Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare in Sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 3,768 Times in 930 Posts

Re: Nightmare in Sosua

It probably happened, things are not the way they were last year when i was there, everyone is complaining that there are no tourist and desperation is takeing over.
    There is not alot of opertunity in this land, Keep your eyes wide open when in sosua, this is not the place for a novice to be alone.
    I think we will start hearing more and more of this kind of thing rolling down the pike
    traveling the world in search of chicas, good friends and liveing life as if every day were my last

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bentwire For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman View Post
    Pure bullshit. 5 post count. All about Corruption. Looks like Escott wants everyone to move to Cabrera and buy his bankrupt villas.
    this might be true but gutta you cant deny there is alot of crap goin on down there now? not good for biz i understand but the last thing you want is a tourist goin down the first or second time and commin back with bad press...that's who's most likely to get caught in these police stops,and shakedowns, cuz they def dont see it commin..
    Last edited by El Tiburon; 09-01-2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: grammar

4. The Following User Says Thank You to El Tiburon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

I think there looks like some truth to this guys post. He even gave the names of the lawyers who were in on the scam and has come back and answered questions a few times. He seems scared which is the perfect victim for this type of scam as they wont say anything while they are in country and once they leave there wont be much that can be done anymore.

Kind of sad though how people are chastising the guy and calling him a liar and that hes too scared to do anything. They basically are calling it a story and bad press.

What if by some coincidence a lot of it is true? Theres no investigation and nobody believes it happened. Sounds great now they can do it again after things cool down.

This is typical behavior in the DR.

The pickpocket chicas who get caught all the time but are never dealt with properly by the police will ply thier trade without any fear in the same location. What do they have to lose if they get caught? Absolutely nothing if the victim catches them in the act they get away with it. If victim doesn't they get the money. Worst case they get chased down with the money and have to give it back and maybe spend a night in jail.

Most of the victims wont want to pay the additional fees to make the police lock the theif away for any amount of time.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

There probably is some truth to it, but he seems to be leaving things out and leaving the story open to faults being found. It could be he is upset and that is caused the errors or he is covering something up and it is coming back to him.

He said on DR1 he did not want the consulate's help That would be my first call.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    There probably is some truth to it, but he seems to be leaving things out and leaving the story open to faults being found. It could be he is upset and that is caused the errors or he is covering something up and it is coming back to him.

He said on DR1 he did not want the consulate's help That would be my first call.
    I definitely would be asking for my consulates help also but he stated he thought it would only be a report made out and sent to the dominican govt which could bring more problems back on him. Hes definitely scared shitless and quite possibly is covering something up but it should be investigated.

Another thing that amazes me is if hes this scared why hasnt he left the country?

Theres a lot of questionable stuff in there but it should be thoroughly investigated none the less.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

. Hes definitely scared shitless and quite possibly is covering something up but it should be investigated.

Another thing that amazes me is if hes this scared why hasnt he left the country?

let add this to the equation.... maybe he was lit up.. that might be true cuz you know how word gets around in sosua...he might have bought some shit from a motoconch and they rat-ed him out.. so the guys(police) have an inside track... thinkin "this guys knows he's coked up, he sould just pay and not want any publicity"...he's 38 def of age to be party-ing...but that's the way i would be goin.. i wouldn't be thinkin "hey thats impossible the cops would do that" yeah right!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Tiburon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

That story is BULLSHIT. Certain key items give him away.
    People who would do this type of thing would never let you see them dividing up the $, for many reasons. That never happened. NO way , no how.Scammers once they have your $, will still "follow through", with the bullshit game, they dont laugh in your face while counting the $, because its not personal, its strictly BUSINESS to them.
    The whole story is SHIT because if you exaggerate like that, what else are you distorting.
    And Why the Fuck would you not want the consulate's Help ? Who else is gonna save your sorry ass ,esp if you're out of $.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    That story is BULLSHIT. Certain key items give him away.
    , they dont laugh in your face while counting the $, because its not personal, its strictly BUSINESS to them.
    The whole story is SHIT because if you exaggerate like that, what else are you distorting.
    this could be his interpetation.. that he felt taken advantage of so in his mind felt they were laughing at him...if he saw them divy-ing up the money you can imagine how happy they were thinkin of the nights celebration.... there are def holes in the story.. but to say it never happened... i mean ,your on vacation, why would ya even want to post this now... wait till ya get home to come up with a shit story, i thnk he is there and askin for help while he's there and can do something before he leaves and problably never comes back....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 520 Posts

Whether this story is true in it's entirety or not, this is some crazy SHIT!!

A month or so back Rockey posted a thread about a guy being accused of murder and put in jail there with no evidence or witnesses... This place isn't sounding that attractive anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3somefan View Post
    Whether this story is true in it's entirety or not, this is some crazy SHIT!!

