Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 09/2017 - Hurricane Irma

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

Re: 09/2017 - Hurricane Irma

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    On the positive side, I see an opportunity to pick up a new sailboat, cheap, in Saint Martin....

Click to see pic
    Plenty of them down here in the Keys and Miami/Dade. Also Broward County and up all along the eastern seaboard. Let's not forget on the southern end of western SFL
    Cheaper airfare to get here

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,262 Times in 11,768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacknback View Post
    Plenty of them down here in the Keys and Miami/Dade. Also Broward County and up all along the eastern seaboard. Let's not forget on the southern end of western SFL
    Cheaper airfare to get here
    Mea culpa - I was being "a bit of a shit" with that post. Just something of a grim joke.

One of my favorite sailing writers, Fatty Goodlander, lost his boat (which was also his home) in Hurricane Hugo, I believe in St. Thomas, and found a replacement in the aftermath - a 38-footer that had gone aground on a reef, and had a big hole bashed in its hull. He paid $3000 for "Wild Card," worked for months to repair it, and sailed it twice around the world afterwards. So I know it can be done ... and I also know I'm not going to buy and repair a hurricane victim, because I'm just too fuckin' lazy to go through with it.

On the other hand, there are people who will rebuild those grounded, broken boats, or at least some of them. Others are going to get stripped of anything usable, and the hulks will be cut up for the landfill - or maybe cleaned up inside and sunk offshore as "artificial reefs," to provide bottom-structure for the fish and corals, and neat diving for the divers.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post
    Las Terrenas got hit pretty bad . There are some videos a guy took along the Punta Poppy beach Road .. Some Restaurants lost small buildings and roofs ,.. the road is a total mess.
    From the map it looks like the eye of the storm was really close to the Samana Peninsula as it passed .
    I'm sure my favorite spot in Las Galeras got hit hard .. as it sticks out like a Thumb with nothing at all protecting it . Although Fronton has Cliffs, but like Playita is completely open beach . Playa Rincon as well.. must be a total mess..
    Have not seen any pictures yet , but I am guessing that Area was hit the WORST on the whole Island , it had to .. nothing was closer to the Eye.

Just a Follow up..

Las Terrenas
    Seems the Powers that be ( minister of Tourism, et al) are now seizing this opportunity (damage from Irma i guess) to tear down ALL the Beach Bars from Las Ballenas ,all the way to Punta Popy ? (
    Holy Crap... this is Sad

Maybe XXX and others can chime in with more specifics , as he knows people on the ground in that area..

Protests are of course breaking out ? or they are burning Tires ? , who knows ..but its not good .

This could have implications for Sosua Beach Bars, I fear ..

just .02

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

finally got power back here in St Petersburg, FL....hooray.....though many neighbors do not...ugh
    the cleanup continues and wi have the sore backs now....ugh
    mi ran out of bread and a few other things...but still had plenty of food and water etc....
    mi was smart enuff not to have anything of substance in the freezer cause mi know it would have gone bad...
    learned mi lessons in Jamaica from when the current would go out..and loose all mi ice cream...lol
    tasted good tonight to have a cooked meal after 4 days of sandwiches...lol

mi head to Maine in two weeks to check on mi sister who has stage 4 lung cancer as some of you know...
    and then back to St Pete and rest up for another tour in Negril this Winter....
    if mi went back today....mi be in really good shape as mi have 6 or 7 girls that want to see mi....lol
    now mi will loose half of the current 6 or 7 to disappearances, pregnancy, new bf's and heaven forbid a JOB...lol
    so mi will continue to farm dem FB gurls...never ending if you want new punani....old punani not mi thing..ha ha

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Went to the bank today to get a little more money and my bank is still closed! The fucking guy right next door is selling fucking hamburgers and the ATM is working but they aren't open I wanted to get to my safe deposit box.
    Oh well, still got tomorrow and Saturday. Maybe them fucks at Chase will open.

I've got enough to get by in Angeles but I like to have a little more...just in case. I think I could pull another 25 or 30,000p out with the ATM card. I wanted at least 50,000p

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

went out for the first time yesterday PM and drove around....been almost a week since mi drove cause of Irma....
    overall the city is getting back in shape....every single house has piles of debris and branches curb side...
    Aldi had just opened up as they have been closed since last Saturday at 1pm....
    they didn't have any refrigerated or frozen goods to sell....listening to the Aldi employees chatting was interesting...
    they were saying corporate had decided that back up generators weren't needed for all their stores....
    employees were saying they bet that changes after the huge loss they took on spoiled goods....ouch
    went to Walmart and they had opened a day earlier and their refrigerated and frozen goods were about half of normal...
    dunno if Walmart has generators or not.....mi guessing they do from what mi could see with dem having ice cream, milk, etc....
    overall wi missed the bullet in St Pete....dayum close to loosing everything.....another 30 or 40mph of wind and it would have been curtains for us....

thinking about downsizing after all this...having a house and maintaining it and putting up with Hurricanes is something mi probably can do without at mi age.....
    especially considering mi spend half my time these days foreign......probably a little condo in concrete building with no lawn to mow sounds good to this guy.....
    still need a foot in Florida for medical and healthcare reasons.......dental is fine in Jamaica as are other things.....

