Thread: 06/2015 - Deportation of illegal immigrants from 15 June 2015

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

06/2015 - Deportation of illegal immigrants from 15 June 2015

Not to be an asshole, but does the closure not have anything to do with the upcoming deportation of illegal Haitians? timing is a little of a coincedence. For those that do not live here or are not aware, this is happening after June 16. The military and buses are already in the villages and are ready to remove the illegal haitians. Sad times ahead.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,480 Times in 10,191 Posts

Re: 06/2015 - Na Rive to cease operations this summer

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    Not to be an asshole, but does the closure not have anything to do with the upcoming deportation of illegal Haitians? timing is a little of a coincedence. For those that do not live here or are not aware, this is happening after June 16. The military and buses are already in the villages and are ready to remove the illegal haitians. Sad times ahead.

Yes ,,,this is going to suck,,,,,And I hear about this now quite frequently,,,,,,

A board member/ friend recently told me how his favorita was simply going to the colmado , when she was grabbed,,,,,,

She told them that her passport was back at her casa ( which I know still wasn't a Visa,, ,,),,,,But,,,,they didn't care and loaded her up on the bus with just the clothes on her back,,,,no passport,,,,no phone,,and no money,,,,,,

You are correct buddy,,,,,Some Sad times are ahead ,,,,,,,
    " Expect The Best, Be Prepared For The Worst, Fuck What Others Think, And Do Your Own Thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

No, the closure is solely for the one reason I stated above: my physically inability to carry on and the fact that there is no-one to replace me.

However, as I speculated above, in the hypothetical event that another person or persons continued the work, the pogrom might be a complicating factor.

Were I in a position to do so, I could carry on a slimmed-down school with children from "legalized" families. The Director claims this would include most of our students. I somehow doubt this, but hope he is right. There will certainly be enough left in the area to make a school viable. A smaller school would be cheaper to run and might be viable with reduced income, though the per capita cost of educating each student would rise.

No-one knows exactly what will happen. The logistics of deporting 5% of the entire population in even minimally humane conditions to satisfy international observers would seem to be way beyond a nation which cannot empty its dumpster bins with reasonable regularity. My best guess is that rather than one comprehensive plan there will be constant but patchy harassment to make Haitians uncomfortable and eager to return home voluntarily.

The other side of the coin is that, if say half of them leave, those remaining legally will find it much easier to find work.

One of the frustrations of the school was the constant turnover of students. I guess that those who came and went tended to be from "illegal" itinerant families and those who have stayed with us over two to four years were mostly from "legal" families. It follows that if the school roll comprised only the latter, it would be easier to administer and studies would progress faster.

Good point to have raised and I assure you that your post does not in any way affect my opinion as to whether you are an asshole.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well Weyland, you and your people have done a great thing and all has to come to an end at some point. Congrats on what you have achieved and all the best with your health. See you around.

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    No, the closure is solely for the one reason I stated above: my physically inability to carry on and the fact that there is no-one to replace me.

However, as I speculated above, in the hypothetical event that another person or persons continued the work, the pogrom might be a complicating factor.

Were I in a position to do so, I could carry on a slimmed-down school with children from "legalized" families. The Director claims this would include most of our students. I somehow doubt this, but hope he is right. There will certainly be enough left in the area to make a school viable. A smaller school would be cheaper to run and might be viable with reduced income, though the per capita cost of educating each student would rise.

No-one knows exactly what will happen. The logistics of deporting 5% of the entire population in even minimally humane conditions to satisfy international observers would seem to be way beyond a nation which cannot empty its dumpster bins with reasonable regularity. My best guess is that rather than one comprehensive plan there will be constant but patchy harassment to make Haitians uncomfortable and eager to return home voluntarily.

The other side of the coin is that, if say half of them leave, those remaining legally will find it much easier to find work.

One of the frustrations of the school was the constant turnover of students. I guess that those who came and went tended to be from "illegal" itinerant families and those who have stayed with us over two to four years were mostly from "legal" families. It follows that if the school roll comprised only the latter, it would be easier to administer and studies would progress faster.

Good point to have raised and I assure you that your post does not in any way affect my opinion as to whether you are an asshole.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XXX View Post
    Yes ,,,this is going to suck,,,,,And I hear about this now quite frequently,,,,,,

A board member/ friend recently told me how his favorita was simply going to the colmado , when she was grabbed,,,,,,

She told them that her passport was back at her casa ( which I know still wasn't a Visa,, ,,),,,,But,,,,they didn't care and loaded her up on the bus with just the clothes on her back,,,,no passport,,,,no phone,,and no money,,,,,,

You are correct buddy,,,,,Some Sad times are ahead ,,,,,,,
    A passport with no Visa means nothing.

They did this all the time when I was in Sosua from 2000-2004 but stopped for a while.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Re: Deportation of illegal immigrants from 15 June 2015

Wonder if all the hard core Boca Haitians will get rounded up June 15?

