Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10/2016 - Expats That Succeed

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: 10/2016 - Expats That Succeed

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    To go on ... what constitutes success, for an expat?

You are at home in the States and Bobby lives in Sosua with a bar he opened last year.

Yayow is tossing a party this Saturday so you decide that you will fly in for a week.

Bobby can't because he works 7 days 12 hours a day in Sosua.

Who really is the success?

A - Yayow on Pension in Boca
    B - westy on Pension in States
    C - Bobby working in Sosua

You can pick 1 or 2 or 3 if you like

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    What would downrange be?
    OCONUS, or the "operations area" ... I borrow that from my former employer ....

Like the "beachhead" for our Invasions.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Re: 10/2016 - Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?

He found his place and one day, you will as well. The search is part of the adventure.

I have a long way to go but I am enjoying the ride.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    Click to see pic

And if you never find it, so its one long adventure that you enjoyed

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

What is the meaning of success? Success for me means being happy, and being able to do as little (or as much) as I want to do with no constraints of time or demands. I've lived in Colombia for 5 years, and pretty much achieved that standard. If I had to earn a living here, I probably would not be here. A number of ex-pats have come to Colombia, with the idea of starting a business. Even with a lot of hard work and commitment, few seem to make it. Some of the retired ex-pats (eg with pensions or annuities) I've met here are bored and lead lives that are like a rudderless ship. Others, who prided themselves on their mongering exploits, have found a paisa novia or wife, and are now "settled down." The ex-pat enclave in my pueblo are a pretty good bunch of guys who watch out for each other. I am among the youngest ex-pats living here, and I would say the median age of this group is around 70. We have a few assholes here, but most are OK... but not without their quirks.

Other than my 4 years in high school, my retirement years have been the happiest time in my life. I've been married to a paisa for over 6 years (Some of you know her well). We have an active social life here, and do a lot of traveling with our friends and the family. My wife is active in real estate which keeps her busy (and usually keeps me busy, too) Those who told me that "You will get bored in retirement" are full of shit. I love retirement!
    Blue Devil

Thanks

You are at home in the States and Bobby lives in Sosua with a bar he opened last year.

Yayow is tossing a party this Saturday so you decide that you will fly in for a week.

Yayow, definitely, in my book.
    Bobby, maybe -- if he's making coin and not bleeding out his bankroll.
    Westy isn't an expat. (Not yet.)

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yayow, definitely, in my book.
    Bobby, maybe -- if he's making coin and not bleeding out his bankroll.
    Westy isn't an expat. (Not yet.)
    Westy has the option of checking out the entire world before picking.

bobby has no free time or coin.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    What is the meaning of success? Success for me means being happy, and being able to do as little (or as much) as I want to do with no constraints of time or demands. I've lived in Colombia for 5 years, and pretty much achieved that standard. If I had to earn a living here, I probably would not be here. A number of ex-pats have come to Colombia, with the idea of starting a business. Even with a lot of hard work and commitment, few seem to make it. Some of the retired ex-pats (eg with pensions or annuities) I've met here are bored and lead lives that are like a rudderless ship. Others, who prided themselves on their mongering exploits, have found a paisa novia or wife, and are now "settled down." The ex-pat enclave in my pueblo are a pretty good bunch of guys who watch out for each other. I am among the youngest ex-pats living here, and I would say the median age of this group is around 70. We have a few assholes here, but most are OK... but not without their quirks.

Is there some Hotels there? Might stop by during my month in Meddy in 2017.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Click to see pic

Can't resist that quote from the Grateful Dead ...

I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlMjdwb6HY0

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Is there some Hotels there? Might stop by during my month in Meddy in 2017.
    Yeah, you should. There are two small hotels in town "en el parque." That C&W you saw in my FB last night is the best one I've ever visited. It's just down the road from us. Plenty of pretty pueblo girls, and Medellin women who come here to "parranda."

