Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 05/2015 - Chinese in Sosua

Thanks

Re: 05/2015 - Chinese in Sosua

Okay, so I have been there and seen for myself. I would have to agree with the opinions presented heretofore. The food at the Cabarete place quite good, and not so hot in Sosua.

The chicken and broccoli (my go-to Chinese dish) in Sosua was mediocre at best. It was very dry looking. When I commented on this, they tossed some more sauce on it which appeared to be soy sauce, which did not make much of a difference. I guess this place would do in a pinch, but I was not especially impressed.

On to Cabarete. The taxi publico driver knew exactly where the place was on the main drag and let me out at the front door, and the fare was a fine 30 pesos, as compared to the $15 the taxi mafia has posted on their board.

It is true that there is another Chinese restaurant just two doors down. I was not able to understand the connection between the two, but the Dominicana lady at the first one did tell me that the food there was the same as the food at "Restarante China" in Puerto Plata, and the food at the other place was different. Both owned by the same family as the Puerto Plata place.

So I took home two dinners, chicken and broccoli (with rice included), and chicken chow mein -- although I knew from my previous purchases in Puerto Plata that the chicken chow mein was really what I know back in the states as chicken lo mein, with the long, pasta-like noodles. Total damage, only 360 pesos! Huge portions, easily good for two meals each.

Both dishes very good. They were about the same as I remember receiving at the Puerto Plata place. Not the best Chinese I have ever had, but -- very good indeed. I plan to make this a regular stop in my future Sosua visits.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to birnam For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Pictures Re: 05/2015 - Chinese in Sosua

THIS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgunz View Post
    What about the truck on that corner with carne salada and tostones. Mmmmmm pre-dlatins. First time I saw them cooking out of the bed of the truck right on p.c. it blew my mind.

Had this late one night of my last week! Greasy goodness
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: 05/2015 - Chinese in Sosua

Chinese in Cabarete

The "1st" when facing them with the 2nd in red a couple of doors to the right

I think it used to be a Dominican place that had great fresh juices...

This shows a bit of both with the gift shop in between

This is the one on the right

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by birnam View Post
    Okay, so I have been there and seen for myself. I would have to agree with the opinions presented heretofore. The food at the Cabarete place quite good, and not so hot in Sosua.

The chicken and broccoli (my go-to Chinese dish) in Sosua was mediocre at best. It was very dry looking. When I commented on this, they tossed some more sauce on it which appeared to be soy sauce, which did not make much of a difference. I guess this place would do in a pinch, but I was not especially impressed.

On to Cabarete. The taxi publico driver knew exactly where the place was on the main drag and let me out at the front door, and the fare was a fine 30 pesos, as compared to the $15 the taxi mafia has posted on their board.

It is true that there is another Chinese restaurant just two doors down. I was not able to understand the connection between the two, but the Dominicana lady at the first one did tell me that the food there was the same as the food at "Restarante China" in Puerto Plata, and the food at the other place was different. Both owned by the same family as the Puerto Plata place.

So I took home two dinners, chicken and broccoli (with rice included), and chicken chow mein -- although I knew from my previous purchases in Puerto Plata that the chicken chow mein was really what I know back in the states as chicken lo mein, with the long, pasta-like noodles. Total damage, only 360 pesos! Huge portions, easily good for two meals each.

Both dishes very good. They were about the same as I remember receiving at the Puerto Plata place. Not the best Chinese I have ever had, but -- very good indeed. I plan to make this a regular stop in my future Sosua visits.
    Thanks for getting involved.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

My comment on the Chinese dish I purchased there, which was a simple chicken and vegetable dish, is that it tasted so bad that I threw it away. The family there is large and yes they're Chinese, but I don't think any of them know how to cook Chinese food. I was quite disappointed to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    I have tried the place several times since they opened. I have to give it a resounding thumbs down!! The only thing worth getting is fried chicken with white rice. Three pieces of chicken with white rice is 170 pesos. A leg and thigh with fried rice is 200 pesos.

The two Chinese dishes I have tried were forgettable and one of them was way too salty.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

I was there second day and had some kind of pork and the fried rice. The pork was mostly bone and fat. Very little meat. Went back a couple days later and had fried rice and something else for take out. Not very impressed.

The Fried rice is ok in a pinch to grab and take home, but nothing to shout about. How can you screw up fried rice??

No wonton soup, no shrimp toast. They better get their act together if they want to survive. I was really hoping for some good chinese in Sosua. Oh well.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    I was there second day and had some kind of pork and the fried rice. The pork was mostly bone and fat. Very little meat. Went back a couple days later and had fried rice and something else for take out. Not very impressed.

The Fried rice is ok in a pinch to grab and take home, but nothing to shout about. How can you screw up fried rice??

No wonton soup, no shrimp toast. They better get their act together if they want to survive. I was really hoping for some good chinese in Sosua. Oh well.
    That is what you get when a delivery guys opens a restaurant.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information