Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 08/2018 - DR slang -> mol

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Re: 08/2018 - DR slang -> mol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    When I was in high school, '78-'82, it was mandatory to take 2 years of foreign language study and have a passing grade on my transcripts in order to be accepted into a state school in California. My choices were Spanish, French and German. I chose Spanish.

The first year during the basic introductory level, I did well, getting a B+ on my report card in each semester. But when I took the more advanced 2nd year, it was much more challenging and after a while, I kind of was going through the motions, figuring I would never have any use for Spanish, lost interest and faded to a D+ grade, which was heavily to blame for my whopping 1.6 GPA during my sophomore year.

An "F" in geometry did me in as well.

If only my teacher back then had told me that 30 years later, I would be banging Dominican ho's and that learning Spanish would be very beneficial to me, I know I would have been a much better student!

But I'll be damned if I haven't had a single use for geometry all these years later though!

I too, pretty much flunked out of Spanish while in high school. It wasn't until I started travelling to the Yukatan in the 90's that learning Spanish made any sense.

Learning Spanish, is one thing. Understanding Dominican is a whole different subject.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bailar View Post
    I too, pretty much flunked out of Spanish while in high school. It wasn't until I started travelling to the Yukatan in the 90's that learning Spanish made any sense.

Learning Spanish, is one thing. Understanding Dominican is a whole different subject.

There was one kid that spoke Spanish that I know growing up. If I only knew

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

When I was in school they had no foreign language requirement like they do now.
    I wish that they would have as they teach Spanish in elementary school which is a good thing

I do remember my 6th grade teacher saying over and over that we all needed to learn this new fangled metric system because it was the future.

I guess there is at least one country that never got on board with it other than in track everything was converted from yards to meters
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Spanish language should be a mandatory scholastic requirement in the USA. It's the majority language of the Western Hemisphere and without it, we're socially and economically isolated in our own back yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by minkyboodle View Post
    I sure wish this was the mindset when I was a kid. I view truly bi-lingual people fluent in English and Spanish with a special kind of wonder/admiration/jealous rage LOL

Those who can jump effortlessly between the two have a specially wired brain. I think that the only reliable way to get this, is learning at a young age. And the most amazing part of this is that once that brain connection is made, it's much easier to add more languages. I also can get a bit "ragey" when I reflect over my choice to study Latin in school for years.
    Agree totally key being learning the second language at an early age, seems to permit that part of the brain to function at a high level. My daughter speak both fluently, and I marvel at her, but her advantage was she was born in the US, so obviouly english is her mother language and the language she used when first attending school, but with her mother being Dominican, spanish she learned as well from birth, when her mother's family came over to visit or we went to visit them, the language that was spoken was spanish. When the in-laws came to visit, I would go into the basement, didn't understand the language nor did I have any desire to learn it back then. I kick myself in the ass for not putting in the effort back then, when I realize how much better I would be today if I just tried a bit. Didn't take it up seriously until I moved into the capital and it became a bit of a neccesity. Even when I lived in Sosua my first year didn't need it much.

Although I am passable now, I know I will never truly be fluent, learned at too advanced an age. Comprehension is the hardest part especially dealing with the slang, and the speed in which native Dominicans speak. For the most part I can communicate my ideas well enough because I am able to use my own vocabulary, words I am familar with to express myself, probably vocabulary on a 3rd grade level, which for the most part is good enough. But when dealing with technical subject matters, I am often lost, ie. Medical or auto mechanical themes. If my daughter is with me, I often get lazy and tell her to translate, that way I don't have to think.
    Last edited by yayow; 08-26-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    I wish that they would have as they teach Spanish in elementary school which is a good thing

I do remember my 6th grade teacher saying over and over that we all needed to learn this new fangled metric system because it was the future.

I guess there is at least one country that never got on board with it other than in track everything was converted from yards to meters
    USA, Myanmar (Burma) and Liberia are the only countries still using SI units of measure.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,474 Times in 2,511 Posts

It was mandatory for me. I actually got all the way to AP Latin and continued for 2 years in college. I am a history nerd and it helped with the SAT verbal with derivatives and such. Yeah, that SAT verbal score impacts my daily life greatly..... Funny the shit you think is so important when you are young and stupid. Thanks for all the great posts here, some great advice and insight.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to minkyboodle For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minkyboodle View Post
    ... once that brain connection is made, it's much easier to add more languages.
    True. Every study that has made made shows that the more languages you know, the easier it is to learn further ones. One might think the opposite is true, that your brain would get overloaded and confused, but that is not so.

My Haitian partner for eight years banned her kids from speaking Kreyól even when it cropped up naturally talking with family and friends. She meant well as she thought they should concentrate on acquiring a "Dominican" Spanish accent for their own safety and security here, but it was a bad move educationally and psychologically.

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

USA, Myanmar (Burma) and Liberia are the only countries still using SI units of measure.
    Don't you mean they haven't adopted the SI unit of measure

SI = metric

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Yes, actually.......company sponsored and it was for about a year plus iirc. Everyone learns their own way, but I found it great for nouns and a few other things. To me, verb conjugation wasn't their strongpoint.....and that can be key imo. I hear some here who have no clue how that works. I still give them credit though for trying.

Either way, good luck minky.
    The first thing I learned in spanish was Jugo de pinga. A lot of folks got a big laugh at my expense out of that one.

The second thing I learned was "Bargame, Dios" To this day, I don't know what it means.

The third thing I learned was "Como se dice" (How do you say) followed by pointing at something. I made it a point to learn a new word every day.

