Thread: 08/2017 - POP Cinemas, Playa Dorado - Puerto Plata

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

08/2017 - POP Cinemas, Playa Dorado - Puerto Plata

POP Cinemas, Playa Dorado - Puerto Plata

The only movie theater that I know of on the North Coast is located inside the Playa Dorada resort complex in Puerto Plata. The entrance of the complex is guarded by security with a gate and you simply need to tell the guard what your destination is and he will permit you entrance to the property.

The Playa Dorada resort complex has several resturants, a golf course, resorts and the Playa Dorada Mall

The mall includes several souvenir shops and restaurants.

I am not certain but I believe there are 3 theaters at POP Cinemas that show different features in both Spanish and English. Depending on the movie there are English or Spanish sub-titles.

There is a mini café with hot dogs, popcorn and candy. I was very disappointed there was no melted butter for the popcorn...where did I think I was back home?....lol!

I enjoyed the movie but one of the best things was tickets were 150 pesos the equivalent of $3.00US. The same tickets in the United States may be $20.00 or more.

My date included 2 tickets a large popcorn and drink and I spent less than $12.00 ...yessssssssssur you can't beat the value.

An excellent non-mongering activity

I recently got involved in a relationship and found this to be a decent non-mongering activity. Sometimes there are couples families and even groups of single ladies for those who are interested.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 20,452 Times in 1,785 Posts

Re: POP Cinemas, Playa Dorado - Puerto Plata

..............and Pizza Hut!!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shogun Warrior For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Warrior View Post

Can't forget the HUT!

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,120 Times in 1,332 Posts

Re: 08/2017 - POP Cinemas, Playa Dorado - Puerto Plata

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    POP Cinemas, Playa Dorado - Puerto Plata

The only movie theater that I know of on the North Coast is located inside the Playa Dorada resort complex in Puerto Plata. The entrance of the complex is guarded by security with a gate and you simply need to tell the guard what your destination is and he will permit you entrance to the property.

Click to see pic

The Playa Dorada resort complex has several resturants, a golf course, resorts and the Playa Dorada Mall

Click to see pic

The mall includes several souvenir shops and restaurants.

Click to see pic

I am not certain but I believe there are 3 theaters at POP Cinemas that show different features in both Spanish and English. Depending on the movie there are English or Spanish sub-titles.

Click to see pic
    Click to see pic

There is a mini café with hot dogs, popcorn and candy. I was very disappointed there was no melted butter for the popcorn...where did I think I was back home?....lol!

Click to see pic

I enjoyed the movie but one of the best things was tickets were 150 pesos the equivalent of $3.00US. The same tickets in the United States may be $20.00 or more.

My date included 2 tickets a large popcorn and drink and I spent less than $12.00 ...yessssssssssur you can't beat the value.

An excellent non-mongering activity

I recently got involved in a relationship and found this to be a decent non-mongering activity. Sometimes there are couples families and even groups of single ladies for those who are interested.
    Thank you so much Camaro! I have been wondering about this for ages!!! Right on the money, as always!
    Rent it, Don't buy it! There's no warranty.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BronxMoney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I went to the cinema at Playa Dorada once, with a former frequent poster here. We picked up two very pretty dominicanas but it soon became apparent they were well under age so we did the honorable thing and invited them to the movies instead.

It was one of the most horrendous experiences of my life. I only agreed to go because they were showing "Pride and Prejudice" but when it came to buying the tickets the girls railroaded us into "Final Destination 4" and the spineless Yank I was with caved in.

Predictably it was, if not the worst film I had ever seen, the worst I had paid money to see. But the real problem was the environment. The sound system was deafeningly loud and blurred, and the air-conditioning was either switched off or ineffective. The seats and aisles were awash with rubbish. We were among about ten in the audience until a group of about twenty burst in a third of the way through the film. Most of the guys were wearing motoconchista jackets so maybe it was their annual outing. They sat in different parts and shouted to each other, ran around and in and out, and threw popcorn about.

Since that day I have tried to avoid being trapped in an indoor environment with a bunch of Dominicans. The only occasion since was when a member invited me to a birthday party for his novia. These were more "middle-class" and educated Dominicans but their behavior was not a whole lot better. That time I was trapped by torrential rain and flooded streets until Siochana rescued me.

I understand they have refurbished the cinema since my visit. Pity they cannot refurbish the audience as well.

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I went to the cinema at Playa Dorada once, with a former frequent poster here. We picked up two very pretty dominicanas but it soon became apparent they were well under age so we did the honorable thing and invited them to the movies instead.

It was one of the most horrendous experiences of my life. I only agreed to go because they were showing "Pride and Prejudice" but when it came to buying the tickets the girls railroaded us into "Final Destination 4" and the spineless Yank I was with caved in.

Predictably it was, if not the worst film I had ever seen, the worst I had paid money to see. But the real problem was the environment. The sound system was deafeningly loud and blurred, and the air-conditioning was either switched off or ineffective. The seats and aisles were awash with rubbish. We were among about ten in the audience until a group of about twenty burst in a third of the way through the film. Most of the guys were wearing motoconchista jackets so maybe it was their annual outing. They sat in different parts and shouted to each other, ran around and in and out, and threw popcorn about.

