Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09/2015 - Camaro's View Blackbeards - Field of Dreams 2015

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

09/2015 - Camaro's View Blackbeards - Field of Dreams 2015

Camaro's View Blackbeards - Field of Dreams 2015

This will be my second review in 2 years. I used the same format as the first review with a few different comments as a few things have changed at each venue. Below I have a link to the first report:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...eams&highlight=

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Camaro's View Blackbeards - Field of Dreams 2015

Introduction:

Since I have retired to the Dominican Republic I have nothing but leisure time, in that time I have travelled the Island and spent the majority of my time in Puerto Plata and of course Sosua. While life in a foreign country presents a myriad of challenges sometimes I still get bored. I spent time with the whole spectrum of chicas from non, semi and pro but I am still curious so I decided to visit Balckbeards and Field of Dreams. I did a comparison of each venue 2 years ago so I figured I would try again just to do something a little different.
    Below I have listed my synopsis for your review:

Locations:

Blackbeard's is in the Costmbar area outside Puerto Plata. It is a laid back gated community with a beach and very comfortable. If you are driving it can be difficult to find since there are no street signs that give directions.

Field of Dreams is on Calle Principal across the street from Playa Dorado in between Puerto Plata and Sosua.

Web Presence:

Blackbeard's has had the same web-site for years the design is quite antiquated but it is easy to navigate and everything is easy to find. Responses to inquiries were responded to in a timely manner.

Field of Dreams has a very modern web site that is very user friendly and informative. The responses were timely but when I arrived I discovered my reservation was not on their calendar. Apparently there is a former employee who has access to the web site but does not correspond with his former employers about web activity. If you don’t understand it neither do I …go figure?

Room quality:

Blackbeard's big room was large and quite comfortable. The air conditioning worked well and I had view of the grounds from the balcony. This room would be excellent for the wife up situation because there was a sitting area as well as a king size bed. The WI-FI worked excellently which was good because my Orange hot-spot was acting up. The furniture was decent and my room had a 24 inch flat screen TV.

Field of Dreams basic room was a decent size and quite comfortable. The air conditioning worked well. I did not use the WI-FI because my Orange hotspot was working well. The furniture was modern and my room had a 24 inch flat screen TV. The most interesting thing of course is the murals on the walls. IMHO they are kinda corny but whatever floats your boat.

Payment:

Blackbeard's large room was $75.00 per night.

Field of Dreams basic room was $55.00 per night.

Mini Bar fridge:

Blackbeard's - Blackbeard's discourages bringing food and drinks from outside but of course it can be done. The mini-bar had drinks and chips but no candy like last time. I had to suck it up when I got that chocolate craving in the middle of the night.

Field of Dreams had no refrigerator or mini-bar and when I woke up in the middle of the night with the munchies I was hurtin.

Safes:

Blackbeard's there was a key safe in the wall of the main closet.

Field of Dreams there was a key/combination safe in the wall of the main closet. Management wanted a $50.00 deposit for the key that would be returned upon departure. I passed as I have a combination lock on my luggage.

Bar:

Blackbeard's has 2 bars one downstairs next to the pool and one upstairs where they host events
    Field of Dreams has 1 bar which serves as a front desk and center of all the action.

Grounds:

Blackbeard's grounds were immaculate.

Field of Dreams grounds were immaculate.

Restaurants:

Blackbeard's the menu is basically American staples such as hamburgers and french fries but they did have some comida tipica on the menu also. I had the pollo quisado which was absolutely delicious in fact I could go back just to eat theirs it was so tasty.

Field of Dreams the menu was less extensive than Blackbeards and did not include comida tipico. In addition there were 1000DP items such as 10oz sirloin steak. In general everything was more expensive than Blackbeards. The food in general was not as good as Blackbeards.

Noise:

Blackbeards during the day there was some repairing going on so I heard some hammering, also you can hear the staff doing their cleaning. At night the music from the club was loud as well as the activity down by the pool.

Field of Dreams At night the music was very loud but during the day there was more of a tranquil atmosphere.

Transportation:

Blackbeards staff can call a moto or taxi per your request.

Field of Dreams staff can call a taxi per your request. (no motos because of the location)

Safety:

Blackbeards has overnight security and the gate is locked after midnight when the chicas leave. At no time during my stay did I feel unsafe.

Field of Dreams has overnight security and the gate is locked after midnight when the chicas leave. At no time during my stay did I feel unsafe.

