Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05/2015 - Lazy Dog

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

05/2015 - Lazy Dog

This place is fairly new and on one of the corners by the little Playero store. I saw an online ad for dinner yesterday. Two 3 piece fried chicken dinners with fries, slaw and a drink for 499 pesos. Dinner for two for 499 pesos? Why not give it a try. Chica and I went yesterday evening. Menu said taxes included but not tip.

The dinner was fine. No issues there. But when the bill came it was for 650 pesos. The two dinners were listed as one 499 peso item. Chica had ordered a fruit punch and I had a coke. The coke was listed separately at an additional 50 pesos so apparently you get two dinners but only one drink with the 499 peso special. Odd. That brings the bill to 550 pesos. Since the menu states taxes are included what was the other 100 pesos for?

I didn't bother to ask. I won't be going back.
    Enjoy it while you can.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 72,262 Times in 11,768 Posts

Re: Lazy Dog

Dominican math? Or maybe, New Math?

I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,355 Times in 2,669 Posts

Re: 05/2015 - Lazy Dog

those lady drinks will get you every time!

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Re: Lazy Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Dominican math? Or maybe, New Math?

that was a hilarious 4 minutes and well worth watching if you guys have the time
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    This place is fairly new and on one of the corners by the little Playero store. I saw an online ad for dinner yesterday. Two 3 piece fried chicken dinners with fries, slaw and a drink for 499 pesos. Dinner for two for 499 pesos? Why not give it a try. Chica and I went yesterday evening. Menu said taxes included but not tip.

The dinner was fine. No issues there. But when the bill came it was for 650 pesos. The two dinners were listed as one 499 peso item. Chica had ordered a fruit punch and I had a coke. The coke was listed separately at an additional 50 pesos so apparently you get two dinners but only one drink with the 499 peso special. Odd. That brings the bill to 550 pesos. Since the menu states taxes are included what was the other 100 pesos for?

They don't respect us. So believe nothing they say. Tato!!

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

I had the all you can eat pancakes there for 190 pesos. They were good. The Dominican breakfast was especially good as well. How ever the prices are on the higher end. Service was pretty bad. Asked por pineapple juice got chinola. When I told the waitress she laughed. Then she forgot my bacon as well. Then laughed again. She is a cute little blonde with a huge rack. So I laughed as well. I can get good service from ugly waitresses at home. I'll take dumb blonde with big tits anyday. .
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

Thanks
    Thanked 12,004 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgunz View Post
    Cute little blonde with a huge rack. So I laughed as well. I can get good service from ugly waitresses at home. I'll take dumb blonde with big tits anyday. .

Met her on my last trip... Mayte.. or something like that was her name...
    I gave her credit for trying with the service... but she didn't know the ropes as it was supposedly her first day...

Food was above average in price.... ok in quality...

Spot to chica watch the girls heading to the beach or leaving.... worth it imho
    If you don't do it, someone else will!

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MH16 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MH16 View Post
    Met her on my last trip... Mayte.. or something like that was her name...
    I gave her credit for trying with the service... but she didn't know the ropes as it was supposedly her first day...

Food was above average in price.... ok in quality...

Spot to chica watch the girls heading to the beach or leaving.... worth it imho
    There are more than enough spots that are good to watch the chicas that serve a good meal.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

My first experience with Lazy Dog not the best and not sure if I would go back or not

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    One of the newly opened places in town. Not sure what was in it previously sure the long timers would know the name of it

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

It is now kinda a open air sandwich type of place that also specializes in fried chicken

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Not to bad a menu

Click to see pic

I thought about a burger but most burgers I have had in the DR I have not really liked to much
    I just don't like the taste of most of them

I settled on a clubhouse sandwich.
    The ingredients sounded good to me but the sandwich was a big time fail.
    Didn't even bother taking a pic

Cheap cheese, the bread was not toasted, they used small broken pieces of bacon . It could have been a great sandwich but it just was not prepared well.

Oh and the papa fritas were soft and soggy. Not cooked properly.

At least the cole slaw was good.

Perhaps I should have tried the specialty chicken.
    Last edited by j_d66; 05-13-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...77#post1332977

My first experience with Lazy Dog not the best and not sure if I would go back or not
    Baileys was one of my favorite spots.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Lazy Dog is a Canadian (?) franchise operation run by these guys http://islandhospitalityconcepts.com/index.php.

They have 4 places in Cabarete and one in Las Terrenas along with this newish Sosua operation.

The ones in Cabarete are very popular and I have eaten many times at the Lazy Dog Roadside Grill in Cabarete. The burgers are the best I have had since Las Locos changed recipe a few years back.

