Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Dean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 520 Posts

Re: Hurricane Dean

Yeah, that sucks! I'm watching the news right now. Some people in Jamaica are taking this serious by getting out and stocking up on groceries, but many are just taking it easy playing golf!! Crazy!

CAT 4. Haiti may take a good beating too. Glad I'm not in the DR right now...(that is probably the ONLY time I would ever say that!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,498 Times in 5,141 Posts

I just checked the weather in Medellin for my trip and it looks like there will be scattered thunderstorms through Wednesday. It makes no difference to me. I will be fucking chicas indoors.
    HAVE FUN AND ENJOY LIFE!!!
    HAPPINESS TAKES WORK!!!
    FIGHT FOR IT!!!!!!!!

Chewie, get us out of here!!

OH, and I almost forgot, If I am a Post Whore then at least I am DISEASE FREE, MUTHAFUCKAS!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blacksultan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Im sure itll be ok on the north coast. theyll probably get a windy rainy day but nothing too crazy like the south coast.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Galveston, Texas is having a press conference right now warning residents about Dean. They think it may be a CAT 5 by the time it gets to the US. Mother Nature is a bitch!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,607 Times in 5,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    Chicas must freak out in 70-80mph wind not being able to work for 2 or 3 days.
    I think the best thing to do before a hurricane is to ask 1-2 of your favourite girls to move in to your room with you so that they stay during the whole period, because you will be unlikely to find many other options around once the torrential rainfall starts.

I learnt that lesson the hard way...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blacksultan View Post
    I just checked the weather in Medellin for my trip and it looks like there will be scattered thunderstorms through Wednesday. It makes no difference to me. I will be fucking chicas indoors.
    Have fun buddy (I know you will)! Stay safe and tap that ass!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3somefan View Post
    Galveston, Texas is having a press conference right now warning residents about Dean. They think it may be a CAT 5 by the time it gets to the US. Mother Nature is a bitch!
    Then they need to evacuate Galveston now!!!!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to blacksultan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    I think the best thing to do before a hurricane is to ask 1-2 of your favourite girls to move in to your room with you so that they stay during the whole period, because you will be unlikely to find many other options around once the torrential rainfall starts.

I learnt that lesson the hard way...
    Good idea, hem up that "rainy day" chocha.

Thanks

I heard all flights to south america will be cancelled from late today until this hurricane thing is all finished up by next weekend.

Thanks

Huracan Dean
    La Romana, RD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    I heard all flights to south america will be cancelled from late today until this hurricane thing is all finished up by next weekend.
    That shit aint funny.

Thanks

http://espanol.weather.com/maps/acti..._animated.html

the aye pass to sur of Dominican Rep

19. The Following User Says Thank You to solrasiul For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solrasiul View Post
    Huracan Dean
    La Romana, RD

hrmm I wonder what that means?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solrasiul View Post
    http://espanol.weather.com/maps/acti..._animated.html

the aye pass to sur of Dominican Rep
    The south coast is definitely going to catch it somewhat based on the satellite data.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    Rocky,

Everyone knows that hurricanes can hit the entire North Coast, and Sosua is no exception.

I was unfortunate enough to witness this myself in September 2004 as I was in Sosua when hurricane Jeanne hit the DR. Samana was the most damaged, but it also affected many other towns, including Sosua (blown down trees, torn off roofs, flooding, etc).

According to what some locals told me, Jeanne was relatively mild compared to other hurricanes that they had seen in the town in the past.

And for those who are curious: yes, when a hurricane hits the town it spoils the fun for a few days because most girls don’t like to get out of their houses while there are 70-80 mph winds or 2-day long, non-stop torrential rains.
    Actually, everybody who knows, could tell you that Jeanne was NOT a hurricane when she came through here at tropical storm level.
    She picked up strength when out to see and regained hurricane status and whacked the heck out of the US's Eastern seaboard,
    I have lived here for 16 years, never seen a hurricane, and I know nobody who knows of one that ever hit Sosua, although there may be one on record somewhere.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rocky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,057 Posts

There seems to be some folks who are under the impression that Dean is coming though the DR, which it is not.
    Here's it's present track.
    The Barahona area may take a bit of a hit, but certainly not dead on.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocky For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

the north coast has felt the effects of hurricanes and tropical storms but
    i can find nothing on record of a direct hit on the Sosua area...ever.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    For those who don't already know, Sosua and surrounding areas never get hit by hurricanes.
    At best, we get storms as a result of them passing by.
    Yes, it doesn't happen often but the North can get hit just like everywhere else.

Below, some posts on other sites about September 2004 Tropical Storm Jeanne which hit the entire north coast of DR. I had just left before it hit but i think Knotty was caught!!!!!

"Jeanne has arrived. Sosua has been getting wind for the past several hours, but not like now, as Gringo and Eddy have reported.