Blackbeard's Chicas:

The chicas are directly accountable to 1 of 2 Mamasans who have the authority to hire and fire them. All complaints and issues with the chicas are to be resolved through the Mamasan because the chicas are independent contractors that do not work for the hotel.

There are 2 groups of chicas, the afternoon shift 11am- 6pm approximately a dozen and the evening shift approximately 2 dozen from 5pm - midnight. 1800DP for ST and 3300DP for TLN. There was a 300 pesos price increase from my last visit which reflects the devaluation of the peso against the dollar.

The majority of the chicas work 6 days a week with 1 day off however some have other arrangements with the Mamasan. The chicas are very friendly with one another and will often approach you in pairs in order to encourage "Happy Hour." Some will approach and give their saludos and others will just sit back tranquilla. Some really know how to work the room and others just look. I sensed no jealousy or competition it is as if they are a family, they share drinks and food together.
    The chicas were not as attractive as my last visit where there were some 8’s in the house this trip the majority were 6’s but at night when they dressed up they came up to 7’s.

Field of Dreams Chicas:

The chicas are directly accountable to a Mamasans or the manager on duty. All the chicas are independent contractors that do not work for the hotel. Some of the chicas live on the property. One of the chicas told me she lives in one large room with no TV that has 6 beds and sometimes sleeps 10 chicas.

There are 2 groups of chicas the ones who live on sight and the ones who live off sight which straggle in during different parts of the day. The tarifa is 1600DP for ST and 3000DP for TLN. This is the same price point as 2 years ago. The majority of the chcas work 6 days a week with 1 day off however some have other arrangements with the management. The chicas are not required to sign in or turn their cell phones in. There would be a dozen chicas on property at any time in comparison to twice as many at Blackbeards.

Some will approach and give their saludos and others will just sit back tranquilla. Some really know how to work the room and others just look. I sensed no jealousy or competition it is as if they are a family, they share drinks and food together. The chicas ranged from 5-6 but at night when they changed clothes there were a few that made a beautiful transition and I would give them high 7s.

Check in & Check out:

Blackbeard's has a check in desk, everything went smooth details are reviewed from their handbook and you are given your keys after the manager gives you a brief orientation.

Field of Dreams has a comfortable air-conditioned check in office. There is no handbook or orientation on how things work you are simply given your keys and fend for yourself.

Anecdotal perspective:

Although the talent level was nothing to write home about I saw some cuties both at Field of Dreams and Blackbeards. Both spots make a good diversion for me since I live in the area. I can relax, eat some good food and have my choice of chicas without all the drama of Sosua. I am seriously considering taking a weekend every couple of months and using both venues as a get-away to break my monotony.

Conclusion:

Both Blackbeards and Field of Dreams are inexpensive hotel options where mongers can practice this thing of ours in relative safety. They are excellent places for the novice monger or the veteran monger who does not want to hunt and desires everything at his fingertips. Since they both are controlled environments issues such as negotiation of tarifas, thefts and scams are rarely if ever an issue. The difference between the two options is Blackbeards is far more organized and efficient than Field of Dreams. As I observed from my last visit the talent pool varies so you never know what you are going to get until you arrive.

For all who are interested I encourage you to make a comparison for yourself.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

The last time I went to FOD I think I got a room for a couple hours. Is the price you quoted for 55 the same if you are there and need a room to hook up with the chick while visiting ?

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,474 Times in 2,511 Posts

Thanks for the update Cam, sounds like you were a little less impressed with BB chicas and more impressed with FOD. I think a lot can account with tastes and timing (who is on site at the time). It is a testament that you live in paradise that you are "considering" taking a weekend every month or so to break up the monotony. LOL Sosua problems. Appreciate the update as always. Thanks man!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to minkyboodle For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LJDMV View Post
    The last time I went to FOD I think I got a room for a couple hours. Is the price you quoted for 55 the same if you are there and need a room to hook up with the chick while visiting ?
    Sorry, I really don't know I didn't ask about short time rates.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 795 Posts

I was there about a month ago during the afternoon. I checked the prices out of curiosity and they quoted room+chica=3600 pesos for two hours. I obviously declined. The girls also were ugly and sleepy on the couches near the bar...
    follow my Negril trip report at http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429348-07-2014-I-am-back-in-the-saddle-again-El-Cristo-Negril-trip-report

Sometimes we fuck up...and life is so much better that way...

12. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

At 3600 for S/t you got to get a girl that you think is hot and will put in work. Especially when there are a bunch 2,000 peso chicas up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCristo View Post
    I was there about a month ago during the afternoon. I checked the prices out of curiosity and they quoted room+chica=3600 pesos for two hours. I obviously declined. The girls also were ugly and sleepy on the couches near the bar...

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Excellent report as ever, Camaro. You are the go-to guy when it comes to calm, detailed and unbiased reporting which newbies can rely on.

A few comments:

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    Since I have retired to the Dominican Republic I have nothing but leisure time ... sometimes I still get bored.
    I have lived here full-time for six years after three years of vacations. I don't think I have ever been bored for a minute. On the contrary I have not done half the things I would like to do. All my life I have read three or four books a week. In the DR I have read half-a dozen in as many years.

Part of the reason is that simple household chores take five times as long here. Things don't last, you cannot find the parts, the office is shut, the water is cut off, the power is out, you have to stand in line for an hour for a transaction which would take five minutes in our home countries, you are forever fighting overcharging or misdirected billing, etc, etc. Doing some shopping and paying a few bills can fill a day, whereas in the UK or US it would take an hour.

If you are really bored, you might want to take on an hour or two of charity work each week. You do not have to get in deep like me so it takes over your life and becomes a pain to the guys on the board.

Field of Dreams has a very modern web site that is very user friendly and informative. The responses were timely but when I arrived I discovered my reservation was not on their calendar. Apparently there is a former employee who has access to the web site but does not correspond with his former employers about web activity. If you don’t understand it neither do I …go figure?
    The explanation is as follows. Jeffrey, a North American, was the manager, and also responsible for the website, for many years. He recently fell out with the owner, Pedro, a Dominican, and has been expelled. Apparently the parting was not amicable as Jeffey retains control of the website. I assume the domain name is registered to him. Hopefully something can be sorted out once tempers have cooled. Until then you cannot rely on the information on the website presenting the current owner's intentions.

Transportation:

Blackbeards staff can call a moto or taxi per your request.

Field of Dreams staff can call a taxi per your request. (no motos because of the location)
    This is where your otherwise excellent report misses out big time. The majority of visiting mongers do not own or rent cars, and most will resent wasting money on taxi hire which could buy them another chica.

The great advantage of Field of Dreams over Blackbeards is that it lies directly on the main road from Puerto Plata to Sosua (and Cabarete) and is served by fast, frequent and very cheap public transport 24/7. Blackbeards is awkward to get in and out of using public transport and impossible after dark. Field of Dreams is only a third the distance to Sosua in time and cost (though not in miles) so it is great place to take Sosua chicas back to for the night. (Of course, once a monger learns the ropes he will not be finding his chicas in Sosua).

Non-"house" chicas have always been less resented at Field of Dreams than Blackbeards, though I do not know if that is still the case under the new regime. I think that dates back to the late Dominican Billy's days when there were no putas working on the premises so all chicas came from outside.

Incidentally, there are motos that serve Field of Dreams. Just watch the staff arriving and leaving, for example. If the desk don't want to call you one it is because they want a cut from a taxi-driver. When I lived there I collected three or four moto numbers to rely on. Of course, the number of places you can conveniently go by moto from FoD is limited (I mainly used them to visit Munoz), but they are there if you need them.

Field of Dreams Chicas:

The tarifa is 1600DP for ST and 3000DP for TLN. This is the same price point as 2 years ago.
    I understand prices have increased, or soon will increase, to match Blackbeards' pricing. I await confirmation of that rumor.

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Cam noted in his synopsis that the girls get 1600 ST. At 3600 they're charging you for $45 for a short term rental. That's ridiculous. I think they really don't want non guests fucking the girls on site.

At 3600 for S/t you got to get a girl that you think is hot and will put in work. Especially when there are a bunch 2,000 peso chicas up the road.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    Cam noted in his synopsis that the girls get 1600 ST. At 3600 they're charging you for $45 for a short term rental. That's ridiculous. I think they really don't want non guests fucking the girls on site.
    I agree it is ridiculous, but I do not agree that they do not want this trade. Field of Dreams was built to serve gringos from Playa Dorada and Costa Dorada slipping away from their wives or golfing partners. Customers like that are not going to look for cheaper fucks elsewhere, they want something quick and convenient. They may not even be aware of the monger scene elsewhere or, if aware of it, have been frightened off by stories of muggings, scams, police raids, etc. So they compare the price of US$45 with what they would pay in their own countries and think it is a bargain. Same principle as Passions operated under, serving Cuba Dave's fan-club.

