Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12/2015 - Is there a way to get from Puerto Plata to Boca Chica

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

12/2015 - Is there a way to get from Puerto Plata to Boca Chica

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Is there a way to get from Puerto Plata to Boca Chica or the SDQ airport without going through the heart of santo domingo with all that traffic? Maybe a bypass when you first enter the capital??? (leaving from puerto plata so the Nagua route/new highway isn't an option)
    Yes. I can drive east on Hwy 5 from Puerto Plata through Sosua, Cabarette and Gasper Hernandez. On the outside of Naugua is the new highway south which is a toll road. It is a very comfortable ride less than 2 hours and it puts you out east of Santo Domingo and west of Boca Chica. The problem for me is that it adds about an hour to the trip because I have to drive to Nagua and then south.

That route is feasible if I am going to Boca Chica but makes no sense if I am going to San Cristobal which is west of Santo Domingo.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: 11/2015 - Camaro’s Journal Part 2 -2015-2016

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    Yes. I can drive east on Hwy 5 from Puerto Plata through Sosua, Cabarette and Gasper Hernandez. On the outside of Naugua is the new highway south which is a toll road. It is a very comfortable ride less than 2 hours and it puts you out east of Santo Domingo and west of Boca Chica. The problem for me is that it adds about an hour to the trip because I have to drive to Nagua and then south.

That route is feasible if I am going to Boca Chica but makes no sense if I am going to San Cristobal which is west of Santo Domingo.
    Very good option.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Re: 12/2015 - Is there a way to get from Puerto Plata to Boca Chica

it is a cool drive, You pass through a few towns. During parts of the drive you will see the ocean/beach. Once on the "new" highway it is a str8 shot into the capital and you are on the eastern edge so no traffic.

Fight the urge to speed haha

Whenever i going thru there is always a speed trap on the new highway they got me, i didnt even to fight or bribe them i just took the ticket. There is a toll so makesure you bring 50s or 100s peso notes
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Originally Posted by psriches:

Is there a way to get from Puerto Plata to Boca Chica or the SDQ airport without going through the heart of santo domingo with all that traffic? Maybe a bypass when you first enter the capital??? (leaving from puerto plata so the Nagua route/new highway isn't an option)

My question was/is; if there's another option other than the nagua route??

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Yes there is a way, it is another new highway, don't even think it is named yet, at the time I took it, it wasn't even on Google map, but I remembered it. It was the trip before, my Halloween trip, I was going up to Sosua, but was going to bang a chica in villa mella on my way out of town, after the cabana, I was already in North santo domingo, didn't make sense to go back towards boca, and I hate going through the center of the capital due to traffic. I recalled the last time when I was returning from santiago getting on a highway that avoided the central capital and let you out on a street called Konrad something, which is the continuation of Charles de Gaulle in North santo domingo. The first time I tried it they were still building the road. It was about a month before so I figured correctly that it would be completed. There was one toll on the road, brand new, nobody knows about it, I was basically the only car on it in both directions a real smooth ride. Coming from the capital, you would take Charles de Gaulle west till it turns into konrad whatever, and you will see signs stating circumnavigation of the capital, follow the signs, let's you out around pedro brand. Coming from the north just do the opposite, there are signs, shouldn't be to hard to find.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

Thanks

It is now on Google maps, not really a named highway, just indicates on Google maps circumnavigation of santo domingo, coming from the north just past pedro brand, you will see signs, there are two directions, one way circumnavigates the capital and let's you off in Haina, good for someone like Camaro when going to San Cristobal.

The other way takes you to santo domingo north which is a help, because if you were going up there you had to go down into the center of the capital, and then come up north again, now it is much quicker and direct, eliminates having to go through the traffic of the capital, and then going through the the traffic back up north on Maximo Gomez, by the way the road it let's you off on is called Konrad Adenauer. Take that east and it shortly changes to avenida Charles de Gaulle. You can take Charles de Gaulle all the way to Las Americas, which is the highway that goes to the airport.

Only current problem with Charles de Gaulle is that they are building another subway along it, so at one point you have to deter off De Gaulle for a short distance, but it is marked fairly well basically just follow the traffic pattern.

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    It is now on Google maps, not really a named highway, just indicates on Google maps circumnavigation of santo domingo, coming from the north just past pedro brand, you will see signs, there are two directions, one way circumnavigates the capital and let's you off in Haina, good for someone like Camaro when going to San Cristobal.

The other way takes you to santo domingo north which is a help, because if you were going up there you had to go down into the center of the capital, and then come up north again, now it is much quicker and direct, eliminates having to go through the traffic of the capital, and then going through the the traffic back up north on Maximo Gomez, by the way the road it let's you off on is called Konrad Adenauer. Take that east and it shortly changes to avenida Charles de Gaulle. You can take Charles de Gaulle all the way to Las Americas, which is the highway that goes to the airport.

Only current problem with Charles de Gaulle is that they are building another subway along it, so at one point you have to deter off De Gaulle for a short distance, but it is marked fairly well basically just follow the traffic pattern.
    Is the sign clearly visible from the road?? Easy to miss?? Is it clearly marked?? Does it say "haina" or "circumnavigation of santo domingo" or "las Americas"??

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

P

Another option from Sosua is to take highway 5 east past Cabarete and Sabaneta to highway 21 (some call it the other mountain road). Some people use this as an alt to get to STI , especially several years ago when Highway 5 was under construction in Puerto Plata.

