Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/2018 - Negatives of Retiring Early

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

10/2018 - Negatives of Retiring Early

Saw this article on Marketwatch....Thought is was good food for thought. Sage and Grey just mentioned a lot of these points on the retiring threads.

Think a lot of it has to do with what kind of job you have. If its a job you hate vs love makes a big difference in retiring....

For all the glamour of living an early retirement lifestyle, there are plenty of negatives I’ve come to discover since I permanently left my job in 2012.

I know why we revert to our baseline state of happiness, no matter how much freedom and money you have.

Let’s go through some of the negatives of retiring early now that I’m a grizzled veteran.

See Also
    The Race to Replace Your Keyboard

The downside of retiring early
    1) You will suffer an identity crisis for an unknown period. When you’ve spent at least a decade working in a profession, you’ll find it incredibly jolting to no longer be identified as the person who is a marketing expert, an investment professional, or the management consultant who can figure out how to optimize a business. It’s only after you leave your job do you truly realize how wound up you were in your profession.

Your identity crisis may last as short as three months or it might last for years. It all depends on how wrapped up you were in your job, how long you spent getting educated after high school, and whether you have a clear plan postretirement. Doctors are some of the people who suffer the most after leaving their occupations. Conversely, high school graduates who somehow struck it rich with a product or an invention seem to adjust much easier in postretirement life.

Job titles can be incredibly addictive. Why else do people get so depressed when passed over for promotion? Why else do people try so hard to get promoted sooner and faster than everybody else? Do not underestimate the importance of being a manager, director, vice president, or even a C-level executive.

After all, the most common question people ask when they first meet each other is: What do you do for a living? And if you tell them you don’t do anything for a living, well then, you might just feel like a sheepish loser. You’ll want to try to explain yourself, but by then, your three-second first impression will no longer hold the other person’s attention.

What happened to me: After working in the Asian equities business for 13 years, it felt hollow to no longer have my Executive Director title or be identified with my investment firm. I felt sad that I could no longer go to Asia for conferences or with clients. For so long, taking a business-class trip to Hong Kong, India, China or Taiwan was part of my quarterly routine. Shallow as it may sound, it felt special to have priority boarding. I felt important when clients would entrust me to show them around in a foreign land.

For the first year after leaving my job, I wondered how the business was doing without me. Could they really survive without my expertise? After all, I was there for 11 years. Surely, they needed my relationships. But after months went by with no email or phone call from my old firm saying they wanted me back, I had to come to terms that I was no longer important to them.

I wanted to believe that my position meant something to the firm and to the people that I serviced. But at the end of the day, the person I trained to replace me as part of my severance agreement, was good enough. And because he was good enough, I concluded that I was no longer any good.

This ego hit took me a full year to get over.

Read: Why early retirement is all it’s cracked up to be

2) You will be stuck in your head. When you suddenly have an extra 10 to 14 hours a day of free time, it’s very difficult to optimize your time wisely.

Your productivity will suffer in retirement. You will no longer feel motivated to achieve great wins. As a result, you may slowly start to get depressed. Only after some really deep soul-searching and some, “what am I doing with my life?” questioning will you begin to organize your time better and become more productive.

Your mind can be very dangerous because it can always second-guess your actions. Did I retire too soon? What if I run out of money? What if people think I’m a loser? What if I can’t ever get back into the workforce if things go wrong? When you have a lot of time to think, your doubts go on and on.

Perhaps one analogy is to compare being stuck in your head with Locked-in syndrome. LIS is a condition in which a patient is aware but cannot move or communicate verbally due to complete paralysis of nearly all voluntary muscles in the body except for vertical eye movements and blinking. This could be one of my worst nightmares. Retiring early may render you inoperable for a while.

What happened to me: Because I left work at age 34, I was worried for about the first two years whether or not I had made the right choice. No rational person leaves a well-paying job to be unemployed in their mid-30s. Your late-30s is when you start to finally make good money. And by the time you reach your 40s, you should be at your maximum earnings power.

During my first year of early retirement, to the outside world I proudly proclaimed I was retired from a career in finance. But on the inside, I was second-guessing my decision to leave. Because of my uncertainty, I decided to do some part-time consulting with a financial technology startup for about 20 hours a week. It was a great way to distract my mind from all my fears, earn some side income, and replug myself into society. I also kept in touch with multiple banks until my Series 7 and 63 licenses expired.

Finally, I dived deep into my writing on Financial Samurai. Writing has always been my most cathartic way to deal with any uncertainty or problems I might have. For example, now that I have a son, I’ve been worried about whether our roughly $200,000 a year in passive income is enough to support a family of three if he doesn’t win the San Francisco public school lottery system. It’s taken almost 20 years for me to generate this passive income level, and it still doesn’t seem like enough.

