Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10/2016 - Expats That Succeed

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Re: 10/2016 - Expats That Succeed

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    What is the meaning of success? Success for me means being happy, and being able to do as little (or as much) as I want to do with no constraints of time or demands. I've lived in Colombia for 5 years, and pretty much achieved that standard. If I had to earn a living here, I probably would not be here. A number of ex-pats have come to Colombia, with the idea of starting a business. Even with a lot of hard work and commitment, few seem to make it. Some of the retired ex-pats (eg with pensions or annuities) I've met here are bored and lead lives that are like a rudderless ship. Others, who prided themselves on their mongering exploits, have found a paisa novia or wife, and are now "settled down." The ex-pat enclave in my pueblo are a pretty good bunch of guys who watch out for each other. I am among the youngest ex-pats living here, and I would say the median age of this group is around 70. We have a few assholes here, but most are OK... but not without their quirks.

Other than my 4 years in high school, my retirement years have been the happiest time in my life. I've been married to a paisa for over 6 years (Some of you know her well). We have an active social life here, and do a lot of traveling with our friends and the family. My wife is active in real estate which keeps her busy (and usually keeps me busy, too) Those who told me that "You will get bored in retirement" are full of shit. I love retirement!

Thank you, excellent post!
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Well-said, sir, and completely inarguable, because that's about your life. The guy who's living out there, and loving it -- that's about his life. The only time the two spheres overlap are when you visit his town, or vice-versa.

I'm looking at expatriation as an alluring, but uncertain, possibility; so it's wise of me to consider your argument, your perspective. But your situation is different (Grandkids? I've got no kids!) and I have lived way within my potential limits (lived my entire life in the D.C. suburbs, and my longest trips away from home have been, like, three weeks). So rather than "I've got to know my limits," I'm more in the position of "I haven't found my limits." The lure of the expat experience has been lodged in me since I looked around the harbor of Piriapolis, Uruguay, and speculated, how would it be to live here? And I've asked myself the same question in a few other far-away places with strange-sounding names, since that day.

Still, I am prudent (or timid) enough that I want a lifeline back to the old-and-familiar, when I'm ready to go test my limits. I'm definitely not ready to sell/give-away/trash everything that won't fit in two big suitcases, or even a good-sized sailboat, and run away from home for good. That's not going to happen for a while ... if ever. But I may be taking longer trips, in the fairly-near future, long enough to get a feel for the expat life.

That promises to be the next step of my own "long adventure."
    Interesting and good point about the life line, and I understand it fully. I originally planned to have a life line, Indianapolis living not far from my aunt, half time there and half in the DR, kind of wading into the water up to my waist. But once I got there, realizing for me, my personality that wasn't for me, I had to dive in full bore, no other way for me to do it.

Lucky I guess so far it has worked for me, but understand the other way.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

You mean there are guys that spent no money on any chicas while in country?

They are the most successful of all of them.

‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post

Click to see pic
    I traveled to Santo Domingo with my Son a few years ago and he ran through Chicas faster than he could count them. He even got the receptionist to pay for the Cabana she took him to without spending a dime. A young Guy in his 20's, paying for Pum-Pum is strictly optional in the D.R. as there's a much higher possibility of hitting the Gringo Lotto.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: 10/2016 - Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    Reminds me of my early Santo domingo forays with prtyr2, good man, spent a lot of time showing me the ropes in santo domingo, he has retired from mongering now, has a beautiful and lovely wife, they seem very happy together, and travel the world together. He actually is an example of a monger/ ex-monger that gets it, knew all the spots in his day, had many lovely women along the way, then found the right one, they were friends first, then it blossomed into what it is now, I know this cause I was there when they first got together, and we talked about all kinds of things back then. Found a sweet and decent girl, not involved in the game at all, and they built a life together, simply excellent!

He is an example that it can be done!

