Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 05/2017 - High Caribbean Disco

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Re: 05/2017 - High Caribbean Disco

Anyone want to guess how much they spent to fix up High Carib between materials & labor?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 205 Posts

Labor and cement are relatively inexpensive. Paint is priced much closer to US prices. Less than a million pesos( 21,000 USD) should cover the work done. Adding tables and chairs, securing the location...rent, deposit, bar stock and equipment, restaurant equipment are all additional.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to captain69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

Don't forget to factor in the bribes and payoff's which are probably the biggest cost of all

High C suffered from years of neglect so it took quite abit to get it into shape.

To bad since I doubt they will last very long unless the owners have deep pockets
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,452 Times in 1,785 Posts

Just left after 10 days. They are passing out flyers like crazy and advertising free VIP seating. The target audience is _________ ? Anybody with some money and whoever wants to check it out. Also they were providing free transpo back & forth with a golf cart. It is hard as the fuck to get customers off the strip to go all the way down there in the boondocks. As far as getting patronage from the brothers, the owner has a reputation for not wanting African American men in the building. That is being said by several of the business owners on Pedro..........(whether it's true or not) is a whole another story. Everyone in the Summer is fighting to keep the customers that they do have so. They biggest customer still is the monger,......... of all races. I can see business owners talking shit on each other but........................I for one don't go where I am not wanted.

TR posting soon.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Shogun Warrior For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,367 Times in 13,903 Posts

Man, I remember years ago when HC packed the place. As good or better than Classicos. They're struggling to get the wheels off the ground, but if it happened once, surely it can happen again.

I had a bar for over ten years, and there were times when I couldn't get folks in the place to save my life, and other times it was the hottest place on the island.

I'm rooting for them in any case.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,135 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Warrior View Post
    Just left after 10 days. They are passing out flyers like crazy and advertising free VIP seating. The target audience is _________ ? Anybody with some money and whoever wants to check it out. Also they were providing free transpo back & forth with a golf cart. It is hard as the fuck to get customers off the strip to go all the way down there in the boondocks. As far as getting patronage from the brothers, the owner has a reputation for not wanting African American men in the building. That is being said by several of the business owners on Pedro..........(whether it's true or not) is a whole another story. Everyone in the Summer is fighting to keep the customers that they do have so. They biggest customer still is the monger,......... of all races. I can see business owners talking shit on each other but........................I for one don't go where I am not wanted.

TR posting soon.
    Yeah, and they're starting to treat their employees like shit. Some are already jumping ship.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Yeah, and they're starting to treat their employees like shit. Some are already jumping ship.
    Some how I think that happens when they don't pay them what they were promised.

A pretty crap thing to do to those employees imo but they know they can get away with it.

One day an angry family member may get even with them though

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 290 Posts

I heard from another site that High Carribean is closed as of yesterday. Can anyone who is in Sosua verify this?

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Al Nyc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,147 Times in 2,001 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyc View Post
    I heard from another site that High Carribean is closed as of yesterday. Can anyone who is in Sosua verify this?
    I was in Sosua this past weekend and it was still open...they had runners out giving out flyers begging for people to come to the disco.

I declined.

I am sure its got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3_Sith_Lord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,640 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyc View Post

On their Facebook page, they are advertising a party for this coming weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/High-Caribb...jtMzFGDHomjMIk

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to daddyooo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

At high carribbean tonight
    yes they are open

they have a live band that is supposed to play

they were scheduled to go on at 11pm

it is now 1:20 am and they have not taken the stage yet

some kind of warm up singers out there now

guess they dont have to follow the 1am close tonight

quite a few people

Mostly all dominicans

i will try to represent for the gringo crowd but there are not to many gringos here

not sure what the band is getting paid but be surprised if it is profitable for the bar

i think some of the ownership is sitting right by me

they dont seem to impressed
    Last edited by j_d66; 08-07-2017 at 03:15 AM.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The band finally came on

its nearly 3 am and they still going

100% merengue

they seem pretty good but all
    merengue gets old for me

not much ap. (Available pussy) here this night

i would deem this a success as far as people showing up

see what the future holds for them

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,017 Times in 7,148 Posts

A band coming on at 1:30 AM coincides with my schedule to go home and go to sleep.
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,135 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    The band finally came on

its nearly 3 am and they still going

100% merengue

they seem pretty good but all
    merengue gets old for me

not much ap. (Available pussy) here this night

i would deem this a success as far as people showing up

see what the future holds for them
    But it seems like they only get a crowd when there's a show. And very few tourist.

I'm a little confused as to the type of crowd they are looking for? They pass out flyers to tourist during the day; but the shows are promoted to the locals. And the shows are not Bachata that the average tourist can relate to.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

But it seems like they only get a crowd when there's a show. And very few tourist.

