Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW TOURISTS CARDS

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gdogg
    During this last trip, I saw it written in several places that passports will be needed in the New Year. I don't know if this just for Americans, or just an American Airlines thing. I've hearing about this most of the year.
    I was told the same thing by an American Airline official but the web site indicates 2007 and the Govt web site indicates 2008.... So who knows!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts
    according to my travel agent it'll be atleast late 2006 and probably late 2007 if it happens...but who knows? :roll:
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

Thanks

Re: NEW TOURISTS CARDS

This is what happened in SDQ.

Bought a small credit card sized piece of paper with a mag strip on the back, then filled out a blue card (took another one to fill out on the way out) They was a big stack of them next to the booth where you buy your tourist card.

Gave immigration my card and the blue form, they stamped my passport. On the way out they took the white credit card sized card. I asked one of the immigration guys and he took me over and showed me a big sign that says "You do not need your tourist card to leave the country"

before I left I filled out the other blue card. Before you get to immigration there are more signs that say "You do not need your tourist card to leave the country" Went through immigration with just the blue form, no problems.

Apparently there was some confusion because there was still some of the green cards around.

All in all SDQ was very easy. No one asked for any tips and no one even tried to take my luggage for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

There was confusion in Santiago too, they wanted the credit card size paper too, and they took those when I enetered. I told them that and they let me go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg
    During this last trip, I saw it written in several places that passports will be needed in the New Year. I don't know if this just for Americans, or just an American Airlines thing. I've hearing about this most of the year.
    You can thank President Bush for this. All people entering the USA regardless of citizenship (US, Canadian or whatever) from the Caribean are required to have a passport. Not sure when the effective date is. They have postponed it once.

Apos, You better get that passport soon!

Nomad

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomad
    You can thank President Bush for this. All people entering the USA regardless of citizenship (US, Canadian or whatever) from the Caribean are required to have a passport. Not sure when the effective date is. They have postponed it once.

Nomad
    got the paperwork in front of me...it'll be in the mail after easter weekend!

Thanks

Nomad
    January 1, 2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches
    January 1, 2008
    postponed again? i thught it was supposed to be jan 1 2007?
    (originally jan 1 2006)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apos
    postponed again? i thught it was supposed to be jan 1 2007?
    (originally jan 1 2006)
    You are absolutely right! They are doing it in phases with the deadline being Dec 31, 2007. So 12/31/06 for air/sea travel and 12/31/07 for land/border crossings.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

You are absolutely right! They are doing it in phases with the deadline being Dec 31, 2007. So 12/31/06 for air/sea travel and 12/31/07 for land/border crossings.
    Anything to keep tourism alive...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

so for me to cross over in my car i won't need a passport till end of 2007 but to fly out of or into the USA i'll need it for my xmas trip this year...thanks.

i just have to get someone from my "home town" to vouch for me...easter weekend it is!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

They ask you how many days over are you?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks

Yeah right. Try that shit in Texas when we go to party every weekend in Boys Town. Will not happen. I have not heard anything about the land crossing. Will not fly. You would have seen too much on the news about it already.

Nomad

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah right. Try that shit in Texas when we go to party every weekend in Boys Town. Will not happen. I have not heard anything about the land crossing. Will not fly. You would have seen too much on the news about it already.

Nomad
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Thanks

I stand corrected. Still say lots of hell will be raised. On both sides of the borders. I have always used a passport. But have never shown anything to enter Mexico or return from Mexico to the US. I just say I am a American citizen. And then they ask me what I have in my bag. My bag has never been checked either. Well a dog has sniffed it. Just dirty laundry from a great weekend in Boys Town.

Stop Texans from Boys Town? I do not see it happening.

Nomad

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I stand corrected. Still say lots of hell will be raised. On both sides of the borders. I have always used a passport. But have never shown anything to enter Mexico or return from Mexico to the US. I just say I am a American citizen. And then they ask me what I have in my bag. My bag has never been checked either. Well a dog has sniffed it. Just dirty laundry from a great weekend in Boys Town.

Stop Texans from Boys Town? I do not see it happening.

Nomad
    i don't think anyone will be stopping them...slowing them down perhaps. i agree that it's unlikely to be a smooth transition...the lineups could be veeeeeeery looooong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apos
    i don't think anyone will be stopping them...slowing them down perhaps. i agree that it's unlikely to be a smooth transition...the lineups could be veeeeeeery looooong
    I can see it now. Horny Texans swimming the Rio Grande in the opposite direction so they can get to Boys Town! LMAO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 466 Posts

ALERT - I forgot to add a new procedure last trip (March 16). I bought the tourist card and as soon as I passed out of Immigration (before baggage claim), a guy was standing there collecting them again. I asked it if was a new procedure, he said yes.

Sure enough, when I flew back out, nobody asked me for the card again.

So not sure what that was about, but I had my tourist card about 3 minutes total.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B_J_Lover
    ALERT - I forgot to add a new procedure last trip (March 16). I bought the tourist card and as soon as I passed out of Immigration (before baggage claim), a guy was standing there collecting them again. I asked it if was a new procedure, he said yes.

Sure enough, when I flew back out, nobody asked me for the card again.

So not sure what that was about, but I had my tourist card about 3 minutes total.
    I can co-sign on that! I bought my blue entrance/exit card at JFK jet blue counter. They took both attached cards on the way in and asked for nothing on the way out last week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information