Given this worry, I did a deep dive budget analysis for a family earning $300,000 a year, and it sure seems like we need to earn $100,000 more to maintain our quality of life in San Francisco. Alternatively, we can always move to a lower cost area of the country or world.

Read: People may be missing the point of early retirement

3) People will treat you like a weird misfit. Whether it’s because retiring early is unconventional or because people are secretly jealous you aren’t grinding away at a day job, people won’t give you the same amount of respect as working-class citizens. After all, if they can’t describe what you do for a living, then they can’t pigeonhole you into an archetype that is comfortable for them.

Having a job means you are a productive member of society. If you retire at a young age, people will assume you are simply slacking off and not paying any taxes. They’ll sometimes look at you as a leech they want to flick off.

Further, if you are an outcast, then you won’t be invited to parties or events that other working people always get to attend. You’re simply not top of mind to them. If you are an extrovert, early retirement will be much more difficult than if you are an introvert.

What happened to me: After the first year of early retirement, I no longer told anybody I retired early. Instead, I told anybody who asked that I was a writer, a tennis teacher, a fintech consultant, or simply in between jobs. Before that, I think a lot of people just assumed I was a trust fund baby who did not have to work. And the last thing this middle-class guy who went to public school wants to be known as is a trust fund baby.

My favorite time of the year was during the winter holidays. I loved going to all the holiday parties and getting tipsy with fellow revelers. Now, I get invited to zero holiday parties because I don’t work for anyone. Nor do I get invited to client holiday parties either, even though I have several partners who are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. It may sound silly, but having a drink with good people with shared interests really means a lot to me.

It takes a lot of effort to build new social networks if you aren’t part of a larger organization. There is no weekend cookout a colleague is hosting on Labor Day Weekend to attend. I’ve had to participate in various meetup events to find new people to hang out with. So far, my social network only revolves around tennis and softball. But even then, it’s not like I’ve found buddies who will come over and just chill in the hot tub over a beer or anything.

4) You’ll be disappointed that you aren’t much happier. So many people think that once they achieve financial freedom or leave a job they dislike, they’ll suddenly be permanently happier. The truth of the matter is, your elevated happiness will only last at most three to six months. Eventually, you’ll revert to your natural state of being.

Think back to your high school or college days when you didn’t have any money compared with now. I’d venture to guess you were just as happy, if not happier when you were a broke college student.

Having the freedom to do what you want is priceless. But you will eventually take your freedom for granted like the air you breathe. On the days you feel angry or sad, you will start questioning what the hell is wrong with you since you’ve got more than the average person. You’ll feel stupid for feeling unhappy when there are literally hundreds of millions of people in the world wondering whether they’ll have enough to eat the next day.

You think, if I can’t be happy when I’m financially independent, surely there must be something seriously wrong with me. And you could be right! Can you imagine being unhappy as a Norwegian? Norway is perpetually ranked as one of the top five happiest countries in the world.

What’s going on with me: I thought I’d be much happier not having to report to a micromanager boss I did not respect. But my increased happiness was fleeting and only lasted for about a week before I was back to my regular self. Instead, my happiness was weighed down by months of uncertainty on whether I had made the right move to leave my job. It was only after about two years did my doubt finally start to dissipate.

Although corporate politics no longer upset me, other things end up filling the void. For example, drivers who decide to double park on a busy street in rush hour traffic really bother me now. So do dog owners who let their dogs poop in front of my house and don’t pick up after them. In the past, I could only allocate a small amount of annoyance to such incidences.

Instead of being permanently at a happier level, I’m simply no longer as annoyed or as angry at things as frequently. Further, the volatility around my steady state of happiness is lower. In other words, I’ve mellowed out. That said, don’t offend me because I still enjoy a really good fight.

5) You constantly wonder whether this is all there is to life. Retiring early is like finishing up your favorite longstanding TV show. You’re glad there’s a conclusion, but you’re also sad that it’s over. You hope to find a show that’s as good or better, but there are no guarantees.

Most of us spend 13 years going to grade school so we can spend four years in college to get a decent job. Then we spend decades trying to earn and save money to provide for our family and then one day retire by 65. With good luck, we’ll live for another 20 years to enjoy all the fruits of our labor.

When you retire at a much earlier age, you are constantly left wondering what’s next. You are mentally twiddling your thumbs waiting for the next big thing while your close friends are all at work. Early retirement can get extremely mundane and boring because you have nobody to spend time with.

As a result, you’re repeatedly forced to will yourself into action. This constant self-starting attitude can become extremely trying to the point where you long to rejoin the workforce and be told what to do.

What’s going on with me: I probably drove my wife nuts during the first two years of early retirement because I constantly told her I was bored. Only boring people get bored right? Wrong. Everybody gets bored at some point. When you’re working, you don’t have time to get bored because you’re working. There’s only so much tennis, golf, and softball I can play before my knees break apart. There are only so many churches to visit in Europe before they all start looking the same.