I'm a little confused as to the type of crowd they are looking for? They pass out flyers to tourist during the day; but the shows are promoted to the locals. And the shows are not Bachata that the average tourist can relate to.
    this show was no doubt for the locals

i counted maybe one or two tourists other than me there.

I didn't have to much fun there

not an ad kinda place at all

hard to know if they made a profit

i got a special deal on the ticket at 300 rd

we originally went to a vip seat but you had to buy a bottle of whiskey to sit there. Since we wanted a bottle of rum we had to move

that seat was not filled that night

they did complete the outside part so perhaps they plan to stay open

i cant believe they are making a profit right now

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    this show was no doubt for the locals

i counted maybe one or two tourists other than me there.

I didn't have to much fun there

not an ad kinda place at all

hard to know if they made a profit

i got a special deal on the ticket at 300 rd

we originally went to a vip seat but you had to buy a bottle of whiskey to sit there. Since we wanted a bottle of rum we had to move

that seat was not filled that night

they did complete the outside part so perhaps they plan to stay open

i cant believe they are making a profit right now
    So, they're not going after the monger crowd, but rather the local crowd. It sounds like they couldn't care less if they didn't get a single tourist in the place.

Not knowing their operating expenses are running, that may not be a good thing for them.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    So, they're not going after the monger crowd, but rather the local crowd. It sounds like they couldn't care less if they didn't get a single tourist in the place.

Not knowing their operating expenses are running, that may not be a good thing for them.
    No they are not going after the monger crowd, just the opposite. The show on Sunday night was put together by a girl named Jessica who works for the Bar and Restaurant Association of Sosua. This association is 100% opposed to prostitution and campaign hard against it. No doubt this bar will get special priviliges from the authorities just by playing ball with these associations.

34. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It no doubt was not monger friendly at all

i counted less than 5 that look to be tourists in there. And no chicas looking to get picked up

Sure there were putas there though

this night was a special event and they no doubt got special treatment

remember the last event they had a few weeks ago was also the same night the powers that be shut down both rancho tipico/chaka and city lighte

often much going on behind the scenes

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,261 Times in 7,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    No they are not going after the monger crowd, just the opposite. The show on Sunday night was put together by a girl named Jessica who works for the Bar and Restaurant Association of Sosua. This association is 100% opposed to prostitution and campaign hard against it. No doubt this bar will get special priviliges from the authorities just by playing ball with these associations.

If the people who run this establishment are seeking out a primarily Dominican crowd where mongers are not looked at as a targeted audience, then what's the problem then? Do any and all new bars have to be welcoming to mongers? Is it a necessity?

Maybe it is for that very reason that it would make HC an ideal spot for someone to bring a "wife up" or "GF" situation there for a night of fun. They play Dominican music, right? How many of us complain about the music in Sosua being top heavy with rap and hip hop? Not enough local selections. Well, sounds like this might be a place to get away from all that, and if I'm a local Dominican taking my wife or GF out for a night of dancing, I don't want the atmosphere of whats happening along the main drag.

Maybe it is a conscience decision of ownership to fill that need for the locals, to offer an alternative from those traditional nightspots that have catered to the monger and WW crowd that saturates Sosua, and not force those locals who want to enjoy an evening away from all that from having to go to Puerta Plata or somewhere outside Sosua.

And not all mongers are grab and smash. Some may want to have a nice evening, a "date night", sort of thing, with a chica they meet, and if amicable to both parties, take their own party down to the far end of the street and enjoy listening and dancing, in a place where the absence of a monger crowd, and the putas that accompany them, might be more than a little refreshing.

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    If the people who run this establishment are seeking out a primarily Dominican crowd where mongers are not looked at as a targeted audience, then what's the problem then? Do any and all new bars have to be welcoming to mongers? Is it a necessity?

Maybe it is for that very reason that it would make HC an ideal spot for someone to bring a "wife up" or "GF" situation there for a night of fun. They play Dominican music, right? How many of us complain about the music in Sosua being top heavy with rap and hip hop? Not enough local selections. Well, sounds like this might be a place to get away from all that, and if I'm a local Dominican taking my wife or GF out for a night of dancing, I don't want the atmosphere of whats happening along the main drag.

Maybe it is a conscience decision of ownership to fill that need for the locals, to offer an alternative from those traditional nightspots that have catered to the monger and WW crowd that saturates Sosua, and not force those locals who want to enjoy an evening away from all that from having to go to Puerta Plata or somewhere outside Sosua.

And not all mongers are grab and smash. Some may want to have a nice evening, a "date night", sort of thing, with a chica they meet, and if amicable to both parties, take their own party down to the far end of the street and enjoy listening and dancing, in a place where the absence of a monger crowd, and the putas that accompany them, might be more than a little refreshing.
    My sentiments exactly. You said it a lot better than I could.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thread Information