Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 05/2017 - High Caribbean Disco

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 205 Posts

Re: 05/2017 - High Caribbean Disco

The mongers are always present, sometimes more and sometimes less. The high and low seasons are determined by the number of regular tourists and retirees in the area. High season runs from December thru April. The rest of the year is low season for the most part. If the euro is strong, a short high can happen over the summer also, but this has not happened the last 2 years.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to captain69 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

I believe that the general consensus, especially among "civilians" is that mongers and their spending power are inconsequential, and make up a relatively small percentage of total tourists....

I might counter that mongers are steady, regular business and that mongers that also live there or are there frequently are good business to have. There are many businesses like the discos and bars and more than a few hotels that depend on mongers for survival if not profit.

The main difference between mongers and regular tourists is that mongers visit in all seasons

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    I know we went through this before, but when exactly is low season? I've been going to DR for 14 years and I don't ever see any changes on that street. Maybe certain special weekends, but never an entire season. In your opinion, do you think mongers only travel during certain times of the year?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    I don't know exactly but when he got shut down last time I heard it cost him big time in fines and payments etc

Plus some other things may have made it a little more difficult financially for him

If you read between the lines I don't think he has had all that much personal skin in the game in his last two ventures at City Lights and High C.

If he did he would have a whole lot more control and likely still be at those places

He who controls the checkbook tends to control what is going on

As we pretty much all know the DR is so full of corruption and there are many who will take advantage whenever they can.

Ultimately I think he will have more success in a smaller venture like Rancho Tipico especially if he can be allowed to manage it in the manner that he would like.

Sure he is tough on his staff but if you pay attention, there are staff who work hard for him and staff who are lazy and the staff who work hard will follow him wherever he goes because they know at the end of the day he will provide them stable employment and treat them fairly.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,791 Times in 353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captain69 View Post
    The mongers are always present, sometimes more and sometimes less. The high and low seasons are determined by the number of regular tourists and retirees in the area. High season runs from December thru April. The rest of the year is low season for the most part. If the euro is strong, a short high can happen over the summer also, but this has not happened the last 2 years.
    The Canadian dollar going in the shitter two years ago and to this day not doing well has had a big impact also.

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to quietcorner911 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,078 Posts

Canadian dollar going in the crapper is only part of it. You generally get a crappy exchange rate in the D.R.

I change my funny money into US up here and still make out better with the double exchange. Always lost about 10% at least on CAN to DOP. US gets market or damn close.

There are other places, but the convenience, weather and friendships over the years keep drawing me back.

If RT re-opens it'll make the whole thing even more convenient for my next trip, if he can last more than 6 months....

8. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to distantvoyeur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

In the two trips I took to Sosua while Rancho Tipico was open, I really enjoyed the open air atmosphere, the thatch roof cover, music, drink prices, chicas (both staff and customers) and overall vibe of the place. And it was a perfect location relative to the main strip. Far enough away from that scene if you wanted to go check it out, yet close enough to stop in for a drink, take a look around, and if not your cup of tea that night, a short 12-15 minute walk or 2 minutes on a moto, and you were right back in the thick of the action.

Meeting up with friends or even stopping in solo, it was a nice alternative to the other usual spots. And with it's smaller size, even if with no more than a dozen customers, it at least gave off the appearance of being busy rather than being empty as I guess is the case with High Caribbean.

Hope it gets up and running again.

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by distantvoyeur View Post
    Canadian dollar going in the crapper is only part of it. You generally get a crappy exchange rate in the D.R.

I change my funny money into US up here and still make out better with the double exchange. Always lost about 10% at least on CAN to DOP. US gets market or damn close.

There are other places, but the convenience, weather and friendships over the years keep drawing me back.

If RT re-opens it'll make the whole thing even more convenient for my next trip, if he can last more than 6 months....
    How come?
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

I'll put money down saying there is no way Rancho Tipico will reopen with Ad involved. He got shut down for certain reasons, which he would still need to correct. Also, the noice level. Part of the reason he was such a target was that the neighbours complained to Officials about the loud music being played till 3am. I doubt the Ministry of Tourism would issue him another bar license based on the past.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

In his own words, Rancho Tipico was his 'baby'. I think Ad will always be grumbling about reopening RT and yearning for days (or nights) gone by in what used to be. In reality (as was stated above), many difficult obstacles appear to stand in the way of that ever happening.

Although being a huge fan of the place myself, I'm not holding my breath......
    Vida es buena....

