• Victorian House

1 5.56%
  • Dpiero

0 0%
  • Other Hotel that I will add

3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05/2015 - Which Sosua Hotel has the best wifi ??

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,503 Times in 10,202 Posts

05/2015 - Which Sosua Hotel has the best wifi ??

I'm trying to help out a guy(board member) making his first trip to sosua,,,,,,,

He was going to stay at sosua Suites,,,but I told him for what he would pay there I'd rather stay at Casa Valeria or Don Antonio,,,,

But then he told me that This will be a Work/mongering trip,,,, and he needs to work and be logged on from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM each day,,,,THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT,,,,,

Wifi is not the end all be all for me,,,,,,but for guys that do most of there work online, or work from home and can travel,,,this could be helpful to them,,,

So my question for him is Which hotel in your opinion offers the best, and most reliable internet wifi connection,,,,,,,

I didn't want to list every hotel in Sosua,, just a few I'd recommend for a first timer,,,,,,So, I'll list a few hotels,,,,,and if you think of another than just post a reply about it,,,,,
    " Expect The Best, Be Prepared For The Worst, Fuck What Others Think, And Do Your Own Thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,102 Times in 1,088 Posts

Re: Which Sosua Hotel has the best wifi ??

Wi-fi is pretty good at Sosua suites and he has the back up option of sitting at rocky's where wifi is always very good.
    Problem in this country is not the wifi system hotel uses but the internet provider.
    here we have big ass antennas that send wifi signal all the way to the reef at kite beach but when claro fucks up, i have to call them 15 times before they send a dumbass technician who doesnt know what he's doing.

Sosua Suite would be my choice, mostly because there's a back up plan there (Rocky's)

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Which Sosua Hotel has the best wifi ??

Quote Originally Posted by michel3275 View Post
    Wi-fi is pretty good at Sosua suites and he has the back up option of sitting at rocky's where wifi is always very good.
    Problem in this country is not the wifi system hotel uses but the internet provider.
    here we have big ass antennas that send wifi signal all the way to the reef at kite beach but when claro fucks up, i have to call them 15 times before they send a dumbass technician who doesnt know what he's doing.

Sosua Suite would be my choice, mostly because there's a back up plan there (Rocky's)

Yeah,, for location and wifi, I agree that Sosua Suites is good,,,,,,

BUT,,,,I just think (IMO) that for the money he would be spending at The Suites, the rooms at Casa Valeria and the newer rooms at Don Antonio are nicer .

But then again he did stress the need for good wifi as his number one priority, so maybe your suggestion would be better for him.

But that is why I started a poll,,,,,this way he will have more opinions than just mine,,,and he can go from there.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,078 Posts

Re: 05/2015 - Which Sosua Hotel has the best wifi ??

Never had a problem at New Garden or Casa Cayena. Sosua Suites was a problem the first time I was there but Rick added a router and was good.
    Others dunno, not stayed there yet.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to distantvoyeur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Does he need a fast connection (ie; will he be sending/receiving a lot of data) or just a reliable connection?

He could get a temp data plan, that way he'll be connected no matter where he is, whether he can just use a smartphone directly or use it as a hotspot or tethered. Would not be fast, though.

Many/most rental apartments have a router in the apartment, maybe an apartment is a better bet than a hotel.

If he's a board member then why didn't he just ask for himself?

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Does he need a fast connection (ie; will he be sending/receiving a lot of data) or just a reliable connection?

He could get a temp data plan, that way he'll be connected no matter where he is, whether he can just use a smartphone directly or use it as a hotspot or tethered. Would not be fast, though.

Many/most rental apartments have a router in the apartment, maybe an apartment is a better bet than a hotel.

If he's a board member then why didn't he just ask for himself?

He did not ask me to post this thread,,,,

LIKE I SAID ,,,,i just figured Id throw this up for him ,,,,figuring i,d get more feedback than he would,,,,,,

And he would get more,,,,and probably better advice from others ( especially the computer nerds)

My knowledge of computer stuff is limited ,,,as I put telephone poles in for a living,,,,

He is a frequent Philipines traveler,,, and says he buys a pocket wifi???? And wants to know if thats a good idea for DR.

