Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 05/2015 - Camaro’s overview of Gazcue May 2015

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

05/2015 - Camaro’s overview of Gazcue May 2015

Camaro’s overview of Gazcue May 2015

Although I live in Puerto Plata now I found airfares to be less expensive flying into Santo Domingo, therefore I will be spending more time there before and after my trips. Recently I spent some time in Gazcue and I would like to submit this report for your review.

Gazcue is one of the oldest sectors of Santo Domingo and is considered to be a tourist area where you can find many extranjeros. The area has several hotels modern & old apartments along with residential dwellings. This part of Santo Domingo reminded me of Poblado in Medellin, Milflores in Lima Peru and Recoletta in Buenas Aires Argentina. The area is also known for its high end casa de citas along with streetwalkers.

This report will not be a comprehensive view of the entire area of Gazcue it will simply cover the area from Avenida George Washington, Avenida Pasture and Avenida Indepencia.

• Avenida George Washington

Avenida George Washington travels east and west on the south side of the city providing a view of the Carribean Sea. At the intersecton of Avenida George Washington and Avenida Pasture there is the following:

Torre Veirmar Apartments

Torre Veirmar Apartments are private residences the property appears to be relatively new with contemporary designs.
    Crown Plaza Hotel

The Crown Plaza Santo Domingo is a high end hotel at the corner that faces Avenida George Washington.

• Avenida Pasture

Avenida Pasture travels north from Avenida George Washington to Avenida Indepencia.
    Casa de Citas

• Sky High Lounge
    • Bar LA21

Hotel Shakey (Apartments)

Hotel Shakey Aparthotel is on Avenida Pasture just off Avenida George Washington. Some of the rooms have an ocean view and others have a city view. The ocean view rooms are more expensive but overall the room are very nice.
    The receptionist walks you to your room but does not help with the bags. When you walk in there is a living room and dining room area to your left a small kitchenette with a gas stove and refrigerator. You continue to find a guest bathroom without a shower the master bedroom with a queen size bed closet and flat screen television. There is also a master bath with shower etc.
    The apartment is very clean and most everything has an egg shell neutral color. The TV and cable work well but I had connection problems with the WIFI so I used my Orange hotspot. The other complaint I had was there was no microwave which is very important for heating left overs but asi es la vida.
    My intention is to visit different hotels on my Santo Domingo excursions but I can readily see getting stuck in the place on more than one trip.

Hotel Mystic

Hotel Mystic is on the same side of the street as Hotel Shakey. I have never stayed there but it is reported to be a great chica friendly hotel option for less than $50.00 a night. I will try to investigate further on one of my next Santo Domingo excursions.

• Avenida Indepencia

Avenida Indepencia travels east west parallel with Avenida George Washington to the south connected by Avenida Pasture which travels north south.

Manolo’s Restaurante

Manolo’s is on Avenida Indepencia west of Avenida Pasture. I did not eat at Manolo’s this trip but in the past the food and the staff was great. This open air venue provides a great place to people watch and the food is nothing short of fantastic.

Hotel Riazor

Hotel Riazor is on the same side of the street as Manolo’s Restaurante. I have never stayed there but I have heard some good reviews so it will be on my radar for future trips.

Club 305 Hotel

Club 305 Hotel is a high end casa de cita on the same side of the street as Manolo’s restaurant east of Avenida Pasture. I chose not to spend 4000 pesos and hour this trip.

Bodega Indepencia

Bodega Indepencia is a colmado that sells alcohol and refreshments. It is on the same side of the street as Club 305. There are tables and chairs outside and it is a local hangout for people in the area. There are reportedly freelancers available during different times of the week especially during the weekends.

Villar Hnos

At the intersection of Avenida Indepencia and Avenida Pasture is a staple of Gazcue. Villas Hnos has a cafeteria style restaurant a bakery and a separate outdoor café next to the cafeteria. The cafeteria provides modestly prices food and is almost always busy any time of day.
    The café is more upscale than the cafeteria and is an outdoor venue with a very classy vibe and efficient wait staff. I would consider it a 4 star restaurant and if you are not careful you can spend 1500 pesos easy for dinner however the food is great.

Hotel Duque Wellington

Hotel Duque Wellington is next door to Villas Hnos café and appears to be an obscure small time hotel. I did not visit but perhaps I will investigate further in the future.

Navarro Hotel & Restaurant

The Navarro Hotel Restaurant is on the same side of the street as Hotel Duque Wellington. I used the hotel as a short time venue about 2 years ago and I was not impressed with the towels and small rooms. I may visit again in the future to see if anything has changed. I have not eaten at the restaurant so I cannot comment.

Closing thoughts

I saw freelance street walkers during my stay but since I was preoccupied I did not partake. They usually walk or stand in the area of Avenida Indepencia between Malolo’s and the Navarro Hotel as well as congregate at the Bodega.'

