Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 03/2017 - Camaro's view of Ahnvee Resort, Sosua

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

03/2017 - Camaro's view of Ahnvee Resort, Sosua

Camaro's view of Ahnvee Resort, Sosua

Ahnvee resort is run by the former proprietor of Victoria House. The proprietor is also the owner of Bourbon Street restaurant on Pedro Clisante in Sosua. Ahmvee is located on the east end of Pedro Clisante toward Playa Chikita.

I know there has been some contention with Victoria House by some members but my experience has been over all positive. In fact when I did have problems they were rectified immediately. I have found the proprietor to be very approachable and accommodating and the concept of the resort interesting therefore I have been interested in spending some time there.

Below is a link to the web site:

https://www.ahnveeresort.com/

Also the link to el_papi_chew_low's report:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...esort-in-Sosua
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Last edited by camaro1257; 07-08-2017 at 12:37 AM.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Camaro's view of Ahnvee Resort, Sosua

Property

I found the property to be clean and the lawns well manicured. There appeared to be more than enough staff to attend to your needs as well as the maintenance needs of the property.

They are frequently running different types of specials.

When you arrive on the property there are gentlemen dressed in black who are obviously security they watched me like a hawk as I parked my vehicle. A bellman met me at my car and walked with me to the office to register and get settled in. The same gentleman accompanied me to my room with my bags.

There is a souvenir shop, an outdoor bar and a pavilion that is used for aerobics, dancing and outdoor entertainment.

Last edited by camaro1257; 07-08-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rooms

The are 4 categories of rooms which are as follows:

Jacuzzi Suite

Pool Suite:

Executive Suite:

Penthouse Suite:

The architecture of all of the suites is very modern but the challenge I had was the bathrooms are open and not separated by a door for privacy.

I opted for the Pool Suite which I thought was a very attractive room and a novel idea. I have stayed in many hotel rooms but never a hotel room with a pool. The pool has lights for illumination at night and seemed to be about 3 feet. Since the pool is small it was more for wading than swimming, off course if you desire to swim you could use the outdoor pool.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Restaurants

There are 3 restaurants on the property:

• Stix Asian Fusion Lounge - I was only at the hotel 1 day so I did not partake at this option perhaps on my next visit. Reservations are needed open from 6pm - 10pm.

• Crave Prime Steakhouse - I had dinner at this option and the food and service was great. Reservations are needed open from 6pm - 10pm.

• Roam Restaurant- This option is open 24 hours a day which is a great convenience.

Off property:

The restaurant option off property is Bourbon Street in downtown Sosua and transportation is provided to and from the hotel. I eat at Bourbon Street on a regular basis when I am in Sosua so I had no interest in going. My date was a non-pro so I felt it was a good idea to stay on property.

My meals:

Upon arrival I had fajitas for lunch at the 24 hour restaurant Roam.

For dinner I had as an appetizer beef sliders (small hamburgers) and my date had beef cigars (shredded beef in sauce wrapped in bread) at Crave Steakhouse.

The dinner main meal for me was ribeye steak and my date had the churrasco steak. Sorry I forgot to take a photo of the churrasco. I didn't care much for the sautéed potatoes but the steak was FANTASTIC. I don't eat much beef like I used to but the meat was tender and tasty. I tried the churasco but the ribeye was much better. They garnished the plate with a sweet tasting steak sauce which was very good also

For dessert I had a brownie which was good but it was missing ice cream.

The service was great at the steakhouse and my waiter was very attentive.

For breakfast the following day I had an American breakfast at restaurant Roam

Overall the dinning experience was great I was satisfied with everything I ate and I found the staff to be professional.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Are the basic rooms still $140 a night? Or did they come back down to earth?

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

Re: 03/2017 - Camaro's view of Ahnvee Resort, Sosua

How busy was the place?

last time I walked passed there it litterly looked like not a single person was staying there but that was shortly after it had opened
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,401 Times in 78,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    Property

I found the property to be clean and the lawns well manicured. There appeared to be more than enough staff to attend to your needs as well as the maintenance needs of the property.

Click to see pic

When you arrive on the property there are gentlemen dressed in black who are obviously security they watched me like a hawk as I parked my vehicle. A bellman met me at my car and walked with me to the office to register and get settled in. The same gentleman accompanied me to my room with my bags.

Click to see pic

Click to see picClick to see picClick to see pic
    There is a souvenir shop, an outdoor bar and a pavilion that is used for aerobics, dancing and outdoor entertainment.

Click to see pic

looks great

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    The price is for 2 people everything included so it's not expensive. But I don't think the price was ever $140...I could be wrong. I thought it was higher.....more around $189 although I heard that they have rooms for $119 for low season.

