Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06/2017 - Casa Cayana/Sosua Sunrise closing on June 15

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

06/2017 - Casa Cayana/Sosua Sunrise closing on June 15

I just received this email from Wilfried/Plaso.

Sosua Sunrise
    Farewell Message

Farewell from Sosua Sunrise -
    First, I send my warmest greetings to all my clients and friends. Let me say that I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity of offering to all of you the comfort and well being during your stays at the Hotel Sosua Sunrise.
    As you know the building was constructed over 30 years ago, and many of the furnishings are from the time of the original construction. This past year, we have received many comments and suggestions related to renovating the rooms and facilities. This past spring, we sent out a survey to over 2400 clients collecting your views on your priorities in any renewal plan.
    The rooms, bathrooms and common areas are what you said were most important to you.
    I own the hotel business; the building owner is our collaborator and I need him to be committed and to contribute to the renewal plan.
    During this spring, he reviewed the possibilities and the significant investment that would be necessary to accomplish the scope of renewal we felt was needed. Unfortunately, due to several factors he is unable to conclude the financing to launch the renewal project.
    Rather then continuing to operate in an infrastructure that no longer meets your needs, I decided that it is best to cease operations. This decision was not easy, but considering my continued commitment to you, my clients, and being in a situation where I believe it would be impossible to deliver the quality you expect, brought me to the conclusion that it is the only option.
    I will be closing June 15th meaning the last night of operation is June 14th.
    Moving forward, the building owner is hoping to have a new operator in place sometime soon.
    My plans are to take some vacation (my first in the last 4 years) and enjoy the warm weather, the beach and time with friends. You will most likely see me around if you are here in the coming months and please do not hesitate to stop and say hello. I appreciate the friendship that you have offered to me over all these years and I look forward to maintain them.
    And yes…. after my vacation, I will be looking to see if there are new opportunities here locally that would open the door to a new hotel where I can again offer to you the quality you have come to expect.
    Thank you again, and I will continue to keep you informed of news as we approach our closing day.
    Your friend
    Wilfried
    e-mail: plaso42008@yahoo.com
    Cel.: 829-279-6421

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Re: Casa Cayana/Sosua Sunrise closing on June 15

Yaroa - Casa Cayena - Sosua Sunrise

What a unique building. Demolishing an open restaurant patio for a parking space was the dumbest idea ever.

Spent there my first couple of years in town there, so it's always in my heart. Those first trips were absolutely remarkable. Am I going sentimental?
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Well written and I can understand where he is coming from. As far as the room goes, there a few things that are important to me.
    1) Working air conditioner
    2) Hot water & good water pressure in shower.
    3) Firm mattress
    4) Electronic safe
    5) Able to get wi fi at least on balcony.
    6) cable tv
    7) 3 or more towels.
    8) small fridge keep the beers cold.

As long as the above is in good working order, I can look past the room not being renovated. I did stay at Casa Cayana once and it was a good stay.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 1,244 Posts

Wilfried has always been good to me. I know he must have agonized over this decision. I wish him well!
    Beach Whore...looking for MORE!!

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to runmemphis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

The owner of the building should meet Wilfred half way with some improvements & renovations. The breakfast was good & I liked the pool area. Maybe the owner of building will come to his senses and make Wilford a last minute renovation offer.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

I have fond memories of this place. It was the first place I stayed at when I first visited Sosua in 2004. Ironically it was the last place i stayed at a couple of years ago before I gave up on Sosua and started going exclusively to Thailand for my winters.

In 2004 I was virtually new to the mongering game. I checked into Casa Cayena in the afternoon, dropped my bags in the room and went down to the hotel bar for a beer. Ten minutes later I had arranged to meet up with the bartender after she was done work later that night. That is when I decided this mongering business was not too difficult.

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

I hope Wilfried is able to find another place to provide his exemplary services

I would expect another opportunity to come his way in the future

It is sad that the ownership could not see his vision that things need to continue to improve.

It was a nice place
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Yaroa - Casa Cayena - Sosua Sunrise

Spent there my first couple of years in town there, so it's always in my heart. Those first trips were absolutely remarkable. Am I going sentimental?

We all do

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,120 Times in 1,332 Posts

Re: 06/2017 - Casa Cayana/Sosua Sunrise closing on June 15

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    I just received this email from Wilfried/Plaso.

Sosua Sunrise
    Farewell Message

This is such a disappointment! My crew and I have some very fond memories of our stays here. I will be looking forward to visiting Wilifred's next property.