I WILL TELL HIM THAT I STARTED A THREAD TO ANSWET MORE OF HIS QUESTIONS,,,,,,,,

maybe he can then ask more for himself.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

I'm stepping into uncharted waters myself here, but thought I'd share.

I purchased a data plan late last year for the first time and was very pleased. We tested it speed wise against a friends who had a dedicated connection at his place. We connected his laptop using my phone as a hot spot. The speed was 2-3 times faster than his.

Of course price wise this could be an issue depending on the amount of data being transferred.

This is may be a good back up for your friend.
    Last edited by Irie; 05-30-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    Vida es buena....

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,401 Times in 78,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    I'm stepping into uncharted waters myself here, but thought I'd share.

I purchased a data plan late last year for the first time and was very pleased. We tested it speed wise against a friends who had a dedicated connection at his place. We connected his laptop using my phone as a hot spot. The speed was 2-3 times as fast as his.

Of course price wise this could be an issue depending on the amount of data being transferred.

This is may be a good back up for your friend.
    How much was it?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Two things...

1. I would get what Irie got... If he has to work, most likely he doesn't want to take chances with 3rd world connections...

2. Wait till Camaro gives his opinion on this.. I know WiFi is big for him and he has been to most of the hotels in the Su...

No connection in all of DR has blown me away and never had anything I would recommend, but when I am on vacation I don't work so losing a connection to ISOC is not that big of a deal for me... I do copy my posts first though cause you never know when you will lose a long post because of connection issues...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

WIFI - Sosua Hotels

First let me say I love Victoria House and everything the owner did for me during my many stays but honestly speaking WIFI is sporadic at best, therefore I could not recommend it if WIFI was a deal breaker unless something has changed. Casa Valeria, New Garden and Casa Cayena had good WIFI as I can recall. I cannot speak to the other hotels listed.

I currently use a Orange mini hotspot WIFI box which is small enough to carry with me where ever I go. I paid 3300 pesos for the box and 900 pesos a month for the service. I do not know the speed but it does well for surfing the internet although sometimes I am a bit slow when I view videos on YouTube. I believe I have the slowest speed and probably could upgrade for an increased monthly rate.

The Orange or Claro hot spot may or may not be a good idea for a 1 time traveler to the Dominican Republic but for someone who comes frequently and is in need of a definite connection the investment might be worth it.

Thanks

Just thought of it, but if this guy has TMobile, they now have free international data included in just about all or most of their plans... I know TGunz has it and is always on his phone in the DR... If he does have it, he can make his phone a hotspot and work off that...

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    WIFI - Sosua Hotels

First let me say I love Victoria House and everything the owner did for me during my many stays but honestly speaking WIFI is sporadic at best, therefore I could not recommend it if WIFI was a deal breaker unless something has changed. Casa Valeria, New Garden and Casa Cayena had good WIFI as I can recall. I cannot speak to the other hotels listed.

I currently use a Orange mini hotspot WIFI box which is small enough to carry with me where ever I go. I paid 3300 pesos for the box and 900 pesos a month for the service. I do not know the speed but it does well for surfing the internet although sometimes I am a bit slow when I view videos on YouTube. I believe I have the slowest speed and probably could upgrade for an increased monthly rate.

The Orange or Claro hot spot may or may not be a good idea for a 1 time traveler to the Dominican Republic but for someone who comes frequently and is in need of a definite connection the investment might be worth it.

Click to see pic

I absolutely agree with Camaro and in response, Victorian House has made a major upgrade to our internet. This upgrade was just completed almost 2 months ago. EVERY ROOM now has an individual router with cable internet service. The total bandwidth of the property is now 50 gigabits. You will have a hard time finding better internet in a hotel on the north coast.