The other issue is that the 3600 pesos may include short-time room hire. I am not clear on that, but if so it makes it more reasonable. Many guys in Sosua think 2500 pesos is "standard'. Add 800 for a cabana and it is not that much different. Certainly not worth the trip to Sosua from Playa Dorada.

According to El Cristo's post above, two hours with a chica plus room costs US$80. I have heard that price from other sources, but I have also heard much lower prices quoted. If they stick to US$80 then that is indeed "ridiculous".

Having said all that, Billy's strategy of picking up clients from Playa Dorada never got off the ground, which is why he was always struggling to break even. Maybe the current management think they will have more luck. They have one advantage. They are Dominican, so probably know who to bribe.
    Last edited by weyland; 09-29-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks

Re: 09/2015 - Camaro's View Blackbeards - Field of Dreams 2015

First, fantastic review of both resorts Camaro! Perfect timing for me to add to it as I just returned this weekend from a 5 day stay at both BB and FOD.
    Big announcement for FOD, Do NOT use the website to book there. E-mail the resort directly : ranisabela@yahoo.com This email is to Anita who is the British lady that used to bartend, now working in the office doing reservations and almost everything

at FOD(paid peanuts for doing all the work). Pedro is the Dominican "Owner" of FOD. He and Jeffrey used to partner in running FOD. All this info, I know because I had a couple sit downs with Pedro while I was there. Anyway a couple months ago, Pedro got a court order barring Jeffrey from FOD property while he was on vacation. When Jeffrey came back he ignored the order, and Pedro and the police came & removed him. Afterwards, they had an agreement, that Jeffrey would still run the website & get a 10% commission for his bookings. While there, Jeffrey posted on another board controversial statements about Anita & Pedro conspiracy theories. Also Pedro had no knowledge of Jeffreys latest newsletter. So Pedro has cut ties with Jeffrey, but Jeffrey still has the website. Anita & Pedro are working on a new website, so in the meantime, everyone make reservations to the email I provided.

Of course I suggested many ideas to improve the resort, which I have done before. It has showed some progress, but not that much. We got them to have chicas bring their own towels like at BB, which they did not do before. For security at FOD, they now have a day time guard too, besides the night guy. FOD chicas are independent contractors and have to fill out registration forms just like us checking in every day. I think they pay 100p for each customer and they receive a dominican meal each day & a snack for this that is served in the back. Girls come in every 2 hours starting at 11 besides the girls staying there. Optimum time to visit is from 5PM-9PM when most girls are there. They get dressed up at 7PM. Quality of the girls in my opinion was pretty good, not as good as BB, but FOD chicas are more GFE. They tend to be more party girls, while BB are more professional. Also at FOD, they can get nude and almost anything goes. Bikini contests are Wed at 5PM and I've seen lots of nudity, girl on girl, & even dildo. Hot water and water pressure are better at FOD than BB too. I found the internet at FOD to be faster than BB, but you need to be in the bar area for that.
    Another big thing Pedro told me about is very soon they will have some Chicas from Columbia & Venezuela there. Actually current chica rates are the same as BB ST40/1800p and TLN 75/3400p. When the new chicas come in the rates will go up $10. so ST50/2200p and TLN 85/3800p. Pedro showed me some pics and they were hot. They were supposed to arrive when I was there, but as of today, still nothing, so who knows what will happen. I will report back when it happens.

At BB things are running smoothly as always. As most know the owner John is very sick and BB is up for sale. When I was a there, they regrouted all the tiles in the dining and bar area and were extending the tiles on the other side of the bar where the lounge chairs are. Also they were chipping paint and the white stuff LOL, off the jacuzzi, so they are redoing it too. Lots of noise as they did their work at night.

Final thoughts. I though the girls at both FOD and BB were some of the best I've seen in all my years of coming there. I've been down 3X this year for about 10 days at a time. BB is still well run and organized, while FOD is not organized. Pedro the owner is not there much as he has businesses to run in Puerto Plata, so his daughter Madeline runs it in the day, and his son and girlfriend/ex Jenny runs it at night. For any problems though, go to the office to Anita for help.
    Last edited by Jimmydr; 09-29-2015 at 08:22 PM.

21. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to huskerdude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Excellent current information, huskerdude.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdude View Post
    When the new chicas come in the rates will go up [to] ST US$50/2200p and TLN US$85/3800p.
    Can you clarify whether use of room is included for short-time visitors for that price? And indeed a discount for over-night stay if taking a chica TLN?

Not for myself, of course, but for others.

Funny that on another board someone just said he would never stay at FoD because it reminded him of a prison. While very aware of the insane pricing and chaotic management, I do think that, now Dominican Billy's landscaping has matured after ten years, it is one of the most pleasant environments on the North Coast.

If prisons are like that they can send me down tomorrow!

23. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Final thoughts. I though the girls at both FOD and BB were some of the best I've seen in all my years of coming there. I've been down 3X this year for about 10 days at a time. BB is still well run and organized, while FOD is not organized. Pedro the owner is not there much as he has businesses to run in Puerto Plata, so his daughter Madeline runs it in the day, and his son and girlfriend/ex Jenny runs it at night. For any problems though, go to the office to Anita for help.
    Ever think about coming to one of the Boca Invasions?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Weyland & Huskerdude

Thanks for sharing your insights. Some questions I had have been answered by both your post...thanks again...

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Excellent current information, huskerdude.

Can you clarify whether use of room is included for short-time visitors for that price? And indeed a discount for over-night stay if taking a chica TLN?

Not for myself, of course, but for others.

Funny that on another board someone just said he would never stay at FoD because it reminded him of a prison. While very aware of the insane pricing and chaotic management, I do think that, now Dominican Billy's landscaping has matured after ten years, it is one of the most pleasant environments on the North Coast.

If prisons are like that they can send me down tomorrow!
    The prices I quoted are for people staying at FOD. I can't say for sure, but I've heard the visitor price is currently $80US for room + girl and it will go up $10 as well when new girls arrive. However I've heard of visitors being charged from 80-120US for visitors not staying at FOD. You would be better off just getting a room for the day as there is almost always openings at fOD.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to huskerdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,716 Times in 4,467 Posts

A few comments:

I have lived here full-time for six years after three years of vacations

Things don't last, you cannot find the parts, the office is shut, the water is cut off, the power is out, you have to stand in line for an hour for a transaction which would take five minutes in our home countries, you are forever fighting overcharging or misdirected billing, etc, etc. Doing some shopping and paying a few bills can fill a day, whereas in the UK or US it would take an hour.

I don't know if this is already contained in a thread somewhere else but I am interested to read about the things that you mentioned above. I know this thread is not the place for that discussion.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SrSuerte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,716 Times in 4,467 Posts

I see the $80 quote that I received has been confirmed by other members and in some cases higher for short time visits at FOD. I received tender lovin in FOD and I have been to war with the chicas in BBs (meaning a high energy fuck session)

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SrSuerte For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

... there are almost always openings at FOD.
    Not surprised with that pricing. More surprising anyone is there at all.

Took an English visitor there around New Year. There was not a single person staying there. Other times recently there have only been two or three guests.

Dominican Billy reckoned he needed to fill seven rooms out of twelve to break even, but his overheads were smaller as he and his girlfriend did most of the work themselves. Also a lot of money has been invested on "improvements" since Billy's day

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SrSuerte View Post
    I don't know if this is already contained in a thread somewhere else but I am interested to read about the things that you mentioned above. I know this thread is not the place for that discussion.
    Not specific to mongers so not interesting on this site, but if you read DR1.com there are hundreds of stories about the frustrations of living here.

I will give just two examples as I don't want to foul up Camaro's excellent thread.

I moved into my present apartment five years ago. The owner confirmed all the electricity bills had been paid up to date. Two years ago my power cut out. I thought it was just the usual power outage. Once it got dark I realized my neighbors had light. I assumed I had an electrical fault and called in an electrician next day. He ascertained that Edenorte had cut off my power at the meter. Went to the office and after being fucked about for two hours they told me they had cut the power because of unpaid bills. I returned the next day (power now off for 36 hours) with all my old bills showing I always paid in full and on time. Finally it emerged they were claiming an unpaid amount by a previous occupant four years ago. I asked why it had only now come to light and they said that they had installed a new computer system (true) and had found the debt in an audit.

The owner lives in Luperon so it was quicker and cheaper for me to bite the bullet and pay the 50 dollars approx myself. They assured me there would be no further problems.

