Thread: 08/2019 - Calle El Conde, Santo Domingo

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

08/2019 - Calle El Conde, Santo Domingo

Calle El Conde, Santo Domingo

I enjoy living in Puerto Plata especially being close to the beach. Puerto Plata can be a decent place to live especially if you make the right connections, however it is only a community of about 150,000 people and can get boring at times. I think I have found a new second home in the Dominican Republic and that is Santo Domingo.

Since Santo Domingo is the largest city in the Dominican Republic it is more diverse with a myriad of different things to do just like any major urban area. Although I am excited every time I am in the city between the traffic and the cost of living I prefer living in Puerto Plata.

Recently I have fallen in love with the Colonial Zone more specifically Calle El Conde. Calle El Conde runs west to east beginning at the Parque Independencia traveling through to the end at Paseo Presidente Billini which is an extension of Avenida George Washington.

In front of Parque Independencia is Paco's Café

conde1.jpgconde2.jpg

Paco's Café is open 24-7 and it can make a great meeting place as well as pros hang out in the area sometimes. It has also become a frequenting place for the homosexual community also.

It is common to see people playing chess or dominos in the area.

conde3.jpgconde4.jpg

There would be no El Conde without Bon Helado. They have almost any flavor of ice cream you can imagine you just have to be able to pronounce it in Spanish...Haaaaaaaaaaaa!

conde5.jpg
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Calle El Conde, Santo Domingo

There are plenty of restaurants on El Conde

There are restaurants and several bars not only on El Conde but the side streets. I don't eat much pizza nowadays but I decided to stop in to Pizza Hut to get a taste.

pizza1.jpgpizza2.jpg

Pizza Hut is the only U.S. chain in the area that I know of. I enjoy walking off onto the side streets because of the small cafes bars and restaurants that have less of a touristy feel and more of an eclectic ambiance.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Hey Cam...Here is that old church we were trying to find. I might have shown you before..I forget..

Anyway another example of cool things going on in the colonial zone. They do weddings here too...

I spent my last 2 trips walking all over the zone. So many cool places to explore. I want to find more of the bar scene. I see discos on my chicas Instagram feeds. I was in one bar and saw couple high end hookers. the street ones are rats...I changed it up this next trip to Boca but will be back. Best thing about staying in Santo Domingo city proper is the chicas can get to you easy with just 300 pesos most times taxi. There are a few expats around but not a lot. Cam introduced me to a few. Yayows old stomping ground.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hotel Conde Penalba

The Hotel Conde Penabla begins a different section of El Conde in front of the First Cathedral of the Americas. It is an old colonial style building with balconies that overlook the park and a restaurant downstairs

1.jpg2.jpg

One of the best things about El Conde is the amateur musicians some of them are quite good. Always keep some small bills when I am in the area because I like to drop something in their buckets for their effort.

5.jpg3.jpg

Of course there is always the people watching

4.jpg6.jpg

I enjoyed the fire show in front of the Columbus statue

20190816_181722.jpg20190816_181710.jpg
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (2.54 MB, 5 vistas)

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

El Conde at night

When the sun sets the vibe on El Conde changes. First there are fewer obviously touristy types walking around, the vibe is still semi touristy but it puts you in the mind of Greenwich Village with the diverse group of people walking to and fro.

I love the ambiance of the lights after dark.

N1.jpgN2.jpg

Most of the times you can readily identify the pros who are in the area. Some will make eye contact, speak wave or do whatever to get your attention. However, there are families, single chics and couples in the area also due to the various restaurants, cafes and bars.

N3.jpgN4.jpg

N5.jpgN6.jpg

I had two interesting experiences, the first was I saw an old Sosua chic in the area she started a conversation and wanted me to take her but I passed. I did not bother ask why she changed sex venues. Second I have been chatting with a Badoo chic who ahs been reluctant to give me her number. This chic informed me she saw me on El Conde but she didn't say why she didn't say anything. I think she's a regular chic but who knows?

Conclusion for now...

I like El Conde because of the vibe and the mix of people you can encounter there. I am not excited by the touts who are trying to sell things but I guess they have to make a living. I will never forget about 5 years ago trying to get a haircut and shave and the up sold me for other services. The shave was about 300 pesos and they tried to get me for 1500 pesos I pitched a fit and left giving them about 500 pesos. Safe to say I will never get a shave on El Conde again.

I do not like being treated like a tourist, but I do understand that those who are soliciting are only trying to eat so I try to be polite and keep it moving.
    There are regular chics eating walking to and from work etc so if you have game go for it, and of course the pros just need to be met with the right price. I have been using the El Conde as a dating venue with chics I have previously met and it is working perfect for me.

I plan to return frequently because there ae so many places to visit it would take many visits to experience them all.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 774 Posts

Thanks Camaro for all the great trip reports and advice that you share with us. The information is entertaining and invaluable as on the ground information. So many of us would like to be in your position traveling in the dr with chicas or looking for chicas in good places on your terms. Good luck always and safe travels.
    SouthCoast

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drjetman For This Useful Post:

Thread Information