Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 07/2016 - Blue Moon Restaurant

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

07/2016 - Blue Moon Restaurant

A couple of weeks ago I was telling Irie about an East Indian/Dominican fusion restaurant I had been to, called the Blue Moon Restaurant (or Retreat). He had not heard of it so I thought I would throw this up.

http://www.bluemoonretreat.net/

To get there from Sosua or Cabarete, you drive east and south to Sabaneta de Yasica, and turn west and south at the major intersection, towards Jamao el Norte and El Cumbre. I think that is Highway 21. Shortly after passing over the bridge that crosses Rio Yasica, you enter the hamlet of La Mina, and then as the road climbs you will see their entrance sign on the left of the highway. I am guessing it is about 5 miles/8 km from Sabaneta de Yasica.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks

Re: Blue Moon Restaurant

You should phone for reservations, as they often have retreats booked and then there is no space for other people. It is a fixed menu, served in a dining hall under a thatched roof, in a common room where the dinner guests sit or lounge on cushions, eating off of banana leaves placed in front of them. No cutlery or dishes other than the serving dishes), you eat in the Indian fashion, with your fingers, right hand only. Cost is about $800 pesos per person as I remember, with drinks extra.

If you do go, get there a bit early, like 6 PM if dinner is at 7 PM, as the front half of the dining room has low backed walls that you can lean on, if you get there late and are left with the cushions at the end of the hall, you better be good at sitting cross-legged for a couple of hours!

I don't imagine there would be too many chicas who would like the food, as it does have a lot of Indian flavouring and spice. You would need to take an adventurous spirit and possibly one that can hold her own in what would probably be very middle class tourist company.

Getting there early is nice anyway, as they have very nice grounds and a funky bar and artwork. Also a pool if you are so inclined. I never used it.

the pool

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 07/2016 - Blue Moon Restaurant

the grounds

some artwork on the side of a building

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

the bar

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A clean kitchen

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The dining hall. Take the seats to the left or to the right, and try not to get the seats in the middle at the end. Remove shoes when entering, so don't forget that pedicure!

The first time I was there I had the cushions in the middle at the end, so I know of what I speak

Last edited by ezsmile; 07-17-2016 at 11:40 AM.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You start off with a little bit of instruction on how to roll up a ball of rice with some food by only using one hand and then managing to get it in your mouth

First dish was some pakoras with various sauces

Last edited by ezsmile; 07-17-2016 at 11:40 AM.

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The main course is some chicken and vegetarian dishes , basmati rice, and the sauces

You can eat until you are full

I think maybe there was rice pudding for desert and then chai or coffee to drink. Or maybe no rice pudding, I cannot remember and I have no pics of that.

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

all in all it makes a fun evening, great for a getaway from Sosua and pizza if you happen to get tired of that! Even better if you can find a chica that you can take who would like the food and experience.

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,125 Times in 3,033 Posts

I have seen that place pop up in my google searches but never been there. Except for ex-pats, I am surprised they do a lot of business given the various spices that the locals are not used to. Maybe thats part of the curiosity factor that gets people there. Thanks for the thread!!

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CentralNJDude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    the grounds

Click to see pic
    Wow. What a view!

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,004 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CentralNJDude View Post
    I have seen that place pop up in my google searches but never been there. Except for ex-pats, I am surprised they do a lot of business given the various spices that the locals are not used to. Maybe thats part of the curiosity factor that gets people there. Thanks for the thread!!
    I have east indian heritage and still cant stomach those spices...
    If you don't do it, someone else will!

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MH16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 205 Posts

Great post EZ!! Food looks terrific. The 45 minute drive from Sosua is easy. Thanks!

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to captain69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captain69 View Post
    Great post EZ!! Food looks terrific. The 45 minute drive from Sosua is easy. Thanks!
    yeah nice post ez

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captain69 View Post
    you're welcome! the drive is more like 30 minutes from Sosua, and 40-45 from POP airport. Depending on traffic and cows of course. I have taken non-monger friends twice, and since we were a group we used a taxi, that way we could all have a drink or two. Or three
    Last edited by ezsmile; 07-13-2016 at 04:19 PM.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CentralNJDude View Post
    yeah I don't think they get many Dominicans, pretty much all tourists with some expats thrown in.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Great review Ezsmile and thanks for the info. I'm going to have to make my way up there someday......maybe upon you're imminent return.
    Vida es buena....

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Nice. I've driven past a million times, and have never stopped. Couldn't do that crossed legs sitting though.

Is it just a restaurant, or do they have rooms too?

There's a couple of other "non local" looking places along that route, but never curious enough to stop.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I was telling Irie about an East Indian/Dominican fusion restaurant I had been to, called the Blue Moon Restaurant (or Retreat). He had not heard of it so I thought I would throw this up.

http://www.bluemoonretreat.net/

To get there from Sosua or Cabarete, you drive east and south to Sabaneta de Yasica, and turn west and south at the major intersection, towards Jamao el Norte and El Cumbre. I think that is Highway 21. Shortly after passing over the bridge that crosses Rio Yasica, you enter the hamlet of La Mina, and then as the road climbs you will see their entrance sign on the left of the highway. I am guessing it is about 5 miles/8 km from Sabaneta de Yasica.

Click to see pic
    Is this the turn off for the mountain road going to Moca and Santiago? Cruce de Sabaneta?

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Nice. I've driven past a million times, and have never stopped. Couldn't do that crossed legs sitting though.

Is it just a restaurant, or do they have rooms too?

There's a couple of other "non local" looking places along that route, but never curious enough to stop.
    They have some bungalows, I did not go look at them. Their website says there are 4 bungalows with 2 apartments each (no kitchen I believe).

The crossed legs sitting is a definitely a drawback for some; they also have a dining room table in an adjoining room for those that want to skip that. It overlooks and is open to the main hall. My second visit there one person used it, he looked kind of lonely sitting there all by himself.

Last edited by ezsmile; 07-17-2016 at 11:38 AM.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information