Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When is the best time to purposely get bumped??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,495 Times in 1,330 Posts

Re: When is the best time to purposely get bumped??

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Remember, NEGOTIATE!! NEVER take the first offer. The gate agents arn't losing anything when they give up vouchers and tickets.

Be as friendly as you can be with them, treat them right. They deal with a TON of assholes everyday, so when a courteous dude comes along, they remember him. BELEIVE ME..

Be upbeat, Smile, treat them cool, NEGOTIATE. If they offer one ticket, tell them to make it two. Ask for $$.

It's NOT THEIR MONEY! THEY DO IT EVERYDAY WITH TONS OF GUYS....
    my cousin and her husband just got bumped on a return flight from sweden, they were put up in 5 star accomodations and offered a choice of either 3,400us or 4 r/t tickets.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BCell For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

My point exactly.. I've lost count of how many times I've volunteered, the only flights I couldn't get shit on was the PR-DR flights. All they'll do is stick you in the airport hotel, a real dump.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

OVERALL I'D SAY IT WAS A SUCCESS!!!!!!

It could have been better but a success never-the-less.

My ticket was as follows:

American Airlines
    Leave Sat. 12/22/07 JFK - STI (santiago)
    Return Tues. 12/25/07 $600

Ok, there's 2 non-stop flights daily from JFK to Santiago. They depart at 6am and 1pm.

So i booked the 6am on 12/22. I got to the airport early, checked in and camped out at the departure gate. At around 5:20am, an agent shows up at the gate. I make sure i'm first on line and have the agent put me on the "volunteer" list.

By this time it was a mad house at the gate. You would have thought this was the last plane out before the bombing of New York. They were overbooked by about 20 so i was a lock to get bumped. And i was the only volunteer. Didn't really need any of the information in the thread. It all seemed to take care of itself. I'm sure it was because of the Holidays.

So when it was time to board, they called my name and asked for my seat. They only offered me a $300 voucher and $10 for a meal because they booked me on the next flight leaving in 7 hours.

At 1pm, same thing! Mad house at the gate. Placed my name on the volunteer list and got the call. This time around, they booked me on the 6am flight the next day, offered a $500 voucher, $20 for meals, overnite hotel stay and get this, a rental car!

This brings us to Sunday, 12/23. I was bumped off the 6am flight and offered $300 and a meal.

I was not fortunate enough to get bumped again and was placed on the 1pm flight on 12/23. Arrived in Santiago that evening and stayed at the condo of one of my Santiago regulars.

On Monday, Christmas eve (which is the real holiday in DR), i drove to Sosua and booked a room at Hotel Romanoff. I called on one of my regulars who was preparing dinner at her parents house in Puerto Plata, to come see me for a few hours.

Later that evening, i ventured out onto the strip and was surprized to see the streets filled with TOTO. Ok, it wasn't the usual 300 chicas floating around but more like 150! (which is more than enough toto to go around) Found something i liked, clubbed her in the head and dragged it back to the cave. A good time was had by all!

Tuesday, 12/25 i departed from Santiago and made it back to New York in time for Christmas dinner. What an adventure!

In conclusion, i paid $600 for the ticket and received $1100 in vouchers, 2 nights in DR and still enjoyed my Christmas in New York. It could have been more but i'd call it a success.

5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 376 Posts

I am flying COntinental to POP over Easter weekend. Getting bumped is possible on this very busy weekend. ANyone know what the recent deals are in relations to BUMPs. Almost every time I've gone at Easter time it has been offered either on there way there or back. I have never accepted before. My ticket was very expensive: $900 and I am pretty sure the flight is sold out.

Just wondering what I can expect. . . have things changed since this thread started? I talked to someone on the phone at COntinental, and she said if I get bumped my voucher would cover the amount I paid, so in this case $900. TO be honest, I was going to pay that much, but in the back of my mind I rationalized it by promising myself I'd take the bump and benefits if offered.

I would be happy with flying the next day, a free round trip voucher for the next trip, and some $$.

Don't really need a hotel , I would turn it down if it meant more cash or vouchers. Would rather have some more $$ for blow in POP. Anyone have recent experience with Continental from NY/NJ area?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Revolutionrock77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This week Continental in POP was offering $500, 1st class on next flight, Playa Dorado stay and free roundtrip taxi.

Always negociate but don't lose your place on the volunteer line.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    This week Continental in POP was offering $500, 1st class on next flight, Playa Dorado stay and free roundtrip taxi.

Always negociate but don't lose your place on the volunteer line.
    PSRICHES:

Not sure if i understand. Should I put myself on the volunteer list ?. . can I refuse still if I don't get a good deal? Would it better to wait and see if they ask for volunteers?

I was worried that if I am on the volunteer list I can't negotiate.
    Last edited by Revolutionrock77; 04-04-2009 at 11:34 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Revolutionrock77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionrock77 View Post
    PSRICHES:

Not sure if i understand. Should I put myself on the volunteer list ?. . can I refuse still if I don't get a good deal? Would it better to wait and see if they ask for volunteers?

I was worried that if I am on the volunteer list I can't negotiate.
    The volunteer list just means they will make the offer to whoever's first on the list. Yes, you can still negociate once you're on the list and get called. And you can still refuse if you don't get a good deal. They won't give up your seat unless you give that consent.

What i meant by not losing your place in line, is being semi-forceful but very polite. Don't let them start talking to the next person until they finish dealing with you. The process is very quick.

