Thread: 11/2016 -Good News for South Florida travelers : PAWA beings service from South Fla !

Thanks

11/2016 -Good News for South Florida travelers : PAWA beings service from South Fla !

more competition should keep prices reasonable , typo in title meant to say begins

From miami herald

BY CHABELI HERRERA
    cherrera@miamiherald.com

When Dominican airline Pawa Dominicana begins flying between Miami and Dominican Republic capital Santo Domingo in November, it will mark the first time in more than two decades that a commercial Dominican airline will offer flights to the United States.
    The airline announced the new route Wednesday, including plans to operate two daily flights from Miami International Airport beginning Nov. 16. The route will also serve as a connector for flights to Curacao, St. Maarten, Antigua, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Haiti and Cuba.
    Pawa, formerly a subsidiary of Pan American World Airways, has been in operation since August 2015 and operates 160-seat MD-83 and 110-seat DC 9-32 aircrafts. Miami flights leave MIA at 5:15 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. every day. Fares start at about $320 roundtrip in November, slightly cheaper than competitor rates during the same month.
    “Pawa offers a different experience focusing more on the human aspect of customer service, featuring the broadest variety of ticket sales channels and better service for passengers with the typical Dominican warmth, both on board and on ground, as well as a punctuality rate that on average has exceeded 93 percent during our first year of operations,” said Daniel Castillo, Pawa Dominicana’s U.S. country manager, in a release.
    According to MIA, the Dominican Republic is the airport’s fourth-busiest international market, with more than a million total passengers annually. On Sept. 30, the airport also welcomed Dominican-based charter airline Dominican Wings, which is already offering weekly service to Santo Domingo and Punta Cana.
    The Dominican Republic is Miami’s No. 24 international market, responsible for attracting nearly 22,500 in 2015.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...#storylink=cpy

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JoseTalapia For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Re: Good News for South Florida travelers : PAWA beings service from South Fla !

Flying from Orlando, mostly everything connects in MIA or sometimes FLL. I've considered making the drive to these S. FL airports for the right price, however the fares have been about the same thus far , at least on AA. Any sort of mix up in the availability of flights should help all of Florida.
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,255 Times in 459 Posts

Re: Good News for South Florida travelers : PAWA beings service from South Fla !

Good Info...

I just did a test run for a flight in Jan b/w PAWA and AA--and it's a decent price difference for me to consider using them....

With a difference of $184.24 or 132.24-->> that is more than enough to swag me to try them out...

Curious to see how supply and demand rules play into affect....and what the competition will do over the coming months....
    Last edited by NiteStallion876; 10-27-2016 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added actual price difference

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NiteStallion876 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

Does that pawa say $322RT? I live in Ft.Lauderdale and I gotta tell you that you need to do more looking or setting some alerts on your phone.
    Should be in the $250 range because it's Jan.
    Check every day, put Hopper on your phone, look at Google travel or ITA software. If you can get to FLL check Spirit fares...just make sure you follow their directions because the price will go UP if you don't.The only problem with them is you either got to go to Santiago or Santa Domingo. For the most part if you stay inside their rules, they should have the cheapest flights here in SF most of the time.
    The Santiago one can be hard. Leaves at like midnight and your there at like 2 in the morning. Taxi can cost you. I used to just hang until I could go to the bus station when the sun came up and get a cheap ticket to Sosua if that's where your going. Bus from Santiago used to be really cheap but then again I haven't been there in about 4 years.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    Does that pawa say $322RT? I live in Ft.Lauderdale and I gotta tell you that you need to do more looking or setting some alerts on your phone.
    Should be in the $250 range because it's Jan.
    Check every day, put Hopper on your phone, look at Google travel or ITA software. If you can get to FLL check Spirit fares...just make sure you follow their directions because the price will go UP if you don't.The only problem with them is you either got to go to Santiago or Santa Domingo. For the most part if you stay inside their rules, they should have the cheapest flights here in SF most of the time.
    The Santiago one can be hard. Leaves at like midnight and your there at like 2 in the morning. Taxi can cost you. I used to just hang until I could go to the bus station when the sun came up and get a cheap ticket to Sosua if that's where your going. Bus from Santiago used to be really cheap but then again I haven't been there in about 4 years.
    That is RT......

I've only gone to DR later in the year so didn't know that was high....it's actually right in line with what I've paid the last few times considering those trip where during the summer and fall for the most part...

If slow season can get me prices that low I would definitely change my trip times....

I haven't checked spirit yet....

What's hopper? I've never used that before.....

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NiteStallion876 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

SDQ airport always has lower rates from Florida. Also the only non stop route from Orlando to the Dominican Republic. Now if this new airline was going to POP at those rates I would jump on it.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStallion876 View Post

What's hopper? I've never used that before.....

Hopper analyzes historical data and helps you predict when flights are the cheapest.

How Hopper Does It:

Since Hopper launched, our data-science team has collected a huge historical archive of trillions of flight prices. We analyze that data to share with our users through insightful predictions that consistently perform with 95% accuracy.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Happyhorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhorn View Post
    Hopper analyzes historical data and helps you predict when flights are the cheapest.

