Thread: 01/2016 - Planning a trip to DR

Thanks

01/2016 - Planning a trip to DR

Hi! I'm new and green - know very little about the DR, but I'm a single 52 yr old man, planning a trip there Feb 9 - 13. Would love some advice on the best destinations, low-cost guest-friendly lodging, etc. Looking forward to blogging!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jgg6163 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Re: Planning a trip to DR

welcome and if you are green sosua is perfect. start looking at the different threads and when you're ready go to the trip report section..... 100s or reports

Quote Originally Posted by jgg6163 View Post
    Hi! I'm new and green - know very little about the DR, but I'm a single 52 yr old man, planning a trip there Feb 9 - 13. Would love some advice on the best destinations, low-cost guest-friendly lodging, etc. Looking forward to blogging!
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

That's going to lead to many questions. My advice is to get access to the trip reports and start reading, ask questions on the threads when you find something that
    you want to understand better. Send JimmyDR a message, but he's on vacation now, so you may need to wait till he's back to give you access.

Welcome aboard, you came to the right place.
    We don't catch feelings, we catch flights.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts

I accept Google Wallet. Will be back on Thursday.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

hey basically you have to decide if you flight to puerto plata (near sosua) or to santodomingo. next step: rent a car and thats it! enjoy live in DR

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swiss monger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swiss monger View Post
    hey basically you have to decide if you flight to puerto plata (near sosua) or to santodomingo. next step: rent a car and thats it! enjoy live in DR

ummm......just.......wow!

OP, you've been given some good advice........but not in this post!! Buy yourself a subscription to Trip Reports. You will absolutely without a doubt save 3 to 4 times the cost of the subscription with advice you will be receive there. After reading some reports, that will give you an idea on how to then ask questions.

But this advice........

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Recommend you do not rent a car for a 5-day trip. Plenty in Sosua to keep you amused and a car is a hindrance, not a help, there.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,255 Times in 459 Posts

Welcome...and if you are humble and willing to take constructive advice from those who will not stir you the wrong place....ur in the right environment.

I for the most part am just as "green" as you and came back from my first trip from DR last November (2015)...

Coming from someone who completely understands your position....

I "second" you going to Sousa..to get your feet wet. And I fully DO NOT support you needing to rent a car.. Unnecessary expense, especially if you decide to go to Sousa...everything is in walking distance...

Sign up for trip report access....truly invaluable information...and once you touch down, you are bound to meet up with a few board members....

When in doubt...ask...no such thing as stupid question...but a respective one gets annoying if you choose to be lazy and NOT use the resources in front of you and read a little bit.

Read....ask for help...take a trip....the rest will fall in place.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NiteStallion876 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

I think that where to go in the D.R. would be better determined by what the OP is going to the D.R. for (besides Punani).

I agree that renting a car on the 1st trip could end up ruining the trip unless the purpose of the trip is touring and even then there aren't too many places one can't get to less expensively and less dangerously by bus.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thread Information