Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 08/2018 - DR slang -> mol

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Re: 08/2018 - DR slang -> mol

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Your English is as good as anyone's. Have you managed to work your way through Crio? It's like abbreviated French and I understand most of what I read but to hear it spoken, I can't make the connection.

ou pral fè sa ki mal = vous allez dans le mauvais sens

No Spanish is a handful for me...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camaro1257 View Post
    No Spanish is a handful for me...
    Spanish language should be a mandatory scholastic requirement in the USA. It's the majority language of the Western Hemisphere and without it, we're socially and economically isolated in our own back yard.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,474 Times in 2,511 Posts

Spanish language should be a mandatory scholastic requirement in the USA. It's the majority language of the Western Hemisphere and without it, we're socially and economically isolated in our own back yard.
    I sure wish this was the mindset when I was a kid. I view truly bi-lingual people fluent in English and Spanish with a special kind of wonder/admiration/jealous rage LOL

Those who can jump effortlessly between the two have a specially wired brain. I think that the only reliable way to get this, is learning at a young age. And the most amazing part of this is that once that brain connection is made, it's much easier to add more languages. I also can get a bit "ragey" when I reflect over my choice to study Latin in school for years.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to minkyboodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minkyboodle View Post
    I sure wish this was the mindset when I was a kid. I view truly bi-lingual people fluent in English and Spanish with a special kind of wonder/admiration/jealous rage LOL

Those who can jump effortlessly between the two have a specially wired brain. I think that the only reliable way to get this, is learning at a young age. And the most amazing part of this is that once that brain connection is made, it's much easier to add more languages. I also can get a bit "ragey" when I reflect over my choice to study Latin in school for years.

I had visited the DR several times in my early 40's and knew nothing past 'hola' more or less. I decided to take a night class at the local community college to start learning. 8 weeks, one night a week, and a second course a bit later.......and it started simply.

Living here now definitely accelerated my ability to speak a bit more fluently, although I like to say at about the third grade level. I've had a few locals tell me I speak it very well for a gringo. That strokes the ego a bit, but the speed at which they blurt it out is definitely a challenge. Same for them when we speak English, as I've learned.

Take me the first steps and at least basic communication will improve. Trust me......it's worth it.
    Last edited by Irie; 08-25-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    Vida es buena....

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,474 Times in 2,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    I had visited the DR several times in my early 40's and knew nothing last 'hola' more or less. I decided to take a night class at the local community college to start learning. 8 weeks, one night a week, and a second course a bit later.......and it started simply.

Living here now definitely accelerated my ability to speak a bit more fluently, although I like to say at about the third grade level. I've had a few locals tell me I speak it very well for a gringo. That strokes the ego a bit, but the speed at which they blurt it out is definitely a challenge. Same for them when we speak English, as I've learned.

Take me the first steps and at least basic communication will improve. Trust me......it's worth it.
    I appreciate this post! I have signed up for a class. My issue is no time with work currently, but I'm hoping that will improve in the near future when a project I'm working finished

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to minkyboodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

I had visited the DR several times in my early 40's and knew nothing last 'hola' more or less. I decided to take a night class at the local community college to start learning. 8 weeks, one night a week, and a second course a bit later.......and it started simply.

That is the key seems to me. Immersion where you have to learn it. Us 2 week millionaires makes it lot tougher...yeah I suck....

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I appreciate this post! I have signed up for a class. My issue is no time with work currently, but I'm hoping that will improve in the near future when a project I'm working finished
    If time is an issue get a book explaining spanish verbs and learn the basics.....to want, to need, to eat, to drink, to go, to say; well you get the idea. Once you know 10-15 verbs and a few other simple tricks you'll be surprised how much you can actually communicate to someone.
    Enjoy it while you can.

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    That is the key seems to me. Immersion where you have to learn it. Us 2 week millionaires makes it lot tougher...yeah I suck....
    Immersion helps tremendously, but for about two years prior to moving here it was steadily getting a bit better. Probably Kindergarten, but hey......it was better than nothing. I also listened to a lot of Spanish music when in the states. Definitely helps reinforce what is already learned.

As as we all know, the benefits are priceless.