Just don't know if I can do it, at least at this time in my life, but who knows
    Partyr2. Now there's a name we haven't heard in awhile.He was like the 3rd ISOCer I met in person. There's an example of a young(ish) guy with a great job in a great field working for a U.S. company overseas and finding his watermark. As he was settling into his relationship a bunch of guys who are long gone gave him the blues about it, electing him "Ho shop steward". All that shit about the kinder, gentler days of ISOC is a myth. When I 1st started reading this board it was like a frat hazing around here. I'm glad to hear that he's doing well and still happy with his decision.

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Laughing Re: 10/2016 - Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Partyr2. Now there's a name we haven't heard in awhile.He was like the 3rd ISOCer I met in person. There's an example of a young(ish) guy with a great job in a great field working for a U.S. company overseas and finding his watermark. As he was settling into his relationship a bunch of guys who are long gone gave him the blues about it, electing him "Ho shop steward". All that shit about the kinder, gentler days of ISOC is a myth. When I 1st started reading this board it was like a frat hazing around here. .....
    Yeah it is a myth, ISOC was anything but kinder and gentler back in the day. There were a lot of different personalities that set each other off, at a moments notice. Those were the days, when the Michael Jackson gif, from thriller where he was eating his popcorn waiting for things to pop off, was a regular sight on the site. I actually was involved in a few of those. There were more than one occasion, when I would read something and before I responded, I would go for a swim, then come back to respond, the problem with that was by the time I got back there was more shit written. Lot of flame throwing back in the day.... kept the mods busy, they must be bored now

Plus back then when I made a post at 3 or 4 am, it was after a night of drinking, or after a combination of drinking and fucking, so I was in a rare mood. Hardly ever get in those moods anymore, or if I do tend to stay away from the computer.

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Re: 10/2016 - Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?

Yeah it is a myth, ISOC was anything but kinder and gentler back in the day. There were a lot of different personalities that set each other off, at a moments notice. Those were the days, when the Michael Jackson gif, from thriller where he was eating his popcorn waiting for things to pop off, was a regular sight on the site. I actually was involved in a few of those. There were more than one occasion, when I would read something and before I responded, I would go for a swim, then come back to respond, the problem with that was by the time I got back there was more shit written. Lot of flame throwing back in the day.... kept the mods busy, they must be bored now
    300 post days with one guy leaving the site, for a while., sometimes banned sometimes just angry.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Interesting and good point about the life line, and I understand it fully. I originally planned to have a life line, Indianapolis living not far from my aunt, half time there and half in the DR, kind of wading into the water up to my waist. But once I got there, realizing for me, my personality that wasn't for me, I had to dive in full bore, no other way for me to do it.

Lucky I guess so far it has worked for me, but understand the other way.
    Indianapolis you say

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Indianapolis you say
    Long story... but no doubt Indianapolis would never had been for me.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

I think what makes you successful is when you can look in that mirror and have a smile on your face, having said that; are there more things I want to accomplish, more things I want to experience? Of course there are, after all I am not dead so there will always be other things, but for right now, I am cool. Not guaranteed to always be that way, but for now that is good!
    I can go with that. The past is made up of memories, and maybe "stuff" you picked up along the way ... the future is uncertain, we really aren't guaranteed the next sunrise ... what we have is the here-and-now. And frankly, from what I hear from and observe in others -- and what I've experienced in my own past -- if you're living a life that brings a smile to your face, you're doing well, no questions asked.

Well -- the sun is bright and it's a bit breezy, but the Bay forecast looks good. Might be a good time for me to get offline, and out on the boat.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Long story... but no doubt Indianapolis would never had been for me.
    Not for anyone

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post

I think Questner might be on to something ... no, not up there, in his quote; down below, in his picture.

Two signals of success here - (1) being comfortable where you are, and (2) that fat-cat style.

I'm only partly kidding.

First, if you're comfortable with yourself, where you are, as you are, that is worth more than riches or fame. No, I'm not dissing riches, or fame, or the ambition that drives people to strive for them. "Success" is a measure of achievement, yes ... but there are other measures of "success" than how much moolah you've got piled up in the bank, or how many people know your face, or whether the Joneses are struggling to keep up with you. Could you really say your life is "successful" if you're still driven by discontent?