Do not take my word for it. Visit Victorian House and ask to see a guest room. Connect to the router with your phone, or bring your computer with and hard wire to the router directly, if you prefer. You will walk convinced at the quality of our internet.

XXX,

If your friend goes with a hot spot, Claro hot spot has superior wifi speed to Orange. It is a bit more expensive (~1300 pesos a month), but it is much faster.

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

I stayed at Casa Cayena where the connection was pretty good. Met a few guys at New Garden where I asked for the wifi password and
    it was pretty good as well, much improved from years ago. My stays at Sosua Suites the Wifi was the best as it had a router in the room.
    Although, if he needs uninterrupted connection with high speed data, nothing in my opinion works 100% there, better off to buy a plan as
    a backup.
    We don't catch feelings, we catch flights.

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    How much was it?

I can't connect or I'd send a screenshot. I found this on the internet which appears accurate from what I recall. It has info for both Claro and Orange.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c...nican_Republic

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for all the great responses fellas,,,,,

This Is what I like about this board,,,,,getting responses from Dquick,,,Cam,,,Beas,,Tarzan,,,Irie,,,Deezl and Michel,,,,ETC,,, that could possibly help making a first time sosua travelers decision a little easier to fit his needs.

Dquick,,,,,I remember you coming up to me on my last stay at the Vic house,,,specifically asking about how I liked the wifi,,,and how it was working for me..... I believed I told you it was good at times,,,,,,

Its good you took the time to get peoples opinions, and then took action on this issue,,,,,,,your doing a great job man,,,,,

I sent this member a PM,,,,so hopefully he reads all this stuff,,,,,,,

He is a lurker that was supposed to go for the first time three years ago,,,but those plans fell through,,,,but is finally making his trip in August,,,,,

Back then he was a big fan of Tiger and I's reports,,,,but was and is currently making his plans based on where I stayed back then ( sousua Suites) in a old report of mine.

I told him I have since then been to many other hotels in sousa and have become a huge fan of some other places,,,,,

Casa Valeria for its location,,,,cleanliness,,and friendly staff,,,,,,,

Victorian House for its beautiful location,,,,,good restaurant,,and the fact that Mr. Rey,,and Mr. Quick were there,,,,,

And most recently Don Antonios for its location,,,nice bar area,,,,updated rooms ,,,and of course the friendliness of Obie,,,,,,

There are of course many others,, but you get the point

I'm sure there are some members that would not have even answered a newbie /lurkers PM's back then or even now,,,,,,but I just figured why not help the man out, and help make his first trip more enjoyable,,,,,

I have no problem helping out with chica prices,,,,restaurants,,,,changing money ,,,and a few other things,,,,,,but like Irie said earlier,,,,,,I am stepping into unchartered waters here on this wifi stuff.

Again,, thanks,,,,,,,and I hope he appreciates your input,,,

29. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

For the record ,,,I have stayed at all the Hotels listed ,,,,,,,,

Except for the New Garden,,,,,,,,

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Dont even know if I connected at Don Antonio but I definitely liked the night or two I stayed in one of the new rooms and Obie was a good guy to talk to... I would definitely stay there again!

The room I had at Victorian House was great and could be because El Rey hooked me up with the first room on the ground floor near the restaurant... Haven't been there since Big D has been there, but i'm guessing there are even more great options on that menu.. B was always good to me in the restaurant and even bought me a salmon dinner one night and that was probably the best salmon I even had, anywhere, including the USA! Now that I met DQuick on the last trip, I would definitely stay there again...

I stayed at Sosua Suites and wouldn't stay there again... There were many small issues that were liveable but there's too many options that you don't have to deal with the little shit in Sosua... Yes, if I pay money, I expect what I want, even in a 3rd world country...

Rockies, if i'm ever broke and need a place to sleep, I would either stay there or in one of my chicas shacks... It's a toss up... Same difference IMO...

