Thread: How about transportation from SDQ to BC

Thanks

Question How about transportation from SDQ to BC

Does anyone knows the best transportation to use from SDQ airport to Boca Chica (BC). I have read some threads recommending to avoid taxis. But; what alternatives do you have? I am not sure about renting a car since I never been there and don't know my way around. And what do you do with a car in BC? I heard it is a very small place and that you can walk around without the need of transportation. Do they have buses coming and going between SDQ and BC? Any help will be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Re: How about transportation from SDQ to BC

Take a public taxi there. My #1 choice.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goodmasterson View Post
    Does anyone knows the best transportation to use from SDQ airport to Boca Chica (BC). I have read some threads recommending to avoid taxis. But; what alternatives do you have? I am not sure about renting a car since I never been there and don't know my way around. And what do you do with a car in BC? I heard it is a very small place and that you can walk around without the need of transportation. Do they have buses coming and going between SDQ and BC? Any help will be appreciated!

If you plan to visit a chica-casa, then avoid taxi's and tour guides (especially guys who speak fluent English and guys who ride the motos) because they will get a cut (a commission) from the chica-casa.

Since you plan to stay in Boca Chica and it is your first time, then I think you should not rent a car. Boca Chica is a small city so you can just walk around.

There are buses that take you from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica (and vice versa). But there is no bus that will take you from the airport to Boca Chica.

I guess you can negotiate with the cab drivers at the airport. And if you travel with a friend, the two of you can split the cab fare.

Do not tell the cab drivers that this is your first trip to the DR.

If the cab drivers give you a ridiculous rate, then just tell them, "But Boca Chica is only 7 or 8 kilometers from here?!?" "My friends paid much less!!!" and just walk away and negotiate with another cab driver.

When do you plan to visit the DR?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, Che-no and Jimmi Dr. I will take a taxi from SDQ to Boca Chica. I read on the threads that the going rate is US $22. I will be there on Oct 3 and will be staying at the Costalunga. I also plan to visit Santo Domingo during my time there.

Thanks

Thanks, Che-no and Jimmi Dr. I will take a taxi from SDQ to Boca Chica. I read on the threads that the going rate is US $22. I will be there on Oct 3 and will be staying at the Costalunga. I also plan to visit Santo Domingo during my time there.

You are referring to the airport correct?

If you have any questions about Santo Domingo, please feel free and let me know.

Good night.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

www.taxidominicano.com can take you to boca chica and also take you on a tour of SD hotspots etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes; I was referring to the airport. Thanks you guys for your help! I am getting ready for this trip and there is always questions when you travel to a foreign location for the first time. I just found out that my T-Mobil cell phone will work in DR; so, I will be able to call home; the catch is, they want to charge me $1.38 per minute...Hell no! I am planning to buy an international phone card, unless, anyone knows a better way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Goodmasterson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes; I was referring to the airport. Thanks you guys for your help! I am getting ready for this trip and there is always questions when you travel to a foreign location for the first time. I just found out that my T-Mobil cell phone will work in DR; so, I will be able to call home; the catch is, they want to charge me $1.38 per minute...Hell no! I am planning to buy an international phone card, unless, anyone knows a better way.

Please feel free and ask any questions that you have. All of us in I.S.O.C. are here to help each other.

I have service with Verizon and they charge $1.49 per minute for calls I make and receive in the DR. So I just tell my family and friends to email me. lol

I'm sorry but I do not know a better way. Hopefully someone else will answer it for you.
    Anyway, call T-mobile and tell them that you will be using your phone in the DR.

Have a safe and fun trip to the DR!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 857 Posts

I'm not sure if the International Card would save you much, since you might still need to pay roaming charges.

You might be better off buying an Orange Phone for about $35US. Using their calling cards costs about 25 cents per minute. There's an Orange store as you enter BC, near the Shell gas station.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuba Libre For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Goto an Orange Shop in Santo Domingo and purchase a new SIM card. It will have a Dominican phone number assigned to it. The SIM card should cost around 350-400 pesos and it will include a 100-150 pesos credit to your account. Making calls to other DR numbers costs 7 pesos a minute. International calls, I believe it was costing me roughly 12-15 pesos a minute to call back to the US. To receive calls is free. You buy phone cards in 100 peso denominations and add that to your account, very similar to a "Pay As You Go Phone" here in the states.

As long as you add pesos to the card once every 3 months, your SIM card will remain active. But if too much time passes without adding funds to the account then the SIM card and your DR phone number will no longer work and you will have to buy a new SIM card.