Damn Boca could be dead come invasion Probably not ...they will still be out is my bet.....

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: Deportation of illegal immigrants from 15 June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Wonder if all the hard core Boca Haitians will get rounded up June 15?

Damn Boca could be dead come invasion Probably not ...they will still be out is my bet.....
    They were gone last trip. Very few around.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Re: 06/2015 - Deportation of illegal immigrants from 15 June 2015

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Does this mean if they have a Visa they are okay ???

Also,my favorita told me that her father said that even if you have a Visa,,,you still have to go back to Haiti and pay $20 every month for some reason ????
    Thats where he is now.

I dont quite get what she was talking about ?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks

my take is that the DR visa in their passport allows them entry just like you or I.. upon entry they pay a $20 fee good for 30 days.. If they overstay the 30 days they are obligated to pay more just like any other tourist. 30-90 days adds another 2.5 mil...ect. ect

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bailar View Post
    my take is that the DR visa in their passport allows them entry just like you or I.. upon entry they pay a $20 fee good for 30 days.. If they overstay the 30 days they are obligated to pay more just like any other tourist. 30-90 days adds another 2.5 mil...ect. ect
    Ok,,,,,that makes sense.

But as far as when the raids start,,,,,, having the visa saves them from being deported,,,????

Or is there more to it ...?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok,,,,,that makes sense.

But as far as when the raids start,,,,,, having the visa saves them from being deported,,,????

Or is there more to it ...?
    As long as the visa is still valid I would think so.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Does this mean if they have a Visa they are okay ???

Also,my favorita told me that her father said that even if you have a Visa,,,you still have to go back to Haiti and pay $20 every month for some reason ????
    Thats where he is now.

I dont quite get what she was talking about ?
    That $20 is a tax that goes to the Haitian government, which grants them the visa. They don't have to physcically go there to pay it. A visa is no good as it does not give them permission to work. They need proper permits....in this case the "Regularization" card.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That $20 is a tax that goes to the Haitian government, which grants them the visa. They don't have to physcically go there to pay it. A visa is no good as it does not give them permission to work. They need proper permits....in this case the "Regularization" card.

So you are saying the Visa will not save them from being deported ,,,,;?????

Or are you just saying they wont be able to get a job with just a visa ,,,,??????

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So you are saying the Visa will not save them from being deported ,,,,;?????

Or are you just saying they wont be able to get a job with just a visa ,,,,??????
    A visa won't save them. They need the other documents if they want to live here full time and also to work. They can go back to Haiti after 30 days to get their passport stamped back in and out, but that does not give them (or anybody) the legal right to work.....you need a cedula to work here legally. Which is why most Haitians don't have insurance plans at their work cause they are not legal and the company hiring them can get fined heavily.

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

Would like to see what the crowd looks like at Bar Central next weekend.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Would like to see what the crowd looks like at Bar Central next weekend.

Should be the same this coming weekend, quiet. Just drove back from Bavaro to Sosua. 6 roadside checkpionts, 4 asking for docs to prove that you are not a tourist. Asked one of the guys whats going to happen after the 17th when deporting gringos who overstay, he laughed and said they will be asked for lunch $$$. Didn't ask about what happens to the Haitians, unfortunately we all know the answer to that.
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

June 15, 2015 - Nacional de Regularizacion de Extranjeros

I had an attorney assist me with my documents and after presenting them to the representatives of the Department of Interior he secured a number to take my photo and get my temporary cedula. I arrived at the office which is just next to the Policia National Office in Puerto Plata and saw a line outside that stretched over a block and had to be over 300 people. I was glad I had a number because if not it would have been a sad day.

The wait consist of 3 areas, first the street, second inside the metal barriers and third inside the gate under a tarp which provided a little relief from the blistering sun and it was almost 90 degrees. Since I had a number I passed the first 2 areas and went inside the gate. I waited 2 hours until my number was called, went inside the office the official filled out some paperwork and told me to go back outside and wait again so I could get my photo taken...how's that for Dominican efficiency?

The second wait consisted of over 4 hours I was reluctant to leave to use the bathroom for fear they would call my name and I would miss getting my photo taken and have to come back and wait another 4 hours. Just as I was thinking about using the bathroom I saw a Haitian go behind the building turn his back and start urinating. There was a heavy police presence, one of the officers challenged him and walked away and let him finish...GTFOOH!...only in the Dominican Republic will the police let you piss on the side of a government building.

Finally they call my name for my photo and when I go inside I see what the problem is, there is only 1 camera fingerprint scanning machine. They take my photo and fingerprints and print out a temporary cedula I am supposed to get the hardcopy in 6 weeks.

I marveled at Dominican efficiency and lack of organization. I almost witnessed a riot when the officials told everyone standing in line the operation was going to shut down. I must admit there was a twinkle of fear for a minute because the police had shot guns and assault rifles.

First phase is done...after 6 hours of waiting!

37. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information