A few months ago the same thing happened. This time they were asking for 150 dollars in the name of a different former tenant from nine years ago. Luckily my landlady eventually agreed that I should pay and deduct it from my monthly rent, but her family were telling her not to agree to this as I might be scamming them and in any case they would lose out. My landlady thinks there was nothing owing and said she would get her lawyer to reclaim the money plus damages for her time. (Nothing about my fucking time and money wasted). Good luck with that.

I asked why the guy who arrived to cut off the power did not tell me (both times) so that I could save a day on getting it sorted. They said they always sneaked off quietly to avoid a physical confrontation. One tenant drove his SUV over the engineer's pasola.

I had a contract with Claro for TV/landline phone/ internet. My girlfriend and her kids were always dropping the remote control on the tile floor. After five years use it fell apart. I took it into Claro and they said replacements would be in at the weekend. I made about seven visits to their office and they always told me "a couple of days more". After six weeks I got fed up and cancelled the contract. I now only pay for internet and we use the free local TV (crap channels and reception, but my family are Haitians so they think it is great. So do I because I am saving money).

How can a big company like Claro not have any remote controls? What about the hundreds of people signing new contracts every week? They made me pay for the one we broke, which was fair enough.

I have had numerous similar problems with water, gas, insect infestation, overflowing sewage, noisy neighbors, parking spots (and I do not even have a car!), laptop repairs and other issues. I suspect I am one of the few tenants chipping in for the watchman's wages.

You need a special temperament to survive here without blowing a gasket. When I lived at Dominican Billy's place he would have terrible rows with workmen and service engineers every couple of days. That just made things worse because they were terrified of him and avoided coming to put things right or sent young trainees without a clue so there was one fuck-up after another.

37. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Not specific to mongers so not interesting on this site, but if you read DR1.com there are hundreds of stories about the frustrations of living here.

I will give just two examples as I don't want to foul up Camaro's excellent thread.

I moved into my present apartment five years ago. The owner confirmed all the electricity bills had been paid up to date. Two years ago my power cut out. I thought it was just the usual power outage. Once it got dark I realized my neighbors had light. I assumed I had an electrical fault and called in an electrician next day. He ascertained that Edenorte had cut off my power at the meter. Went to the office and after being fucked about for two hours they told me they had cut the power because of unpaid bills. I returned the next day (power now off for 36 hours) with all my old bills showing I always paid in full and on time. Finally it emerged they were claiming an unpaid amount by a previous occupant four years ago. I asked why it had only now come to light and they said that they had installed a new computer system (true) and had found the debt in an audit.

The owner lives in Luperon so it was quicker and cheaper for me to bite the bullet and pay the 50 dollars approx myself. They assured me there would be no further problems.

A few months ago the same thing happened. This time they were asking for 150 dollars in the name of a different former tenant from nine years ago. Luckily my landlady eventually agreed that I should pay and deduct it from my monthly rent, but her family were telling her not to agree to this as I might be scamming them and in any case they would lose out. My landlady thinks there was nothing owing and said she would get her lawyer to reclaim the money plus damages for her time. (Nothing about my fucking time and money wasted). Good luck with that.

I asked why the guy who arrived to cut off the power did not tell me (both times) so that I could save a day on getting it sorted. They said they always sneaked off quietly to avoid a physical confrontation. One tenant drove his SUV over the engineer's pasola.

I had a contract with Claro for TV/landline phone/ internet. My girlfriend and her kids were always dropping the remote control on the tile floor. After five years use it fell apart. I took it into Claro and they said replacements would be in at the weekend. I made about seven visits to their office and they always told me "a couple of days more". After six weeks I got fed up and cancelled the contract. I now only pay for internet and we use the free local TV (crap channels and reception, but my family are Haitians so they think it is great. So do I because I am saving money).

How can a big company like Claro not have any remote controls? What about the hundreds of people signing new contracts every week? They made me pay for the one we broke, which was fair enough.

I have had numerous similar problems with water, gas, insect infestation, overflowing sewage, noisy neighbors, parking spots (and I do not even have a car!), laptop repairs and other issues. I suspect I am one of the few tenants chipping in for the watchman's wages.

You need a special temperament to survive here without blowing a gasket. When I lived at Dominican Billy's place he would have terrible rows with workmen and service engineers every couple of days. That just made things worse because they were terrified of him and avoided coming to put things right or sent young trainees without a clue so there was one fuck-up after another.
    Weyland is saying to me...

...bienvenidos a La Republica Dominicana...

39. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information