Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: 10/2016 - Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Re: , wiping prior Re: 10/2016 - Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    You want to fly someplace, we have 10,000 airports.

You want to drive someplace, tons of roads.

Breakdown, call a tow truck, anytime, anyplace.

Get sick, flash your medical card.

on and on and on
    Yep, miss the convenience of organization and infrastructure sometimes. But, the Colombian medical care is pretty good here. Flash your cedula, and you get medical attention, but the system of referral and getting "specialty" drugs out of your EPS require more paper-shuffling than in the States. Even the people on SISBEN, the charity care program, get decent care including drugs and durable equipment. Colombia has a pretty decent network of airports. The national airlines provide inexpensive comprehensive coverage of the interior. When Colombia was totally dominated by the FARC, ELN, AUC, et al a few years back, it was impossible to travel by ground without running into problems. Out of necessity, Colombia developed an affordable air travel network with a lot of help from the government. The highway network in Colombia is limited by its topography. The national highway system is mostly two-lane highways that are not even the quality of the pre-US Interstate national highways (think county roads). Slowly but surely, new highways are being built in order to make the country competitive in terms of commerce and trade. National highways are concessions operated and maintained by private enterprises (many of which are foreign owned.) I've got a pretty good roadside service program with my supplemental insurace program underwritten by AIG.
    Blue Devil

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Re: , wiping prior Re: 10/2016 - Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    You want to fly someplace, we have 10,000 airports.
    Just to pick on you and tease you about this, Jimmy, when was the last time you went to an airport with less than a 10,000-foot runway, control tower, radar, and a big terminal that you couldn't enter without going through body-scanners and X-ray machines?

For example, an airport like this one:

I've got 10,000 airports, or I did when I was an active pilot. You've got about 400.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Just to pick on you and tease you about this, Jimmy, when was the last time you went to an airport with less than a 10,000-foot runway, control tower, radar, and a big terminal that you couldn't enter without going through body-scanners and X-ray machines?

For example, an airport like this one:

Click to see pic

I've got 10,000 airports, or I did when I was an active pilot. You've got about 400.
    Vancouver Island, & Portland Maine.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information