Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03/2015 - Riots in Cabarete - Semana Santa cancelled maybe?

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

03/2015 - Riots in Cabarete - Semana Santa cancelled maybe?

I've written before about the clusterfuck that descends on Cabarete for Semana Santa. it can be fun but can just as easily get out of control.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...t=semana+santa

Most Cabarete residents close their doors on the Thursday and don't venture out until the mayhem is over on the Monday.

Well it seems the govt under the guise of the Ministry of Tourism have decided that all activities in Cabarete over Semana Santa will be severely curtailed or not allowed.

This includes no permits for sound stages on the beach, hence no live music concerts, no licences for street or beach vendors selling food or trinkets and the bars must close at 3am.

We had a mini huelga last Friday night

http://www.detrasdelrumor.com.do/con...u-destitucion/

Today there is currently another huelga going off in the center of town right now, burning tires, throwing rocks, calling for the head of our friend Lorenzo Sancassini, and best of all the policia using tear gas.

There have been a number of tourists affected by the tear gas.

Good job Lorenzo

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 172 Posts

Re: Riots in Cabarete - Semana Santa cancelled maybe?

Well that just killed my trip. The best times I ever had in DR was during the semana santa festivals hanging with the locals. Yeah it can get crazy with so many people there...but it was far and in between. Maybe I've been lucky! THIS SUCKS!!!!!!
    It's always happy hour somewhere in the world...

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to theheights718 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theheights718 View Post
    Well that just killed my trip. The best times I ever had in DR was during the semana santa festivals hanging with the locals. Yeah it can get crazy with so many people there...but it was far and in between. Maybe I've been lucky! THIS SUCKS!!!!!!
    I agree with you 100%
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theheights718 View Post
    I DJ'd that weekend there and in the SU... A great time probably my best trip to date smh. Dam you Lorenzo.
    I'm back... Heading Back To Green #TurnUpTime

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

The festival is generally a promotion for the city and not a huge profit maker for the main bars on the beach I have been told at least for that specific weekend. It helps to put Cabarete on the map. Unfortunately, there is nearly at least one deadly fight and one drowning nearly every year. Crowds plus Rum... Hotels in the area will be affected and so will some of the local people who rely upon selling stuff to the Dominican visitors here. I am told a lot of Dominican vendors are from out of town.

Overall, it seems that the local tourism head is trying to make the north coast a sleepy village for families. He is a straight by the books boring sort of guy. It will work out for local expats without businesses probably, but its a big gamble that reducing business will lead to more or better business down the road. Certainly a new more exciting town can spring up along the coast in other places such as Luperon and etc. to eventually take Sosua and Cabarete's place if business really deteriorates here. I hope the Tourism head actually has funds to fix the streets and sidewalks and such to make the towns look better. I was walking along the sidewalks last night and the streets are filled with garbage and sidewalks are falling apart and wires are hanging ugly from poles and cars and motos parked on sidewalks... Hardly the welcoming stuff most family tourists are seeking on their precious two or three weeks of vacation per year...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    don't venture out until the mayhem is over on the Monday.

Thanks WW for the update. That is one of the reason I arrive on Monday. To many people on the beaches. I was in Boca Chica 2 years ago during Easter weekend. My rental car do not move for 3 days. Then there was no music on good friday at the bars. The police was out in force.

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Someone posted this earlier on a Cabarete social media page, I thought it was most succinct. A few years back I was there with TNT72, Joeysterr and Juggles, I think all of us had experience of pick pocket attempts.

This is all about scaling back the insanity that prevails and preventing Cabarete from turning into a no go zone for a lot people for 4 days.

First off, this religious holiday that originally was meant to be celebrating the resurrection of Jesus has turned into a weekend to party; this is not the problem nor what the government is trying to change/avoid.

Some of you may or may not take part in the beach festivities this event has time and time again lured many problematic people.

By problematic people the government means people who want to start fights, kill/stab others, sell drugs, break the law, steal and anything in between that does not give Cabarete a good reputation.

Also they are enforcing and limiting the permits required for beach vendors so its fair for all sellers.