I'm down there enough times that I haven't had my SIM card/number cancelled on me. But if you've got some psychotic chica chasing you down and she has your phone number... just go buy a new SIM card and she'll never be able to get ahold of you again.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dijinn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Money Re: How about transportation from SDQ to BC

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeno View Post
    Please feel free and ask any questions that you have. All of us in I.S.O.C. are here to help each other.

I have service with Verizon and they charge $1.49 per minute for calls I make and receive in the DR. So I just tell my family and friends to email me. lol

I'm sorry but I do not know a better way.
    No wonder your phone went straight to voicemail when I called. Next time take your Verizon phone to the Claro shop and they will set you up with a second line on the same phone (NAM2). This will be an 829 number and you will be able to reactivate this same number on subsequent trips.

This service is free with the purchase of a 100rd peso (not a typo) phone card which they will activate for you. I always get an additional 250rd peso card which they'll also program in free of charge.

Your newly "Dominicanized" phone will provide you with outgoing calls anywhere in the DR or US for 7 cents a minute and all incoming calls are free. I've done this on my last 6 trips and Claro (used to be Verizon) is my first stop when I arrive. When you get past customs upon your return to the US simply select NAM1 on your "service" menu.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you Greydread for your reply and info. I greatly appreciate it!!!

Have a good day.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,086 Times in 688 Posts

About the cell phone's in the d r I buy a cingular 19.99 go phone take it to orange they charge 30 buck's in boca chica rip off.....but only 10 bucks in san juan de la maguana for everything sim card and number add min and talk away....then I give it to the best chica (best bbbj) that doesn't have a phone already....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    No wonder your phone went straight to voicemail when I called. Next time take your Verizon phone to the Claro shop and they will set you up with a second line on the same phone (NAM2). This will be an 829 number and you will be able to reactivate this same number on subsequent trips.

This service is free with the purchase of a 100rd peso (not a typo) phone card which they will activate for you. I always get an additional 250rd peso card which they'll also program in free of charge.

Your newly "Dominicanized" phone will provide you with outgoing calls anywhere in the DR or US for 7 cents a minute and all incoming calls are free. I've done this on my last 6 trips and Claro (used to be Verizon) is my first stop when I arrive. When you get past customs upon your return to the US simply select NAM1 on your "service" menu.

Just be careful when you have this programming done. One of my wingmen brought his Verizon cell phone down to the DR and it was a model that could be programmed with a NAM2 number. He left his phone at the Claro shop, came back 2 hours later and he was up and running around the DR with a dominican phone number.

We got back to the states a few days later and his phone wouldn't work when he switched it over to NAM1. He called Verizon on my cell but they couldn't help him over the phone so, he ended up having to go into a Verizon store. Long story short, Verizon said he voided the warranty on the phone with the programming and so, they wouldn't touch it. He ended up having to purchase a new cell phone (which wasn't cheap) to have service again here in the States. Now, he carries down the "dominicanized" Verizon phone with him to the DR and uses it exclusively down there since it won't work up here anymore.

Now, I'm not saying this is a normal occurence but if you have a critical phone, then you might want to think twice before letting them reprogram it. I own a Treo 700w and was told it does not support a NAM2 function so, it couldn't be programmed for use in the DR. After my buddy's adventure, I'm now glad that I didn't have it reprogrammed! I simply bought an unlocked GSM phone and just bring that down with me to the DR.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Laughing Re: How about transportation from SDQ to BC

As an alternative (if you are skittish about additional programming on your primary phone) my buddy bought a burner at the same Claro shop while I was waiting for mine to be activated (I won't leave and come back and if it takes 2 hours they're doing it wrong). He paid 800RD pesos for a brand new phone, already activated with 100 minutes. When he left they gave him 400RD pesos on the return. $12 buck for a cellular phone for the week ain't bad.

Claro is the shiznit. Not an ad but an emphatic endorsement.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,539 Times in 1,755 Posts

Cheeno,

I will be in Santo Domingo from 10/3 - 10/7. Any chance you will be around? I consider you to be a man of vast knowledge.

The Mac Man

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Passport Playa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigmac View Post
    Cheeno,

I will be in Santo Domingo from 10/3 - 10/7. Any chance you will be around? I consider you to be a man of vast knowledge.

The Mac Man

Hello craigmac

I am undecided. When I have the exact dates, I will post it in the "Countdown" section.

Have a good day.

Thread Information