Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/2018 - Negatives of Retiring Early

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Re: Negatives of Retiring Early

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    ya...when you are still in your 30s you are still going strong, going for what drives you .The money guys all seem to work hard to make a lot of coin so they can have the beautigul family and all the toys. I guess.
    Do you enjoy your oil work still? Would you rather be in your condo in Sosua all the time? Live there?

Or work and occasional trips is your future for next 5 years? How many weeks a year do you spend in Sosua?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Do you enjoy your oil work still? Would you rather be in your condo in Sosua all the time? Live there?

Or work and occasional trips is your future for next 5 years? How many weeks a year do you spend in Sosua?
    Not so much but I could make it more enjoyable again if I worked at it. I guess due to downturns in the business you could say I am semi working? About 170 days a year
    I spend about 15 weeks a year in Sosua spaced out over several trips.I still have to decide if I want to be in Sosua full time as a retiree.

Edit: note that is 170 days a year working away from home with nothing to do but work. I definitely would not go back to my old work rotation which was 3 in 1 out. Now it is 2 in 2 out, which although pays less money is much easier to do.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Re: 10/2018 - Negatives of Retiring Early

Valid points for some... but not for me. I happened to have had a job I hated,,, well maybe not hate hated... but one that was not very inspiring. It did offer me the opportunity to travel frequently and almost at will. I started planning my retirement in my mid-40s... and wanted nothing else but to retire outside Jersey... and then outside the US. Still not bored... no major identity crisis... and I was pleased as punch to leave government employment. (BTW, a government bureaucrat has very little "identity"...LOL). I guess one negative I came across is becoming lazy... I mean real lazy... like walking more than a 1/4 mile became a chore. Decided to get unlazy and doing much more walking and exercising now. Outside of trying to watch every TV show and movie on Kodi. I do free consulting for la senora's meals-on-wheels restaurant. I like the idea of 6 paisitas working in the kitchens every day. As long as my state pension and social security stay afloat, I am a happy camper.
    Blue Devil

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    Not so much but I could make it more enjoyable again if I worked at it. I guess due to downturns in the business you could say I am semi working? About 170 days a year
    I spend about 15 weeks a year in Sosua spaced out over several trips.I still have to decide if I want to be in Sosua full time as a retiree.

Edit: note that is 170 days a year working away from home with nothing to do but work. I definitely would not go back to my old work rotation which was 3 in 1 out. Now it is 2 in 2 out, which although pays less money is much easier to do.

Do you pretty much only go to Sosua or do you venture to other countries as well?

Sosua can be fun but I couldn't see myself settling there permanently as there are to many other good places to go.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

I read the article (thanks for posting it Hunter) and while I do agree with the author's point about it being harder to retire early if your life revolved around the job title you had and the degree of importance you associated yourself with to the job, I also can't agree more with Weyland. This guy sounded like some pretentious prick who couldn't stand to be associated with the unwashed masses (no more priority boarding in business class!....boo fucking hoo), and even with a $200,000 yearly income, he STILL worried about not having enough money to be satisfied.

Not the type of guy I want to hang around with. Sounds like a boor.

The weekend before I flew to Kenya, that Friday night an ambulance came to my work place. Apparently a guy had keeled over in the locker room and was out. Have no idea how long it was before someone noticed and was concerned enough to call for a supervisor. Eventually a 911 call was made and paramedics were summoned. The guy was taken out of the building and rushed to the hospital.

When I came in for work that Monday, the first person I saw asked me, "Did you hear about Greg?" I said I just got here and hadn't heard anything. He had died late Sunday night. He wound up having a massive heart attack. The guy was 2 years older than me. Another one gone way too soon. There have been dozens over the years. That Thursday night, I boarded a flight for Istanbul and then onto Nairobi and Mombasa. Two weeks of holiday bliss to interrupt the daily routine of work and living a life that, despite some people always thinking in a half serious way that I'm perpetually on holiday, like so many here, my life is the same routine about 85% of the time. It's that 15% that makes up the memories of a life well lived.

Greg, and so many other of my coworkers over the years, never had their chance to retire early, or late for that matter. I know you can't control outside forces in life and there is the old joke, "How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans!".....but my own motivation comes a great deal from my travels to other places, to have some perspective on what life is like for those who face true hardships on a daily basis, of experiencing the joy and happiness of people who have taught me that you can truly be happy without all the materialistic crap that our commercialized society says we need in order to be happy, valued, content. In other words, living a certain way to please others, and I suppose the author lived his working life with that factor as a primary focus since he admittedly worried about it.

I harbor no such illusions with my own retirement. I just eagerly look forward to having the chance, unlike so many of those who I worked with had denied to them, and see how I can live a life knowing I own every waking hour of my day, for the first time ever.

That will be the biggest adjustment. And one that I am going to be ready to meet head on once I clock out for the final time.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Do you pretty much only go to Sosua or do you venture to other countries as well?

