Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 01/2018 - The Saga Continues Camaro 2018.

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

Re: 01/2018 - The Saga Continues Camaro 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    Foreign Tax Credit

Attachment 151340

I do not believe I am eligible do to the fact I paid no income tax to a foreign government that I can deduct. However Mr. Happy advised that if you live abroad for over 300 days your first $90,000.00 is tax free. I have already filed so I will investigate next year.
    It was 27 years ago which means the law could have changed and that my memory might be shady but I think that I was exempt from paying US taxes on foreign earnings under (then) $70,000 in net (post tax in the other country) earnings. I believe you were correct.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by realkewl View Post
    I would be curious to know more about ex-pat not being granted access into the DR, or being deported. Does anybody know of a pattern that is being used? And for extended stay does anybody know what is too long to stay that could flag you for being denied re-entry? Also, could it be the airport that you enter from...

Thanks,
    Peace...
    Screenshot_2018-05-04-10-17-39.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-04-10-17-57.png

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico View Post
    It was 27 years ago which means the law could have changed and that my memory might be shady but I think that I was exempt from paying US taxes on foreign earnings under (then) $70,000 in net (post tax in the other country) earnings. I believe you were correct.
    To be exempt, you need to be working for a foreign corporation, living in a foreign country almost the entire year and paying income taxes in that country. The income tax exemption is based on the money the foreign corporation pays you in the form of salary, commissions and or bonus and reported to the foreign government. You would still have to pay to the US government social security tax for yourself and the social security tax a company in the usa would normally have to match, which combined would total about 4.5% or something in that range.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have not seen or heard of any gringos being turned away at the airport in Puerto Plata for exceeding their prior tourist card/visa stay in the DR. Like many laws on the books, it depends on what is being enforced at the time. This is something new so it may be enforced in the future. What I can see so far is that if your stay does not exceed 60 days, you are ok. I think in the future, there may be a business offering border runs if this law gets enforced in the future. Something to keep our eye on for sure.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

A message from an ex-pat

Last summer they did something like this in the Puerto Plata area but it only lasted for 2 weeks.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Dominican Cupid

I am currently working Dominican Cupid which is a numbers game but I wanted to share a recent encounter which can give you an idea of what I am dealing with

Screenshot_20180505-191105.png

Many people say there is an advantage in living in the Dominican Republic and sometimes it is but then again sometimes it's not...

Screenshot_20180505-191029.png

Clearly this chics objective is to find a gringo who lives abroad get a visa and GTFO of the Dominican Republic. At first these types of messages used to make me feel some kind of way, but the more I live here the more I understand why some Dominicans would rather live somewhere else.

I ask people about their employment status frequently and about 50% of the time they say they are unemployed. Those who have work earn between 7-15,000 pesos which is basically less than $300.00 a month. For women sometimes they have to do sexual favors just to maintain menial employment.

Even once they get the University education and acquire the skills for their desired profession there is still no guarantee they will get the job they desire. I can clearly see how many have lost hope in this system and look for opportunities else where.

I have no intention of providing a visa but now I understand the reason for the sentiment...I really can't blame a Dominican for not wanting to live in their country...

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 607 Posts

Dominican Cupid

I am currently working Dominican Cupid which is a numbers game but I wanted to share a recent encounter which can give you an idea of what I am dealing with

Screenshot_20180505-191105.png

Many people say there is an advantage in living in the Dominican Republic and sometimes it is but then again sometimes it's not...

Screenshot_20180505-191029.png

Clearly this chics objective is to find a gringo who lives abroad get a visa and GTFO of the Dominican Republic. At first these types of messages used to make me feel some kind of way, but the more I live here the more I understand why some Dominicans would rather live somewhere else.

I ask people about their employment status frequently and about 50% of the time they say they are unemployed. Those who have work earn between 7-15,000 pesos which is basically less than $300.00 a month. For women sometimes they have to do sexual favors just to maintain menial employment.

Even once they get the University education and acquire the skills for their desired profession there is still no guarantee they will get the job they desire. I can clearly see how many have lost hope in this system and look for opportunities else where.

I have no intention of providing a visa but now I understand the reason for the sentiment...I really can't blame a Dominican for not wanting to live in their country...
    It could also mean that she has somebody (very likely, like 110%) in the Dominican Republic and she is looking for a Western Union kind of guy (or guys) who would visit DR a couple of times a year.

By the way, by the look of her picture, she doesn't seem like an acceptable wife material, but she would be fine as a pay as you go!

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Maretti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Puerto Plata Navarette Hwy

When I first arrived in the Dominican Republic I was paranoid about driving and I subsequently discovered there is good cause for that paranoia. Despite the risk in driving here I feel like not having my own transportation would be like a eagle without wings. I enjoy the freedom driving provides. There are times when I am bored I pack a bag and I am off.

The main route between Puerto Plata and Santiago is the Puerto Plata Navarette Hwy. It is a 2 lane road that is currently under construction to widen the road. It is best not to drive at night not only because of the contruction but as you can see in the below photo there are barriers to the right side of the driver and the road currently is very narrow.

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

There are some sections where it is literally a 1 lane road due to construction

Click to see pic

It's a scary thought to think I might get run off the road giving how crazy some Dominicans drive

Click to see pic

One of the scariest things to see is an oncoming car approaching you in your lane on a two lane road when you have no place to go other than strike a barrier, bridge abutment or ditch.