How Hopper Does It:

Since Hopper launched, our data-science team has collected a huge historical archive of trillions of flight prices. We analyze that data to share with our users through insightful predictions that consistently perform with 95% accuracy.
    Cool....I just downloaded to my phone...gonna try it out.

Preciate the incite.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NiteStallion876 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I checked Spirit today for 1/1/17 through 1/12/17......$258RT.

Like I said...just follow their directions and you'll keep the price down. Some guys just bring a carry on that FITS in the box they have. If it doesn't FIT your going to pay to get it on the plane. psr has a piece of luggage that he can get enough in to survive a week that FITS!!

I'm using FITS in capitals to emphasize that if you don't follow the weight/size it will COST you

I flew back and forth to the DR and Colombia for a few years and never had to pay anything extra because I read the web site and followed their rules.
    I chuckle when guys tell the board they spend an extra $100 or more to fly like on AA so they can get a free coke! Or free snacks on Jet Blue or a free bag when if you pay the $40 you still beat the prices on other airlines most times.

They also bitch about comfort. We here in SFL ony have to sit in the seat for 1 1/2 hours to DR or 3 1/2 to Medellin. But even then if I was flying like from NY and could save more than $100 or much more some times I would still buy Spirit to save that kind of money.

Culo joe used to say....$100 is about 5 st's in Medellin

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    Culo joe used to say....$100 is about 5 st's in Medellin
    More like 7 now

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

yeah wi need a lot more competition in Florida.......AA and Delta are tucking it to us for sure.......
    for whatever reason AA and Delta want $300 for a one way ticket to Montego Bay, Jamaica for December....
    for the past 5 years in December you could always find flights on those two airlines for $150 one way.....
    dunno why they got doubled their prices......of course Spirit still got dem low prices for December.......
    shit mi can do Tampa, FL to Boston, MA for $300 roundtrip but they want $300 one way to Jamaica now?
    Spirit is $125 one way like usual......mi will pay for 2 bags too.......so for under $200 mi good......
    so it looks like mi going down on Spirit if there is no price drop on AA and Delta.....ugh....give mi strength
    the layover in Ft Lauderdale is like 6 hours for Spirit......ugh......enuff of mi bitching......lol

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

that Hopper is great app.....but mi don't see Spirit showing up?

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,004 Times in 1,005 Posts

I flew on PAWA dominicana twice...
    I'm 5'8" and my knee was hitting the seat in front of me...

I am not usually claustrophobic but it started to get to me...
    for the return leg, I took a few cuba-libres before boarding and slept the trip back..
    If you don't do it, someone else will!

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MH16 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    that Hopper is great app.....but mi don't see Spirit showing up?
    I don't know if it does but I also would wonder why. I haven't used Spirit in about 3/4 years so I only look once in a blue moon to see what the fares are to Medillin on their web site.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I flew my maiden voyage on PAWA leaving Miami on Tuesday November 22nd and returning today November 27th. PAWA just started service from SDQ to Miami a week earlier. This is my review. The check in process was unnecessarily protracted. When I arrived at the PAWA counter there were only 4-5 people. But the line was slow. When I made it to the counter I did not have the credit card I used to charge the air fare on me and the agent requested that I go home and get it. I live 20 miles from the airport and had already parked in remote parking so I told her I wasn't going anywhere they could charge it on another credit card or just honor that reservation. I also suggested that they cancel the reservation and make a new one at the same price tomorrow. This created a bunch of confusion and a team of 3 was attending to me and calling their main office in Santo Domingo. They finally concluded that it was against the law for me to pay with a credit card that I did not present at the counter. At this point I had presented my passport, global entry card and other credit cards so they had ample proof that I was in fact same person who purchased the ticket. I then broke out my trump card, my bar card. I then asked which law I violated and they had no answer, They relented and issued my boarding pass.

Boarding was slow and disorganized. The aircraft was an old MD 82 which means there are 2 seats on one side of the isle and 3 on the other. The flight attendant's were friendly and very attractive , no friggin pigs like you find on Spirit and other airlines. They served a complimentary small meal and they were all friendly. Beverage service was fine. The flight ran on time but was a little bumpy in terms of turbulence. I would say the occupancy was about 50% and almost all were Dominicans as only 4-5 people went to the tourist line.

I left today and when I checked in they started to give me the same crap about my credit card however she must have saw a note by my reservation and dropped the subject quickly. I arrived about 2 hours early and check in took about 15 minutes. Boarding was sort of disorganized but the flight left on time. There were 4 flight attendant's on the flight and two were model quality. Nice eye candy. The flight left at about 10:15 a.m. and they served a complimentary breakfast on board. The flight was about 2/3 capacity.

The airfare was $322 which included one bag of up to 50 lbs. They fare was about $200 lower than American for the same dates. Also significantly less than Jet Blue or brutal Spirit.

In my estimation PAWA has a ways to go if they want to penetrate the US market. However I will give them a pass for now as they are brand new in the market. The service was friendly it just needs to be more efficient at the counter. I would use them again particularly if I save a lot of $$$. I would also bring the card I charged the reservation with just to avoid any confusion.I am glad they are in the market because more competition creates lower fares.
    Last edited by JoseTalapia; 11-27-2016 at 07:37 PM.

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JoseTalapia For This Useful Post:

Thread Information