Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08/2016 - How to Get a Voucher for Missed Connection

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

08/2016 - How to Get a Voucher for Missed Connection

Coming home from POP recently I missed my connection in MIA, but was able to catch the last flight of the night. They don't make it easy to get from POP to Orlando.

Now I'm looking at schedules that would have me returning the week of Thanksgiving. Some flights have a short window to make the connecting flight and the next flight is the next day. The question is, if I miss a connection and have to wait til the next day to fly, would I probably get a voucher for a future flight? American Airlines
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: 08/2016 - How to Get a Voucher for Missed Connection

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    Coming home from POP recently I missed my connection in MIA, but was able to catch the last flight of the night. They don't make it easy to get from POP to Orlando.

Now I'm looking at schedules that would have me returning the week of Thanksgiving. Some flights have a short window to make the connecting flight and the next flight is the next day. The question is, if I miss a connection and have to wait til the next day to fly, would I probably get a voucher for a future flight? American Airlines
    You won't get another voucher but you will get a hotel, transportation and meals.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    You won't get another voucher but you will get a hotel, transportation and meals.

?????????????? I always thought that it was the fliers responsibility to get to the gate on time and if you were held up in security lines/secondary checks etc all they were required to do was get you on the next available flight
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    ?????????????? I always thought that it was the fliers responsibility to get to the gate on time and if you were held up in security lines/secondary checks etc all they were required to do was get you on the next available flight
    The airlines MUST make sure you have enough time to get from one flight to the next.

If the next flight is tomorrow, they have to put you in a hotel.

a few times I bought connecting flights and questioned the short time in between and they said no problem.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

In April there was a massive clusterfuck in Florida and spirit held all flights for 30 minutes or half the people would have missed their flights.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,125 Times in 3,033 Posts

A lot depends on the first leg of the flight; if its delayed due to a reason that can be legally deemed as the airline's fault, then a case can be made for the hotel, transportation and food vouchers. If its weather related, am not sure if the same rules apply..

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CentralNJDude For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    The airlines MUST make sure you have enough time to get from one flight to the next.

If the next flight is tomorrow, they have to put you in a hotel.

a few times I bought connecting flights and questioned the short time in between and they said no problem.
    the few times I was held up getting thru security all they said was if you miss the plane they will get you another ride.................. but I was lucky ( or unlucky )to always get a plane within a few hours

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CentralNJDude View Post
    A lot depends on the first leg of the flight; if its delayed due to a reason that can be legally deemed as the airline's fault, then a case can be made for the hotel, transportation and food vouchers. If its weather related, am not sure if the same rules apply..
    with united they were great with giving out a lot of ff miles or a travel voucher when we got delayed because of weather

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    the few times I was held up getting thru security all they said was if you miss the plane they will get you another ride.................. but I was lucky ( or unlucky )to always get a plane within a few hours
    It depends on what goes down.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Storms will get you much less.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 1,597 Posts

On my flight to Manila the United leg left Houston over an hour late. United held the plane in Hawaii for over an hour and rushed about 40 of us through the airport so that no one missed the 2nd leg of the flight to Manila.
    Last edited by Happyhorn; 08-30-2016 at 08:51 PM.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Happyhorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Couple of years ago (March 2014), I was held up overnight in MIA on my way home, when the DC/Baltimore region was getting dumped on by a snowstorm. American Airlines didn't pay bupkus for my stay in Miami, and the next day they flew me home on a succession of American Eagle commuter-planes. A true fuster-cluck.

OTOH, the first time I went down to Paraguay, they had mechanical problems on the plane from Sao Paulo to Asuncion that required flying in parts from elsewhere. The airline put us up at the Marriott and covered dinner and breakfast. (That may have been American, too.)
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

If it is AA's fault, they will give you a voucher. But if it's anything not their direct fault (late plane, mechanical issues, etc.), you ain't getting shit but a ride home later. If you have to stay overnight and it's not their fault, you're eating the price of the hotel.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My flight from POP last trip was 40 min late leaving and even if it did leave at the scheduled time, it took so long to get through customs, I still would have missed my connection. I just barely made the last flight of the night. Wasn't expecting a voucher for that, but had I been forced to wait til the next morning, I would have expected a voucher.

Many of AA's flights over the coming months have either a really tight connection window or an overnight layover. I'm undecided my next move whether back to BC or Sosua, but thinking seriously about those damn connect flights.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    My flight from POP last trip was 40 min late leaving and even if it did leave at the scheduled time, it took so long to get through customs, I still would have missed my connection. I just barely made the last flight of the night. Wasn't expecting a voucher for that, but had I been forced to wait til the next morning, I would have expected a voucher.

Many of AA's flights over the coming months have either a really tight connection window or an overnight layover. I'm undecided my next move whether back to BC or Sosua, but thinking seriously about those damn connect flights.
    I've noticed on AA that most of the flights from DTW are an overnight layover.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

I would a) check your CC and/or insurance policy, you may get reimbursed for incurred expenses and b) call AA Customer Care and kindly ask for a voucher; sometimes they are very accommodative over the phone.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    I would a) check your CC and/or insurance policy, you may get reimbursed for incurred expenses and b) call AA Customer Care and kindly ask for a voucher; sometimes they are very accommodative over the phone.
    I'm thinking about the next flight--just in case was my point. Everything worked out--just got home two hours or so later than the original plan on my last flight.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Global entry... No wait for customs.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

AA is usually pretty good if it's their fault. Flew home from MCO a few days ago with a connection in DCA. The co-pilots seat broke causing an hour and a half delay. I sent a short E mail complaint to AA and they credited my advantage account with 5,000 miles.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting American Airlines.

Although only a small percentage of our flights are delayed or canceled, we can understand how your recent experiences would cause you to question our dependability. We are sorry you have been inconvenienced and can appreciate how frustrating the events you described were.

Please accept as a concrete form of apology, 5,000 bonus miles have been credited to your AAdvantage® account. This mileage adjustment should appear in your account very soon. You can use mileage to claim awards for travel. We are eager to demonstrate the reliable, quality service you expect and we want to deliver.

Mr. XXXXXXX, we value your long-standing loyalty and support and are eager to continue the relationship we have enjoyed over the years. Please be assured we are all working hard to provide the high quality service you have every right to expect when traveling on American.

39. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

5,000 miles ain't shit in this day and age.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information