At the end of the mountain run of 21 you can make a left turn at the gas station and this will take you to Moca, (the left is a Continuation of 21, a Right turn will take you to Santiago and the airport). Stay on 21 to go La Vega and there you can get on the Duarte highway to Santo Domingo.

Another alt is in Moca when highway 21 meets up with route 132 which is a fast drive to San Francisco. I have gone from Sosua to SF using the last route (5 to 21 to 132) and have done it in about 3 hours.

One thing to keep in mind is that 21 in Moca has windy corners and you need to pay attention to the signs and when needed just ask people. They are always very helpful.

Tony

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tony Toca For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am confused on the objection, is it to avoid traffic? or just looking for another route?

If you're based in sosua wouldnt the nagua, semana, route 7(newish highway) be the easiest? and you dont hit traffic.

are is the driver located west of sosua in puerta plata(+)

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here is the original question:

"Is there a way to get from Puerto Plata to Boca Chica or the SDQ airport without going through the heart of santo domingo with all that traffic? Maybe a bypass when you first enter the capital??? (leaving from puerto plata so the Nagua route/new highway isn't an option)"

So Yayow pretty much answered correctly. His suggestion is what I'm looking for. I'm just trying to fine tune his answer. I'm leaving from Puerto Plata, so the nagua or mountain road routes are not options. I'm not driving all the way back to Cabarete if I'm already in Puerto plata. The goal is to avoid the traffic in downtown Santo Domingo.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Is the sign clearly visible from the road?? Easy to miss?? Is it clearly marked?? Does it say "haina" or "circumnavigation of santo domingo" or "las Americas"??
    Yes it is, that is how I found it the first time, saw the sign and was curious, so I got on it. Figured if it wasn't any good, I could just turn around, but took it all the way to the end, and got off in villa mella santo domingo north. You do have to pay attention while on the highway to the signs, cause while heading to santo domingo north, there are other options that would take you more towards the center of the country. One day when I have nothing better to do, I will probably take one of the other directions to see where it takes me, I find that the best way to learn the country.

Coming south, just past Pedro Brand you will see a large sign, indicating circumnavigation of santo domingo, one direction to Haina, the other towards the east.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Unfortunately I can't fine tune my answer anymore than what I have already done. Only been on that highway twice, once in each direction. First time, just happened upon it, it wasn't even complete at that time, mostly followed my gut that time, as there weren't any signs, the road wasn't even complete in many sections. The second time I intended to use it, as I was already in North santo domingo and was headed to Sosua, didn't make sense to come back towards boca, before heading north.

I will say this, if my destination is to go to santiago, La Vega, Moca etc., or if I am already in the capital, this would be my preferred route in the future.

Going to Sosua, still will take the new highway into Nagua.

Going into pto pta, I am not sure, which route I would prefer, I just know for the most part I would do whatever I could to avoid the capital and the traffic you tend to find there.

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One thing to note is day of travel and time. On sundays santo domingo is ghost town, there is no traffic.

Traffic gets better after 7:30pm in the capital.

Not optimal times or days but it is still a option

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

the road infrastructure and transit system is excellent in the DR.......in Jamaica it sucks!

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    the road infrastructure and transit system is excellent in the DR.......in Jamaica it sucks!

...I've never been to Jamaica but I would say the road infrastructure here is a little less than excellent...lol

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

...I've never been to Jamaica but I would say the road infrastructure here is a little less than excellent...lol
    It works. You want to go from Sosua to the Capital, its no problem.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    It works. You want to go from Sosua to the Capital, its no problem.
    one of the things I really like about the current President, Medina. He has worked from day 1 to improve the infrastructure, something his predecessor only did during election years. Like what happened here, can't tell you how many times I visited an area since he been in office that was very difficult to navigate, and saw new construction going on, roads, highways, subways etc. Made traveling much better, plus put thousands to work on the various projects.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Many of the newer roads are excellent on par with similar roads in the US, of course the rural roads leave a lot to be desired. I guess it is all relative, I have been in the country long enough to remember what it was like just a few short years ago, and compared to now it is like night and day.

I used to dread traveling to the house in the mountains, it was very dangerous, slow moving by necessity, and would always take a toll on the car. Now although I don't go up there often, it has become, dare I say it, somewhat of a pleasant journey, for the majority of the trip. Still rough once you get past Ocoa, but then again, Rome wasn't built in a day. Plus I didn't come here for the roads, but the improvements are definitely a blessing.

The roads up there was improved now a few years, they were a priority because of the mining in the mountains, had to make them more accessible for the rigs.

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Stu

Hear is another example of the somewhat fast work they can do to get stuff in right before elections: A teleferico, modeled after the one in Medellin, Colombia I believe, is coming to Santo Domingo. I remember hearing about it a year ago, but did not think much of it. Heard about the environmental studies to be performed over the summer and now they have actually started construction now with an expected completion of summer 2016.

I know that will be photo ops of Medina riding the cable car in April along with pics of the metro extension as well, just before elections in May.

Here is a promo video of the Teleferico Santo Domingo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iACgM14m4FU

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tony Toca For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Tony, how you been? I have seen some foto ops of Medina with the subway, but I was unaware of this. Cool.

By the way sábana pérdida, lots of chicas there, real típico Dominican barrio, have a few contacts there, and getting more all the time! Have a Happy New Year, hope to see you soon.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information