New Garden, I stayed there once or twice but other then the parties there, I wouldn't make it my top option... More because I rather leave the gate to get my chicas and not have them on top of me asking for me to take them while I wanna just chill at my hotel... Funny how I used to love that shit at Sosua Palace back in the day! How things change... Guess it can be a good problem to have for most/some...

Europa - A little away from the action but I never had any problems there... It was pretty inexpensive the few times I stayed there (between 35-40 bucks a night) The last time I was there, the guy turned on the A/C, it wasn't blowing cold enough and he said no problem, and opened another room to be sure I was happy... I would stay there again if it's still the same...

I know, I didn't mention WiFi here but that's my take on some of the hotels I have stayed at... My short version of a Camaro Synopsis lol

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    Dont even know if I connected at Don Antonio but I definitely liked the night or two I stayed in one of the new rooms and Obie was a good guy to talk to... I would definitely stay there again!

The room I had at Victorian House was great and could be because El Rey hooked me up with the first room on the ground floor near the restaurant... Haven't been there since Big D has been there, but i'm guessing there are even more great options on that menu.. B was always good to me in the restaurant and even bought me a salmon dinner one night and that was probably the best salmon I even had, anywhere, including the USA! Now that I met DQuick on the last trip, I would definitely stay there again...

I stayed at Sosua Suites and wouldn't stay there again... There were many small issues that were liveable but there's too many options that you don't have to deal with the little shit in Sosua... Yes, if I pay money, I expect what I want, even in a 3rd world country...

Rockies, if i'm ever broke and need a place to sleep, I would either stay there or in one of my chicas shacks... It's a toss up... Same difference IMO...

New Garden, I stayed there once or twice but other then the parties there, I wouldn't make it my top option... More because I rather leave the gate to get my chicas and not have them on top of me asking for me to take them while I wanna just chill at my hotel... Funny how I used to love that shit at Sosua Palace back in the day! How things change... Guess it can be a good problem to have for most/some...

Europa - A little away from the action but I never had any problems there... It was pretty inexpensive the few times I stayed there (between 35-40 bucks a night) The last time I was there, the guy turned on the A/C, it wasn't blowing cold enough and he said no problem, and opened another room to be sure I was happy... I would stay there again if it's still the same...

I know, I didn't mention WiFi here but that's my take on some of the hotels I have stayed at... My short version of a Camaro Synopsis lol

Not disagreeing at all but for anyone that is willing to operate some form of motorized vehicle, there are some great deals on villas on those 'rent by owner' sites.

For example, I had a two bedroom with private pool for as little as $34/night. Granted it was an extended stay, but even a 10 day +\- is running between $45-50/night. This was in the Playa Chiquita area........still walkable to many places, but not daily imo.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,127 Times in 3,034 Posts

Stayed at Don Antonio/Las Palmeras last trip. Was on the 3rd floor. Wifi inside the room sucks. OK in the balcony and great by the restaurant and pool area. I just bring down my laptop for breakfast, a couple of cups of coffee and clean up the work emails.

37. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CentralNJDude For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Not disagreeing at all but for anyone that is willing to operate some form of motorized vehicle, there are some great deals on villas on those 'rent by owner' sites.

For example, I had a two bedroom with private pool for as little as $34/night. Granted it was an extended stay, but even a 10 day +\- is running between $45-50/night. This was in the Playa Chiquita area........still walkable to many places, but not daily imo.
    Absolutely... I stayed in a few very nice villas... Tgunz and I stayed a little out of Sosua, past the new supermarket (by the way this supermarket has some great homemade ice cream when you first walk in) it was $100 a night including the two bedroom villa with own pool and the truck rental (all included in the 100 per night/ $50 bucks each)

Lions Pride, in Sosua, very nice but one has 4 bedrooms and I believe the other 2 or 3 bedrooms... Only been in the 4 bedroom when Papirazzi was staying there.... Very relaxing and your own watchyman with shotgun in hand

I think the others I did stay at were Hispanola and Casa Linda, but honestly can't remember for sure... I know they were always great... If you have a wingman or two, they are a must stay (if you dont mind driving)

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information