She used to have vacations from me because I would be away traveling for work every month. Now she was seeing my cherubic face every single day. It’s a good thing we had three bedrooms at the time. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure we’d both have gone crazy from seeing each other so often.

It was only after our son was born in early 2017 that I felt a renewed sense of purpose. Before my boy, I felt my purpose was to help educate as many readers as possible about personal finance to one day be free. After my boy was born, my purpose has expanded to keeping Financial Samurai running long enough to teach him about operating an online business out of fear he may have a tough time getting ahead. In addition, I now need to live long enough until he finds someone who loves him as much as I love my wife.

I don’t think I’d be able to die in peace if there’s nobody to replace his mom or me. As a result, I’m exercising more, eating healthier, and meditating longer.

Early retirement is great, but it doesn’t solve everything
    It might sound like I’m depressed. But I’m not. I’m simply highlighting some of the negatives you will probably go through if you decide to leave the workforce early. The more extroverted you are and the higher your position, the more you will have difficulties making the early retirement adjustment.

Having the freedom to do what you want cannot be overstated. However, your mind will play games with your spirit during the first few years after leaving work. Some people won’t be able to handle early retirement life and will go back to work.

Just know that with enough conditioning, you will eventually embrace your freedom. Nobody I know who retired from corporate life early stayed retired. You will find your purpose. Once you do, you will take steps, such as building passive incomeZE], to ensure you remain free forever.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: Negatives of Retiring Early

The writer has spent a really fucked-up life.

"... it felt hollow to no longer have my Executive Director title." Really?

"... it felt special to have priority boarding." Really?

"... I’ve been worried about whether our roughly $200,000 a year in passive income is enough to support a family of three." Really?

If he retired (though it sounds like he was sacked) at 34, he retired before he had matured as a person and found out what life is all about.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,791 Times in 353 Posts

18 years ago I unexpectedly went from working 70 hours a week to zero and retired at 43 yrs. old. Never got bored or had any of these problems,I am enjoying every minute of my retirement.

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to quietcorner911 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well there a few of us struggling with what to do in retirement:

Mr. Happy - tried sitting on beach for a few weeks and wents nuts. He went back to work.

WNM - He is like me and ready to get out of dodge after a 12 days on monger trips. And back to work slinging cars...

Grey - Wants to start a business in retirement because he cant sit on beach only...

We are all so different so there really is no one answer...

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Well there a few of us struggling with what to do in retirement:

Mr. Happy - tried sitting on beach for a few weeks and wents nuts. He went back to work.

WNM - He is like me and ready to get out of dodge after a 12 days on monger trips. And back to work slinging cars...

Grey - Wants to start a business in retirement because he cant sit on beach only...

We are all so different so there really is no one answer...
    For me it is watching guys at work who talked big about retiring early then died on the job without ever collecting a dime in pension. Seen a few in the last few years. ANd what about the guys who retire too late, dead in 2 years, very sad.

Most of my collegues who I haved talked to after retirement all say they wish they left sooner. Could be the type of work too.

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    For me it is watching guys at work who talked big about retiring early then died on the job without ever collecting a dime in pension. Seen a few in the last few years. ANd what about the guys who retire too late, dead in 2 years, very sad.

Most of my collegues who I haved talked to after retirement all say they wish they left sooner. Could be the type of work too.
    Your situation makes a ton of sense to retire early....Now find that ballar apartment in PAttaya

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Retirement at X age is far from a one size fits all.

In the past it was often you worked until 62 or 65 and retired but that is not the case anymore.

Each persons circumstances are different from how old your children are to if you are married or single.

How much you have put away for retirement, if your home is paid off etc and so forth.

You don't have to totally walk away from work you can just go do something a little less intense.

I went from a partner in an accounting practice working 80-100 hour weeks most of the year and miserable to going out on my own and working less but also having the flexibility to do as I like.

I love my new situation as I can still work but also enjoy life on my terms. I will be able to control how much I work for as long as I want.

I have no problem just hanging out and doing little to nothing and never really get bored as there is so much to see and do in this big world.

The most important thing is to get out an enjoy life while your health still allows you to do so.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

14. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

I love my semi retirement 6 to 14 days away every month and then back to work for a rest

not sure I will like being off 21 days a month starting this dec but I am going to give it a try for 6 months and see if I survive but I doubt very much if I will ever go full time...……. but that's just me and my situation and every one else has different requirements and commitments and levels of income to take into consideration as well

if any one can do it then more power to them...……. but I would be dead in a year or in AA
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

16. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Retirement at X age is far from a one size fits all.

In the past it was often you worked until 62 or 65 and retired but that is not the case anymore.

Each persons circumstances are different from how old your children are to if you are married or single.

How much you have put away for retirement, if your home is paid off etc and so forth.