My perspective may be different from yours, of course -- I'm retired, I've done my time on the silver treadmill. I have no debt, I've paid off my house, and I paid cash for my car and my boat. My pension covers the necessities as well as some modest luxuries, with enough more to pay for some occasional excitement (for example, my travels abroad). I am content with my life, and I count that as success.

Second - "that fat-cat style." To me, a big advantage to living the expat life -- especially in the destinations we visit, living the Monger Life -- is the fact that we can "live large" in the local economy, and we have the leisure to do it. This is REALLY nice if you're retired, and it's the biggest thing International Living is selling to its reader-base -- the gracious-living aspect of the expat lifestyle, such as renting a nice home in a gated community for about what you were spending on property taxes, utilities and condo-fees back in the States. As BlueDevil put it, the leverage you can get for your Yankee-Dollah (or Sterling, or Euro) pension is pretty remarkable in Medellin, or Sosua, or Negril, or Pattaya; and it is considerably cheaper to live the expat life, in these and other destinations, than it is to visit as a tourist. So you can be something of a "fat cat" -- in fact, as a gringo, you can scarcely avoid it!
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Last edited by Westy; 10-08-2016 at 06:52 PM.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post

Second - "that fat-cat style." To me, a big advantage to living the expat life -- especially in the destinations we visit, living the Monger Life -- is the fact that we can "live large" in the local economy, and we have the leisure to do it. This is REALLY nice if you're retired, and it's the biggest thing International Living is selling to its reader-base -- the gracious-living aspect of the expat lifestyle, such as renting a nice home in a gated community for about what you were spending on property taxes, utilities and condo-fees back in the States. As BlueDevil put it, the leverage you can get for your Yankee-Dollah (or Sterling, or Euro) pension is pretty remarkable in Medellin, or Sosua, or Negril, or Pattaya; and it is considerably cheaper to live the expat life, in these and other destinations, than it is to visit as a tourist. So you can be something of a "fat cat" -- in fact, as a gringo, you can scarcely avoid it!
    For now.

This window will not stay open forever as developing economies develop and developed economies recede we will find this opportunity shrinking. My Grandfather never experienced anything near the opportunities I've enjoyed and I doubt that my Grandchildren will either. We have lived in the best of times in the places that we're from. I don't think that we'll outlive this era by much.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    For now.

This window will not stay open forever as developing economies develop and developed economies recede we will find this opportunity shrinking. My Grandfather never experienced anything near the opportunities I've enjoyed and I doubt that my Grandchildren will either. We have lived in the best of times in the places that we're from. I don't think that we'll outlive this era by much.
    Totally agree, I have observer ed the infrastructure of the DR, improve, with it more economic opportunity. That is great, and one reason, economically speaking, I don't consider the DR, what was known as a 3rd world economy any longer. Because with their economic development, not for everyone for sure, but housing costs, which in my mind was a great advantage of living abroad and in the DR in particular are disappearing, housing costs of new homes, condos are becoming more in line with first world countries. Cost more to get something decent, in a decent area. Still can get cheap in the undesirable areas.

So as Grey indicates, buy soon if you want to get good deals.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

There is no need to be Dom Rep centred or Sos. centred as for the island. Many choose Thailand, Spain etc.

Most of the successful expats that I met were working, maintaining a steady relationship, steering away from obvious troubles, doing charitable work, enjoying other hobbies as well.
    Archivos adjuntos Archivos adjuntos

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So here we go again, want to put a quick story about something that just ocurred, but don't think it deserves it's own thread. So had to find an ex-pat thread, since it involves ex-pat life. Considered piggy backing a post in Camaro's thread as I have done previously, but don't think that is fair to his thread, and normally when I do that it is in response kind of to a previous post in his thread. This is out of the blue, so hope questner doesn't mind the piggy back, but this thread has been dead for awhile, so just reviving it a bit.

