Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/2016 - Making the move to Ex Pat

Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 795 Posts

Re: 10/2016 - Making the move to Ex Pat

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Have you been to St. Martin/ St. Maarten? The marinas there are top notch and filled with ex-pats from all over the world. Many take island hopping tours to pass the time. If I were a boat guy I'd definitely consider that as a next step. It's really not that much more expensive than the other Caribbean destinations mentioned and there's tons of imported Pum-Pum in the legal, government inspected brothels of the Dutch side.

The main difference is that unless a major hurricane passes over the island there are no power/ communications outages to speak of and you can safely drink water right out of the tap. Food is cheap and plentiful and everything is duty free as they have no "sin tax". I buy American cigarettes, Cuban cigars and French booze there for much less than they cost where they are made and you would need to go as far inland as possible to find some locals who don't speak English. The poor folks (both of them) in the interior speak Papiamento which is to Dutch what Tagalog is to Spanish and what Kreyol is to French.

You could probably talk me into returning there just to show you around.
    we ( you and me on another topic) have already talked about it.
    i really liked the island but I cannot see how you can say it's not expensive. i have found it expensive compared to DR or Jamaica for example.. restaurant prices, groceries, apartment rent...
    follow my Negril trip report at http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429348-07-2014-I-am-back-in-the-saddle-again-El-Cristo-Negril-trip-report

Sometimes we fuck up...and life is so much better that way...

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have been an ex pats in US for 9 years and planning on making the move to Sosua in the near future.. I am already all set since I have a brand new house there and 2 apartemts that I rent..
    i cannot pull the trigger yet because I love my work and cannot see myself retire completely.. Anyway I am not in a rush to decide because I really enjoy my life...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,400 Times in 78,291 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    Werent you building a house in sosua during that time?
    Sold it many years ago.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,355 Times in 2,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Sold it many years ago.
    good that you recognized you preferred somewhere else and so altered your plans.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    good that you recognized you preferred somewhere else and so altered your plans.
    You need to keep your options open.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ElCristo View Post
    we ( you and me on another topic) have already talked about it.
    i really liked the island but I cannot see how you can say it's not expensive. i have found it expensive compared to DR or Jamaica for example.. restaurant prices, groceries, apartment rent...
    Rents.....very expensive but slip fees and utilities for a live aboard boat are the best value, way cheaper than in the murky waters of U.S. marinas (North of NC if we're talking about the East Coast).

Food.....inexpensive at the markets. I can buy the same exact items (I'd have to go to several specialty markets to find them all) in the USA and pay 3x as much. When I say cheap, I'm speaking in terms of value, not plantains and pork fat mushed up in a ball. Let me give you a f'rinstance...if I want a 2" thick Delmonico chop with turnips, brussels sprouts, maybe put the chops on a bed of grits or deep fried carrots, possible mash of baby reds with a little parsley, burdock and lemongrass to light it up. We'll throw in a generic CA Pinot Noir and that's 140 bucks at Carmine's for two people while it's less than half that much in Sint Maarten, the food is fresher and the service is better at a wide variety of eateries. The real proof is in the grocery line. You have to experience it to understand the difference. I spent 20 minutes in the cheese section trying to find a cheese with any hint of flavor in the D.R. with that colorless, tasteless shit that passes for cheese there. In that same 20 minutes I found a half dozen "must try" cheeses to go with my assortment of fresh fruit in Sint Maarten.

Rent is always going to be cheaper where the power goes off for hours or even days at a time and there's a good chance that if you leave your home empty for more than a few hours you are a candidate for a B&E. Where some days it seems like there are more People begging than there are People working, mostly because the People who work also have to beg just to make ends meet. That is the D.R./ and Jamaica, that is not Sint Maarten.

Keep it real, if you are going to quote me, please. I have NEVER stated that Sint Maarten was "cheap" but I have always maintained that it was among the best value when figuring in the agony index issues of other (cheaper) Caribbean destinations.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Rents.....very expensive but slip fees and utilities for a live aboard boat are the best value, way cheaper than in the murky waters of U.S. marinas (North of NC if we're talking about the East Coast).