You don't have to totally walk away from work you can just go do something a little less intense.

I went from a partner in an accounting practice working 80-100 hour weeks most of the year and miserable to going out on my own and working less but also having the flexibility to do as I like.

I love my new situation as I can still work but also enjoy life on my terms. I will be able to control how much I work for as long as I want.

I have no problem just hanging out and doing little to nothing and never really get bored as there is so much to see and do in this big world.

The most important thing is to get out an enjoy life while your health still allows you to do so.
    Same here....I down scaled my business and keeps me busy while in the states...

I need a business to keep busy. I just cant golf all day. And I have to be here in states because of parents....

JD and I are kinda on same schedule. I think he might have me beat on trip weeks...but close....

WNM is king of this going away every month....

I did 4 weeks Thailand this year....1 week boca...1 week jamaica...1 week las terrenas.....

I might slow down now till December ......

18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Same here....I down scaled my business and keeps me busy while in the states...

I need a business to keep busy. I just cant golf all day. And I have to be here in states because of parents....

JD and I are kinda on same schedule. I think he might have me beat on trip weeks...but close....

WNM is king of this going away every month....

I did 4 weeks Thailand this year....1 week boca...1 week jamaica...1 week las terrenas.....

I might slow down now till December ......

Looks like I am going to be about 70 nights over 7 trips this year. Funny it feels like I traveled less this year but actually last year I was 63 nights over 7 trips.
    I keep a spread sheet on all of my trips since 2012. Probably kinda an anal thing to do but it's useful information to me.

At some point I will probably do longer trips at one time but right now i need to be around home a few days each month for work commitments.

For me doing multiple shorter trips keeps me from becoming bored and I am always looking forward to that next trip.

Also a big reason why I do trip reports as I periodically go back through old trip reports.

20. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    The writer has spent a really fucked-up life.

"... it felt hollow to no longer have my Executive Director title." Really?

"... it felt special to have priority boarding." Really?

"... I’ve been worried about whether our roughly $200,000 a year in passive income is enough to support a family of three." Really?

If he retired (though it sounds like he was sacked) at 34, he retired before he had matured as a person and found out what life is all about.
    I couldn't bear reading all that drivel ( not yours Weyland, your drivel is always interesting). Whoever that person is, I would definitely go out of my way not to know them.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    I couldn't bear reading all that drivel ( not yours Weyland, your drivel is always interesting). Whoever that person is, I would definitely go out of my way not to know them.
    He was a hot shot San Fran finance guy that retired young 30s...So not really on same wavelenght as us old guys in 50s and 60s. But thought a couple good points in it.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Re: 10/2018 - Negatives of Retiring Early

I talk with guys all the time at work about early retirement. Even just this morning.
    It scares them (medical, college kids, living expenses, etc.)
    Then in the next sentence, like the guy this morning, they mention their father who got SIX PAYCHECKS after retirement!!! And then he died.
    That's fucked up, that scares me way more than retiring early and running out of money.

I hope to be out at 55 and people I say that to think I'm crazy.
    Too many people live to work, they don't work to live.

It always reminds me of Con Air.
    "What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    I talk with guys all the time at work about early retirement. Even just this morning.
    Then in the next sentence, like the guy this morning, they mention their father who got SIX PAYCHECKS after retirement!!! And then he died.
    That's fucked up, that scares me way more than retiring early and running out of money.

"What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"

If they only knew how we spend our time

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My father was diagnosed with Parkinsons about the same time he retired. He had a few decent years before that damn disease robbed him of any real quality of life.
    It was hard to see him suffer

I vowed that I would live life and travel while I still have my health and the ability to do so.

I don't ever see myself rotting in a old age home.

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My father was diagnosed with Parkinsons about the same time he retired. He had a few decent years before that damn disease robbed him of any real quality of life.
    It was hard to see him suffer

I vowed that I would live life and travel while I still have my health and the ability to do so.

I don't ever see myself rotting in a old age home.

Hunter ranks on me for working full time, but every month, I jump in the car, hit AC and any girl available that I want.

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Hunter ranks on me for working full time, but every month, I jump in the car, hit AC and any girl available that I want.
    But your still enjoying life. Nothing wrong with working when you can still get away and have some fun

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

But your still enjoying life. Nothing wrong with working when you can still get away and have some fun

Its nice when some girl throws a price at you and you think to yourself, I can pay for 1,000 sessions if I want to

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

And they can't believe it when I tell them I am going away with 5 or more buddies. They have no idea what life outside the job is

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

He was a hot shot San Fran finance guy that retired young 30s...So not really on same wavelenght as us old guys in 50s and 60s. But thought a couple good points in it.
    ya...when you are still in your 30s you are still going strong, going for what drives you .The money guys all seem to work hard to make a lot of coin so they can have the beautigul family and all the toys. I guess.

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information