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Great info..thx Cam

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Review of Ahnvee Resort

Pricing:

I enjoyed my stay and I will likely return. I spoke with the proprietor and he advised they will be running specials that are very reasonable. I recently was at Casa de Campo in La Romana, I paid just under $200.00 per night; I paid the same at Ahnvee but got much more bang for my buck. First, I had the unique experience of the pool in the room and secondly I had access to 3 restaurants for 2 people. My date and I ate 3 times during our stay and the 24 hour restaurant Roam you can eat as often as you like.

I realize $200.00 a might is high by Dominican standards but IMHO it was worth it because of the uniqueness of the room the amenities and the dining options since the hotel stay was all inclusive.

With the specials prices for the rooms are fluxuating a room that is $200.00 now could be $150.00 later, you have to stay current with the wen site to stay abreast with the specials.

Restaurants & food options:

I enjoyed everything I ate and the wait staff was very professional. I ate at the steak house and the 24 hour restaurant but missed the Asian fusion restaurant which I will try on my next visit. Bourbon Street restaurant is available also but with everything available on property I saw no reason to go into Sosua to eat especially since Sosua provides a totally different ambiance than on the property at Ahnvee.

Since it is all inclusive you sign your check when you are done with your meal with your room number. I was unsure about the tipping policy but tips are appreciated for good service.

My room:

I had the pool suite which I enjoyed. Check in is at 3pm and I arrived at 3:30pm and the room was not ready for about an hour and half after I arrived. I spoke with the proprietor and he advised there is an extra layer of maintenance to the pool and Jacuzzi rooms because there are special items needed to keep them clean. The room was immaculate upon my arrival.

The air conditioner did have an adjustable thermostat but it felt like it had only one temperature cold so I turned it off and on in order to remain comfortable.

WIFI was available but I did not use it because I had my Orange hotspot and did not use my computer very much during my stay.

Other amenities:

Transportation is provided to and from Sosua as well as the airport although I did not partake do to the fact I drove. There is entertainment some nights but there was none the day I was there.

Conclusion:

Check in and check out was seamless and most of the staff speaks English. I enjoyed my stay and I am sure I will return soon.

18. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

You ExPat Pensioners apparently are living better than we had thought ...

$140 and $200 a night Hotels ..and not even All Inclusive , in the DR...?

Wow..... good for you .

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post
    You ExPat Pensioners apparently are living better than we had thought ...

$140 and $200 a night Hotels ..and not even All Inclusive , in the DR...?

Wow..... good for you .
    Ahnvee is all inclusive...

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to quietcorner911 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    IDK the prices are fluxuating it seems like there are new specials every other week.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    How busy was the place?

last time I walked passed there it litterly looked like not a single person was staying there but that was shortly after it had opened
    It wasn't busy at all, I only saw a half dozen other couples on the property when I was there. I was told it is busier during the weekends.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Thanks Cam. The location is not for the typical tourist imo, but could be a nice local 'get away' for couples. Intrigued a bit by the pics.

(The bathroom set up sounds challenging though. )

Appreciate the info.
    Vida es buena....

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,127 Times in 3,034 Posts

Hey Cam, do they lock you in with one guest that you have to register upfront or is there some flexibility?

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CentralNJDude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CentralNJDude View Post
    Hey Cam, do they lock you in with one guest that you have to register upfront or is there some flexibility?
    Curious about that myself ,, If its a True All Inclusive with all meals and Drinks included .. I would imagine they give you a Wristband and need to be checked in , no ?

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post
    Curious about that myself ,, If its a True All Inclusive with all meals and Drinks included .. I would imagine they give you a Wristband and need to be checked in , no ?
    Yes you sign in with a wrist band for you and your companion. I was told you can bring different people on the property however I have no idea how that works since I stayed with my date the entire time.

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,401 Times in 78,292 Posts

Property

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Click to see picClick to see picClick to see pic

Click to see pic

And this is why I will work until I have enough to retire, so I can stay in places like this.

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,369 Times in 13,904 Posts

Rooms

Pool Suite:

Click to see pic

Click to see pic
    I opted for the Pool Suite which I thought was a very attractive room and a novel idea. I have stayed in many hotel rooms but never a hotel room with a pool. The pool has lights for illumination at night and seemed to be about 3 feet. Since the pool is small it was more for wading than swimming, off course if you desire to swim you could use the outdoor pool.
    Neat!

Way back in the seventies, there were at least two cabana hotels in SD that had pools in their rooms. One was Presidente cabanas, and I don't remember the name of the other.

I don't think they got used much. The water was beyond cold.

Nice to see the option in this place. I'll definitely give it a shot.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information