Thread: 04/2015 - Beware of the up-sell on Calle El Conde

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

04/2015 - Beware of the up-sell on Calle El Conde

Cosmo Centro Calle El Conde

I decided to take an excursion to Santo Domingo to investigate a few chica options. I was supposed to have a date later on in the evening so I decided to get a haircut and a shave. I walked by Cosmo Centro on El Conde a few steps from Gran Hotel Reina Ysabel. I asked for a cut and a shave I asked “cuanto es?” he responds “500pesos” I respond “no yo pago 300 pesos en Puerto Plata” (I pay $20.00 in the States for a haircut and shave) he frowns with an ugly face and says “tah bien”

I get the cut and shave then he starts putting some stuff on my face and massaging my face I must admit it was feeling good but while the treatment was on my face I saw him writing something down so I asked “va cobrame por este?” “then he says “tu cara es sucio” and I said “pero solo pido por un cotar y avieatarse!” then he says “tanquillo” and puts a mask on me.

After about 5 minutes with this mask on I know this is not going to end well. I said “oye tengo un cita!” He hurries and cleans me up. Then he presents me a bill for 1500 pesos. I said “no pido por este!” “si va dar mas servico tu nesista preguntar el cliente” He goes on in Spanish “blah blah blah!”
    I said “llamar la polica!” Then a lady comes over I guess she is the boss and says I have to pay! I raised my voice again and said “llamar la policía!” The she looks and me and said “no necisita la policia page lo que quieres” I gave her 400 pesos and walked out…

*** The funny thing about this episode is my face feels and looks better….

Anyways if you’re on Calle Conde in Santo Domingo beware of the up sell.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Last edited by camaro1257; 04-08-2015 at 02:32 PM.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 774 Posts

Re: Beware of the up-sell on Calle El Conde

I read about this type of thing before on El Conde. The scammed tourist got the Tourist Police and the scammer was arrested. I guess the best thing to do is tell them to write down the price. Escribirlo. They must get away with it though from some people so they keep on doing it.
    SouthCoast

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Re: Beware of the up-sell on Calle El Conde

Its good to know what your getting for the money your spending. Extras usually cost extra. Many businesses in the DR make this information process confusing. When you want to get your home repaired and etc. please make sure the quote includes everything including labor and materials. Often one or the other is left out and there is a surprise at the end if you don't make that clear up front. The whole negotiating and business transaction can be more difficult than it first appears and at minimum annoying to a north American used to signs on the wall with a set price.

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 111 Posts

Re: 04/2015 - Beware of the up-sell on Calle El Conde

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post

I decided to take an excursion to Santo Domingo to investigate a few chica options. I was supposed to have a date later on in the evening so I decided to get a haircut and a shave. I walked by Cosmo Centro on El Conde a few steps from Gran Hotel Reina Ysabel. I asked for a cut and a shave I asked “cuanto es?” he responds “500pesos” I respond “no yo pago 300 pesos en Puerto Plata” (I pay $20.00 in the States for a haircut and shave) he frowns with an ugly face and says “tah bien”

I get the cut and shave then he starts putting some stuff on my face and massaging my face I must admit it was feeling good but while the treatment was on my face I saw him writing something down so I asked “va cobrame por este?” “then he says “tu cara es sucio” and I said “pero solo pido por un cotar y avieatarse!” then he says “tanquillo” and puts a mask on me.