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah, you should. There are two small hotels in town "en el parque." That C&W you saw in my FB last night is the best one I've ever visited. It's just down the road from us. Plenty of pretty pueblo girls, and Medellin women who come here to "parranda."
    We will talk more and i will be there during my 6 week trip in 2017.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Other than my 4 years in high school, my retirement years have been the happiest time in my life. I've been married to a paisa for over 6 years (Some of you know her well). We have an active social life here, and do a lot of traveling with our friends and the family. My wife is active in real estate which keeps her busy (and usually keeps me busy, too) Those who told me that "You will get bored in retirement" are full of shit. I love retirement!
    I will definitely sign on with your definition of success!

When and if I make the big move, my new life is likely to be radically different from yours ... I may even try to fit that new life into a sailboat, cruising through the Islands, mon. But I won't be bored or "rudderless," living in "Paradise," any more than I am living here at home.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

And if you never find it, so its one long adventure that you enjoyed
    I think this is the whole point. As long as the ex-patriot feels it was worth his time, effort and money then who can argue with his "success"? Like with any major move, how, where and when play crucial roles in the decision. Financing is probable the primary concern and in most of the places folks choose to relocate to their spending power and lifestyle is important. Once that has been determined (easily done for most US retirees) the where becomes equally important. There are guys who retired to the P.I. who would hate living in the D.R. and vice versa. The culture of a place has to match the personality of the ex-pat. Who wants to make a major move, settle in and think "I really don't like this place all that much". That is probably where I would fail. I've fallen in and out of love with enough destinations over the years to understand the imperative that I keep a short term lease and bags packed.

For instance, the year that I took my 1st trip to the D.R. it was the result of me and a couple friends hanging around our townhouse in Sint Maarten, entertaining a group of fantastic Dominicanas and coming up with the collective logic of "Hey, we really like peaches, we should probably take a trip to the orchard". So we booked a trip to the D.R. and as soon as we got back we booked the next trip and so it went with us turning our backs on Sint Maarten to get more time in the D.R. and there were 10 trips just in the 1st two years. That's what I call falling in live with a place. As the years passed we'd cheat on our new found love a little, taking a trip a year to some other destination and then I realized that I was taking fewer trips to the D.R. with my buddies and venturing out on my own more often. After the 1st Negril invasion I came home and booked the next two trips there for 6 and 10 weeks out. The Dominican Republic had lost her grip on me for the most part, I still went on every 2nd or 3rd trip but it just wasn't the same for me and still isn't. I also changed my travel patterns when in the country, opting for Boca Chica rather than the Capital because it's easier there to just do nothing some days whereas in Santo Domingo I was ripping and running non-stop. A Man's got to know his limits.

I haven't been back to the D.R. since the July 2015 invasion which I enjoyed, especially spending a little time with old friends and new. Nowadays I'll go to a place like El Batey and where I would run around with my tongue wagging years ago I just kind of try to find something I like and get the Hell out of there. Since that trip I've been back to Negril twice just to change flavors but it was the September 2015 trip to Kenya that stoked the flames and I've returned twice since. New love! This pattern leads me to believe that I would be unhappy as an ex-pat no matter where I went. Not to be able to get on I-95 on a whim and take my grand kids fishing on the weekend or get together with my Kids for a spur of the moment dinner date would suck for me. Then I'd be on the beach in Shanzu looking at a trip to Mumbai or Vietnam. I wouldn't be a Man with two countries, I'd be stateless. So when I see Guys going for the ex-patriot lifestyle and finding their groove I am happy for them but with the caviat: "Don't try this at home, boys and girls." Like I said, a Man's got to know his limits.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    I think this is the whole point. As long as the ex-patriot feels it was worth his time, effort and money then who can argue with his "success"? ...

...So when I see Guys going for the ex-patriot lifestyle and finding their groove I am happy for them but with the caviat: "Don't try this at home, boys and girls." Like I said, a Man's got to know his limits.
    Well-said, sir, and completely inarguable, because that's about your life. The guy who's living out there, and loving it -- that's about his life. The only time the two spheres overlap are when you visit his town, or vice-versa.

