Thread: Holy shit, did you see that?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Holy shit, did you see that?

Heading back to the Santiago airport there is a Police Checkpoint. the taxi pulls thru and they ask him to pull over. He hands the cop two pieces of paper then reaches under the seat and pulls out his gun and hands it too him. I asked what would happen if he had no papers. He said he would get arrested. WOW!

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: Holy shit, did you see that?

i once stopped for the cops between Cabarete and Sosua and the cop tried to shake me down for some money but got none, then on this last vacation same thing, a checkpoint around Casa Linda entrance, the cop vawed me down but i just kept driving, and one night at the traffic light in front of the Supermarket, there must've been 15 cops there, one saw a gringo and waved me to pull over, i slowed down and then slowly drove away. i read on DR1 only Amet (green uniforms) have the right to pull you over, and you're not to fuck with them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deniro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This was a real checkpoint set up to nab Dominicans with illegal guns. They never said a word to us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deniro View Post
    i once stopped for the cops between Cabarete and Sosua and the cop tried to shake me down for some money but got none, then on this last vacation same thing, a checkpoint around Casa Linda entrance, the cop vawed me down but i just kept driving, and one night at the traffic light in front of the Supermarket, there must've been 15 cops there, one saw a gringo and waved me to pull over, i slowed down and then slowly drove away. i read on DR1 only Amet (green uniforms) have the right to pull you over, and you're not to fuck with them.
    So, these people in green uniforms are the only people who can detain you? These are military uniforms?
    Searching for the ultimate Squirter!

Thanks

they are like highway patrol or state troopers or O.P.P. here, and from what i read on DR1 are very strict. the regular cops just stop gringos/tourists to try to shake them down for some quick cash, and if you don't stop will not give a chase. but then again, you never know.

i stopped once and the cop tried to shake me down for 200-300 pesos, twice i didn't stop and nobody chased after me.

Thanks

If they stop me, Is it possible to write down information (Badge Number, name) about them and report them ? I've seen them everywhere but they never bother me.

Thanks

I don t agree and would not follow that advise!

If there is a routine stop checkpoint... I would stop... you can tell if it is legit .... when you see 10 or 20 cops stopping traffic STOP (gringo or not you are presumed guilty and I have seen them shoot at the tires.... then arrest the people) especially if you see the Blue anmd Black Uniforms (DCND)...

During the beginning of a curfew, Elections or a Huelga you will see numerous checkpoints... they are looking for firearms and drugs... ussually when they look at the gringo they will just flag you thru.... while there is corruption they are not all corrupt

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tampabukkake For This Useful Post:

Thanks

true, DCND (and AMET) is definitely not to fuck with! but how can you tell if the check point is legit? i mean, the cops are cops and they have uniforms, badges and guns, and in any normal society if a law enforcement officer is pulling you over you are obligated to pull over. but the local Sosua cops are just trying to shake gringos/tourists down, just like they do with the putas. i guess if it's a slow day for them, and if the cop really has his eye on you he might chase after you and you'll have to pay more, but i'd say the chances of him going after you are very small.

Thanks

PS. the one time i did stop they didn't even have the Land Rover with them. just a few cops pulling cars over, but nonetheless, they where law enforcement officers in that country.

Thanks

A normal checkpoint is just as you will see anywhere in the world...

If you see 10 cops or soldiers with their guns drawn stopping traffic ... STOP ...

I don t agree that the 'local Sosua cops" try to shake tourist or gringos down ...

If you are stopped and are "shaken down" go to the Police Station the next morning and report their ass .... but if a cop says "you have a 100 pesos for me" that is not a shake down ...politely say no and be on your way... shit every chica in town ask you for 100 pesos... we don t consider that a shakedown

Now, I will repeat.... if you see a Checkpoint (that looks legit) ... STOP....

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tampabukkake For This Useful Post:

Thanks

report him to who? i'm sure the captain is getting his cut too. and how many tourists will have the balls to tell the cop "no, i don't have 100 pesos for you"? very few. that's extortion.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Deniro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

report him to who? i'm sure the captain is getting his cut too. and how many tourists will have the balls to tell the cop "no, i don't have 100 pesos for you"? very few. that's extortion.

No one bothers me in Sosua? Maybe in Boca they cause more trouble.

Thanks

no one bothered me in Sosua neither, and i think generally the cops are going about their business, just a few bad apples trying to score some quick cash on the side. who knows if they were even on-duty. put the uniform on and pull cars over. but i doubt reporting them would be fruitful in any way.

Thanks

in Boca's heyday the Politur was all over the place, last 2-3 time i went there there were maybe 2-3 cops hanging out on the corner.

Thanks

I live in Puerto Plata and have been visiting and living in Sosua for more than 5 years

I have been thru a number of checkpoints and 90 % of the time I am waved thru.... the others I have been asked if I have Drugs or Firearms... a polite no sends me on my way.... I have been frisked and had my Jeep searched 4 times... again with no problems.... with one exception... twice now they have taken my beer aways and emptied the bottle ....

I have been asked for help a couple of times in the form of 100 pesos... at no time did I think I was being extorted... a polite no worked for me.... on the other hand I have stopped and have given the policia a couple of hundred pesos and driven them to the gas station so they could put gas in their cars.... this has also helped me tremendously....

The closest I can say I was extorted.. I was driving past Imbert on my way to Santiago and was flagged down to stop by a two cops holding a radar gun... he told me I was going 90 KPH and I knew I was going 100 KPH so I knew his radar was bogus... he told me I could pay the 500 peso fine there or he would keep my drivers license until I paid the fine in Santiago.... I called his bluff and told him lets go to Santiago because I believe in upholding the law... after about 10 minutes of politely telling him I wasn t going to pay the fine there... he gave me my license back and told me to drive safe

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tampabukkake For This Useful Post:

Thanks

...just a few bad apples trying to score some quick cash on the side. ....
    Just as in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, Toronto, London, Paris, Mexico City, San Jose and all over the world!

My point is... if you observe the laws you won t have a problem.... if you approach a checkpoint ... STOP

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tampabukkake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,086 Times in 688 Posts

While driving in HOTO MAYOR there were 12 cop's doing a road block I told them I'm an AMERICAN and they waved me on....but held every dominican that came through......

Thread Information