My major complaint is because this a major tourist area there are many touts trying to get paid. If you hear someone say “hey my fren” trust me he wants to get paid for being an unofficial guide so to speak. I find them more annoying than harmful. They could be trying to rob you instead for the most part they are street hustlers who can help you find anything you want if you know what I mean.

Conclusion

I love this area for the restaurant options alone and the lodging options are more than acceptable also. The area is comfortable for many extranjeros because many people speak English due to it being a tourist area.

I walked around at night but I was very aware of my surroundings at no point did I feel unsafe and there was an occasional police presence in the area. I will definitely return to check out some of the hotel options that I have yet to experience.
    Last edited by camaro1257; 05-29-2015 at 09:58 PM.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

Re: Camaro’s overview of Gazcue May 2015

Nice info here.. Will keep this in mind for future visit..

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 205 Posts

Re: 05/2015 - Camaro’s overview of Gazcue May 2015

Another great post! Thanks Camaro, solid info like this is always appreciated!!!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to captain69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,262 Times in 11,768 Posts

Miraflores, you say?

I had three TDY trips to Lima, teaching my Aeronautical Cartography course at the Servicio Aerofotografico Nacional at Las Palmas Air Base in Barranco, and staying in Miraflores. (Once up by Parque Kennedy, twice at the Marriott across from Larcomar.) Unfortunately, that was all before my mongering years, and I was too protective of my security clearance to venture anything with the local chicas.

Ah, well, the missed opportunities ... now I'm retired and my clearance is ancient history.

Thanks for the reminder, as I raise a glass of Brugal 1888 in appreciation.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,426 Times in 4,640 Posts

This is also my favorite area od Santo Domingo and I recommend and ALWAYS stay at The Riazor it is chica friendly and perfect location for street girls and casas.
    Helping the 3rd world economy, one chica at a time !!!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Thanks again Cam... Next time give Hotel Casona Dorada a try, its about 1 block from that expensive casa 305...

La Casona Dorada & Restaurant
    Calle Osvaldo Báez
    Santo Domingo
    Dominican Republic
    1 809-221-3535

Tgunz and I stayed there and it was good... IIRC it's somewhere from 40-50 bucks a night including free buffet Dominican style breakfast. Not too many tourists there. There are usually families of residents staying and some locals. They have a pool and food/drinks... Most importantly, chica friendly!
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    Thanks again Cam... Next time give Hotel Casona Dorada a try, its about 1 block from that expensive casa 305...

Calle Osvaldo Báez
    Santo Domingo
    Dominican Republic
    1 809-221-3535

Tgunz and I stayed there and it was good... IIRC it's somewhere from 40-50 bucks a night including free buffet Dominican style breakfast. Not too many tourists there. There are usually families of residents staying and some locals. They have a pool and food/drinks... Most importantly, chica friendly!
    That is some good info, I think I will update this thread s I visit the different hotels in the area...thanks again!

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Calle Osvaldo Báez
    Santo Domingo
    Dominican Republic
    1 809-221-3535

... Most importantly, chica friendly!
    My Wingman JimmyDR and myself booked this Hotel July 1st for a couple nights before heading to Boca for the Invasion, I will get some pics to add.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skynyrd View Post
    My Wingman JimmyDR and myself booked this Hotel July 1st for a couple nights before heading to Boca for the Invasion, I will get some pics to add.
    Great we can keep the thread going there is a lot of good stuff in the area and although I like Calle El Conde I think I like this area more because it is more diverse.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

La Casona Dorada

fresh squeezed juice

Around the corner...

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The omelet breakfast was not included in the stay, that was the one morning I woke up late and missed the free buffet... It was reasonable but the next day or two I got to breakfast by 8am and had the buffet for free!

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skynyrd View Post
    That hotel must be doing well, it is always packed on the weekends and they are adding another level.

Hey Skynyrd, holla at me when you guys get in.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    Great we can keep the thread going there is a lot of good stuff in the area and although I like Calle El Conde I think I like this area more because it is more diverse.
    Its a very good topic.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Calle Osvaldo Báez
    Santo Domingo
    Dominican Republic
    1 809-221-3535

I been staying here for over 4 trips now.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Jimmy or anybody else ever stayed at the Mystic hotel I heard good things about it?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When I go back to the capital, that's where I will stay again...

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    That hotel must be doing well, it is always packed on the weekends and they are adding another level.

Hey Skynyrd, holla at me when you guys get in.
    You got it

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

When I go back to the capital, that's where I will stay again...
    Its in the best location of all.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    Jimmy or anybody else ever stayed at the Mystic hotel I heard good things about it?
    Where is that? Any website?

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Where is that? Any website?
    It is on Avenida Pasture in between Avenida George Washington and Avenida Indepencia

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Republic.html

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information