Thread: Adventurerentcar

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Adventurerentcar

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Hey Jimmy, I'm going down later this month and want to get from SD to Santiago, what do you think of Adventure Auto, you still recommend them? Any problems when you brought back the auto?

I may see you all in Sosua for New Year's no plans yet.

Ravel

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ravel456
    Hey Jimmy, I'm going down later this month and want to get from SD to Santiago, what do you think of Adventure Auto, you still recommend them? Any problems when you brought back the auto?

Ravel
    They are all the same, just check to see that you have a spare and that the wipers work.

Thanks

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ravel456

Ravel
    2 weeks ago, most of the SD rental car companies were booked for the holidays.

-Helpmann

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I rented my 1st time with them this last trip and I'll never rent again when I got there he was charging a complete diffrent price from the website this scumbag name is JASON out of PP, Im sticking with savings car rental for good in DR they give the best prices from what I seen and there cars never gave me a problem and they dont try to lie like that scumbag JASON!!!!!!!

Thanks
    well just like psriches said in other posts...it's best to rent from a car rental place like budget or avis or something like that...a lot of the places are scams...me personally, i rent from a place in sosua....he gives me a decent rate and i've never had problems with him...also, check and make sure your insurance company here in the states will cover any damage when you're in the DR

Thanks
    I have used Adventure on several occasions. The way to deal with them is not as a Gringo. Call Judy FIRST and establish some rapport with her. Get Jimmy to allow you to drop his name.

I have found their prices are MUCH less than the other companies. It was high season on our last trip to the DR. The companies in the STI terminal were asking something like US$160 a DAY for a Montero...and that was IF they had a car. Adventure had a nice Honda CR-V for US$60; high mileage, but a good ride.

Keep in mind that a car in the DR is gonna take a fucking beating!!!

The single biggest exposure you are gonna have is if the car gets damaged-a HIGH probability in the DR (it's happened to us 3 times, and I heard a rumor DT got a busted windshield from a rock). YOU WILL GET FUCKED IF YOU TAKE A DAMAGED CAR BACK TO ANY CAR COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!! It is much better to get the car fixed and take it back, instead of taking it back damaged.

Last trip, in a teeny, tiny parking lot at a dry cleaners in Santiago, I rubbed the right rear fender against a concrete pole, and really screwed it up. In the US, it would have been a $1500 repeir MINUMUM. We drove the car like that. The day before leaving, my novias brother arranged for the car to be looked at by a friend of his in the body business. The guy said he would charge RD$17,000 to tourists. But because we were his friends' friend, it would be RD$4000. My friend complained, saying he was being a thief. We got the work done for RD$3000, plus 2 extra days car rental. I have NO DOUBT it would have cost US$1000+ if I took the car to Adventurecar damaged; then THEY would have taken it to get fixed for the RD$3000.

Keep in mind that labor-intensive items in the DR are cheap, but product-intensive items are very, very expensive.

Jason in the POP airport has always been straight up with me. He has met me there at 6:30am to leave; he's waited until 6pm to pick up a car. I tip him US$20, and he jumps through his a$$hole to give me what I need, a small price to pay to ensure excellent service.

Tell him you're a friend of the big white gringo private pilot from America in the Cessna, and you want the rate for locals; he may treat you right.

I always call Adventurecar first. They have done right with me. When I call for a car, I ALWAYS ask for Jason personally.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reel Deal
    I have used Adventure on several occasions. The way to deal with them is not as a Gringo. Call Judy FIRST and establish some rapport with her. Get Jimmy to allow you to drop his name.
    I don't normally rent cars so I am not known to most of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JimmyDR
    She knows you, Jimmy...

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts
    She knows you, Jimmy...
    That might be the place Vak rented his car from and I was with him.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmDR
    She knows you, Jimmy...
    That might be the place Vak rented his car from and I was with him.
    Good peeps there.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts
    I just book ahead of time with Budget on their web site. It's a name brand that i'm comfortable with. I book an economy car and if none available when i arrive, i'm upgraded at no extra cost to me. The rate is $28 plus tax/day with no hassles or extra's........ Never had a problem...

Thanks
    I always use a guy in sosua called Ivan. He is a very good and reasonable guy. He will pick you up from POP for free and if I remember right he has picked me from santiago for $20US or $25US. I always call him before I get there. I get a CRV Honda for $50/day. He speaks english which was a plus to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ud
    I always use a guy in sosua called Ivan. He is a very good and reasonable guy. He will pick you up from POP for free and if I remember right he has picked me from santiago for $20US or $25US. I always call him before I get there. I get a CRV Honda for $50/day. He speaks english which was a plus to me.
    do you know if he has any other cheaper cars for rent??...is he in Sosua??

Thanks
    I am not sure but I believe that he does and he is in sosua. His number is 8094284522

Thanks
    I am not sure but I believe that he does and he is in sosua. His number is 8094284522
    thanks....does he speak good english??

Thanks
    Yes he does. He speaks very good english. He also has a good heart (i.e. he is very willing to go out of his way to help)

Thanks
    Yes he does. He speaks very good english. He also has a good heart (i.e. he is very willing to go out of his way to help)
    thanks for that info...imma DEFINITELY give him a call tomorrow

Thanks
    Keep in mind that if you rent a car from a local guy and your car has a problem somewhere else (say Santiago or santo mDomingo), you're fucked. That is a big reason why I rent from Gypsy at Adventurecar. I've had a couple of problems (flat tire, and a broken rear suspension), and they came out right away and took care of it. Adventurecar is all over the DR so your butt is covered.

In the DR, unlike the US, expect problems with your car. The roads are brutal on them.

Thanks
    Keep in mind that if you rent a car from a local guy and your car has a problem somewhere else (say Santiago or santo mDomingo), you're fucked. That is a big reason why I rent from Gypsy at Adventurecar. I've had a couple of problems (flat tire, and a broken rear suspension), and they came out right away and took care of it. Adventurecar is all over the DR so your butt is covered.

In the DR, unlike the US, expect problems with your car. The roads are brutal on them.
    yeah, you're right about that also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information