There is 20% expat only discount card available from their website for food purchases.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    Lazy Dog is a Canadian (?) franchise operation run by these guys http://islandhospitalityconcepts.com/index.php.

They have 4 places in Cabarete and one in Las Terrenas along with this newish Sosua operation.

The ones in Cabarete are very popular and I have eaten many times at the Lazy Dog Roadside Grill in Cabarete. The burgers are the best I have had since Las Locos changed recipe a few years back.

There is 20% expat only discount card available from their website for food purchases.
    4 in Caberete is a bit much. You can walk end to end in under 15 minutes.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Clap Re: 05/2015 - Lazy Dog

This guy is a wealth of knowledge...

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    4 in Caberete is a bit much. You can walk end to end in under 15 minutes.
    The 4 in Cabarete all have a slightly different theme but under the same management concept.

I assume an advantage is that they can use their collective corporate purchasing power to maintain supplier reliability and reasonable costs.

BTW..Cabarete has expanded quite a bit since you last came here. It now takes 18 minutes and 37 seconds to walk end to end.

26. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The 4 in Cabarete all have a slightly different theme but under the same management concept.

Click to see pic

I assume an advantage is that they can use their collective corporate purchasing power to maintain supplier reliability and reasonable costs.
    Then why is the one in Sosua so bad?

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Then why is the one in Sosua so bad?

I am not sure it is really that bad.
    I do know that the cook there that particular day made one of the worst club sandwiches I have ever had.

I think others have remarked that the burgers and the chicken are quite tasty so perhaps I should have picked something different.

A overcharged bill is not much of a surprise as it happens all over the place.

Sure it's not the first time Seville had a bill that wasn't correct.

Consistency of the staff can certainly make a huge difference in how a place is viewed that's for sure.

I have had meals at Balonga that have been wonderful and others that have been so bad I swore I would never return but the I do and the next one was good again. I chalk that up to staff and management monitoring the quality of the food and service.

I would bet there are a rather large percentage of bills there that are not exactly correct.

I pretty much have an expectation of what they should be each time and if they are within reason I don't make a fuss but as you all know from my prior reports I have been known to make a fuss over a bill in the past

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am not sure it is really that bad.
    I do know that the cook there that particular day made one of the worst club sandwiches I have ever had.

I think others have remarked that the burgers and the chicken are quite tasty so perhaps I should have picked something different.

A overcharged bill is not much of a surprise as it happens all over the place.

Sure it's not the first time Seville had a bill that wasn't correct.

Consistency of the staff can certainly make a huge difference in how a place is viewed that's for sure.

I have had meals at Balonga that have been wonderful and others that have been so bad I swore I would never return but the I do and the next one was good again. I chalk that up to staff and management monitoring the quality of the food and service.

I would bet there are a rather large percentage of bills there that are not exactly correct.

I pretty much have an expectation of what they should be each time and if they are within reason I don't make a fuss but as you all know from my prior reports I have been known to make a fuss over a bill in the past
    When you have 5 locations, these mistakes will cost you customers that won't try the other locations.

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,355 Times in 2,669 Posts

supposedly they have the best burger in Cabarete. However anyone can make the claim, who knows if it is really true. I haven't tried one there so I can't comment.
    Some day I will try the Lazy Dog in Sosua, but there are so many choices there it could be a while.

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    supposedly they have the best burger in Cabarete. However anyone can make the claim, who knows if it is really true. I haven't tried one there so I can't comment.
    Some day I will try the Lazy Dog in Sosua, but there are so many choices there it could be a while.
    I never had a good burger in DR.

I have very good fish in DR.

I had good snitzel.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post

I thought I would give this place a second chance so i stopped in for lunch
    I will get to the food shortly but there is an issue going on with the bills in this place

Here is my bill and the total looked high to me as well so I added it up and guess what.

The total only comes to 1,209.94 but you can see the total on the bill is 1,427.73

The difference is 18% which also happens to be the 8% tax plus the 10% service.

I new something was haywire because I new the chicken dinner was 249 RD on the menu same as what was on the bill.
    But it looks like the drinks are priced net of the 18%

So are they ripping people off, perhaps they are when they indicate tax is included on the menu which I seem to remember being the case as well.
    But I didn't feel like going back and asking for the menu this day to confirm or deny it.

I also did not bother making an issue of it with the waitress as I new it would go no where since she seemed to only know espanol so trying to explain to her why the bill did not add up would be futile.

It certainly seems deceptive or inept management practices to have a bill that does not add up

It also makes food that appears to be competitively priced actual end up being a little overpriced when you compare it to other establishments that include the tax and/or service in the menu price

Oh and the difference between 550 and 650 just happens to be an additional 18% so looks like it's not a random thing going on here

38. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information