A month or so back Rockey posted a thread about a guy being accused of murder and put in jail there with no evidence or witnesses... This place isn't sounding that attractive anymore.
    either is downtown warkworth ontario canada....the murder capitol of canada

it got that celebrity staus for one murder in 2006 and a population of 800.(none for the previous 300 years)

so anyone can twist the stats to suit their needs
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I hear ya...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,597 Times in 967 Posts

sounds like somebody had a mishap with some hooker and is totally pissed of at the DR...in his story he was first walking the street at 10 pm...then all of a sudden he was sitting in a restaurant....bullshit...if that happens to you first thing after you get out you call your embassy or a representative...I have been her for 17 years but never heard such a bullshit...
    if that would have happened on a regular basis ther practically would be no foreigners living here.
    just my opinion...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jensenspecial For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jensenspecial View Post
    sounds like somebody had a mishap with some hooker and is totally pissed of at the DR...in his story he was first walking the street at 10 pm...then all of a sudden he was sitting in a restaurant....bullshit...if that happens to you first thing after you get out you call your embassy or a representative...I have been her for 17 years but never heard such a bullshit...
    if that would have happened on a regular basis ther practically would be no foreigners living here.
    just my opinion...
    Thanks for chiming in Peter! I was hoping someone that has your expertise would. If you say it's bullshit...then I believe that alot more that someone I have never met.

Over On DR1, alot of people were talking about similar stories. From what I got from there, it sounded like this was common stuff. Have ya heard of these things happening or anything similar?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

This story has sooo many hole in it that I'm not even going to comment on it.
    You guys know BS when you hear it.

And 3somefan, some guy was thrown in jail for investigation of murder after he was involved in a fight that left the other person dead.

ALL persons suspected of a crime are kept in protective custody until the legal system figures out what happened.

It's incorrect to bring one incident into the story that has nothing to do with the BS story the OP wrote.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    This story has sooo many hole in it that I'm not even going to comment on it.
    You guys know BS when you hear it.

And 3somefan, some guy was thrown in jail for investigation of murder after he was involved in a fight that left the other person dead.

ALL persons suspected of a crime are kept in protective custody until the legal system figures out what happened.

It's incorrect to bring one incident into the story that has nothing to do with the BS story the OP wrote.
    I agree that the story sounds like BS.

However, what I was referring to by bringing the other situation was that, it seems like the Dominican Justice System is very screwed up to me. To hold a man without proof of him committing a crime, is a crime in it's self (IMHO). They could have took his passport so he couldn't leave as they investigated the crime. Shake downs and a messed up Justice System only frightens tourists and keeps them away. I think about this, "What if I was one of the unlucky ones, who by just being at the wrong place at the wrong time, could be held when a crime was never even committed by me!??!"

We do have this type of Judicial situation here in the US sometimes too though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Dont kid yourself. Our system here in the US is pretty screwed up too.
    GUILTY people with $ who walk free, and poor innocent people with only a public defender who take plea deals rather than possibly spend 15+ years hard time in jail for a crime they did not even commit. If thats not screwed up then I dont know what is.
    And try getting out of a $105 Parking ticket in NY city. Your guilty til proven innocent,go take the day off from work and fight it. And $105 is more than those people in DR make in a month. Can you blame them for thinking we must all be rich, and easy marks for a scam.
    Still not sure about this story, sounds very fishy to me.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The story has its questionable points but the guy came back on several times to answer questions and has another person who collaborated him telling the story in person and lives in Sosua. For him to push his point this far and be able to NAME some of the people who scammed him forces an investigation in my opinion. Is the story 100% true? whos knows but theres enough facts to warrant a SERIOUS investigation.

Do things like this happen in the US? Sure but does it make it ok? Hell no!

If this incident goes ignored it paves the way to allowing it to happen to anyone.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If it is true Beads, I agree that there should be some sort of investigation.

I don't want this crap happening to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 566 Posts

I have learned (through members of ISOC) that to make copies of your passport and leave your original in a safe, always have the phone numbers of the US Embassy in your pocket as well as attorney's (listed in the US Embassy web-site)
    Whenever you are in a 3rd world country you should take the necessary precautions to stay safe. I do not believe the story, but think that parts of it can be true. Are there bad cops in DR....hell ya, but what about Chicago, Detroit, NY, etc. be smart and know your where you are at!!!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

[quote=TPdog;355578]I have learned (through members of ISOC) that to make copies of your passport and leave your original in a safe, always have the phone numbers of the US Embassy in your pocket as well as attorney's (listed in the US Embassy web-site)
    Whenever you are in a 3rd world country you should take the necessary precautions to stay safe. I do not believe the story, but think that parts of it can be true. Are there bad cops in DR....hell ya, but what about Chicago, Detroit, NY, etc. be smart and know your where you are at!!![/quote]

EXCELLENT POST!

CASE CLOSED!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information