went up to $1,200 then $1,300. In August it was up to $5,000 for the same flight. Last minute it dropped to $3,500.

Last edited by distantvoyeur; 02-12-2015 at 07:42 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to distantvoyeur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStallion876 View Post
    Yea...whoops...I meant US Airways...hey the "u" stands for United...so I was semi close 😂😂😂👍

that is crazy....

who has a better reward/frequent flyer program...the AA advantage club or Delta Skymiles??
    Right now American is better because you get credited for the actual miles flown.
    Plus once you hit gold status or better you get priority boarding, access to better seats and sometimes upgrades to business class.

But who knows what the real value of the miles will be when it comes time to try and use them
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

I just booked jfk to sdq $214 on way and used points+$64taxes on the return leg

let the 12 day adventure begin
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Since this is a thread ranting about the airlines

I have been pricing a flight on American from ORD to BKK in April.
    It is listed at 1,279 which is a pretty decent price.

Anyway every time I try to get anywhere with it on the American site it errors out or says the flight is not available
    This has been going on for almost 24 hours so I figured either the price changed or the American website is not working correctly.

Not because it is full as the plane is more than half empty right now.
    Normally this error means the price has changed.

Well not being able to get the correct price I decided to call American and find out what the deal was.

I found out the price had changed.

Oh I considered Delta but I would now earn around 6,500 miles for a trip that is over 18,000 miles
    I don't even think $1279 is a good price to Asia this winter. Asia fares have been low. You can fly ORD to BKK (via NRT) on United for $813 in late April. Even Cathay is under 1k.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    I don't even think $1279 is a good price to Asia this winter. Asia fares have been low. You can fly ORD to BKK (via NRT) on United for $813 in late April. Even Cathay is under 1k.
    Yes I saw that but I have some pretty specific days that I want to go there and the $813 doesn't quite fit that timing

Also I would like seats with a little more room since it is a very long flight and that adds another 400-500 to the fare.

What I am looking at now is a flight on Emirates for a little over 1,000. It connects through Dubai but gets me into BKK first thing in the morning rather than at 11pm.

I have never flown Emirates but have heard some good things about them.

Plus it got the wheels turning about Dubai as they have several flights from Dubai to BKK so I could create a layover of as much as 20 hours.
    Hmmm whatever would I do there.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,791 Times in 353 Posts

None of it makes any sense to me. I fly from BOS-MIA-POP on American Airlines,while in Miami I meet up with my wingman and we fly to POP together,he has always paid a higher fare than me,it has been this way for ten years that we have been going to the DR,it makes absolutely no sense.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to quietcorner911 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quietcorner911 View Post
    None of it makes any sense to me. I fly from BOS-MIA-POP on American Airlines,while in Miami I meet up with my wingman and we fly to POP together,he has always paid a higher fare than me,it has been this way for ten years that we have been going to the DR,it makes absolutely no sense.
    MIA is the connecting city to POP from every airport that AA services. On any given day the vast majority of people on that MIA-POP flight are on connections from some other city. With connecting cities there are almost always multiple airline options to get to where you're going so you have to be competitive with fares. And most of the seats are sold out on the connections so there are probably limited seats available direct.

The other reason is that AA's MIA-POP flight is the only direct flight to POP in Florida. Possibly the only direct flight from anywhere south of NY. They have no competition on that route so they can charge whatever they want. Your only other options on direct flights are to go to FLL and fly into STI.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,255 Times in 459 Posts

MIA is the connecting city to POP from every airport that AA services. On any given day the vast majority of people on that MIA-POP flight are on connections from some other city. With connecting cities there are almost always multiple airline options to get to where you're going so you have to be competitive with fares. And most of the seats are sold out on the connections so there are probably limited seats available direct.

The other reason is that AA's MIA-POP flight is the only direct flight to POP in Florida. Possibly the only direct flight from anywhere south of NY. They have no competition on that route so they can charge whatever they want. Your only other options on direct flights are to go to FLL and fly into STI.
    Being a newbie....that makes a lot of sense and puts things in perspective for me 👍👍👍👍

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NiteStallion876 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes I saw that but I have some pretty specific days that I want to go there and the $813 doesn't quite fit that timing

Also I would like seats with a little more room since it is a very long flight and that adds another 400-500 to the fare.

What I am looking at now is a flight on Emirates for a little over 1,000. It connects through Dubai but gets me into BKK first thing in the morning rather than at 11pm.

I have never flown Emirates but have heard some good things about them.

Plus it got the wheels turning about Dubai as they have several flights from Dubai to BKK so I could create a layover of as much as 20 hours.
    Hmmm whatever would I do there.
    Well the American website still is not working properly so i took the plunge with Emirates.

The booking process went well and I could select seats in the prime areas in the front of economy class all without an extra fee that I would have to pay if I were on the Delta, American or United.

Flight cost just over $1,000 which I am very happy with.

I have heard good things about Emirates so I guess I will see if it all pans out.

Should be a good adventure and I will detail my plans for destination in another thread but it should include some new areas to report on.