After that, it was simple phrases: Donde esta, Dame un, and such, followed by the one of the words I was learning every day. Within a month I was pretty much capable of holding a conversation.

As easy as that was, I have failed miserably at learning Kreole the same way. Ditto for German and French.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

18. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Don't you mean they haven't adopted the SI unit of measure

SI = metric
    Yup

Multitasking casualty...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    The second thing I learned was "Bargame, Dios" To this day, I don't know what it means.
    Maybe she was trying to say "pagarme, Dios" during an Epic session.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

The first thing I learned in spanish was Jugo de pinga. A lot of folks got a big laugh at my expense out of that one.

The third thing I learned was "Como se dice" (How do you say) followed by pointing at something. I made it a point to learn a new word every day.

After that, it was simple phrases: Donde esta, Dame un, and such, followed by the one of the words I was learning every day. Within a month I was pretty much capable of holding a conversation.

As easy as that was, I have failed miserably at learning Kreole the same way. Ditto for German and French.

I just pulled out my class workbook that has been collecting dust for years. I thought about starting a new novel, but it's time to put my nose to the grindstone and take my Spanish up a notch.

Its funny though. When I first made the move I would hear others speak to the locals after several years here, and I thought I'd never catch on. Like I said earlier it's maybe third grade level, but what a difference in just a few years.
    Vida es buena....

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    ...Although I am passable now, I know I will never truly be fluent, learned at too advanced an age...
    It's never too late if you put your mind into it. Right now I'm learning French and I'm over 60. Like Henry Ford used to say "whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right."

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maretti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 607 Posts

...The second thing I learned was "Bargame, Dios" To this day, I don't know what it means..
    It's "valgame Dios". I haven't heard that one in a long time, it's main meaning is protect me God!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Maretti For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maretti View Post
    It's "valgame Dios". I haven't heard that one in a long time, it's main meaning is protect me God!
    Also known to be proclaimed during an epic session

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

I really believe that when they heard me trying to speak Spanish they felt sorry for me, drawing me to their bosom for comfort.
    Awwww ... that's such a sweet word-picture.

But it IS true -- throughout most of the world, if you at least TRY to speak a little of the local language, the locals appreciate your effort!

(Not so much the French, though ... nor the Yanks who expect everyone in the world to speak English....)
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

USA, Myanmar (Burma) and Liberia are the only countries still using spurning SI units of measure.
    "SI units of measure" means "Système international (d'unités)" -- i.e. metres for length, kilograms for weight, litres for volume, and Celsius for temperatures ... as opposed to "the English system" of inches/feet/miles, ounces/pounds, quarts/gallons, and temperatures in Fahrenheit, as we're used to using in the USA. In many cases, the measures and calculations are SO much simpler and more efficient in "SI" that it's really worth making the switch to metric ... and sometimes it seems like a shame that we didn't!

I've got a "special case" of this, as regards my 'special hobby' of scuba-diving, and especially in the matter of air-consumption -- which could be a life-or-death matter, for someone involved with the ragged edge of technical cave-diving ... but not for me, because I stay the hell out of that environment! But all the same, I had to track my air consumption as part of my advanced courses, like deep diving and self-reliant diving; and this would become very much more important, if I go on to "tech diving," i.e. deep dives with planned decompression stops.

Air-consumption calculations are FAR easier, using SI units, than they are using feet for depth and cubic feet (and PSI) for tank capacity.

The industry-standard "Aluminum 80" tank, as seen in the USA, contains about 80 cubic feet of sea-level air at its rated fill capacity of 3000 PSI. Outside the USA, it's called an 11-litre tank, and its pressure is measured in "bar" (1 bar = 100 kPa (kilo-Pascals), or just a smidgen less than average atmospheric pressure at sea level.) The scuba-shops generally fill them to 200 bar, which equates to 2200 litres of sea-level-pressure air (at a little less than 3000 PSI).

Another convenience, for a scuba diver who's doing his figures in metres rather than feet, is that every 10 meters' depth in sea water equals 1 bar, 1 atmosphere, of pressure -- we're all at 1.0 bar at the surface, at sea-level, but each meter of depth is equivalent to 0.1 bar of pressure. If I'm 10 meters deep (33 feet), I'm at 2 bar pressure (29.4 PSI) ... That "29.4 PSI" ought to be enough, with "80 cubic feet" and "14.7 psi sea-level pressure," to make it perfectly plain why I've replaced my PSI air-gauges with "bar" gauges (SI), and set my dive-computer to "meters" (SI) depth!

It's just plain easier, diving "in metric" ...

Pardon the thread-jack, and my 'dissing' of feet/miles/ounces/gallons/Fahrenheit....

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    "SI units of measure" means "Système international (d'unités)" -- i.e. metres for length, kilograms for weight, litres for volume, and Celsius for temperatures ... as opposed to "the English system" of inches/feet/miles, ounces/pounds, quarts/gallons, and temperatures in Fahrenheit, as we're used to using in the USA. In many cases, the measures and calculations are SO much simpler and more efficient in "SI" that it's really worth making the switch to metric ... and sometimes it seems like a shame that we didn't!
    Thanks, Wiki.

We established that a few days ago in post #50 but we appreciate the interest.

It's another case of "forget what I said, you know WTF I meant".

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,640 Times in 598 Posts

here is a good one I got today...."Estoy yes Gando"

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daddyooo For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daddyooo View Post
    here is a good one I got today...."Estoy yes Gando"
    i'm waiting?
    i'm arriving?

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information