Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 01/2018 - The Saga Continues Camaro 2018.

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Re: 01/2018 - The Saga Continues Camaro 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    The turistas are looking better than the chicas de calle.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Surgery in Sosua

Sosua is not like Medellin with all the enhanced chicas but more and more chicas are being enhanced.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    • File Type: jpg b1.jpg (214.0 KB, 980 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg b2.jpg (159.5 KB, 955 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg b3.jpg (53.8 KB, 916 vistas)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

Cam with the on site reporting
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to El-Rey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 290 Posts

All I got to say is,YUCK!!! Sosua has diminished greatly since my first trip in 2006. I still go there and manage to find a gem. But it is getting far and few in between every time I go down there.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Al Nyc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,078 Posts

As long as gems are there, all is good.

Need to weed out more gorda's but I always found something when I was in the mood.... only need one.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to distantvoyeur For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

El Chivo de Sosua

El Chivo is campaigning for Mayor of Sosua

After campaigning to potential voters it's time to take a fiesta

El Chivo for Mayor...he's got my vote...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Anecdotal Observation

Recently I has a session with a Puerto Plata barrio chic. I was very explicit with what I wanted and she agreed after extensive discussions. When she came over she reneged on our agreement and because I was in my place and didn't want any drama I kept my part of the bargain although she did not keep her part. This situation caused me to reflect on some of the other experiences I have had living here.

I have noticed a pattern, many of the Dominicans I have come in contact with lack the integrity that I am accustomed to. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, however if I say something I have every intention of doing what I said I was going to do unless there a legitimate circumstances that cause me to change course.

This situation is not the first time someone has agreed to very clear and specific terms but not kept their word. When I purchased my truck the person I bought it from agreed to specific mechanical issues being repaired. On the day of the sale I neglected to confirm the issues were resolved and later I discovered what was agreed upon was not done.

What I have discovered is it is common here to make an agreement for the objective of attaining short term gain. In the case of the aforementioned chica I gave her what I agreed upon, but she is not likely to see any more money from me going forward. Therefore she got a short term gain but her actions have caused her to miss out on long term gain.

This situation reminds me of the idiom "action speaks louder than words." In order to have an agreement you need the word of two parties, however unfortunately you do not know if the person you made the agreement with will keep their word until AFTER the agreement has been made.

Lack of integrity is not a uniquely Dominican problem. I realize it can happen wherever I find myself. It is not that I did not encounter a lack of integrity in the United States or the other countries to which I have travelled, it just seems to be a common pattern I am encountering here. I have met people here who fiercely keep their word and are very reliable; I treasure those encounters.

I walk away with a lesson learned that I need to continue to be clear as to my expectations and pay more attention to what people do than what they say.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

La Sirena & Jumbo - Puerto Plata

There are 3 major food chains in Puerto Plata, La Sirena, Jumbo and Jose Luis. La Sirena has an extensive history in Puerto Plata and I used them almost exclusively until Jumbo opened within the last few months. As long as I have lived in Puerto Plata I have never set foot in Jose Luis so I cannot speak on what it has to offer.

La Sirena

Both La Sirena and Jumbo have groceries, clothing, hardware and electronics like mini Department stores. The major difference for me has been La Sirena's full kitchen and cafeteria. Jumbo has a small kitchen and the make pizza sandwhiches and some hot foods but they do not have an extensive kitchen and cafeteria with salad bar etc. You can get a decent meal at La Sirena for 300 pesos which makes a great lunch or dinner option.

Jumbo

Jumbo has a small seating area for snacking but not a large seating area like La Sirena. Ingress and egress is a little more difficult at Jumbo than La Sirena. In the beginning there was no traffic light at the entrance and exit of Jumbo which made for a traffic nightmare; now there not only are traffic lights but also a camera however I have no idea if the camera actually works because occasionally I see people still running the light at both the entrance and exit.