After about 5 minutes with this mask on I know this is not going to end well. I said “oye tengo un cita!” He hurries and cleans me up. Then he presents me a bill for 1500 pesos. I said “no pido por este!” “si va dar mas servico tu nesista preguntar el cliente” He goes on in Spanish “blah blah blah!”
    I said “llamar la polica!” Then a lady comes over I guess she is the boss and says I have to pay! I raised my voice again and said “llamar la policía!” The she looks and me and said “no necisita la policia page lo que quieres” I gave her 400 pesos and walked out…

*** The funny thing about this episode is my face feels and looks better….

Anyways if you’re on Calle Conde in Santo Domingo beware of the up sell.
    I just has this same experience. Probably at the same place.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tarrantino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

This is why I always go to Leo when in DR... I know the guy since I started my Sosua trips in early 2003... We got close because he saw me all the time and when he first saw me at a bachata concert, we became friends... If you need a good barber in Sosua and want to know where he is, walk down Pedro Clisante, somewhere around 4 roses/Europa Hotel, right before that block there is a right turn you can make up the side street... This is usually the moto route when they don't go up the wrong way late at night, they cut up this road, go to the main highway, and come back down by Rumba... About 3 or 4 storefronts in from Pedro Clisante, you will see a small barber shop with 2 or 3 barbers, right next door to a tiny dominican chicken spot... Ask for Leo, he is more suave on the shave then his partner, I think his name is Freddy... (which I also know for many years), and charges me 150 pesos for cut and shapeup/shave... I usually throw him 300 anyway because he needs it more then me and I feel he deserves it... If you can't speak spanish I don't recommend him if you can't explain what you want... After all these years cutting in a gringo town, his English sucks... But a good dude none the less... To this day, I am and will always be his next customer if someone is in his chair, no matter how many people are waiting for him (usually not more then one or two anyway)...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

I get my haircut in that area for about 150 pesos?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

So when this dude started massaging your face, did he promise you'd leave with a smile? lol.

Seriously though, I always say in DR things can become the "assumed sale" quickly--you have to know when to walk away.

A few years back I told a Dominican that I was cool with through a few trips, that I liked his chain. Within seconds his chain was on my neck. I thought it was a good value for something that I liked, so I went a long with his story and gave the pesos. When I returned, I just gave that shit right back to him to clear that slate and create some respectful distance.
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    So when this dude started massaging your face, did he promise you'd leave with a smile? lol.

Seriously though, I always say in DR things can become the "assumed sale" quickly--you have to know when to walk away.

A few years back I told a Dominican that I was cool with through a few trips, that I liked his chain. Within seconds his chain was on my neck. I thought it was a good value for something that I liked, so I went a long with his story and gave the pesos. When I returned, I just gave that shit right back to him to clear that slate and create some respectful distance.
    Every time I made an inquiry and said I had not requested the service he kept blowing me off say "tranquilo"...just another lesson to learn in the Dominican Republic...

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarrantino View Post
    I just has this same experience. Probably at the same place.
    What did you do...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Every time I made an inquiry and said I had not requested the service he kept blowing me off say "tranquilo"...just another lesson to learn in the Dominican Republic...
    True. Just like hoes, if we allow them to begin a service, if not requested, it's a done deal bro. We all focus on different laws of the land and roll differently. After I had a rookie on one trip that kept asking questions and talking too much, I thought of my "assumed sale" mentality they have. Then the next damn rookie starts getting a 'sample' foot massage on the beach that ended up costing him $1000 pesos. lol

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

True. Just like hoes, if we allow them to begin a service, if not requested, it's a done deal bro. We all focus on different laws of the land and roll differently. After I had a rookie on one trip that kept asking questions and talking too much, I thought of my "assumed sale" mentality they have. Then the next damn rookie starts getting a 'sample' foot massage on the beach that ended up costing him $1000 pesos. lol
    One of the things I am learning on my journey through the Dominican Republic is it is as important to learn the culture as it is to learn the language. I could clearly communicate with the barber however at the time I did not fully understand that it is part of the Dominican culture in some areas to up sell without the consent of the client. In all my years of living I have never had a person perform a service that I didn't agree on then expect me to pay for it. Apparently this is common in the Dominican Republic and the only way I could be aware of this practice would be if someone told me or I had the experience and got burnt.

Now I am armed with the experience...and now I know.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

The First Toe of the Foot massage was probably the Free Sample...

the other NINE cost $ 111.11 DOP each..
    Dominicans are amazing at Math, when they are motivated..

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information