Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/2016 - Making the move to Ex Pat

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

10/2016 - Making the move to Ex Pat

How many trips were made to a place, how many places were checked out before the big move?

Last edited by Jimmydr; 10-08-2016 at 10:08 AM.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: 10/2016 - Making the move to Ex Pat

I started going to DR in 1997 and by 2007, I was going to Meddy, Colombia.

I still did DR but Boca instead of Sosua.

9 years in, I determined Meddy was better for my FUTURE move.

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

I lost count, but I think around 20. Some trips were as long as 6 weeks...others as short as 7 days.
    Blue Devil

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    I lost count, but I think around 20. Some trips were as long as 6 weeks...others as short as 7 days.
    And then you knew it was for you.

Last edited by Jimmydr; 10-08-2016 at 10:04 AM.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yep. We are talking about that subject right now over breakfast.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    How many trips were made to a place, how many places were checked out before the big move?
    I don't know yet. There are going to be more...
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    Yep. We are talking about that subject right now over breakfast.
    Crepes and waffles later?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I don't know yet. There are going to be more...

For me, its at least 20.

Plenty of places to sit and have coffee.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Crepes and waffles later?
    LQ Hotel on Las Palmas.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 1,597 Posts

I plan on making the move as soon as I sell my house. The oil market crash is slowing down the process but hopefully 2017 will be the year. My goal is to find a place close to the beach and not to far from the ladies.

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Happyhorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I haven't even come close to settling on "where," yet.

I do know what I want, at least as of now ... the tropics, on or near the water, good diving, good night-life, but not a MAJOR city. (As you put it, Happyhorn, "close to the beach and not too far from the ladies.") I've been to a few good destinations like that, and there are more I haven't explored.

Heck, I'm still pondering the idea of getting a sturdy, sea-kindly sailboat and making THAT my home. "Now coming to an anchorage near ... who?"

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,791 Times in 353 Posts

I did about 20 trips each to DR and Colombia then did six months straight in each country with the intention of splitting my time between the two. If Colombia had nice beaches in easily accessible areas the choice would be hands down Colombia for me without question but I enjoy the beach just way too much to give it up so I decided on 8 months a year in the DR and 4 months a year in the U.S.with visits to Colombia. In the future all options are on the table,I have no reason to plant my flag firmly in one spot.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Any new place I go to I think....I could live here.

After 10 years of 3 months per year in the DR I thought I had found my happy place. Then I went to Thailand and..... forget about DR, this is for me.

This winter, after 4 years of 3 months per year in Thailand I am returning to the DR.

I think the Smooth One is onto something when he talks about living for 3 months in each of his happy places after he retires.
    Last edited by snoozer; 10-08-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post

After 10 years of 3 months per year in the DR I thought I had found my happy place. Then I went to Thailand and..... forget about DR, this is for me.

This winter, after 4 years of 3 months per year in Thailand I am returning to the DR.

I think the Smooth one is onto something when he talks about living for 3 months in each of his happy places after he retires.I
    That actually makes a lot of sense, to me ... for me, certainly for now. (Or for that time in the future when I can spend two or three months away from home. at a time.)

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post

I think the Smooth One is onto something when he talks about living for 3 months in each of his happy places after he retires.
    Assuming you are referring to me?

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to plan all that out. Am looking at the DR, Thailand and Kenya. In doing that though, the additional expense of airfare becomes a big factor in being able to afford that type of lifestyle.

For me, I think it would require an income close to $4,000 per month. If I can't, then maybe just cut it down to two different spots per year and swap one place out for the other the following year.

Each place has it's benefit. For convenience and that small town atmosphere where you can walk everywhere and be close to the beach, it's the DR.

For the multitude of available low cost accomadations and overwhelming entertainment options, as well as normal, everyday activities that have nothing to do with mongering, it's Thailand.

And for the ladies themselves, both in expense and the superior attitudes and personality, it's Kenya hands down.

With what I enjoy doing, on my own potential budget, I can't lose in any of those destinations.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I haven't even come close to settling on "where," yet.

I do know what I want, at least as of now ... the tropics, on or near the water, good diving, good night-life, but not a MAJOR city. (As you put it, Happyhorn, "close to the beach and not too far from the ladies.") I've been to a few good destinations like that, and there are more I haven't explored.

