Thread: E-mail I just got from a charterboat captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,303 Posts

E-mail I just got from a charterboat captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what john miller- a charterboat captain I was booking with sent me.......

hello sorry i cant do it..
    and some other info they fishing trips at the plaza at playa dorada...SAVE YOUR MONEY..... they are really bad....
    also i dont know if your here for the ladies but if you are.... be CAREFUL.... only they want your money and if they have a chance to rob you they will.....
    its become dangerous down here they killed a fellow from the states last week and some guys i had down here last they got robbed on the beach the other day 3 guys put guns to their heads and took all their money.. had a other guy 2 weeks ago.... after they robbed him with guns he gave them every thing he had.... he turned to got away and one guy stabbed him in his back.. hes still in bad shape now....
    might be time for me to leave this country.... its one sick place.... fathers make love to their 8 year old daughters, they lie and cheat with a big smile on their face...
    have a good vaction..

I'm going to call him today to get the whole story.

Has anybody heard anything about this happening???????????? We know some areas should not be visited like the beach at night by yourself. I didn't get the specifics yet but I will.

BTW........fellas we need another charter cause that WAS the one I was going to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chicas....."Don't walk around like yo shit don't stink cause I'm DEPUTY DAWG I'll put yo booty in the KLINK!!!!!!"

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts
    And crime rises as the peso turns to shit, hotels and factories lay off workers.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    And crime rises as the peso turns to shit, hotels and factories lay off workers.
    So are you saying that the Father stories are true...

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wsj3
    Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    So are you saying that the Father stories are true...
    No way papi.

Thanks
    since i had to change my trip.. when was/is the fishing trip planned for.

If what he said it true it is sick.. if what he said is untrue but yet he still insinuated its sick... but what was his point is saying it, i mean hell that shit goes on in America too. I mean look @ that guy form the Patriots

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts
    Dawg, no tourist from the states was killed last week or any other week. Maybe an ex-pat who fucked someone on a business deal. Stay in El Batey or Puerto Plata at night and no problem. You know that. I only go to Charamicos at night if i am with a trusted local. I drive everywhere else at night. The cost of a rental vs. shipping a dead body home is well worth it. There is always someone in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just make sure it is not you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 412 Posts
    hey guys ,, how long have some of you been going to the dominican?? ,, anything like this happen to you?? did you ever put yourself in a position for this to happen to you?? lets face it, people are people and crime shall happen anywhere there is $$,, so it does exist ,,,and it happens everywhere in the world,, i think the successful monger is the safe monger,, the smart monger ,,, we make enough $$ to go there every month or 2 ,, so we must be smart enough to stay out of trouble,,, only idiots will get into those type of siyiuations,,,

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sosuaman
    hey guys ,, how long have some of you been going to the dominican?? ,, anything like this happen to you?? did you ever put yourself in a position for this to happen to you?? lets face it, people are people and crime shall happen anywhere there is $$,, so it does exist ,,,and it happens everywhere in the world,, i think the successful monger is the safe monger,, the smart monger ,,, we make enough $$ to go there every month or 2 ,, so we must be smart enough to stay out of trouble,,, only idiots will get into those type of siyiuations,,,
    I've made six trips in the last year. Always traveling be myself. Never had any problems like those described above, and never saw any other gringo's having problems.

I do however try to maintain "situational awareness at all times".

So hey,,,, [size=18]hey[/size]....."Lets be careful out there".

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Re: E-mail I just got from a charterboat captain!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DEPUTY DAWG
    Here is what john miller- a charterboat captain I was booking with sent me.......

hello sorry i cant do it..
    and some other info they fishing trips at the plaza at playa dorada...SAVE YOUR MONEY..... they are really bad....
    also i dont know if your here for the ladies but if you are.... be CAREFUL.... only they want your money and if they have a chance to rob you they will.....
    its become dangerous down here they killed a fellow from the states last week and some guys i had down here last they got robbed on the beach the other day 3 guys put guns to their heads and took all their money.. had a other guy 2 weeks ago.... after they robbed him with guns he gave them every thing he had.... he turned to got away and one guy stabbed him in his back.. hes still in bad shape now....
    might be time for me to leave this country.... its one sick place.... fathers make love to their 8 year old daughters, they lie and cheat with a big smile on their face...
    have a good vaction..

I'm going to call him today to get the whole story.

Has anybody heard anything about this happening???????????? We know some areas should not be visited like the beach at night by yourself. I didn't get the specifics yet but I will.

BTW........fellas we need another charter cause that WAS the one I was going to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Makes sense ... all that money flashin in your face has to be tempting. Easy for a Dominican to pick up a gat in the DR. Seems like several folks from ISOC have gotten robbed this year, but haven't heard about gun point. I think there was a bus load of tourists earlier in the year that got stuck up, but not in Sosua.

Thanks
    A good friend (non-internet) was beat and robbed right outside the gates of his Boca Chica hotel last fall. He's been traveling to DR for 15+ years and is fluent in Spanish, but it still happened to him.