A lot of the media outlets are saying that the ministry of tourism is trying to take away the rights of people but on the contrary they are trying to make the event more friendly and safe so it can attract more people.

The information being let out is begin skewed, as no real official statement has come out; so most information is speculations and meant to stir things up. It will be hard for them to get rid of the event as a whole as it is quite a look forward to weekend.

I can tell you one thing- violently protesting won't help anything and that you rather try to voice your opinion peacefully if you even have one or else they "ministry of tourism" won't really listen.

I personally liked the event back in the day as it was more controlled! But over the years the control has been lost. After hearing and having so many friends get robbed or pick pocketed, seeing so many guns, fights and people getting stabbed it has become a borderline war zone and a weekend to just avoid Cabarete.

We need the control back one way or another and the only way now to gain that control back is with the government involvement as the people have shown they cannot control/behave themselves.

I already know many will either agree or disagree but I can tell you once you see your friend get stabbed for no reason in front of you or a gun pulled on them on this weekend you will probably agree.

Now if you are still reading this give it a like and keep your comments civil! This event can be great for the town as long as it stays safe and fun for everyone.

Stay classy Cabarete---

Thanks

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post

Well it seems the govt under the guise of the Ministry of Tourism have decided that all activities in Cabarete over Semana Santa will be severely curtailed or not allowed.

This includes no permits for sound stages on the beach, hence no live music concerts, no licences for street or beach vendors selling food or trinkets and the bars must close at 3am.
    Thanks, just started thinking about which beach or river I would hit for the holiday so this is helpful. It can be fun or a pain - especially driving back with so many drunk and rowdy drivers on the road. Not a big fan of hitting the beach when it is too packed anyway, so I might just stick to the local activities.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to el_papi_chew_low For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Re: 03/2015 - Riots in Cabarete - Semana Santa cancelled maybe?

I think what Sancassini is trying to say is that they still want the big crowds and party atmosphere in Cabarete for Semana Santa.

They just don't want the Dominicans.

18. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    I think what Sancassini is trying to say is that they still want the big crowds and party atmosphere in Cabarete for Semana Santa.

They just don't want the Dominicans.

And, of course, that goes over ...

Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question Re: 03/2015 - Riots in Cabarete - Semana Santa cancelled maybe?

I'm Back Bitches!!! I'll be on the ground come Wednesday, flying out of YUL cuz tickets in NYC are fucking outrageous! ANYONE on the ground? Who will be joining me?
    HEADING DOWN APRIL 1st - 11th, PM if you'll be in TOWN

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bstokley For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It is looking like the proposed 'curtailing' of the mayhem is under way.

Not a single bar Onno's, Havana Club, Kahunas, Cocoron have installed sound stages this year. There is just one sponsored by Orange/Huawei in front of VoyVoy.

There is just one other at the far end in front of Pomodoro's (Lorenzo's restaurant)...........so big change down from 7 - 9 in previous years.

The south side of the main road has been taped off to prevent illegal parking and is patrolled by military and AMET

There are no 'pop-up' food carts to be seen anywhere in the town and those on the beach seem to be in just one controlled area.

I have been told that after tonight, when everyone shuts at midnight, the beach side bars have to close at 3am and all others have to close at midnight. We shall see.

People are being searched by Cestur and military at the public beach entrances.

The usual mass of fudgepackers in their speedos is well under way but there is some nice female eye candy to be had.

24. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie
    The usual mass of fudgepackers in their speedos is well under way but there is some nice female eye candy to be had.

Voy ahora I always prefer candy instead of eggs over Easter....
    Last edited by Dick Dawson; 04-03-2015 at 12:12 AM. Reason: quote fix
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

no Photos?????
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Only band stage is in front of Lorenzo's restaurant...LOL

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Are they gonna start the music at like Sundown , or after midnight ?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post
    Are they gonna start the music at like Sundown , or after midnight ?

Midnight, which also includes autos. Was just warned by Amet 30 minutes ago

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    Is there anyone surprised?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    Is there anyone surprised?
    Don't forget the one in front of VoyVoy

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information