Food.....inexpensive at the markets. I can buy the same exact items (I'd have to go to several specialty markets to find them all) in the USA and pay 3x as much. When I say cheap, I'm speaking in terms of value, not plantains and pork fat mushed up in a ball. Let me give you a f'rinstance...if I want a 2" thick Delmonico chop with turnips, brussels sprouts, maybe put the chops on a bed of grits or deep fried carrots, possible mash of baby reds with a little parsley, burdock and lemongrass to light it up. We'll throw in a generic CA Pinot Noir and that's 140 bucks at Carmine's for two people while it's less than half that much in Sint Maarten, the food is fresher and the service is better at a wide variety of eateries. The real proof is in the grocery line. You have to experience it to understand the difference. I spent 20 minutes in the cheese section trying to find a cheese with any hint of flavor in the D.R. with that colorless, tasteless shit that passes for cheese there. In that same 20 minutes I found a half dozen "must try" cheeses to go with my assortment of fresh fruit in Sint Maarten.

Rent is always going to be cheaper where the power goes off for hours or even days at a time and there's a good chance that if you leave your home empty for more than a few hours you are a candidate for a B&E. Where some days it seems like there are more People begging than there are People working, mostly because the People who work also have to beg just to make ends meet. That is the D.R./ and Jamaica, that is not Sint Maarten.

Keep it real, if you are going to quote me, please. I have NEVER stated that Sint Maarten was "cheap" but I have always maintained that it was among the best value when figuring in the agony index issues of other (cheaper) Caribbean destinations.
    and I have never stated that you said that was cheap. I am keeping it real. I said I find it difficult to see how it could not be way more expensive compared to other Caribbean destinations. Then you mention going out at restaurants compared to a place (Carmine's, wtf is that?) I believe in US... again I was comparing St. Maarten to other Caribbean destinations... i have been there once, I really liked it but in my experience it's way more expensive than other the Caribbean Islands mentioned above (Dr, Jamaica).
    I am talking about direct comparison: same type of groceries in supermarkets, same type of apartments in similar locations, same kind of restaurants... I cannot compare gas, power and other utilities and because I did not experience that...

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

and I have never stated that you said that was cheap. I am keeping it real. I said I find it difficult to see how it could not be way more expensive compared to other Caribbean destinations. Then you mention going out at restaurants compared to a place (Carmine's, wtf is that?) I believe in US... again I was comparing St. Maarten to other Caribbean destinations... i have been there once, I really liked it but in my experience it's way more expensive than other the Caribbean Islands mentioned above (Dr, Jamaica).
    I am talking about direct comparison: same type of groceries in supermarkets, same type of apartments in similar locations, same kind of restaurants... I cannot compare gas, power and other utilities and because I did not experience that...
    One day I hope to enjoy a late afternoon shared bottle of vino tinto while you point out the fundamental difference between "less expensive" and "cheap" as those expressions are used in the English language.

"Carmines, WTF is that"??? Jeezuz!

C'mon Man... you've been to New York City, Washington, DC, Atlantic City, N.J. and never heard about Carmines? It's a moderately price family restaurant with comparable quantity and quality to the food in Sint Maarten restaurants versus the lack of that quality or quantity on the relatively impoverished islands which you mentioned.

http://www.carminesnyc.com/

My 1st time grocery shopping in Montego Bay was my last. I'll stop for supplies, like mixers and munchies but if you've ever cracked an egg from a Jamaican grocery store or tried to cook the beef they sell there I wouldn't have to explain it. I'll put it like this...you can't try to cook eggs for breakfast with fresh eggs that you went shopping for that day like I did. What happens next will not look like eggs, smell like eggs or even cook like eggs and the Jamaican breakfast of ackee and salt fish will be a welcome alternative. Same thing with beef, you can buy the cut of beef and it will look like the butcher had a seizure in mid cleaver stroke. It smells like something else, especially when you cook it, I'm thinking a cross between the smell of deer liver and the goat entrails used in voodoo ceremonies.

It's okay though, I gained a fondness for ital cooking resultant from my DIY in Jamaica dining experiences. Either way, my point is just this and nothing else: Sometimes I want cheap and I look for inexpensive but sometimes I want good and I look for best value. It really is just that simple.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

mi visited probably close to 20 countries since 1982......thru Latin America and most of the Caribbean....mi love da water and beaches....
    but never flown to Asia as it just to far from the USA and mi want to be close to the states for medical stuff if the need occurs
    overall Jamaica gives mi what mi needs are...language is English...girls sex great....great beaches...good food....nice music....and a lot to do
    drawbacks are the expenses involved..food can be expensive in the markets...and real estate is expensive but renting isn't...vehicles are expensive
    taxis are elcheapo in Jamaica.....like any place once you know the runnings you can save money here and there like any place mi guess.......
    mi alternative place is the DR where the beautiful ladies are more plentiful......but the language thingy is a killer for this guy and hate not knowing what a gurl is saying to mi.....lol

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One day I hope to enjoy a late afternoon shared bottle of vino tinto while you point out the fundamental difference between "less expensive" and "cheap" as those expressions are used in the English language.