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Heard from the Grapevine Sage got entangled in flying back and him stuck Sosua not bad place to be stuck...better than USA

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    went out for the first time yesterday PM and drove around....been almost a week since mi drove cause of Irma....
    overall the city is getting back in shape....every single house has piles of debris and branches curb side...
    Aldi had just opened up as they have been closed since last Saturday at 1pm....
    they didn't have any refrigerated or frozen goods to sell....listening to the Aldi employees chatting was interesting...
    they were saying corporate had decided that back up generators weren't needed for all their stores....
    employees were saying they bet that changes after the huge loss they took on spoiled goods....ouch
    went to Walmart and they had opened a day earlier and their refrigerated and frozen goods were about half of normal...
    dunno if Walmart has generators or not.....mi guessing they do from what mi could see with dem having ice cream, milk, etc....
    overall wi missed the bullet in St Pete....dayum close to loosing everything.....another 30 or 40mph of wind and it would have been curtains for us....

thinking about downsizing after all this...having a house and maintaining it and putting up with Hurricanes is something mi probably can do without at mi age.....
    especially considering mi spend half my time these days foreign......probably a little condo in concrete building with no lawn to mow sounds good to this guy.....
    still need a foot in Florida for medical and healthcare reasons.......dental is fine in Jamaica as are other things.....
    I was watching interviews of Key West residents last night who decided to stay and ride out the storm.

Most said they were scared out of their wits, and had absolutely no idea how strong a hurricane could be. I've rode through some pretty strong winds myself, and to say it's terrifying really doesn't do justice to how it feels. All of them said "never again."

You pretty much need a reinforced concrete box with no windows if you want to survive one.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I was watching interviews of Key West residents last night who decided to stay and ride out the storm.

Most said they were scared out of their wits, and had absolutely no idea how strong a hurricane could be. I've rode through some pretty strong winds myself, and to say it's terrifying really doesn't do justice to how it feels. All of them said "never again."

You pretty much need a reinforced concrete box with no windows if you want to survive one.
    Something I heard of from a fellow at the marina, a few days before Irma hit Florida ... "hurricane windows" made with impact-resistant glass. He said his mother had them installed on her house down there, and the contractor said, "Don't get locked out, because you won't be able to break these windows to get in!"

Still, the safest place to be in a hurricane is ELSEWHERE, at least a thousand miles away.

That can be expensive, though, especially if you're making a last-minute flight change from Manila to Bangkok.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Something I heard of from a fellow at the marina, a few days before Irma hit Florida ... "hurricane windows" made with impact-resistant glass. He said his mother had them installed on her house down there, and the contractor said, "Don't get locked out, because you won't be able to break these windows to get in!"

Still, the safest place to be in a hurricane is ELSEWHERE, at least a thousand miles away.

That can be expensive, though, especially if you're making a last-minute flight change from Manila to Bangkok.
    Lots of folks here have the electric roll down metal doors or corrugated panels that slide into a track.

With those hurricane windows, I'd be worried about them getting blown out of their mounting screws.

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

yeah mi was psych out from around 8pm to midnight.....every 30 to 60 seconds der be another huge wind gusts...
    and you were praying that it wouldn't be any stronger than the last one....true
    leading up to 8pm mi was thinking mi could survive this Irma no problem....At 8pm all bets were off.....
    especially when some wind gusts made the whole house shake like an earthquake was happening...ugh

"never again" sounds good to mi......

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    yeah mi was psych out from around 8pm to midnight.....every 30 to 60 seconds der be another huge wind gusts...
    and you were praying that it wouldn't be any stronger than the last one....true
    leading up to 8pm mi was thinking mi could survive this Irma no problem....At 8pm all bets were off.....
    especially when some wind gusts made the whole house shake like an earthquake was happening...ugh

"never again" sounds good to mi......
    Yep, kinda like a "screeching uncontrollable roar" that you can feel in your bones.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Heard from the Grapevine Sage got entangled in flying back and him stuck Sosua not bad place to be stuck...better than USA
    him probably stuck in bed with some hotties......lol

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Yes, I'm stuck. Damn AA flight to Miami hasn't flown here since last Wednesday. Not a bad place to be stuck, but there's a limit to how much fun a fellow can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post

28. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    Yes, I'm stuck. Damn AA flight to Miami hasn't flown here since last Wednesday. Not a bad place to be stuck, but there's a limit to how much fun a fellow can have.
    Do you need us to send Western Union?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Lots of folks here have the electric roll down metal doors or corrugated panels that slide into a track.

With those hurricane windows, I'd be worried about them getting blown out of their mounting screws.
    Good point ... they might be stronger than the structure.

Here's an example from a manufacturer's website ... the outer pane of glass is laminated with an inner membrane of strong, clear plastic. They mounted it on a pressure-chamber, launched a 9-pound bar at it (simulating a wind-blown 2x4), and rattled it by pressurizing/depressurizing the chamber to simulate those pounding, howling wind-gusts ... the glass itself shattered, but the membrane held up.

If I were planning to move to hurricane country, I'd be thinking in terms of something like this ... in a house built of concrete blocks.

Irma took some sheen off my old dreams of moving to some Caribbean paradise....
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Do you need us to send Western Union?

I could use $20.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I could use $20.
    I could use $20 but with a lot of zeroes added on
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I could use $20.
    Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    I could use $20 but with a lot of zeroes added on
    So could we all.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I gotta tell you...it was a scary fucking 2 days!!! I would venture to say it was the scariest time I've ever experienced weather wise.

There were times the wind was blowing so hard that I was asking myself what I was going to do if the windows blew in.

When the gusts came the grass would literally lay over flat. I'm not talking tall grass here. I'm talking regular home lawn size grass.3 maybe 4 inches high and being laid flat to the ground. You could watch it go over and as the wind dispersed comeback up. It was something I had never seen before.

Like probably everyone here I've been through my share of storms. This was the scariest one ever for me,

40. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information