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    How come?

The Canadians should answer that, but I have quite a few Canadian friends who stay in the DR for months at a time, and when bringing substantial amounts of money do exactly that, because they still get a better rate than converting Canadian dollars directly to Dominican pesos.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    How come?
    I can get US$ in Canada through my broker account for around 1% and most banks typically charge around 3%.
    Changing CDN$ in the DR will result in at least a 5% hit, and more often around 10%.

rsz_img_20170528_194502.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    I'll put money down saying there is no way Rancho Tipico will reopen with Ad involved. He got shut down for certain reasons, which he would still need to correct. Also, the noice level. Part of the reason he was such a target was that the neighbours complained to Officials about the loud music being played till 3am. I doubt the Ministry of Tourism would issue him another bar license based on the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    In his own words, Rancho Tipico was his 'baby'. I think Ad will always be grumbling about reopening RT and yearning for days (or nights) gone by in what used to be. In reality (as was stated above), many difficult obstacles appear to stand in the way of that ever happening.

Although being a huge fan of the place myself, I'm not holding my breath......
    Perhaps he will get away with it by not actually owning it.

The location has been open since he was shut down (well kinda since there has been virtually no one going there).

Not sure how the licensing of alcohol and the allowance to be open or not actually works there.

I assume much of it has to do with who you "take care of" and at what levels

Seems like rules and regulations don't really matter much anyway if they want you closed they will find a way to do it

Ad figured out a way to be part City Lights and High C so he likely will figure out a way to make this one work as well.

I get the feeling he is not at a point in his life where he can just retire
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

The Rumor is Ad got bought out completely at HC Disco.. on sat ... . well i think its not really just a Rumor cuz he was drinking himself silly all day Sunday and Monday & it came from his mouth, but i really dont talk with the guy directly any more.. but I wish him Well....
    I guess he walked away with a little money in his pocket this time at least ...so he said
    again, not to be all gossipy, but again, is anyone seeing a pattern here ?
    He swears he is re opening Rancho Tipico .

23. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post
    The Rumor is Ad got bought out completely at HC Disco.. on sat ... . well i think its not really just a Rumor cuz he was drinking himself silly all day Sunday and Monday & it came from his mouth, but i really dont talk with the guy directly any more.. but I wish him Well....
    I guess he walked away with a little money in his pocket this time at least ...so he said
    again, not to be all gossipy, but again, is anyone seeing a pattern here ?
    He swears he is re opening Rancho Tipico .

Sounds like that is the plan I am hearing as well.

But he must not have walked away with all that much since he apparently is looking for some help in order to get Rancho Tipico open again and there is no definite timeline for it happening at this point.

I would suspect that he will likely get it open at some point but realistically don't see it lasting if he has partners involved.

To bad since times are tough there and Sosua needs places for people to earn a living.

Even working the street is becoming a tough endeavor for the chicas.

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Si_Poppi View Post
    I can get US$ in Canada through my broker account for around 1% and most banks typically charge around 3%.
    Changing CDN$ in the DR will result in at least a 5% hit, and more often around 10%.

Thank you for letting me know. I checked the numbers right now, and yes, there is some sort of an anomaly, probably seasonal or some sort of a recent one.

You can lower the losses to about 2% in addition to 2.5% Visa rate when you use ATM and draw pesos from CAD account. And for the short trip it does not matter a lot, just makes a trip safer.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

So is High Carib doing any better?

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

psriches and I were in Sousa on Saturday and there were only 6 people in the disco including psriches.

So thats not a good sign.

31. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSJ3 View Post
    psriches and I were in Sousa on Saturday and there were only 6 people in the disco including psriches.

So thats not a good sign.
    Several of the normal hang outs were unusually quiet this past weekend.

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,125 Times in 3,033 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Several of the normal hang outs were unusually quiet this past weekend.
    Your joint doing all right bro?

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CentralNJDude For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CentralNJDude View Post
    Your joint doing all right bro?
    Quiet as expected for June, but all good.

37. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

So I stopped by High Carib last Tuesday at 1am before I went to Playa Chiquita disco. I was the only customer there and they had about 15 employees on hand all bored out of their minds. I guess Ad saw the writing on the wall and bailed. I will say this, they did a lot of work in there and the place looks good. If they can just get the ball rolling the place has potential. Unfortunately I don't think It's going to last. How long can you pay a staff of 15 with no customers?

39. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information