C'mon Man... you've been to New York City, Washington, DC, Atlantic City, N.J. and never heard about Carmines? It's a moderately price family restaurant with comparable quantity and quality to the food in Sint Maarten restaurants versus the lack of that quality or quantity on the relatively impoverished islands which you mentioned.

My 1st time grocery shopping in Montego Bay was my last. I'll stop for supplies, like mixers and munchies but if you've ever cracked an egg from a Jamaican grocery store or tried to cook the beef they sell there I wouldn't have to explain it. I'll put it like this...you can't try to cook eggs for breakfast with fresh eggs that you went shopping for that day like I did. What happens next will not look like eggs, smell like eggs or even cook like eggs and the Jamaican breakfast of ackee and salt fish will be a welcome alternative. Same thing with beef, you can buy the cut of beef and it will look like the butcher had a seizure in mid cleaver stroke. It smells like something else, especially when you cook it, I'm thinking a cross between the smell of deer liver and the goat entrails used in voodoo ceremonies.

It's okay though, I gained a fondness for ital cooking resultant from my DIY in Jamaica dining experiences. Either way, my point is just this and nothing else: Sometimes I want cheap and I look for inexpensive but sometimes I want good and I look for best value. It really is just that simple.
    sorry but I try to avoid those kind of restaurants as much as I can. I could be wrong since I haven't been there, but the fact that the same restaurant exists in many different places, with actually the same menu everywhere, suggests me that is a kind of a chain... just the name of the items in the menu with fake Italian names horrifies me. As a good food lover and very knowledged about authentic Italian food, I am really not interested in that... I have never cooked food in Jamaica, but I do on a constant basis in DR and whoever has been my guest can testify the quality of it, and the merit goes to the good quality ingredients I buy into the grocery stores... obviously you do not have the variety you could find in US or Europe but we are not talking about that. I truly believe you can find the same quality of food at Playero if not better than what you can find in a grocery store in Saint Marteen.
    It would my pleasure to share a bottle of wine with you as well as some experience and ideas... it would be an honor to cook something for you as well... do you ever happen to be in Sosua?

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

We had an ISOC dinner there

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Love Carmines. It's must do when in AC. We usually stay at Tropicana, so it's a no-brainer to eat at Carmines.
    Blue Devil

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    I lost count, but I think around 20. Some trips were as long as 6 weeks...others as short as 7 days.
    In addition to the 20 or so trips to Colombia, I made many trips to other countries to check out retired living including: Costa Rica, the DR and Europe. I once thought Costa Rica would be a good spot for retirement, but after looking at the cost of living, housing and the large number of gringo ex-pats already living there, I decided to move on. Glad I did.

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Love Carmines. It's must do when in AC. We usually stay at Tropicana, so it's a no-brainer to eat at Carmines.
    Next year?

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Next year?
    Yeah... February, when the room rates at Tropicana are $29 per night.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah... February, when the room rates at Tropicana are $29 per night.
    The month I can't go.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

sorry but I try to avoid those kind of restaurants as much as I can. I could be wrong since I haven't been there, but the fact that the same restaurant exists in many different places, with actually the same menu everywhere, suggests me that is a kind of a chain... just the name of the items in the menu with fake Italian names horrifies me. As a good food lover and very knowledged about authentic Italian food, I am really not interested in that... I have never cooked food in Jamaica, but I do on a constant basis in DR and whoever has been my guest can testify the quality of it, and the merit goes to the good quality ingredients I buy into the grocery stores... obviously you do not have the variety you could find in US or Europe but we are not talking about that. I truly believe you can find the same quality of food at Playero if not better than what you can find in a grocery store in Saint Marteen.
    It would my pleasure to share a bottle of wine with you as well as some experience and ideas... it would be an honor to cook something for you as well... do you ever happen to be in Sosua?
    I usually travel to the South Coast but I think that an evening of good food, good conversation and the benefit of sharing the experiences of someone as well traveled as you could tempt me into a field trip.

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I usually travel to the South Coast but I think that an evening of good food, good conversation and the benefit of sharing the experiences of someone as well traveled as you could tempt me into a field trip.
    You can't do both?

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You can't do both?
    I need a trip of at least a weeh duration. In the last 13 months I've spent 6 weeks travelling to Africa and made 2 trips to Negril. There's only so much of me to go 'round.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Let's make it happen then.. i will make some good pulled pork and great wine or beer.. and later on, if you want I have a couple of nice chicas as well... everything on the house... how does that sound?

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information