True the winds have dropped to 65 mph sustained, but I'm not complaining. The NHC is very surprised that we are getting that much wind since the storm has been over land for more than 24 hours:

IT IS KIND OF SURPRISING THAT JEANNE HAS KEPT SUCH A WELL-DEFINED CLOUD PATTERN AFTER BEING OVER LAND FOR ABOUT A DAY. INITIAL INTENSITY HAS BEEN ADJUSTED DOWN TO 55 KNOTS BASED ON A MAX WIND FROM THE RECON OF 63 KNOTS. IT APPEARS THAT
    JEANNE WILL BE INTERACTING WITH HISPANIOLA FOR 12 MORE HOURS AND IF
    SURVIVES...IT COULD REGAIN HURRICANE STATUS AS INDICATED IN THE
    OFFICIAL FORECAST. IT IS GOOD TO POINT OUT THAT...HISTORICALLY...
    NOT MANY TROPICAL CYCLONES SURVIVE THE PATH ACROSS THE HIGH TERRAIN OF HISPANIOLA. "

"One of the maintenance men for our condo in Sosua just reported for work. He said he saw many trees, branches, signs, etc., on the ground on his way to work in his car. The night man can't leave because public transportation isn't running. Maybe just as well. His home isn't much better than a campesino's casita."

"As of the 8:00am advisories, Jeanne is still inland less than 10 miles south of Luperon and Cabo Isabela. She will probably head out to sea on her current track of 300 degrees at 8 mph. The bad news is that the winds to the southeast of the storm are twice as strong as those to the southwest so the North Coast from Cabo Isabela down to Nagua is probably being hammered pretty badly as we speak."

"It's 10:08 here in POP and it's just as bad as it's been all since he middle of the night. IT IS CERTAINLY NOT LETTING UP HERE."

"Just walked to Playero Supermarket on the highway and back.

1. Traffic light suspended over intersection by Playero and Bommarito buildings is gone.

2. Branches down all over town. Trees, too,in some locations

3. Biggest problem that I saw is Pedro Clisante, the main street through the center of Sosua. The street is full of branches, downed trees and trees leaning against the power lines. Lots of people cleaning it up, including police and firemen, but I doubt if cars will be able to get through the street tomorrow, and it will be awhile before power to those businesses is restored. Power lines not knocked down by falling branches and trees are being knocked down by the falling trees that are being cut down because they are partially uprooted and leaning against the power lines."

"Most all the trees over the road between Cabarete and Sosua have been cleared - I estimate there must have been 30 or more trees blocking the road. The power and telephone lines, poles and infrastructure is quite damaged with power poles and power lines just everywhere. I saw cars with pieces of store signage sticking our of their roofs and bodies.

The Cabarete main street still looks like the remnants of a war zone. Many little stores around the main road are now beginning to open however. Many cleanup crews around and many people doing repairs and reparations. It will be a number of days I think before the power and telephone situation is restored to normal.

Going into ProCab was quite shock. There must be at least 5 power/telephone poles lying across the road (now pushed out of the way a little) and power/telephone lines everywhere. I saw one house with quite a large tree sticking out of its roof. There is quite a bit of flooding and my granddaughter (3) pointed out the road to me, saying "See, this is now my river!"

Even so, there were many tourists around walking around the debris, ducking under precariously hanging signs and trying to buy stuff on the main street. People seem to be going about their business, whether it is cleanup, hanging around with a beer in the hand, or playing tourist, quite happily.

Lots of damage in Cabarete."

"But in looking at the damage close to home around Sosua, it can never be said that 'it's only a tropical storm'. And we certainly got the least of it, even in comparison to Cabarete, by Chris's report. I will do my part in future to emphasize the destructive potential, now that I've seen it with my own eyes.

What is awesome and terrifying is that it's all fluke, exactly where the wind lands its fiercest blows. I guess tornados are even worse for pinpoint destruction. I wonder if there were mini tornados mixed up with this storm while it was blowing?

I know very little about it, but now I understand why those who've been here a while and the sailors among us are so well informed as to the nature of storms.

It is also disheartening to know that the destruction continues well after the wind dies, by way of floods and potentially much greater loss of life."

"And that is exactly what I will take away from this experience - this sentence has been going over and over in my mind for the past two days. It is not "only a tropical storm". "Only a tropical storm" does not take away houses, flood housing developments and create the destruction that I've seen travelling through Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete. sjh down in Nagua, does not have a roof left on any of his farm structures. This was a serious storm, and I will remember how it was downgraded to a tropical storm, when the winds were blowing 4 miles less than hurricane strength, and people felt relieved. "

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,607 Times in 5,261 Posts

Actually, everybody who knows, could tell you that Jeanne was NOT a hurricane when she came through here at tropical storm level.
    She picked up strength when out to see and regained hurricane status and whacked the heck out of the US's Eastern seaboard,
    I have lived here for 16 years, never seen a hurricane, and I know nobody who knows of one that ever hit Sosua, although there may be one on record somewhere.
    It is no secret that hurricanes weaken when they touch land, and Jeanne touched land in the east of the island so it went down from category 3 to tropical storm along its way. When it hit Haiti it was even weaker than it was in Sosua and it killed about 3,000 people because of their crap infrastructures.

Anyway, my point was that your statement that ‘Sosua and surrounding areas never get hit by hurricanes’ is not true.

Let me refresh your memory a bit, read this advisory at the time for Jeanne (2004):

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2004...ic_a.012.shtml

Do you see the sentence ‘A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC FROM PUERTO PLATA TO ISLA SAONA’?

Sosua was included in the hurricane warning area according to the NHC, and do you know why? Because Sosua can also be hit by hurricanes, in the same way as any other town on the island.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

There seems to be some folks who are under the impression that Dean is coming though the DR, which it is not.
    Here's it's present track.
    The Barahona area may take a bit of a hit, but certainly not dead on.
    I don't think there's anyone here that thinks Dean will hit DR. Most posts that i'm reading state it will pass to the south of the island. This is just a thread about a Hurricane that will pass close to OUR home so it interests some of us!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information