Farewell from Sosua Sunrise -
    First, I send my warmest greetings to all my clients and friends. Let me say that I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity of offering to all of you the comfort and well being during your stays at the Hotel Sosua Sunrise.
    As you know the building was constructed over 30 years ago, and many of the furnishings are from the time of the original construction. This past year, we have received many comments and suggestions related to renovating the rooms and facilities. This past spring, we sent out a survey to over 2400 clients collecting your views on your priorities in any renewal plan.
    The rooms, bathrooms and common areas are what you said were most important to you.
    I own the hotel business; the building owner is our collaborator and I need him to be committed and to contribute to the renewal plan.
    During this spring, he reviewed the possibilities and the significant investment that would be necessary to accomplish the scope of renewal we felt was needed. Unfortunately, due to several factors he is unable to conclude the financing to launch the renewal project.
    Rather then continuing to operate in an infrastructure that no longer meets your needs, I decided that it is best to cease operations. This decision was not easy, but considering my continued commitment to you, my clients, and being in a situation where I believe it would be impossible to deliver the quality you expect, brought me to the conclusion that it is the only option.
    I will be closing June 15th meaning the last night of operation is June 14th.
    Moving forward, the building owner is hoping to have a new operator in place sometime soon.
    My plans are to take some vacation (my first in the last 4 years) and enjoy the warm weather, the beach and time with friends. You will most likely see me around if you are here in the coming months and please do not hesitate to stop and say hello. I appreciate the friendship that you have offered to me over all these years and I look forward to maintain them.
    And yes…. after my vacation, I will be looking to see if there are new opportunities here locally that would open the door to a new hotel where I can again offer to you the quality you have come to expect.
    Thank you again, and I will continue to keep you informed of news as we approach our closing day.
    Your friend
    Wilfried
    This is such a disappointment! My crew and I have some very fond memories of our stays here. I will be looking forward to visiting Wilifred's next property.
    Rent it, Don't buy it! There's no warranty.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BronxMoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

Too bad they couldn't at least keep the bar and restaurant open. Had some tasty meals in there in the past. And fondly remember a pool party that Seville coordinated with Wilifred, many Haitianas and gringos splashing around, finger foods, beers, music, had a blast.

Wilifred probably knows all the major players in town who are in the hospitality business and run the hotels. The man obviously knows customer service so after he takes himself a well deserved break to chill out for awhile, hopefully he will find himself another opportunity to run a hotel that might not be operating at it's full potential.

If you take a look, several hotels have upgraded, refurbished or been rebuilt in recent years. Whether any of those places would need him to be the manager or not, who can say? Maybe a smaller property outside the central downtown area could be a possibility?

I wish him well on whatever he decides.

19. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Too bad they couldn't at least keep the bar and restaurant open. Had some tasty meals in there in the past. And fondly remember a pool party that Seville coordinated with Wilifred, many Haitianas and gringos splashing around, finger foods, beers, music, had a blast.

Wilifred probably knows all the major players in town who are in the hospitality business and run the hotels. The man obviously knows customer service so after he takes himself a well deserved break to chill out for awhile, hopefully he will find himself another opportunity to run a hotel that might not be operating at it's full potential.

If you take a look, several hotels have upgraded, refurbished or been rebuilt in recent years. Whether any of those places would need him to be the manager or not, who can say? Maybe a smaller property outside the central downtown area could be a possibility?

I wish him well on whatever he decides.
    I still wait for the pictures

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Meat View Post
    The owner of the building should meet Wilfred half way with some improvements & renovations. The breakfast was good & I liked the pool area. Maybe the owner of building will come to his senses and make Wilford a last minute renovation offer.
    Anybody know who the owner is?

Please don't tell me it's a local who thinks they can continue on with the business Wilfred created.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 148 Posts

Thanks to all i met in last last couple of years.

Will stay in town and watch the scene and hope there will be a future for Sosua.

We keep in contact.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 205 Posts

Good luck in the future Plaso. We look forward to your next venture!!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to captain69 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Plaso View Post
    Thanks to all i met in last last couple of years.

Will stay in town and watch the scene and hope there will be a future for Sosua.

We keep in contact.

Keep logging on!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The restaurant is open (one of the girls there is a cutie)

There should be some renovations, but the hotel is open.

The owners are the same.

There is no website yet.

The new name should be Alicia Beach Hotel

Meanwhile you can book by calling Anastasiya at 849-654-1249

I spoke to her today, and it looks like she represents the management.

30. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

Has any one stayed here since Wilfried left?

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    The restaurant is open (one of the girls there is a cutie)

There should be some renovations, but the hotel is open.

The owners are the same.

There is no website yet.

The new name should be Alicia Beach Hotel

Meanwhile you can book by calling Anastasiya at 849-654-1249

I spoke to her today, and it looks like she represents the management.
    Just checked, out of curiosity ... and they have a new website ... https://hotelaliciabeach.com/
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Just checked, out of curiosity ... and they have a new website ... https://hotelaliciabeach.com/
    Read on the website, they clean the rooms every 3 days.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rahsta View Post
    Read on the website, they clean the rooms every 3 days.
    I didn't see that on hotelaliciabeach.com, but it is on their Airbnb page.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information