Since that day I have tried to avoid being trapped in an indoor environment with a bunch of Dominicans. The only occasion since was when a member invited me to a birthday party for his novia. These were more "middle-class" and educated Dominicans but their behavior was not a whole lot better. That time I was trapped by torrential rain and flooded streets until Siochana rescued me.

I understand they have refurbished the cinema since my visit. Pity they cannot refurbish the audience as well.
    Sorry for your experience...

I experienced none of what you described. I saw Dunkirk which I thought was a great movie and my date followed the subtitles well. The audience was decent and the theater was comfortable. My only complaint was there was no butter for my popcorn...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Pizza Hut is long gone, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    We were among about ten in the audience until a group of about twenty burst in a third of the way through the film. Most of the guys were wearing motoconchista jackets so maybe it was their annual outing. They sat in different parts and shouted to each other, ran around and in and out, and threw popcorn about.
    That's why one should always go the the afternoon matinees. We go just about every weekend, and a crowded theater for us is more than 4-5 persons. Dominicans are definitely not matinee folks.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I did not see Pizza Hut in the complex but I know for certain there is a Pizza Hut in La Sirena as I have eaten there several times.
    Last edited by camaro1257; 08-04-2017 at 05:01 AM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Can't forget the HUT!

Pizza Hut has been closed for about 5 years.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

I did not see Pizza Hut in the complex but I now for certain there is a Pizza Hut in La Sirena as I have eaten there several times.
    Dominos is in La Sirena, not Pizza Hut.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    Dominos is in La Sirena, not Pizza Hut.
    Oooooops...you're right...sorry.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    Pizza Hut has been closed for about 5 years.

I been gone 11.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

All other threads in this North Coast Recreation section have been closed. I am not planning on paying a visit to the cinema, but days before my upcoming trip, I would appreciate some ideas of what to do in the daytime. Maybe there is something new, or maybe there was something you enjoyed recently and wanted to share. Any bachata or salsa classes in Sos.? Any new group tours? There is nothing wrong about the usual routine, but I like side trips.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    All other threads in this North Coast Recreation section have been closed. I am not planning on paying a visit to the cinema, but days before my upcoming trip, I would appreciate some ideas of what to do in the daytime. Maybe there is something new, or maybe there was something you enjoyed recently and wanted to share. Any bachata or salsa classes in Sos.? Any new group tours? There is nothing wrong about the usual routine, but I like side trips.

Puerto Plata ideas:

1. Teleferico

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Republic.html

2. Maimon had some of the best fish in the North Coast. There are half dozen restaurants on the Maimon strip of the Puerto Plata Navarette Highway

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Republic.html

3. La Sirena has a decent cafeteria, Dominoes pizza and ice cream shop and Walmart like shopping

https://web.facebook.com/pages/Multi...31?_rdc=1&_rdr

4. Helicopter ride, horseback riding etc.

https://www.viator.com/Puerto-Plata/...BoCA0YQAvD_BwE

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Sorry for your experience...

I experienced none of what you described. I saw Dunkirk which I thought was a great movie and my date followed the subtitles well. The audience was decent and the theater was comfortable. My only complaint was there was no butter for my popcorn...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    Yes, they refurbished the theatre. So it's a better experience. It used to be a sweat box back in the day. WSJ3 and I used to take dates there about 10 or 12 years ago and I imagine it was the equivalent to a 1930's movie going experience. And not to mention that the chicas were a little less in the know. I remember we took two chicas there and there were 3 movies showing. Two first run American movies and some local Dominican comedy. Can you believe that the chicas chose the local comedy. I remember my wingman being pissed, but we were on a date and decided to let the chicas choose what they wanted to watch.

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Yes, they refurbished the theatre. So it's a better experience. It used to be a sweat box back in the day. WSJ3 and I used to take dates there about 10 or 12 years ago and I imagine it was the equivalent to a 1930's movie going experience. And not to mention that the chicas were a little less in the know. I remember we took two chicas there and there were 3 movies showing. Two first run American movies and some local Dominican comedy. Can you believe that the chicas chose the local comedy. I remember my wingman being pissed, but we were on a date and decided to let the chicas choose what they wanted to watch.
    Wow I remember that. Damn we have been rolling for going on 20 years now.

Good times psriches.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSJ3 View Post
    Wow I remember that. Damn we have been rolling for going on 20 years now.

Good times psriches.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,120 Times in 1,332 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Pizza Hut is long gone, isn't it?

That's why one should always go the the afternoon matinees. We go just about every weekend, and a crowded theater for us is more than 4-5 persons. Dominicans are definitely not matinee folks.

Great intel! Evenings in the DR for me have a different type of activity planned....... Just sayin'

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BronxMoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 795 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    for English speaking people the best bet is Emily Whatson. She runs her dance academy near the la Mulata. her website www.emilywatsonschoolofdance.com gives you the infos and contacts. A private lesson is about 500 DOP
    For Spanish speaking people there are many teachers but your best bet is Ricardo ( you can find him at City Lights sometimes)
    follow my Negril trip report at http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429348-07-2014-I-am-back-in-the-saddle-again-El-Cristo-Negril-trip-report

Sometimes we fuck up...and life is so much better that way...

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Thread Information