Price comparison

Regardless as to which store you choose you can easily spend a fortune. For example:

Haagan-Dazs at La Sirena was 625 pesos or $13.00

Haagan-Dazs at Jumbo was a little less 599 pesos.

Prices between both stores are comparable. La Sirena has a rewards program where the scan a ID card you are issued that gives you money back off future purchases. Jumbo has sale days when certain items are slashed up to 30% off.

Interesting food item such as salmon ranged from 500 - 1000 pesos depending on the cut. Most restaurants I have been to charge the same between 500-1000 pesos for a salmon dinner so in that case you are better off eating out than purchasing salmon and eating it at home unless you simply don't like eating out.

Conclusion

I prefer La Sirena only because of it's cafeteria and kitchen. Prices are comparable at both locations however Jumbo's fruit and vegetables seemed to be fresher and more varied than La Sirena. Therefore I will be visiting both stores depending on what I am looking for.

I find the cost of U.S. brand items can be 10-30% higher than in the United States due to those items having to be imported and those cost are passed on to the consumer. If you are not careful you can drop a bank roll shopping at these 2 stores so if you are on a budget you need to mindful of what you are spending. In my case I am trying to eat healthy and steer away from the high starch Dominican diet so a place with fresh fruits and vegetables is right up my alley.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Puerto Plata Navarette Hwy

When I first arrived in the Dominican Republic I was paranoid about driving and I subsequently discovered there is good cause for that paranoia. Despite the risk in driving here I feel like not having my own transportation would be like a eagle without wings. I enjoy the freedom driving provides. There are times when I am bored I pack a bag and I am off.

The main route between Puerto Plata and Santiago is the Puerto Plata Navarette Hwy. It is a 2 lane road that is currently under construction to widen the road. It is best not to drive at night not only because of the contruction but as you can see in the below photo there are barriers to the right side of the driver and the road currently is very narrow.

There are some sections where it is literally a 1 lane road due to construction

It's a scary thought to think I might get run off the road giving how crazy some Dominicans drive

One of the scariest things to see is an oncoming car approaching you in your lane on a two lane road when you have no place to go other than strike a barrier, bridge abutment or ditch.

Yes, and I don't smoke...haaaaaaaaaaaa!

It's really going to be interesting to see how they widen the road in Maimon where all the fish restaurants are and the tunnel just outside of Santiago.

It is a BLESSING to see this sight when I am driving to Santiago. The Santiago - Navarette junction is where the road changes from a 2 lane terrible highway to a 4 lane highway that is comparable to Interstates in the United States.

I can save a ton of money by not driving to Santo Domingo because of the distance and fuel consumption however the Santiago trip is about even in terms of cost between driving and using public transportation.

Everybody has their own driving temperament but personally I do not rejoice in driving on 2 lane roads that are crumbling and having to dodge oncoming traffic in my lane. I am eager to see what the Puerto Plata Navarette Hwy looks like when they are complete.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (201.6 KB, 319 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (197.7 KB, 334 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (191.4 KB, 330 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (203.9 KB, 327 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (121.1 KB, 313 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (201.4 KB, 322 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (204.4 KB, 323 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (208.8 KB, 319 vistas)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tenga Cuidado

The person on the right is a Sosua chic that can be seen in Merengue and Classicos on a regular basis. The person on the left is trans-gendered I have no idea how deep they are into the process but if you ever get a chance to look at them up close the person has obvious masculine features.

Tenga cuidado there are a few obvious males working the strip in Sosua...play at your own risk...

Thanks

Tenga Cuidado

The person on the right is a Sosua chic that can be seen in Merengue and Classicos on a regular basis. The person on the left is trans-gendered I have no idea how deep they are into the process but if you ever get a chance to look at them up close the person has obvious masculine features.

Click to see pic

Tenga cuidado there are a few obvious males working the strip in Sosua...play at your own risk...
    As they say in Thailand ...

"Katoey!" --
    "Gesundheit!"

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tenga Cuidado

Click to see pic

Another one...