My Italian hotel neighbors were robbed blind by some whores, back in January. They didn't have two cents to rub together and had to have family/friends wire them the money from Italy.

I think it's just a matter of time and degree, when it comes to theft and assault. I've been lucky so far, but I'm sure that it will happen to me as well. 5 months or 5 years from now, it's probably going to happen.

-Helpmann

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Re: E-mail I just got from a charterboat captain!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DEPUTY DAWG
    Here is what john miller- a charterboat captain I was booking with sent me.......its become dangerous down here they killed a fellow from the states last week and some guys i had down here last they got robbed on the beach the other day 3 guys put guns to their heads and took all their money.. had a other guy 2 weeks ago.... after they robbed him with guns he gave them every thing he had.... he turned to got away and one guy stabbed him in his back.. hes still in bad shape now....
    Seems like its getting noticeably more dangerous in Sosua? I’d be interested in hearing from some of the other folks that own businesses or are there for 6 months or more a year. I’ve heard some very disturbing news recently.

Thanks
    Yeah I have to say the number of events have ben rising, but I still say when it comes down to it, you have to be smart, something I am going to do this trip differently

1. Travel light, I mean reaolistically I am only going for 4 days. Do I REALLLY need my lap top.

2. Instead of dealing with the guys on the street to exchange the money go to a atm durning the day or go to a cambio in another close city like POP or Cabarete, so everyone on the street doesn't see you exchanging the money

3. Don't tell every chica where you are. Most times, especially if you are on the north coast, where you are taking them for the night is a lot better than where they are living, so why should she care where she is going. for the random fucks you may have during the day, take em to a Cabana.

4. Dont be seen traveling with a lot of chicas. Thats in instant indicator of $$$. I get freebies a lot of the times, but they are in the mind set see man with chica = he is paying. Women lie and say they have gotten more money from a man than they really got, I have seen this happen a few times also

5. Don't buy the bar out, its ok have fun and get a few drinks but getting many drinks means you are flashing your money also it impairs your awareness.

6. Be smart. Realize even though most security is getting paid pretty good, things are still hard for them and the prices for goods are going up for them also. Also with the layoffs, they are probobaly responisible for more people financially.

7. Make friends with the Politur and the security. I always give them a hello, and buy at least one of the guards a beer, six pack or something....they are human beings its harder to do ill will against someone you know rather than someone you don't.

Realize people this is a very hard time for them. A rising peso if very good for us as tourist, but it is also very bad for them, don't rub your riches in their face. How would you feel if someone came to your house, picked up you sister to fuck her, they came in her face and tried to break her in half, and tried their best to give her the least bit of money possible, then instead on being a gentleman and bring her back they put her on your friends or your worst enemies motorcycle @ 5 am. While as a child you grow up looking at people do this to your mother.

Think outside the box sometimes fellas. I am as bad sexually as the rest of you guys are, but I still try and treat everone I meet and deal with the respect I expect to receive.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to will_blueprint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These kinds of things can happen to anyone anywhere. We should always try not to put ourselves in a situation with potenial for problems or a bad situation. Especially when I am hanging out at the locals bars and areas I always have a local guy with me. Knock on wood, so far so good. Just another reason I like having my driver.

Thanks

Re: E-mail I just got from a charterboat captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is really no security issue if you don´t make yourselves a target.

1) No watches, bracelets, earings, or any type of adornment!

2) Wear what the local wear, You don´t see any locals using any type of bermudas or khakis or sandles. Use jeans + any sort of collared shirt.
    3) Don´t flash the cash. Have less than 3000 on you at any time. If you need more, stuff it in your socks.
    4) Do not use ATMs. Do not have Dollars. Change them at the Hotel - Not on the Street.
    5) Do not use a wallet. Take 1 credit card and place in your pocket with the 3,000.
    6) Minimize alcohol. It reduces performance anyway.

7) Avoid at all costs, anybody who even talks about drugs (maja, coke, etc). This is not the place to see the inside of a jail cell. These folks are very liberal about most things EXCEPT DRUGS.

Happy hunting

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Tiburon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I can't argue with your advice, but I'm just wondering why you added it to a thread 30 months old. Are you a member of a Resurrection cult?

I have always used ATMs without problem, but in the light of recent posts on DR1 I will in future take my card inside the bank and ask a teller to issue the money whenever possible.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

JUST FOUND THE SITE 3 DAYS AGO.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Tiburon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 1,957 Posts

thanks for the post and welcome to the site

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Are you a member of a Resurrection cult?
    your killing me over here!
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VANHORNYA View Post
    JUST FOUND THE SITE 3 DAYS AGO.
    Actually the joke's on me, because I have just noticed this thread is a Sticky, which explains why you came across it so easily in your first few days. Anyway, good to have you on board. Welcome to ISOC!

Next question is to mods: Why is a 30-month-old post about chartering a fishing boat a sticky?

I'm old and confused

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thread Information