The things you want at the very least are, a voucher that will at minimum cover another ticket, hotel stay, transportation to/fro, guranteed seat on next flight/not stand by and maybe first class and meal vouchers.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Many places have long lists so if you wait until they call for volonteers, you are out of luck. Coming home from Sosua, I was usually #1 on that list and they would get up to 30 additional names.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

The volunteer list just means they will make the offer to whoever's first on the list. .
    Do they start a list only during the busy season or do they do this pretty much all year round?

CO512 & CO712 to POP are full most of the year but I've only seen them asking for volunteers durning busy times. Which could mean they already went thru the list?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    Do they start a list only during the busy season or do they do this pretty much all year round?

CO512 & CO712 to POP are full most of the year but I've only seen them asking for volunteers durning busy times. Which could mean they already went thru the list?

They will always be happy to put your name on a list except if the plane is half full.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Very educational thread, I have never gotten bumped, didn't even know about the list, but thanks to all of you, I am now aware and will probably try it sometime in the future. Again thanks for the info.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

If you fly out of POP or STI, the AA customer service staff stays the same and over time, after they know you, they may upgrade you for offering to go on the list every trip. I have been upgraded a few times as well.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Jimmy ad Psriches:

thanks, that info is really helpful. Was last thing I wanted to ask. I will check in electronically on Continental.com

Where to I try to get on the list, at the gate for my flight or where the other passengers form a line to checking in ?

thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jimmy ad Psriches:

thanks, that info is really helpful. Was last thing I wanted to ask. I will check in electronically on Continental.com

Where to I try to get on the list, at the gate for my flight or where the other passengers form a line to checking in ?

thanks!
    Just go to the counter and sign up, BUT make sure they hold your luggage back. You can't stay behind if your luggage gets loaded.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Just go to the counter and sign up, BUT make sure they hold your luggage back. You can't stay behind if your luggage gets loaded.
    Ok, thanks Jimmy. I guess that means the check in counter. I will check in electronically, and then see about getting on the list from the check in area.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Revolutionrock77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok, thanks Jimmy. I guess that means the check in counter. I will check in electronically, and then see about getting on the list from the check in area.
    Yes the check in counter. If you wait until you get to the gate you will be too late. The key is too be first on that list. It shouldn't be that difficult because most Dominicans are not giving up their seat.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If I'm lucky I will get bumped on GOod Friday and AGAIN the next weekend when the crowds are coming home to return to work.

I purposely booked to come home a day earlier than I wanted too with that intention.

Hope it works out!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revolutionrock77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: DR during the Holidays

copied from another thread
    And if you're traveling on American or an airline with multiple flights a day, take the bump. Put your name on the list as soon as you walk up to check in. You can always remove yourself from the list or just turn down the bump if called later on. In some cases, the bump just means arriving at 6pm instead of 2pm. In my thread you'll see my trip ended up being free with additional free trips thrown in.
    Last edited by psriches; 11-10-2009 at 08:48 PM.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

OVERALL I'D SAY IT WAS A SUCCESS!!!!!!

It could have been better but a success never-the-less.

My ticket was as follows:

American Airlines
    Leave Sat. 12/22/07 JFK - STI (santiago)
    Return Tues. 12/25/07 $600

Ok, there's 2 non-stop flights daily from JFK to Santiago. They depart at 6am and 1pm.

So i booked the 6am on 12/22. I got to the airport early, checked in and camped out at the departure gate. At around 5:20am, an agent shows up at the gate. I make sure i'm first on line and have the agent put me on the "volunteer" list.

By this time it was a mad house at the gate. You would have thought this was the last plane out before the bombing of New York. They were overbooked by about 20 so i was a lock to get bumped. And i was the only volunteer. Didn't really need any of the information in the thread. It all seemed to take care of itself. I'm sure it was because of the Holidays.

So when it was time to board, they called my name and asked for my seat. They only offered me a $300 voucher and $10 for a meal because they booked me on the next flight leaving in 7 hours.

At 1pm, same thing! Mad house at the gate. Placed my name on the volunteer list and got the call. This time around, they booked me on the 6am flight the next day, offered a $500 voucher, $20 for meals, overnite hotel stay and get this, a rental car!

This brings us to Sunday, 12/23. I was bumped off the 6am flight and offered $300 and a meal.

I was not fortunate enough to get bumped again and was placed on the 1pm flight on 12/23. Arrived in Santiago that evening and stayed at the condo of one of my Santiago regulars.

On Monday, Christmas eve (which is the real holiday in DR), i drove to Sosua and booked a room at Hotel Romanoff. I called on one of my regulars who was preparing dinner at her parents house in Puerto Plata, to come see me for a few hours.

Later that evening, i ventured out onto the strip and was surprized to see the streets filled with TOTO. Ok, it wasn't the usual 300 chicas floating around but more like 150! (which is more than enough toto to go around) Found something i liked, clubbed her in the head and dragged it back to the cave. A good time was had by all!

Tuesday, 12/25 i departed from Santiago and made it back to New York in time for Christmas dinner. What an adventure!

In conclusion, i paid $600 for the ticket and received $1100 in vouchers, 2 nights in DR and still enjoyed my Christmas in New York. It could have been more but i'd call it a success.
    OK, time to plan my annual "Christmas Bump" trip. I just purchased my ticket. Hopefully it will be another success!!!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

OK, time to plan my annual "Christmas Bump" trip. I just purchased my ticket. Hopefully it will be another success!!!
    The 22nd ruined and then only have one full day there before having to turn around and fight an airport again to gain 500 in voucher. You got me beat I ain't that patient. I hope it works out for you again.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information