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    If time is an issue get a book explaining spanish verbs and learn the basics.....to want, to need, to eat, to drink, to go, to say; well you get the idea. Once you know 10-15 verbs and a few other simple tricks you'll be surprised how much you can actually communicate to someone.

I couldnt agree more. 10-15 or even around 7. This is key. My night class teacher was so focused on this, yet I didn't understand at the time. Later on it made perfect sense.

Forget Rosetta Stone or similar in the initial stages. You need to be able to describe what action, feeling, etc first. Cervezas, tetas, toto, etc will fall into place later.

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Spend a week with Indy and you will believe there are only 34 words in their language

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Nobody told you that you would be banging them by the dozens in the future

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Spend a week with Indy and you will believe there are only 34 words in their language
    my laugh of the week

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I couldnt agree more. 10-15 or even around 7. This is key. My night class teacher was so focused on this, yet I didn't understand at the time. Later on it made perfect sense.

Forget Rosetta Stone or similar in the initial stages. You need to be able to describe what action, feeling, etc first. Cervezas, tetas, toto, etc will fall into place later.
    Have you actually tried Rosetta Stone? It's the only thing that helped me break through the barrier and begin to retain a working vocabulary and structure. I had beat my head on other courses but this one was the only course I tried where there was zero English conversation or instruction. It's pictures and words. You learn to understand, then speak, then write each lesson and you are graded on pronunciation, comprehension and writing.

I still forget a shit load when I don't get to speak for a while and by the time I get my legs back under me in Spanish, it's time to go home but at least it helped me to understand the structure of the language. Only immersion in the language can solidify what is learned.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Nobody told you that you would be banging them by the dozens in the future
    ...or that the best ones usually speak no English at all

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Your English is as good as anyone's. Have you managed to work your way through Crio? It's like abbreviated French and I understand most of what I read but to hear it spoken, I can't make the connection.

ou pral fè sa ki mal = vous allez dans le mauvais sens

I have no background in French, maybe that is a good thing. Kreyol comes easier and easier to me as the years go by.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bailar View Post
    I have no background in French, maybe that is a good thing. Kreyol comes easier and easier to me as the years go by.
    The best way to learn any language will always be close proximity to those who speak it. The closer, the better.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Have you actually tried Rosetta Stone? It's the only thing that helped me break through the barrier and begin to retain a working vocabulary and structure. I had beat my head on other courses but this one was the only course I tried where there was zero English conversation or instruction. It's pictures and words. You learn to understand, then speak, then write each lesson and you are graded on pronunciation, comprehension and writing.

I still forget a shit load when I don't get to speak for a while and by the time I get my legs back under me in Spanish, it's time to go home but at least it helped me to understand the structure of the language. Only immersion in the language can solidify what is learned.
    Yes, actually.......company sponsored and it was for about a year plus iirc. Everyone learns their own way, but I found it great for nouns and a few other things. To me, verb conjugation wasn't their strongpoint.....and that can be key imo. I hear some here who have no clue how that works. I still give them credit though for trying.

Either way, good luck minky.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The best way to learn any language will always be close proximity to those who speak it. The closer, the better.

You got that right

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You got that right
    I don't know of a more powerful motivational force than a fine ass, buck nekid 22 year old especially back when I 1st started frequenting the D.R. over a dozen years ago. It only took a little baby Spanish to free me from the casas and send me out into the shops, markets and clubs shopping for free-range Punani. No more salidas, no more clock watching and best of all, everything became negotiable.

I really believe that when they heard me trying to speak Spanish they felt sorry for me, drawing me to their bosom for comfort.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

When I was in high school, '78-'82, it was mandatory to take 2 years of foreign language study and have a passing grade on my transcripts in order to be accepted into a state school in California. My choices were Spanish, French and German. I chose Spanish.

The first year during the basic introductory level, I did well, getting a B+ on my report card in each semester. But when I took the more advanced 2nd year, it was much more challenging and after a while, I kind of was going through the motions, figuring I would never have any use for Spanish, lost interest and faded to a D+ grade, which was heavily to blame for my whopping 1.6 GPA during my sophomore year.

An "F" in geometry did me in as well.

If only my teacher back then had told me that 30 years later, I would be banging Dominican ho's and that learning Spanish would be very beneficial to me, I know I would have been a much better student!

But I'll be damned if I haven't had a single use for geometry all these years later though!

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information