Click to see pic

Yes, and I don't smoke...haaaaaaaaaaaa!

Click to see pic

It's really going to be interesting to see how they widen the road in Maimon where all the fish restaurants are and the tunnel just outside of Santiago.

Click to see pic

It is a BLESSING to see this sight when I am driving to Santiago. The Santiago - Navarette junction is where the road changes from a 2 lane terrible highway to a 4 lane highway that is comparable to Interstates in the United States.

Click to see pic

I can save a ton of money by not driving to Santo Domingo because of the distance and fuel consumption however the Santiago trip is about even in terms of cost between driving and using public transportation.

Everybody has their own driving temperament but personally I do not rejoice in driving on 2 lane roads that are crumbling and having to dodge oncoming traffic in my lane. I am eager to see what the Puerto Plata Navarette Hwy looks like when they are complete.
    Hey Cam, this is the one I don't understand. They are widening that stretch between the edge of Puerto plata (where the cabanas are), passed the cruise ship dock, through Maimon? For one, there's no land to push back the fish spots, meaning they'll get ride of them? And two, that stretch from start to finish is only about a 7 or 8 minute drive. What purpose will that serve? Am I applying to much logic, or is there something i'm missing?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Hey Cam, this is the one I don't understand. They are widening that stretch between the edge of Puerto plata (where the cabanas are), passed the cruise ship dock, through Maimon? For one, there's no land to push back the fish spots, meaning they'll get ride of them? And two, that stretch from start to finish is only about a 7 or 8 minute drive. What purpose will that serve? Am I applying to much logic, or is there something i'm missing?
    I don't understand it either, I have seen the backside of most of those pescaderias and you are correct there isn't much space back there. I have no idea what they are going to do?

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't understand it either, I have seen the backside of most of those pescaderias and you are correct there isn't much space back there. I have no idea what they are going to do?
    I'm wondering if they squeezed more money out of the Cruise Ship deal and now they're obligated to fake some sort of infrastructure project related to the dock??

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The plan has been to make the entire road between Puerto Plata and Santiago 4 lane. That road is the only major road between the two cities and used by trucks that have a hard time getting up and down the hills creating traffic slow-downs. They also think that tourists will get a better impression of the DR if they see a modern 4-lane road between the cruise terminal and Puerto Plata as most excursions will go that way.

By the way, there is another road called the Touristic route that is being renovated and expected to be completed by February 2019. That road is located between Sosua and Puerto Plata and will go toward the Santiago airport. It is expected to cut or shave off the travel time between the Santaigo airport and Sosua down 20 to 30 minutes (making it an hour ride or so?) and will make the Santiago Airport an even more viable potential choice for people going to the North Coast.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    The plan has been to make the entire road between Puerto Plata and Santiago 4 lane. That road is the only major road between the two cities and used by trucks that have a hard time getting up and down the hills creating traffic slow-downs. They also think that tourists will get a better impression of the DR if they see a modern 4-lane road between the cruise terminal and Puerto Plata as most excursions will go that way.

By the way, there is another road called the Touristic route that is being renovated and expected to be completed by February 2019. That road is located between Sosua and Puerto Plata and will go toward the Santiago airport. It is expected to cut or shave off the travel time between the Santaigo airport and Sosua down 20 to 30 minutes (making it an hour ride or so?) and will make the Santiago Airport an even more viable potential choice for people going to the North Coast.
    Understood but we still can't figure out what they are going to do with the pescadadarias in Maimon, there doesn't appear to be any place to move the restaurants. They provide a lot of jobs for that community.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Understood but we still can't figure out what they are going to do with the pescadadarias in Maimon, there doesn't appear to be any place to move the restaurants. They provide a lot of jobs for that community.
    Yes Hopefully they will expand the road toward the in-land side of the road and not along the sea side... Like Sosua, I do not think the Govt. cares that much for general businesses unless the community protests and disrupts traffic or something.

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow, when will that be completed? It's been over two years of construction and there's not even 30 seconds of highway finished.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Are you talking about the mountain road? The entrance at the cruce de sabaneta (edge of cabarete)? It goes through the mountains pass Jamao and exits in Moca? Puts you in the back of the airport.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,367 Times in 205 Posts

Tha Carretera Turistico leaves highway 5 at the Gran Parada, the triangle between Playa Dorada and Montellano where the road makes a 90 degree turn. Took a ride on the northern end of this road earlier this week and it is really improved. Should not take longer than an hour to cover the 46 kilometers to Santiago now. With the road complete next year travel time to Santiago will be under 45 minutes. Amazing improvment!!!

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to captain69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captain69 View Post
    Tha Carretera Turistico leaves highway 5 at the Gran Parada, the triangle between Playa Dorada and Montellano where the road makes a 90 degree turn. Took a ride on the northern end of this road earlier this week and it is really improved. Should not take longer than an hour to cover the 46 kilometers to Santiago now. With the road complete next year travel time to Santiago will be under 45 minutes. Amazing improvment!!!
    Ahh, yes, the old mountain road. So this will now connect with the Santiago bypass (circunvalacion) and can leave you right by the airport. So you no longer have to go west (through pop traffic), then south, then back east. And it will all be on nicely paved roads. Wow, nice!!!!

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information