Plus looks like they have a pretty decent mileage program as well

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Being a newbie....that makes a lot of sense and puts things in perspective for me 👍👍👍👍

Most of my flights have been on AA. Almost every time I'm in MIA, they're asking for voluntary bumps because the flight is overbooked. As far as Florida residents, AA can ask whatever they want for that flight. You either pay it, or fly into STI or SDQ.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Most of my flights have been on AA. Almost every time I'm in MIA, they're asking for voluntary bumps because the flight is overbooked. As far as Florida residents, AA can ask whatever they want for that flight. You either pay it, or fly into STI or SDQ.
    This will be my first time flying to DR on AA. I flew home AA before through Miami awhile back. There are3-4 flights on the leg to MIA for me, but I chose the earliest in case something goes wrong. I wouldn't mind a little extra cash if I could get it for taking a slight bump this time.
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 983 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    As far as Florida residents, AA can ask whatever they want for that flight. You either pay it, or fly into STI or SDQ.
    And apparently they do. I was looking at flights while reading this thread, so I changed the departure city to MIA. It was $584 from San Francisco and $658 from Miami.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ramair4 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

that is crazy....

right now aa is the only one who is still in the old ff program format. they only have 3 tiers, you earn miles for distance flown, you get 25% for first level and 100% bonus miles for the next 2 levels!

when it comes to being better it really depends on you and what you are looking for. i like aa for many reasons, like the ones i mentioned. plus the award redemption is easier on aa than it is on delta (from what i have heard) so ill take aa because its easier to earn miles and easier to use them, plus cheaper. that for me makes them a better program than deltas skymiles.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,125 Times in 3,033 Posts

Saw some fares for $572 today; hope the downward trends continues.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CentralNJDude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Re: Absolute. Fucking. Insanity.

SDQ is less expensive to fly into because it's the biggest airport in the biggest city in the country with the most flights coming in from different airlines. Same reason it's a lot cheaper (in general) to fly into NYC than it is to fly into Buffalo. A more perplexing question is why it's so much less expensive to fly into AZS (Samana) than into POP. AFAIK, JetBlue is the only airline that flies into AZS from NY so they can charge whatever the fuck they want - whereas at least 4 different airlines fly into POP - and the lowest price into POP is $120 more than the lowest fare into AZS.
    Um... nope. IIRC, Santo Domingo is third, after Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, believe it or not.

Fares are not going to change soon. The DR is having some of it's best years ever, as far as tourism is concerned. They don't need to drop fares; the planes are all full as it is.

Just checked, that's not right. SDQ is second after Punta Cana

Airport Name IATA/ICAO Code City served Passengers (2013)
    1. Punta Cana International Airport PUJ/MDPC Punta Cana 5,178,979 7.49%
    2. Las Américas International Airport SDQ/MDSD Santo Domingo 3,016,109 3.83%
    3. Cibao International Airport STI/MDST Santiago de los Caballeros 1,092,229 0.03%
    4. Gregorio Luperón International Airport POP/MDPP Puerto Plata 746,821 0.27%
    5. La Romana International Airport LRM/MDLR La Romana 195,792 13.2%
    6. Samaná El Catey International Airport AZS/MDCY Samaná 119,502 6.5%
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

32. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Um... nope. IIRC, Santo Domingo is third, after Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, believe it or not.

Fares are not going to change soon. The DR is having some of it's best years ever, as far as tourism is concerned. They don't need to drop fares; the planes are all full as it is.

Just checked, that's not right. SDQ is second after Punta Cana

I didn't say it gets the most passengers

I said it's the biggest airport (which even with the new terminals at PUJ I think is still true) in the biggest city (obviously true) with the most flights from different airlines. The 'different' is the key, because it's the competition that keeps the fares low.

Punta cana has been on the tops in getting the most passengers for a long time. 65% of tourists coming in by plane are flying into PUJ.

What's interesting to note that, as POP passengers have been stagnant/dipping over the past few years, passengers into STI have been on a huge upswing over the last 4-5 years. I wonder if the rising POP fares have anything to do with that.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

I didn't say it gets the most passengers

I said it's the biggest airport (which even with the new terminals at PUJ I think is still true) in the biggest city (obviously true) with the most flights from different airlines. The 'different' is the key, because it's the competition that keeps the fares low.

Punta cana has been on the tops in getting the most passengers for a long time. 65% of tourists coming in by plane are flying into PUJ.

What's interesting to note that, as POP passengers have been stagnant/dipping over the past few years, passengers into STI have been on a huge upswing over the last 4-5 years. I wonder if the rising POP fares have anything to do with that.
    That is amazing how strong punta cana is....they get SEVEN times the passengers POP gets...Damn....I didn't think it was that big a difference.

Proves how poor the AI structure is in the north coast

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

I can still hop on Spirit and for about $80 and I think 5000(actually it may be 3500) miles have my ass in SDQ or Santiago in about an hour and 15 minutes.

I just don't want to go there

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    This will be my first time flying to DR on AA. I flew home AA before through Miami awhile back. There are3-4 flights on the leg to MIA for me, but I chose the earliest in case something goes wrong. I wouldn't mind a little extra cash if I could get it for taking a slight bump this time.
    Flying back in 2013, AA was so overbooked. I took a bump from POP to MIA for $700. I ended up taking several bumps and got $2300 in vouchers from AA!

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information