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Malecon -Puerto Plata

The Malecon is the auto-pista the runs east to west on the north side of Puerto Plata facing the beach and the Atlantic Ocean. The are small outside restaurants called cassetas on the north side and on the south side there are restaurants bars and clubs.

Miami is one of the featured clubs on the south side it is an outdoor venue with big screen TV for videos and indoor venue

• File Type: jpg 1.jpg (227.5 KB, 307 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (230.2 KB, 314 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (235.2 KB, 311 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (203.0 KB, 300 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (203.3 KB, 307 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (222.6 KB, 310 vistas)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Malecon -Puerto Plata

The Malecon is the auto-pista the runs east to west on the north side of Puerto Plata facing the beach and the Atlantic Ocean. The are small outside restaurants called cassetas on the north side and on the south side there are restaurants bars and clubs.

Click to see picClick to see picClick to see pic

Miami is one of the featured clubs on the south side it is an outdoor venue with big screen TV for videos and indoor venue

Malecon Continued

The only 4 star hotels in the Puerto Plata area are the resorts. There are several 1 and 2 star hotels scattered throughout the city. The most famous is Lorimar which the last I looked didn't even have a web site.

Puerto Plata is a city of over 100,000 and the only fire house I am aware of is the fire house on the Malecon. God help us if there is a multiple alarm fire.

La Sirena has easy access do to being on the Malecon

• File Type: jpg 4.jpg (199.8 KB, 311 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (216.2 KB, 292 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (226.5 KB, 296 vistas)

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Malecon -Puerto Plata

Is this the one with the orange sinks in the washroom, where many chicas take their selfies?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    Is this the one with the orange sinks in the washroom, where many chicas take their selfies?

Click to see pic
    No, that is Chalo's on Calle Diez y Seis it's right around the corner from the Malecon.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Malecon -Puerto Plata

Malecon

There are a few decent restaurants on the south side of the Malecon. Aqua Cero, Casa Mia & Tam Tam all have indoor and outdoor seating where you can enjoy the breeze off the Atlantic Ocean

I saw a long time Sosua street rat at Tam Tam when I was eating breakfast I see she got promoted from the mean streets of Sosua...haaaaaaaaaa!

The Malecon is a primary meeting place on Sunday nights when traffic galore can be seen people drinking and music blasting.
    • File Type: jpg 8b.jpg (208.2 KB, 300 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 8a.jpg (222.1 KB, 556 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (212.7 KB, 301 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (205.5 KB, 296 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 12.jpg (214.1 KB, 313 vistas)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Orange is now Altice

There are two main cell phone providers in the Dominican Republic, Claro & Orange.

It can be debated but IMHO Claro has better service but Orange has better prices. I have a plan which includes my cell phone and a internet hot box which I pay monthly. I spent the entire month of November last year in the United States so I did not pay my bill while I was away. When I returned to the Dominican Republic I searched for an Orange store so I could pay my bill and guess what...GUESS?...There was NO Orange store to be found WTF?

I did not get the memo that Orange changed it's name to Altice. Every location that I went to looking for the familiar Orange sign was now a black sign saying Altice.

This is an FYI for those who do not already know Orange is now Altice.

Thanks

Orange is now Altice

There are two main cell phone providers in the Dominican Republic, Claro & Orange.

Click to see pic

It can be debated but IMHO Claro has better service but Orange has better prices. I have a plan which includes my cell phone and a internet hot box which I pay monthly. I spent the entire month of November last year in the United States so I did not pay my bill while I was away. When I returned to the Dominican Republic I searched for an Orange store so I could pay my bill and guess what...GUESS?...There was NO Orange store to be found WTF?

I did not get the memo that Orange changed it's name to Altice. Every location that I went to looking for the familiar Orange sign was now a black sign saying Altice.

This is an FYI for those who do not already know Orange is now Altice.
    So in other words, Black is the new Orange.

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Happy Birthday Bar, Sosua

I celebrated Tiger's 64th birthday at Happy Birthday Bar

30. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information