So last time was a serendipity moment and in my mind this kind of falls in that category as well. This like most tnings I share involes obviously something that happens out of the blue in an ex-pats life on this island. A little out of the norm, based on time that elapsed between contact but not totally unusual.

So will get to the nuts and bolts in the next post, as I am still processing it a bit myself.

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So the serendipity moment occurred in Bailar's thread regarding his time in Las Terrenas and Samana. He posted a picture of a chica he ran into in a club there that used to be somewhat popular on this site., I guess she was off the grid for awhile. A day after after seeing that post out of the blue her younger sister sends me a message basically saying when can we get together, and she had a friend she wanted to share with me. What was strange is this is not a chica I communicate with often, actually looking at our last whatsapp comunication it was in the first week of June, and now the last week of August she contacts me, weird coincidence because of the timing a day after Bailar's post regarding her sister. If she contacted me a week prior, it wouldn't have struck me in that manner, just would have been another normal day in the life of an ex-pat.

So now it happens again, but this time the amount of elapsed time was even greater.

So I get a greeting in messenger, basic hola and I respond in kind. I look at the name doesn't ring a bell. Review the previous conversation in messenger and I see the last time we communicated was in June of 2015, more than 3 years ago. Have a nice conversation how you been etc, etc. Looked at her fotos in facebook, don't recognize her at all, see she has had a baby, looking at the pictures would say the baby is about 6 months old, and although not a lot she has retained a bit of the baby weight. So I am intrigued ask her where she lives, she says Avenida España, not far from Andy's and Mixta discoteca. Anyway by this time besides checking out her fotos, I check her number and I see we haven't been together sexually, because I keep codes in my phone at a glance, I can tell if we had been together and we hadn't.

Next thing I know she says she wants to be with me and one of her girlfriends. I ask for a photo of her friend, the friend is a knockout, really beautiful and sexy. She tells me her girlfriend has her car snd they can be over within the hour. I tell her let's slow down a beat, I am busy but we can do something in the coming week. So I am excited, especially to get at the girlfriend. Before we conclude the conversation, she mentions, she has a lot of sexy girlfriends from her neighborhood, told her that would be good!

Ex-pat life is something else, so many oppurtunities, and most of them never seem to have a problem giving their friends to you as well. So my second serendipity moment in two days, love it, can't wait to see if I can go three for three!
    Last edited by yayow; 08-23-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Ex-pat life is something else, so many oppurtunities, and most of them never seem to have a problem giving their friends to you as well. So my second serendipity moment in two days, love it, can't wait to see if I can go three for three!
    I would think endless opportunties...not that many mongers go to SDQ...And so many of the Sosua girls etc. go back to SDQ.....Seeking Arrangements gives you good idea of how many of the hot ones are in SDQ....

Now your only problem is lots of them hate going to Boca...But I am sure you have your way to overcome that

34. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I would think endless opportunties...not that many mongers go to SDQ...And so many of the Sosua girls etc. go back to SDQ.....Seeking Arrangements gives you good idea of how many of the hot ones are in SDQ....

Now your only problem is lots of them hate going to Boca...But I am sure you have your way to overcome that
    Actually not as many as in years past mind coming to Boca, reputation has improved greatly. Supposedly big infrastructure improvements are set to begin in November, which will suck for bisinesses and during high season, but it needs to get done. Plus I tend to show the chicas my view, and if they have a doubt, often times that is good enough to change their mind. But I have no problem going to the capital and doing a cabana.

36. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,125 Times in 3,033 Posts

Actually not as many as in years past mind coming to Boca, reputation has improved greatly. Supposedly big infrastructure improvements are set to begin in November, which will suck for bisinesses and during high season, but it needs to get done. Plus I tend to show the chicas my view, and if they have a doubt, often times that is good enough to change their mind. But I have no problem going to the capital and doing a cabana.
    Its a tough life you lead brother. Hope to make a trip there sometime in December maybe the week before the invasion and the crazy winter break airfares.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CentralNJDude For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information