I'm looking at expatriation as an alluring, but uncertain, possibility; so it's wise of me to consider your argument, your perspective. But your situation is different (Grandkids? I've got no kids!) and I have lived way within my potential limits (lived my entire life in the D.C. suburbs, and my longest trips away from home have been, like, three weeks). So rather than "I've got to know my limits," I'm more in the position of "I haven't found my limits." The lure of the expat experience has been lodged in me since I looked around the harbor of Piriapolis, Uruguay, and speculated, how would it be to live here? And I've asked myself the same question in a few other far-away places with strange-sounding names, since that day.

Still, I am prudent (or timid) enough that I want a lifeline back to the old-and-familiar, when I'm ready to go test my limits. I'm definitely not ready to sell/give-away/trash everything that won't fit in two big suitcases, or even a good-sized sailboat, and run away from home for good. That's not going to happen for a while ... if ever. But I may be taking longer trips, in the fairly-near future, long enough to get a feel for the expat life.

That promises to be the next step of my own "long adventure."

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You know, we have room here for D - Grumpy on pension in Sosua, putting up with his wife griping about the working girls on the beach.

Now THERE's the Biggest Loser.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You know, we have room here for D - Grumpy on pension in Sosua, putting up with his wife griping about the working girls on the beach.

Now THERE's the Biggest Loser.
    I never met any of those guys.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I never met any of those guys.
    Maybe not in Sosua, but haven't you been talking about them in your workplace?

They're out there ....

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Maybe not in Sosua, but haven't you been talking about them in your workplace?

They're out there ....
    You said grumpy in Sosua??

They were dump enough to bring a wife, too bad for them.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

EXCELLENT point as I cannot compare to Yayow!

Not so, but thanks!

You know I enjoy the way Cam, does his thing, and I learn stuff from him, as we bounce things off each other; he is a bit more conservative then I am in regards to how he mongers, but that has more to do with our different personalities than anything else. We both tend to go hard, but a bit differently, that is why I like to tweak him on occasion. But being a little more analytical as he is, is not a bad thing, and I realize that. I tend to be more, damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead with my mongering technique, where he happens to be more, let's hold on a second, and see what's, what. His will keep you out of unnecessary bullshit, but I am good with bullshit, keeps it interesting for me.

Reminds me of my early Santo domingo forays with prtyr2, good man, spent a lot of time showing me the ropes in santo domingo, he has retired from mongering now, has a beautiful and lovely wife, they seem very happy together, and travel the world together. He actually is an example of a monger/ ex-monger that gets it, knew all the spots in his day, had many lovely women along the way, then found the right one, they were friends first, then it blossomed into what it is now, I know this cause I was there when they first got together, and we talked about all kinds of things back then. Found a sweet and decent girl, not involved in the game at all, and they built a life together, simply excellent!

He is an example that it can be done!

Just don't know if I can do it, at least at this time in my life, but who knows
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

36. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

To go on ... what constitutes success, for an expat?

Again, we know a few who set up in business in their new land, and made a very good go of it. I've already named a couple; we have others, right here on the board. There are also those who set up a successful business, ran it for years, then sold it off and actually retired ... and are still living downrange, and enjoying their life. Very cool, indeed!

How about the retiree, the pensioner, who moves offshore for the sake of having a better life on their retirement income? What rates our "success" label better -- the guys who "go native" and assimilate more-or-less into the local culture, or the ones who trade up from a trailer-park in Florida to a nice house in a gated community in "the Islands," or Mexico, Central America, South America, the Philippines, Thailand...?

And do we take off points for living downrange, but spending a lot of time bitching about it?

Excellent points made in this and the preceding post of yours. Success is differently defined by different people, and different goals and desires. That is what I was thinking, exactly what makes you a success? I don't know. By what I want in my life, I am very happy, which is my goal, so for me, in my mind I am successful, someone else looking at my life maybe not so much.

I think what makes you successful is when you can look in that mirror and have a smile on your face, having said that; are there more things I want to accomplish, more things I want to experience? Of course there are, after all I am not dead so there will always be other things, but for right now, I am cool. Not guaranteed to always be that way, but for now that is good!

I try to live in the present, past is gone nothing I can do about that, future hasn't got here yet, so don't know what the challenges of that are, but hopefully my present, and my past will allow me to deal with those challenges no matter what they may be.

38. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information