Sosua can be fun but I couldn't see myself settling there permanently as there are to many other good places to go.
    Pretty much only to Sosua and Vancouver, maintaining homes in the two. My employer flies me to work and flies me home. Theoretically future vacations I would go somewhere else. I am not working full time, some would say it is semi-retirement, but come the end of my work rotation I really don't want to go anywhere but home. And at 2-3 weeks at a time, Sosua is a relaxing place to be, believe it or not.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I read the article (thanks for posting it Hunter) and while I do agree with the author's point about it being harder to retire early if your life revolved around the job title you had and the degree of importance you associated yourself with to the job, I also can't agree more with Weyland. This guy sounded like some pretentious prick who couldn't stand to be associated with the unwashed masses (no more priority boarding in business class!....boo fucking hoo), and even with a $200,000 yearly income, he STILL worried about not having enough money to be satisfied.

The weekend before I flew to Kenya, that Friday night an ambulance came to my work place. Apparently a guy had keeled over in the locker room and was out. Have no idea how long it was before someone noticed and was concerned enough to call for a supervisor. Eventually a 911 call was made and paramedics were summoned. The guy was taken out of the building and rushed to the hospital.

When I came in for work that Monday, the first person I saw asked me, "Did you hear about Greg?" I said I just got here and hadn't heard anything. He had died late Sunday night. He wound up having a massive heart attack. The guy was 2 years older than me. Another one gone way too soon. There have been dozens over the years. That Thursday night, I boarded a flight for Istanbul and then onto Nairobi and Mombasa. Two weeks of holiday bliss to interrupt the daily routine of work and living a life that, despite some people always thinking in a half serious way that I'm perpetually on holiday, like so many here, my life is the same routine about 85% of the time. It's that 15% that makes up the memories of a life well lived.

Greg, and so many other of my coworkers over the years, never had their chance to retire early, or late for that matter. I know you can't control outside forces in life and there is the old joke, "How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans!".....but my own motivation comes a great deal from my travels to other places, to have some perspective on what life is like for those who face true hardships on a daily basis, of experiencing the joy and happiness of people who have taught me that you can truly be happy without all the materialistic crap that our commercialized society says we need in order to be happy, valued, content. In other words, living a certain way to please others, and I suppose the author lived his working life with that factor as a primary focus since he admittedly worried about it.

I harbor no such illusions with my own retirement. I just eagerly look forward to having the chance, unlike so many of those who I worked with had denied to them, and see how I can live a life knowing I own every waking hour of my day, for the first time ever.

That will be the biggest adjustment. And one that I am going to be ready to meet head on once I clock out for the final time.
    Something to always remember, you never know when you are going to kick it, only that each day that time gets closer.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post

n 86 year old guy at my accounting firm found out he had weeks to live and went home. He would have worked forever if death didn't come for him.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    n 86 year old guy at my accounting firm found out he had weeks to live and went home. He would have worked forever if death didn't come for him.
    I'd have stuck it out and stayed on the job for two weeks, e-mailed my boss that the work load is killing me and CC'd all my Kids and Grand Kids. Insurance payout doubles.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    I'd have stuck it out and stayed on the job for two weeks, e-mailed my boss that the work load is killing me and CC'd all my Kids and Grand Kids. Insurance payout doubles.

He was the boss.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That was one of the points of the article. Some guys are most happy working and cant handle retirement....Your guy case in point...

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

He was the boss.
    "Boss" as in Owner? Otherwise, my action stands. If he was the Owner, then fuck him. He's already rich.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

"Boss" as in Owner? Otherwise, my action stands. If he was the Owner, then fuck him. He's already rich.

He was a partner in the firm and retired but kept a few clients and flies up from Florida to work and get away from the wife.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That was one of the points of the article. Some guys are most happy working and cant handle retirement....Your guy case in point...

So he died and his rich son got his money. All he did was complain while he was there.

Conditioning

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lets take you for example, no wife and kids and you have investments. I find it hard to believe that you have nothing better to do than go to your office and leave your sisters kids you money.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

He was a partner in the firm and retired but kept a few clients and flies up from Florida to work and get away from the wife.
    Oh.

So it wasn't the job that killed him, it was the Wife.

Nevamind...

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Lets take you for example, no wife and kids and you have investments. I find it hard to believe that you have nothing better to do than go to your office and leave your sisters kids you money.
    I am on the JD gig now...semi retired and travel 8-10 weeks a year. That could change in future. At the moment I have zero desire to live in third world full time. I like working when I am home. My goal would be 6 months abroad 6 months USA...something like that. PI - Carribean- Africa...Though Sage has a point in that going from here to there you cant really put down roots and get a feel for a place.

I will shut the business sometime...But now I like it. I am not going to keep it open till 83..lol...

Your the one who doesnt travel anymore....dont hate on me...

And my sisters kids will get nothing....my 3 foreign wives will get it.

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh.

So it wasn't the job that killed him, it was the Wife.

Nevamind...

The wife died last year after being bedridden for a few years.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Your the one who doesnt travel anymore....dont hate on me...

And my sisters kids will get nothing....my 3 foreign wives will get it.

I have to pay $470 a month for medical and going up, the job market is booming and traveling at the moment bores me, so why go.

I have some raw swizzle 3 hours from home that I can have every month.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have to pay $470 a month for medical and going up, the job market is booming and traveling at the moment bores me, so why go.

I have some raw swizzle 3 hours from home that I can have every month.
    Good plan for now with your mother situation etc.....

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information