Heck, I'm still pondering the idea of getting a sturdy, sea-kindly sailboat and making THAT my home. "Now coming to an anchorage near ... who?"
    Have you been to St. Martin/ St. Maarten? The marinas there are top notch and filled with ex-pats from all over the world. Many take island hopping tours to pass the time. If I were a boat guy I'd definitely consider that as a next step. It's really not that much more expensive than the other Caribbean destinations mentioned and there's tons of imported Pum-Pum in the legal, government inspected brothels of the Dutch side.

The main difference is that unless a major hurricane passes over the island there are no power/ communications outages to speak of and you can safely drink water right out of the tap. Food is cheap and plentiful and everything is duty free as they have no "sin tax". I buy American cigarettes, Cuban cigars and French booze there for much less than they cost where they are made and you would need to go as far inland as possible to find some locals who don't speak English. The poor folks (both of them) in the interior speak Papiamento which is to Dutch what Tagalog is to Spanish and what Kreyol is to French.

You could probably talk me into returning there just to show you around.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Have you been to St. Martin/ St. Maarten? The marinas there are top notch and filled with ex-pats from all over the world. Many take island hopping tours to pass the time. If I were a boat guy I'd definitely consider that as a next step. It's really not that much more expensive than the other Caribbean destinations mentioned and there's tons of imported Pum-Pum in the legal, government inspected brothels of the Dutch side.

The main difference is that unless a major hurricane passes over the island there are no power/ communications outages to speak of and you can safely drink water right out of the tap. Food is cheap and plentiful and everything is duty free as they have no "sin tax". I buy American cigarettes, Cuban cigars and French booze there for much less than they cost where they are made and you would need to go as far inland as possible to find some locals who don't speak English. The poor folks (both of them) in the interior speak Papiamento which is to Dutch what Tagalog is to Spanish and what Kreyol is to French.

I spent a day there in December 1997, on a big-ship cruise, with my mother. It is a beautiful island, no question about it, and a destination worth exploring; indeed, that whole spread of islands, from Trinidad to St. Thomas, are justly renowned as a cruising ground.

The Lesser Antilles are just what I have in mind when I speak of sailing down to "de islands, mon." Well, actually, I'd include the Greater Antilles in that (Puerto Rico to Jamaica, and Cuba, too, when it's open enough to US-flagged cruisers.)

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post

But what is the general cost of living there, housing, food etc?
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    But what is the general cost of living there, housing, food etc?
    Housing is not cheap but in Westy's case a live aboard gives him the advantage of only needing to pay slip fees and utilities which are cheap by our standards and reliable by our standards as well.

Food is extremely inexpensive and the variety is what struck me the most as it exceeded what I'm used to in the USA. As I stated earlier there is no import duty in St Maarten and all the brands that we're used to were there in addition to some very fine foods straight from European distributors, for instance, they don't have several types of Gouda and several brands...they've got a whole entire Gouda aisle. The produce was plentiful, fresh and far less expensive than what I pay for the same stuff in the USA, same for packaged foods.

If I had to rate Sint Maarten / Saint Martin as a travel destination I'd give it the highest marks for beaches and food and put it in the top 3 for Pum-Pum, gambling and clubbing among Caribbean islands in my experience. Dining out there is just a bit less than in the USA but the cuisine is widely varied and fantastically prepared and service is excellent everywhere I've been. They've got two locations in Phillipsburg for a restaurant named "The Jerk" with better Jamaican cuisine than I ever had in Jamaica. The owner (we nicknamed him 'slick' because he wears a perm under his hairnet) is a bit on the flamboyant side but that sumbitch can cook like nodody's business. Don't look for him during Carnival week though (last week in April) because he'll be at the carnival grounds in a dress dancing until he drops every night.

Sint Maarten is no place for the budget tourist and definitely no place for the budget monger but there are no beggars and there aren't many thieves (LE is zero tolerance on crime and the cops will beat a thief within an inch of his life in the precinct parking lot, I've seen this). There are so many jobs available there that they import most of their labor force and they pay decent wages too. The French side is more laid back and they have the best restaurants and beaches but they have no gambling, prostitution or duty free jewelry and Cuban cigars so fuck them.

There are many ex-pat Dominicans living great middle class lives in Sint Maarten and they have a very relaxed immigration policy. Many of these expatriate Dominicano's 1st came to the island as temporary workers, made their mark as reliable, competent and honest and were offered permanent status.

34. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

I started going to DR in 1997 and by 2007, I was going to Meddy, Colombia.

I still did DR but Boca instead of Sosua.

9 years in, I determined Meddy was better for my FUTURE move.
    Werent you building a house in sosua during that time?

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information