Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12/2015 - Is there a way to get from Puerto Plata to Boca Chica

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Re: 12/2015 - Is there a way to get from Puerto Plata to Boca Chica

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toca View Post
    Stu

Hear is another example of the somewhat fast work they can do to get stuff in right before elections: A teleferico, modeled after the one in Medellin, Colombia I believe, is coming to Santo Domingo. I remember hearing about it a year ago, but did not think much of it. Heard about the environmental studies to be performed over the summer and now they have actually started construction now with an expected completion of summer 2016.

I know that will be photo ops of Medina riding the cable car in April along with pics of the metro extension as well, just before elections in May.

Here is a promo video of the Teleferico Santo Domingo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iACgM14m4FU
    Ignorant question, and I do mean ignorant: Is the terrain going up toward Sabana Perdida mountainous enough that a teleferico is the obvious rapid-transit solution? I haven't been into Santo Domingo proper, to see for myself; neither Google Maps nor Google Earth provide a terrain model, and I haven't got access to a topographic map ...

On edit, I've answered this for myself. The line crosses the Rio Ozama twice, and a "fly-over" cable line is an easier answer than bridges.

I was basing my "steep mountains" question on my little bit of experience in Medellin, when I rode up the "K" line from the Acevedo Metro station up to the Santo Domingo neighborhood. It's not only practical there, but it's pretty cool for a tourist.

Wonder how it's going to work out for Santo Domingo? Not everything I've seen would appear to favor it ...

Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Last edited by Westy; 12-31-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    one of the things I really like about the current President, Medina. He has worked from day 1 to improve the infrastructure, something his predecessor only did during election years. Like what happened here, can't tell you how many times I visited an area since he been in office that was very difficult to navigate, and saw new construction going on, roads, highways, subways etc. Made traveling much better, plus put thousands to work on the various projects.
    I ve been saying this for quite some time as well about Medina. And contrary to popular belief,the majority of the people employeed doing the construction are dominicans.
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Re: 11/2015 - Camaro’s Journal Part #2 -2015-2016 GREEN

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    The trip to Boca Chica was truly an adventure, all went well until I decided to take the Circunvalacion Santo Domingo. I found the Circunvaacion outside Pedro Brand on Hwy 1, but I went back and forth on the highway as well as the side streets trying to find the route around Santo Domingo but I was not successful. There are sections of the highway that my Google directions do not work and the route is not yet available on Google navigation, the chic kept telling me to go back to Hwy 1 which is what I was trying to avoid not wanting to go through down town traffic. The signage was not clear and after about an hour I just went the Hwy 1 route I knew. I talked to Yayow and he advised he will show me the next time I come back.
    So before I take it; I will wait for Yayow to show you and then hear back from the two of you about the experience.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Circunvalacion Santo Domingo

The trip to Boca Chica was truly an adventure, all went well until I decided to take the Circunvalacion Santo Domingo. I found the Circunvaacion outside Pedro Brand on Hwy 1, but I went back and forth on the highway as well as the side streets trying to find the route around Santo Domingo but I was not successful. If you head west you go toward San Cristobal and Haina and east is supposed to take you toward Santo Domingo.

There are 100 pesos toll booths on both the east and the west ends of the highway. It is a new highway with a very smooth ride but unfortunately the different routes were not marked well enough for me to follow.

There are sections of the highway that my Google directions do not work and the route is not yet available on Google navigation, the chic (Lady Google)kept telling me to go back to Hwy 1 which is what I was trying to avoid not wanting to go through down town traffic. The signage was not clear and after about an hour I just went the Hwy 1 route I knew.

I talked to Yayow once I arrived in Boca Chica and he advised he will show me the next time I come back.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

For the life of me I cannot understand why you guys are stressing over routes ? telefericos ? mountain passes ? google maps ? tolls ? ? ?

You can just take the Gua Gua and , sit back , relax , throw your feet up , enjoy the scenery . and leave all the stress of driving to a Dominican who is familiar with the routes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJL_YorvfhI

ooops ! never mind

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by ROVER; 01-21-2016 at 01:16 AM.
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    For the life of me I cannot understand why you guys are stressing over routes ? telefericos ? mountain passes ? google maps ? tolls ? ? ?

You can just take the Gua Gua and , sit back , relax , throw your feet up , enjoy the scenery . and leave all the stress of driving to a Dominican who is familiar with the routes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJL_YorvfhI

ooops ! never mind
    ...yeah but your stuck to a schedule riding with a bunch of strangers. I love the freedom of picking up and going whenever I want even if I GET LOST...lol!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

...yeah but your stuck to a schedule riding with a bunch of strangers. I love the freedom of picking up and going whenever I want even if I GET LOST...lol!
    Lost in DR............................

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I did have the opportunity to speak with Camaro, in regards to this route, not exactly sure why he had problems, as I stated I took the route by accident, with no signage at all, because at the time it was being constructed and I had little problems. If the opportunity arises, it will try and show it to him. Actually Camaro has taken this new highway before without incident, as he told me he took it in the opposite direction towards Haina on his trip to San Cristobal.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Yes. I can drive east on Hwy 5 from Puerto Plata through Sosua, Cabarette and Gasper Hernandez. On the outside of Naugua is the new highway south which is a toll road. It is a very comfortable ride less than 2 hours and it puts you out east of Santo Domingo and west of Boca Chica. The problem for me is that it adds about an hour to the trip because I have to drive to Nagua and then south.

That route is feasible if I am going to Boca Chica but makes no sense if I am going to San Cristobal which is west of Santo Domingo.
    I took this route this past weekend and it was smooth sailing just as you guys described. A very scenic route with minimal stress. Straight shot to boca chica. In fact, I will actually drive the extra distance from Puerto Plata if I don't have stops to make in Santiago, La Vega or Bonao. I loved the ocean views and also when you first enter the highway and you're driving right through the mountain. Just beautiful!!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information